Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New N600 (DGND3700) wont connect to internet

petepda
Aspirant

New N600 (DGND3700) wont connect to internet

Morning all - first post here.

I just bought a N600/DGND3700 to replace my previous Netgear modem/router/wifi unit (DGN2000 or something like that - white with two aerials) as that was playing up intermittently (on the wifi side). I've copied across all the settings for my ISP from the 2000 to the N600 and checked/double checked them, but the new unit just wont connect to the internet.

The connection light on the front of the DGND3700 has been green sometimes, but my laptop and other wireless devices (iPhone/iPad etc) wont connect through to the internet. They're all seeing the wifi network and connect to the router ok, but access to the internet just isn't possible. I checked with the ISP and they said they'd seen nothing connecting to their network since I disconnected the old modem/router.

I've tried swapping the telephone cable and the filter, but nothing makes a difference.

I put the old 2000 unit back on and it connects straight away.

Any ideas what's going wrong?
Message 1 of 15
Joe_
Apprentice

Reset the modem/router to factory defaults and disconnect the power for at least 10 seconds, and try setting up the unit again from scratch. Ensure you use a wired connection to your PC and ensure you follow all steps in the PDF manual.

If your ISP requires log in, ensure that you enter all the info provided correctly.

Ensure DHCP is enabled (unless you are using static IP).
Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The manual shows two diffierent paths to follow depending on your ISP requirements. I read them both and would suggest you start their again using the setup wizard if you haven't allready done so. As Joe stated above if your ISP requires a log on be sure you have entered all the correct info. If it does NOT require a log on then you may have to call them with your routers WAN MAC or enter old WAN MAC in the setup page. I would think that the ISP support would had asked for it if that was the case. The support page only shows 1.0.0.12 but says it removed VDSL support in this version, that would make you think the first version was pulled for some reason. Go to support and download 1.0.0.12 using the old router and try updating the firmware if needed. If none of this helps try Netgear Support and or return it while you still can.
Message 3 of 15
petepda
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions folks - I'll try them this evening.

My ISP does require a log-in, but I checked with them that I had the right info. I've never had to provide a modem MAC before though, so I'm not sure if this is the problem.

I did follow the setup wizard first time and it found a fixed IP service, whereas again I checked with my ISP who said it was definitely not fixed. Again, on my old modem, it's not fixed.
Message 4 of 15
Joe_
Apprentice

petepda wrote:
I checked with the ISP and they said they'd seen nothing connecting to their network since I disconnected the old modem/router.

When you "checked with the ISP", did you tell them you were in the process of changing your modem/router? Or maybe you did not think it had any bearing on the problem?

petepda wrote:
I've never had to provide a modem MAC before though, so I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Have you tried searay's suggestion to enter the old modem/router's MAC in the field Use This MAC Address. I rather suspect that this will work. If this is the case, you can either allow it to continue to work that way or ask your ISP to allow internet access on your new MAC address.
Message 5 of 15
petepda
Aspirant

Thanks Joe,

In answer to your questions:

Yes, I did tell the ISP that I was attempting to connect with a new modem.

Haven't tried the MAC address thing yet, but will give it a go now.

Weird thing is, when I first set the modem up, the internet light comes on green and the router status page suggests that it is connecting, but as soon as I try to connect to the internet through my laptop or iPhone via wireless (that I'd already set up and connected to these devices), the modem disconnects and the light goes red.

Does this give any clues?

I have checked the firmware by the way - it's already at the latest version.
Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry for short answer I keep getting error when trying to post Call ISP and confirm your settings if still same problem return router or exchage for another
Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try this again Reason for above answer is we do not know your location or ISP and could go on guessing and making suggestions. If you call ISP Support and confirm all is setup correctly and you still have same problem then replace or return 3700. You are paying them for a service and it's thier responilbility to help. Good Luck!
Message 8 of 15
Joe_
Apprentice

searay wrote:
Try this again

Yes! I ran into some problems too when I was trying to post yesterday.

searay wrote:
we do not know your location or ISP and could go on guessing and making suggestions.

It's a common problem that we face with a shortage of all sorts of info. As if trying to troubleshoot without being on site weren't hard enough.

searay wrote:
If you call ISP Support and confirm all is setup correctly and you still have same problem then replace or return 3700. You are paying them for a service and it's thier responilbility to help.

I agree. You may very well have a faulty unit. Don't wait 'till too late to return it!

petepda wrote:
Yes, I did tell the ISP that I was attempting to connect with a new modem.

And they didn't ask you for the new MAC address or anything like that?

petepda wrote:
Haven't tried the MAC address thing yet, but will give it a go now.

You could also try to spoof (that's what it's called) the original computer's MAC that your internet service was set up with. Some ISPs used to only allow the original MAC to have access, although ISPs have more or less stopped doing that. What MAC address is your old DGND2000 set to use? If other than it's own, you could try that (MAC).

petepda wrote:
Weird thing is, when I first set the modem up, the internet light comes on green and the router status page suggests that it is connecting...

If I may ask a stupid question: Did you use a wired (ethernet cable) connection when you first set up the DGND3700?

petepda wrote:
but as soon as I try to connect to the internet through my laptop or iPhone via wireless (that I'd already set up and connected to these devices), the modem disconnects and the light goes red.

There isn't much to set up as such. Your wireless client device detects your AP (among others) and you connect, enter password, and select automatically connect (for future auto-connects).

petepda wrote:
I have checked the firmware by the way - it's already at the latest version.

I suppose you do this from the DGND3700's GUI?
Message 9 of 15
Joe_
Apprentice

petepda,

Did you see this thread?:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=68997

(BTW, you are in the wrong forum buddy, but nobody pays much attention to that anyway. 🙂 )
Message 10 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Joe_ wrote:
(BTW, you are in the wrong forum buddy, but nobody pays much attention to that anyway. 🙂 )

Except the person who has to move it 😉

A 'Please move to {whatever forum}' message would help in future 🙂
Message 11 of 15
petepda
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help here - I really appreciate this as the frustration is reaching new levels after spending 3 hours playing with it last night. Apologies for dropping this in the wrong forum by the way. I'm new to this site.

I'm in the UK by the way, ISP is Plusnet. I've double checked all the ISP data with the original modem and with the ISP - all is exactly the same. I did manage to get my laptop and iPhone to connect to the internet late last night after various reboots etc. Not really sure what made it happen in the end. However, I then tried to connect the iMac, but that did the same thing - appeared to connect after a few attempts, but then as soon as I tried to load a webpage, it dropped connection and the red ADSL light on the modem came on.

Joe_ wrote:

And they didn't ask you for the new MAC address or anything like that?

Nope - they never have done.

Joe_ wrote:
You could also try to spoof (that's what it's called) the original computer's MAC that your internet service was set up with. Some ISPs used to only allow the original MAC to have access, although ISPs have more or less stopped doing that. What MAC address is your old DGND2000 set to use? If other than it's own, you could try that (MAC).

I did compare the MAC address of the old and new modem (when it did connect) and they were different. Couldn't see anywhere to spoof the MAC though when it disconnected.

Joe_ wrote:

If I may ask a stupid question: Did you use a wired (ethernet cable) connection when you first set up the DGND3700?

Yes.

Joe_ wrote:

I suppose you do this from the DGND3700's GUI?

Yes, but also when it did momentarily connect, the unit automatically checked for new firmware and confirmed it had the latest version.

I tried resetting the device last night and went through the setup wizard again last night, but when trying to detect the ISP settings, it took ages and finally came up with a static IP, which is wrong - my ISP is definitely dynamic IP.

I hadn't seen that other post, but it seems that I'm not alone with this problem. I see they haven't worked out a solution yet though.

As a side issue, do these new units still have the problem my old one had whereby it wont accept any MAC address that dont start with "00" in the MAC filtering table? I know the work around for this, but it is a pain.
Message 12 of 15
Joe_
Apprentice

Mars Mug wrote:
Except the person who has to move it 😉

A 'Please move to {whatever forum}' message would help in future 🙂

Will do.:)
Message 13 of 15
Joe_
Apprentice

petepda wrote:
Thanks for all the help here - I really appreciate this as the frustration is reaching new levels after spending 3 hours playing with it last night.

You're welcome!

Don't waste anymore time. As searay said - return the unit.

petepda wrote:
I'm in the UK by the way, ISP is Plusnet.

This time, check with your ISP and ask what they recommend that works best with their service.

Good luck! 🙂
Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"did compare the MAC address of the old and new modem (when it did connect) and they were different. Couldn't see anywhere to spoof the MAC though when it disconnected". Page 30 of the downloadable manual speaks to router MAC address. You may have to use manual setup to get to this option. setup if log-on required does not show display this option. Worth a try. good luck
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7