Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New D7000v1 Firmware V1.0.1.78

FrankBough
Star

Chas I just found a post which may help your circumstances ..

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-78-Remote-Access-is...

"

Once the firmware update has completed, go into the Remote Management section, unselect the Remote Management and click apply. Then select it again (Tick - Remote Managment to on) and select apply. This will initiate the Remote Management and give you remote access to the admin console as normal.

NOTE: You will only have this issue if the Remote Management access has been selected to on before you update to this version of the firmware...otherwise you will be fine.

"

Message 26 of 34
tominwi
Luminary

I don't believe Frank that the Remote Management discussed in that thread is what Chas needs. We can get-into our D7000s from outside of our networks by using that Remote Access setting and a browser. What we can NOT do is use the Remote Access button of our iPhone Genie app to access it, which is very much more convenient especially if as Chas has said he wants to be able to easily reboot the router.

On the router the setting we are talking about I believe is the Dynamic DNS in Advanced Setup, where you can "Use a Dynamic DNS Service" and select NETGEAR as a Service Provider. Then the app is supposed to be able to access one's specific chosenhostname.mynetgear.com using one's Netgear account credentials.

At least, this is my understanding and Chas will chime-in if I've gotten this wrong.

Message 27 of 34
Chas8ch
Aspirant

Hi Frank and Tominwi,

Thanks for your research and advice into this problem.  I apologise for my tardy reply, but had a most enjoyable red wine and roast dinner yesterday. 

I was quite excited to read the link that Frank provided, and re-updated to .78, but this did not address the problem I was having.  Having said that, I am now going to remain on .78 in order that, should there be a further update to resolve the problem, I would be made aware of the fact on the Windows PC Genie.

I had a look at the following webpage https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx and the Genie Remote Access video link demonstrates how it should work. For now though I shall keep the IP address shown in Windows Genie, Advanced, Advanced Setup, Remote Management, Remote Management Address, and port :8443 as a bookmark on my iphone browser.

This method will allow me to reboot remotely, should it be necessary in the future when unable to access a laptop or PC.

Thanks again,

Chas H

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 28 of 34
tominwi
Luminary

I DL'ed the Genie application for Windows, which it seems I might have tried years ago and then uninstalled, and the application does not work for me--I can't even login to the router locally. Just spins & spins.

I just don't think any of this Genie app stuff works with our "old" v1 D7000.

Message 29 of 34
Chas8ch
Aspirant

Hi Tominwi,

I am running Windows 7 Pro and the Genie app is Ver 2.4.62.  It worked fine with .74 but suffers the same connectivity flaw as the IOS version for iPhone, except that it clearly has a Cloud icon, and the router is logged in, but still no functionality remotely. 

Locally, on the same Wi-Fi it works fine.

All the best,

Chas

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 30 of 34
tominwi
Luminary

I downloaded Genie 2.4.62 for my W7Pro64bit and had trouble with the logon dialog so abandoned it--I just don't see a need for this on my laptop since any browser gets me everywhere I need to go.

The Genie app is *almost* as frustrating as working with this Community. It seems as I've tried to square my Netgear account with the Genie Remote account, it has jazzed-up my ID here somehow. Sometimes I arrive here and find I am logged-out, and it won't recognize my email to log back in, and other times (like this one) I click on my Bookmark and it comes-up with tominwi just as it should. What I don't understand is why there is a netgear.com login requirement and then a separate Community login requirement in the first place. Seriously messed-up, and I am learning to hate Netgear for it!

Smiley Sad

Message 31 of 34

@tominwi wrote:

What I don't understand is why there is a netgear.com login requirement and then a separate Community login requirement in the first place.

Some of us, many of us, perhaps even most of us, prefer to have separate logins for this Community and for mynetgear and Remote Access to our devices.

I do not want the same logins here and at mynetgear.

Why? Because using the same credentials is much more open to abuse should someone lay their hands on Netgear's computers. It has happened to too many organisations that hold much more sensitive data than this place.

You are free to use the same username and password here if you are happy to accept the risks. But do not force the same slack security regime on everyone else.

@tominwi wrote:

I downloaded Genie 2.4.62 for my W7Pro64bit and had trouble with the logon dialog so abandoned it--I just don't see a need for this on my laptop since any browser gets me everywhere I need to go.

Perhaps some of us need to go to places that you don't plan to visit.

The desktop app has separate maps that are not available in the router's graphical user interface (GUI). Have you tried working on a powerline network in a router? The genie app has a neat little map and some control over the plugs.

Have you worked out how to get your router to alert you whenever something joins your network? The desktop genie can, if you choose, provide you with endless delight as it bings and bongs when something joins in.

Let's not go into the simple things that can be easier with the desktop software.

As to your problems with the logon dialog, there may be fixes. I certainly don't see any problems with login dialogues.

Message 32 of 34
tominwi
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

@tominwi wrote:

What I don't understand is why there is a netgear.com login requirement and then a separate Community login requirement in the first place.

Some of us, many of us, perhaps even most of us, prefer to have separate logins for this Community and for mynetgear and Remote Access to our devices.

This is not the thread for it, but if you could direct me to somewhere that this might be discussed here I would appreciate it, because in fact I would LOVE to have "separate logins" for Community vs netgear.com (the one where my two devices are registered) and also I guess mynetgear for DDNS, but I don't see how to separate the first two. For example, here in Community I see nowhere in my Profile or Settings where I can change e.g. email login or password. Can you tell me exactly where to look?

As for Genie, can you use it successfully with v78 as Chas has said he cannot?

Message 33 of 34

@tominwi wrote:

This is not the thread for it, but if you could direct me to somewhere that this might be discussed here I would appreciate it, because in fact I would LOVE to have "separate logins" for Community vs netgear.com (the one where my two devices are registered) and also I guess mynetgear for DDNS, but I don't see how to separate the first two.

Logout

Go to the community.

My Community

Create a new account.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7