Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Modem/Router Not Seeing Devices

DJH1956
Aspirant

New Modem/Router Not Seeing Devices

My home network had all wired devices connected to a Netgear FS116 Fast Ethernet Switch, which in turn was connected to the WAN port on my Belkin Modem/Router.  This modem/router failed and I replaced it today with a D7000 Modem/Router.  This device satisfactorily installed and achieved an ADSL connection to my broadband provider with no problems, and satisfactorily connected to all my wifi devices.  However, it will not see any wired device connected to the Fast Ethernet Switch.  If I bypass the switch and connect any device (computers, printer, TVs, TV tuners, etc) directly to an ethernet port on the new Modem/Router, then it is visible in the Netgear Genie App, and connection to the internet is achieved.  As soon as the device is reconnected via the ethernet switch, the device disappears and internet connection is lost.

What am I doing wrong/not doing correctly? Thanks in anticipation.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
DJH1956
Aspirant

Re: New Modem/Router Not Seeing Devices

Problem solved.  It pays not to make assumptions about new equipment!

The Belkin Router/Modem had a differently coloured ethernet port, designated as WAN, which was quite happy to take an ethernet connection to the switch.  The new D7000 Router/Modem has a different coloured ethernet port, designated as Internet, which is not happy to take an ethernet connection to the switch.  All it took was to connect the switch to a regular ethernet port on the new router/modem and, hey presto, all wired devices can now connect to the internet.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
DJH1956
Aspirant

Re: New Modem/Router Not Seeing Devices

Problem solved.  It pays not to make assumptions about new equipment!

The Belkin Router/Modem had a differently coloured ethernet port, designated as WAN, which was quite happy to take an ethernet connection to the switch.  The new D7000 Router/Modem has a different coloured ethernet port, designated as Internet, which is not happy to take an ethernet connection to the switch.  All it took was to connect the switch to a regular ethernet port on the new router/modem and, hey presto, all wired devices can now connect to the internet.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7