Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New DGND3700 giving an error

Eveglori
Aspirant

New DGND3700 giving an error

This morning I purchased a N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigibit ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGND3700) and happily plugged it in and followed the instructions... and that was when it went wrong. Every light would happily light up green (or blue in the case of that one light) except for the internet connection, which remained a vibrant red.

After following the instructions given for UK users if they were having issues with connectivity... still nothing. I tried with different phone and ethernet cables (in case a faulty cable had been packed) and there was still no difference.

After running the Windows Troubleshooter it came up with:
Error: The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken.
The network gateway is accessible, but Windows could not receive network traffic.

I then took it to another phone socket and tried the same rigmarole with another computer to get the exact same result.

I have plugged my old DGNB2100 in and gotten it to resume limping along (hence my ability to be here), so the phone line and ISP service seem to not be at issue here as I was able to connect to the internet before and after with this model.

So I come with a string of questions (and please, bear in mind that I do need to be talked to like a child to understand all this XD):

- Is this something to do with Windows 7?
- Is this a problem with the modem router itself, or with settings the two computers (apparently) share?
- Is there a way to fix this or do I need to get a new router and try again?
- If I need a new router, should I try another DGND3700 or go with DGND3300 or DGN3500?
-Is it worth returning the DGND3700 and getting the DGND3300 or DGND3500 in any case?

Any and all advice would be lovely because I'm exhausted by this and all I get from searches are answers with "DON'T DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!" practically blazened across it, which frankly terrify me because... well, clearly I don't XD
Message 1 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: New DGND3700 giving an error

Firstly it may help to check which firmware you have installed. Can you please report this back.

If you haven't got v1.0.0.17, navigate to the Netgear website, download and install the latest firmware (Worldwide version). Make sure that you are connected to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Now reset the router by pressing the reset button for around 10 seconds. This will wipe any custom setting that you have already made.

Re-enter the ADSL settings carefully. Don't use the 'auto-detect' option as this appears to be unreliable.

When looking at the settings, check that you have PPPoA instead of PPPoE selected, for example.

I won't pretend to know all the ISP settings, but could you post your ISP name and what ADSL connection you are on (i.e. ADSL, ADSL2 or ADSL2+).
Message 2 of 15
Eveglori
Aspirant

Some questions that I'm sure are silly but... Piece of mind before I try anything ^^;

Can I download the firmware to my computer using the router modem I'm on now, and then install it to the new router? I'm assuming that without the internet connection I won't be able to do it once I've switched the routers over.

By "auto detect" do you mean in the set up wizard? So I should choose to do it manually and set it as PPPoA, along with my log in details? If not could you go into more detail about that aspect of setting up the router?

My ISP is AOL UK (I know, I keep meaning to switch) and I honestly don't know what ASDL connection I have - how do I find this out? I can use a BT availability checker to tell me what I can get (and it mentions all three types), but not what I have.

The only thing I can tell you is that the router I currently have limping along has the ADSL settings set as VC-BASED VPI:0 VCI:38 (which doesn't seem right to me? I'm sure it used to be something else..?)

... Also it might be something to do with my ISP now I look at that Availability check:
"Note: There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 20th January 2012. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but will delay the provision of the new Broadband service."

... We pay all out bills on time, can they even do that?! oO
Message 3 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

Eveglori wrote:
Can I download the firmware to my computer using the router modem I'm on now, and then install it to the new router? I'm assuming that without the internet connection I won't be able to do it once I've switched the routers over.

Sorry, yes download with the old router connected, then connect the DGND3700 directly to your computer to install it.

Eveglori wrote:
By "auto detect" do you mean in the set up wizard? So I should choose to do it manually and set it as PPPoA, along with my log in details?

Spot on. 🙂 Enter them manually, do not use the wizard and the auto detect facility.

Eveglori wrote:
My ISP is AOL UK (I know, I keep meaning to switch) and I honestly don't know what ASDL connection I have - how do I find this out? I can use a BT availability checker to tell me what I can get (and it mentions all three types), but not what I have.

The only thing I can tell you is that the router I currently have limping along has the ADSL settings set as VC-BASED VPI:0 VCI:38 (which doesn't seem right to me? I'm sure it used to be something else..?)

Also check this page: http://www.routerlogin.net/WAN_wan.htm (WAN Setup) and ensure that 'WAN Preference' is set to either 'Auto-Detect' or 'Must use DSL WAN'.

Eveglori wrote:
... Also it might be something to do with my ISP now I look at that Availability check:
"Note: There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 20th January 2012. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but will delay the provision of the new Broadband service."

... We pay all out bills on time, can they even do that?! oO

Could you post your old router's connection stats please? I should be able to tell from there whether you are ADSL1, 2 or 2+.

As for that message - check with AOL.
Message 4 of 15
Eveglori
Aspirant

You're a star - thank you for explaining things clearly ^^

I'm taking your advice and going to be having a heart-to-heart with AOL before I try anything at this point because it could be them - looking at other packages I'm being told I can reach 13.5 Mbps - 20.5 Mbps on one site and between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) on another.

This is while I'm not even reaching speeds of 0.50mbps for the majority of the day with AOL.

Seems like I might need to apologise to my old router for cursing it out for the speed problem, and once I've gotten these things sorted apologise to my new one for not giving it a proper chance yet XD

It's weird how these things show up when you're trying to sort out an unrelated problem. The router might still be shot - we'll see before long XD
Message 5 of 15
Eveglori
Aspirant

I hate to double post but I can't edit *chuckles*

Called AOL and after some baffling things (automated message welcomed me as a new customer and told me that my service would begin on the 20th January, so I gather they're messing with the lines; they've raised the price without any prior notification) most of all their refusal to help me because I have a Netgear router and not one of their own...

I've ordered my MAC and am changing companies. Whether I get that MAC is a whole other kettle of fish and it seems I might have a bit of a battle on my hands.

A hundred thank yous, Scubbie, for your help 😃 If when I've changed providers their router doesn't work out the way it ought to then I'll try again with the DGND3700, and if I continue to have problems then I'll put your advice into practice and see where I get!
Message 6 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

Do keep an eye on things.

If you are considering moving, do take a look at SamKnows to see which ISPs have their equipment in your exchange. These will offer the best packages and prices.

Personally for me I am very happy with Sky, but at the moment I don't have the option for Fibre. Virgin doesn't reach my home, yet they will reach everyone else surrounding me and I won't ever go back to BT for anything.
Message 7 of 15
Eveglori
Aspirant

Sky sadly has a bad reputation for their broadband in my area (to be fair I want to throttle them over their TV most of the time too), and Virgin have cables nearby but they don't come up near my house and have no plans to lay cables here. I can get their service via the phone line, but it's not the same. We would have loved to have the complete Virgin Media package XD

We got a letter in the post (after I made the call) telling me that on the 20th January they're updating the lines in my area so I get a better AOL experience and speeds. Sadly by then I'd decided that if I can call them days after that letter was posted and ask if there's work being done on the lines on the 20th January and they don't have a clue... I'm tired of trying to make my experience with them work. I've wanted to swap out for a while now and this is as good a time as any.

What's pretty worrying is that looking on SamKnows it's telling me that "This exchange has BT Wholesale as the sole provider of broadband services." So it seems that everything is run off the back of BT anyway.

The only green checks are:

Broadband availability overview
ADSL: Yes

BT Wholesale information
ADSL status: Enabled as of 22/10/2003
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
21CN WBC status: Enabled

So... would cutting out the middleman and just going with BT be the best option or..?

... Gosh I realise how little I know about these things the more I type ^^;
Message 8 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

If you were to post you exchange code, then I would have a better idea about what to suggest.

There are currently two type of Sky broadband, for example. If you have Sky's equipment in your exchange, then the Unlimited product is certainly the best value ADSL product IMHO at the moment. However if you do not have Sky's equipment, then I would never recommend that you take up the Sky Connect package.

Plus Net, whilst owned by BT, do offer a good product. Since their call centre is based in the UK too you get a fairly good service level as well. They resell BT Wholesale products.

I helped someone to move from Virgin Cable to Plus Net last month and we were all shocked to find the telephone line was enabled 2 hours after signing up (that isn't a typo!). The broadband took a little longer as someone had to visit the exchange though, but she is up and running now, 2 weeks after signing up.

As for Sky's TV package, it really depends on what you are interested in. It is a subscription service and the choice of viewing material is considerable. The same person moved from Virgin's basic TV package to Sky's Entertainment package and again she is happy. Also the monthly bill should now be a little less for her.
Message 9 of 15
Eveglori
Aspirant

It's more the rate at which the Sky boxes seem to run down - I think we just have hideous luck with technogoly to be fair.

Exchange code: SMPT

I have a feeling that our options aren't exactly many?
Message 10 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

Eveglori wrote:
It's more the rate at which the Sky boxes seem to run down - I think we just have hideous luck with technogoly to be fair.

Sky have changed their STBs over the years. One particular make (Thomson) has a bad reputation with regards to the PSU. The capacitors tend to fail and brings down the LNB and the built in HD if not dealt with soon enough.

There have been several others since then and the current STB is fairly reliable.

Sky does keep tweaking the firmware. This can fix issues, but also introduces new ones. :confused:

Eveglori wrote:
...I have a feeling that our options aren't exactly many?

You're right - TalkTalk is showing that they planned to install their LLU equipment last September, otherwise there is no one else with their LLU equipment in your exchange.

Since Sky does not have their equipment in the exchange, anyone locally will have been sold Sky BB Connect which is not a good package. I frequent an independent Sky support site and generally we do not recommend Connect for anyone.

I used to be with Eclipse and found them to be a very good ISP, unfortunately I had to have the telephone with BT and they messed me up big time. You would be able to use your own router with them.

PlusNet, although owned by BT, are giving a good level of service and will take the phone & broadband. You should also be able to get an ADSL2+ connection with them as BT has 21CN equipment. PlusNet also allow you to use your own router, a point made when you order the connection as you are asked whether you want to use your own or pay £5 for the postage of their router.
Message 11 of 15
Eveglori
Aspirant

I was looking at PlusNet after you mentioned them but I'm worried that with 4 regular internet users (and in the case of two of us, chronic users and semi-regular gamers (XBox and WoW sorts)) if 40GB a month would be enough.

It's why I feel like I'd be willing to pay that bit extra for Unlimited because then any one of us can't sap up all the download allowance and affect the rest of the family, which as such led us to looking at BT packages.

My brother's main argument for them is that his friends who live literally 1-2 minutes away are on BT, they use it for XBox Live as well as regular internet use and they've never had a problem with the service, and as such we should be the same. I'm more inclined that while it is a reasonable argument it's also highly flawed because we can't account for if their phone line is better than ours and what not XD

I also gather from your response that with BT it's not really an option to use your own router?
Message 12 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

Eveglori wrote:
I was looking at PlusNet after you mentioned them but I'm worried that with 4 regular internet users (and in the case of two of us, chronic users and semi-regular gamers (XBox and WoW sorts)) if 40GB a month would be enough.

One of the great features on the DGND3700 is the Traffic Meter. You can see this answer for yourself. Gaming itself doesn't take a lot of bandwidth, but the various updates do.

PlusNet also do a 60GB monthly usage too.

Take a look at this page for a list of other ISPs and from there you should be able to see their usage limits. Eclipse does a 100GB monthly usage. They also have a policy of 'unlimited' usage between midnight and 9am and do not include the upload either, but do check as this may have changed since I last looked.

Eveglori wrote:
It's why I feel like I'd be willing to pay that bit extra for Unlimited because then any one of us can't sap up all the download allowance and affect the rest of the family, which as such led us to looking at BT packages.

My brother's main argument for them is that his friends who live literally 1-2 minutes away are on BT, they use it for XBox Live as well as regular internet use and they've never had a problem with the service, and as such we should be the same. I'm more inclined that while it is a reasonable argument it's also highly flawed because we can't account for if their phone line is better than ours and what not XD

Most Internet connections are quite reliable. It is how a company deals with you when things go wrong. My experience with BT India is something that I would never wish to have repeated and I never recommend BT to anyone now.

As for being 'Unlimited' you have to ask yourself why Ofcom had to rewrite the definition of the word. Unlimited to me means 'Unlimited' not with exceptions as is the case with all other ISPs.

Last November I hammered my connection through Torrents and Sky has not done anything with my connection as a consequence. Most other ISPs will throttle back the torrents during peak hours or reduce your upload speed as a result.

Ping results are the key thing for gamers. A good upload speed is also essential. As for which ISP you are on compared to another gamer, again this doesn't really matter.

As for their connection compared to your own, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that BTO are now only installing new lines with Copper Coated Aluminium cable. On top of the fact that you may be further from the exchange, this could be a sensible reason why his connection is better than yours.

Eveglori wrote:
I also gather from your response that with BT it's not really an option to use your own router?

Yes you can use your own router on a BT connection. I took Eclipse for BB because they offered be a better deal at the time.
Message 13 of 15
theTechman05
Aspirant

I helped someone to move from Virgin Cable to Plus Net last month and we were all shocked to find the telephone line was enabled 2 hours after signing up (that isn't a typo!). The broadband took a little longer as someone had to visit the exchange though, but she is up and running now, 2 weeks after signing up.

I had been told with my telephone service my package would start several weeks after I had called. After when that day had been passed I called to complain and they had it up in 15 minutes. All the support technician had to do was for the most part send a command and I was up and running.

They can be fast when they want to. Just make sure the person understands you and you check your bill when the time comes.
Message 14 of 15
Scubbie
Apprentice

They certainly can be quick when it suits them. The normal process in the UK takes a couple of weeks and you are normally swapping from one supplier to another using the same line, but perhaps different equipment.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7