Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DDNS not working?

w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

Next question. Looking at the Live System States I notice that the "pppd -d..." has my WAN userid and passord shown in the clear. Is this normal?

Message 851 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

In looking at the custom port forwarding it appears that you can specify different internal / external ports for the same service. There is a check box that says internal / external ports are the same. If you uncheck the box then it appears that you can set different internal / external ports.

Message 852 of 1,478
objecttothis2
Aspirant

super, that's just what I needed to know.  I'll upgrade the firmware and start testing.

Message 853 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

Stupid question how to flash to latest Genie version from orginal Netgear 1.0.0.17 firmware to do this correctly and safely to not brick the router ? normally from web UI like orginal firmware ?

Message 854 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

One more question does orginal version Firmware DGND3700V1/N600 - "DGND3700_2015-02-08_A_D" support both Annex A and B ?

Message 855 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Can't answer the Annex A/B question, but the new Genie version comes in both versions, I use the AnnexA version. Since I flashed over the top of the old Richud version I would guess that you'd be just fine flashing over the top of the stock Netgear version. Just be sure you're ethernet attached to the router when you flash. I have heard of people bricking their router wen they attempted to flash over a wireless connection.

Message 856 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

Thank you again for fast reply w3wilkes. 

Exactly Genie wersion I see are in two seperate files for Annex A and B, orginal looks like is only A (letter in firmware file name

DGND3700_2015-02-08_A_D) 

@richud please answer am I right ?

I will do flashing with wired ethernet connection, thx for warning.

Today I wil have change from ADSL 20Mbit to VDSL 80Mbit 🙂 

Message 857 of 1,478
objecttothis2
Aspirant

Installed the 11/9 firmware (dgnd3700 annex A) and after some fighting with it, it seems to be a major improvement and stable enough to be a daily driver (although time will tell). 

Observations:

- Attached Devices (NetBIOS) is labeling at least one device as being wireless when it is most definitely a wired device.  Let me know if I can provide any logs or whatnot to help troubleshoot why.

- Initially upon upgrade it started up in English, but after the first restart of the router, the router not only wiped itself but reverted to German.

- There doesn't seem to be a device factory reset.  If there is, can someone tell me what menu it's under?

- I ended up needing to call the ISP after upgrading the firmware to get them to reprovision the router... I'm assuming that the new firmware did not change the mac address but it took reprovisioning in order for the ISP to give it an IP address.

@richud, Great work on this! 

Message 858 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Maybe a couple of answers...

The NetBIOS display is Netgear's, not sure if Richud can do anything with that.

Advanced -> Administration -> Backup Settings you should see "Revert to factory default settings". Or you can follow the instructions in the manual and use the Reset pin hole on the backside of the router.

Glad you have it all working. Would you let me know if you routers clock is corrent? You can find the current time in the router in Advanced -> Administration -> Logs and the current time is over the log scroll box.

Message 859 of 1,478
objecttothis2
Aspirant

ok. with the timezone properly set the system clock is 3 hours behind. I don't see a place to change the NTP server settings or manually set the time.
Message 860 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

You can use Putty to Telnet to the router (if you've enabled it... Advanced -> Remote Access -> Telnet) and then

"ntpd -q -p time.nist.gov" or manual "date 111309002015" (this is Nov 13 2015 09:00).

Message 861 of 1,478
objecttothis2
Aspirant

personally I don't mind as long as it's not causing router issues. I would have thought netgear would have natively included that stuff in the gui.
Message 862 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

The router has no RTC so comes up at 1970 00:00 (start of epoch time). After about 15 seconds - it sets datetime to the build date (I cant remember what the reason was right now). When the wan comes up (1 and a quarter minutes after boot for me) it should query ntp servers and set the time.
In the System log you should see the wan up script start , end and shortly after that the time set properly.

Example start :
Nov 9 00:01:02 (none) user.notice wan-up.sh: WAN up event Start

The timezone is set in /etc/TZ from the nvram variable TZ_string

e.g.
# cat /etc/TZ
GMT+0BST-1,M3.5.0/01:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00
Message 863 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Okay, color me all puzzled. I've rebooted the router a couple of times and now the clock is always correct when the boot is complete. The log starts @ Jan 1 00:00:02 and runs like this for about 15 seconds. Then it jumps to Nov 9 00:00:00 and runs like this for about 1 minute until WAN up event end. Then the next entry in the log has the correct date and time Nov 14 11:29:00 user.emerg syslog: log config changed! I guess the bad time I had only happened with the initial boot on the latest firmware. Must be just one of lifes mysteries. TZ looks fine

MST7MDT

Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the recent terror attacks.

Message 864 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

A question... I had some port forwarding specified prior to this upgrade to the new Genie firmware. It doesn't show in the Port Forwarding setup, but it is in place. I see that Paulmcg is seeing something like this, but I don't know if he got it cleared up. Is there a way to clear this and set it up properly so that it shows in the Port Forwarding section of advanced setup?

Message 865 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Coincidentally someone else reported same problem and I have been looking into it today actually. Luckily it was same problem for me. As far as I can tell this is a bug in the original firmware. A quick google seems to suggest since 3.x.x.x came out it has been a problem and Netgear never bothered fixing through the newer revisions. (Seems a bit odd though as its such an obvious problem.)
Basically when the web server starts it erases one of the two nvram variables it uses to keep track of what is set. There is also a third variable storing the same data that is what is actually acted upon, hence the mappings still are there. If you look in the Administration > network > NAT filter you can see them alive and active. (Page 81 shows all three variables)
Looks like I will have to make a new interface page for doing it 😞
Message 866 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Kind of an OT question... Does anybody here use the Netgear Genie client? I tried it a long time ago, but at the time I found the webUI much more complete.

Message 867 of 1,478
paulmcg
Aspirant

I've had very few opportunites to test recently, but I did have a go at trying to set up the router as an openvpn client in Advanced->Remote Access->OpenVPN.

Step one, get a 7 day account from torvpn.com and try an deconstruct the .ovpn file to fit into the template. I thought I had it about right, but the consistent error was that it didn't understand the Client mode. No amount of fiddling cound get it to work.

Step two, ran openvpn --config from the command line, and actuall got a connection. I still had to manually update the resolv.conf, but was actually getting a path out through the vpn confirmed via traceroute. 

No path from the PC or the Mac through the VPN, in fact I could not even do lookups unless I specifically used the nameserver IP, e.g. 8.8.8.8. I need to do a bit more research on routing, but there is no downtime available.

Has anyone had any success using OpenVPN (Client) and been able to connect from a computer connected to the router? 

Message 868 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

I flashed today my 3700V1 with Orginal version and hurray my VDSL in Poland "Neostrada Fiber" 80Mbit works great on it., thank you Richud!

But one thing miss for me is possibility to set a password for USB device for selected folders, I'd like to set some folders on USB device with password and some without it just public, and have acces to them via internet FTP, https like was in orginal firmware.

Also does this firmware support Print server ? or maybe newer Genie version ?

Message 869 of 1,478
objecttothis2
Aspirant

DDNS not working?

Is anyone else able to get DDNS to work?  I'm using freedns.afraid.org which is working properly with other subdomains on other routers.  I realize it's possible that the settings are not right, but it was working properly before the upgrade.  Here is the error that I get.

Stopping inadyn-mt PID:10024 10023 10021
Wed Nov 18 12:16:44 2015: W:LANG: Cannot open language file.  Will use english defaults, or default override (--lang_file ...)
Wed Nov 18 12:16:44 2015: S:INADYN: Could not open default servers_additional.cfg.  Will try svr_add_cfg option, if set...
Started inadyn-mt PID:10040 10039 10037 10024 10023 OK

This is with freedns.afraid.org selected as the provider.  I've tried both the hash and the username in the username/hash field.  In the password field I've tried both my freedns password and guest which is what ddwrt requires.  in the host name field my ddwrt router uses domain,hash format.  I've tried that as well as just the domain.

Ideas?  The advanced options are not well documented and therefore are somewhat confusing as to what is what, but currently I am not using any of the advanced settings.

Message 870 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

@richud- Why I don't have Line attenuation (db) parameters in my vdsl connection ? only show 0.0 dB

Also show wrong Annex, I have Annex A as I know.

Message 871 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

How can I share my files on my connected pendrive via internet / FTP directly to only pendrive folder ? I tried by FlashFXP by entering my internet IP adress but after connection I had "root" folder with all router firmware files from applications.

Message 872 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

^if I will want to share something from my pendrive someone and this person will enter by STFP protocol to my router and will accidentally remove all firmware root folders files 🙂 thats will be bad I think ?

btw. sorry for bad quoting in thread.

Message 873 of 1,478
ittroll
Apprentice

Just got BT fibre and happy to report it is working perfectly with the original firmware. I never even bothered to open the packaging for the hub they sent me!

I will try the GENIE version once the line is established and I am feeling a little braver.

Many thanks.

Message 874 of 1,478
JediNite
Tutor

@paulmcg wrote:

Still having an issue with the port forwarding display, the one that I created using the gui is not visible in the gui, I see it in the nat5 agApi_natDumpRuleTbl, but not in the inbound or pf_ params.

richud and paul,

I've got the same issue with the inbound Port Forwarding Rules not showing on the GUI, but they are active as confirmed from the Network Logs section you referenced in other posts.  These were rules that existed prior to updating from richud's February release of the v1 firmware. Any suggestions on why this might not be showing correctly or if there is anything that can be done to fix it ?  I can probably do a factory reset if you think this will help.

Cheers,

JediNite

Message 875 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7