Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

ittroll
Apprentice

@richud wrote:
..which reminds me - is anyone else other than me using the Adblocking on this firmware (bottom of the DNSmasq page)?

I did use it a while back but the other half complained that in broke some shopping activities. I did mean to look into the whitelisting options but never got around to it.

i tend to use client-side blockers now.

Message 926 of 1,478
JediNite
Tutor

@richud wrote:

@JediNite there is soft vlan support in the switch but you will have to work out how to use it (echo the control bytes to /proc/switch53115 ) - not for feint hearted!

@richud - I was just having a bit more of a look.  Would it be possible to use the "vconfig" command to create the VLANs as per the man page at http://linux.die.net/man/8/vconfig ? I just had a quick go with the following results :

/proc/net/vlan # vconfig add eth2 100
/proc/net/vlan # cat config
VLAN Dev name    | VLAN ID
Name-Type: VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
eth2.100       | 100  | eth2
/proc/net/vlan # ifconfig -a eth2.100
eth2.100  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 84:1B:5E:42:38:5A
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
/proc/net/vlan # vconfig rem eth2.100

I think then should be able to put na IP Address on the interface and connect to it from another tagged trunk port on VLAN 100 with no issues...  

Is it possible to have the router run a "post boot up script", that runs after all other commands have completed on it ? 

Message 927 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

Hi Richud

Do you know why the GUI is so restrictive on 802.11a 5GHz channels available? As far as I know channels such as 60 are legal in Europe/UK however they are not offered on the GUI. They can be set by command line (eg "wl -a wl1 channel 60; wl -a wl1 down; wl -a wl1 up") but it would be good to have the GUI offer all legal channels.

I am currently on the 12/04 Genie software and it is working very well.

Many thanks for your work

Peter

Message 928 of 1,478
JediNite
Tutor

@JediNite wrote:

@richud wrote:

@JediNite there is soft vlan support in the switch but you will have to work out how to use it (echo the control bytes to /proc/switch53115 ) - not for feint hearted!

@richud - I was just having a bit more of a look.  Would it be possible to use the "vconfig" command to create the VLANs as per the man page at http://linux.die.net/man/8/vconfig ? I just had a quick go with the following results :

/proc/net/vlan # vconfig add eth2 100
/proc/net/vlan # cat config
VLAN Dev name    | VLAN ID
Name-Type: VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
eth2.100       | 100  | eth2
/proc/net/vlan # ifconfig -a eth2.100
eth2.100  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 84:1B:5E:42:38:5A
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
/proc/net/vlan # vconfig rem eth2.100

I think then should be able to put na IP Address on the interface and connect to it from another tagged trunk port on VLAN 100 with no issues...  

Is it possible to have the router run a "post boot up script", that runs after all other commands have completed on it ? 

Actually the above config does not quite work, since eth2 is still in the bridge interface.  If I use br0.100 the configuration does work (sorta)..  This will only add VLANs to an existing switch port, not change the VLAN that is natively on a port unfortunately 😞

Message 929 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@JediNite there are various hooks you can use in various scripts that do things. e.g. rcS_hook_3 runs at end of /etc/init.d/rcS. Set whatever into that nvram value and it will exec.
Afraid its going to involve working out /proc/switch if you want it done any better....

@whskerp if you change the region you will get them - if you look at frame source you can see....

// "--",Africa,Asia,Australia,Canada,Europe,Israel,Japan,Korea,Mexico,Middle East,South America,USA
var initRegion;
var changeMsg = "WARNING: Selecting the incorrect region may result in a violation of applicable law. \nDo you agree to act in accordance with these settings";
var notShown = true; // only shown region change message once
var initialized = false;
// "--",Africa,Asia,Australia,Canada,Europe,Israel,Japan,Korea,Mexico,Middle East,South America,USA
//var StartChannel = new Array(0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1);
//var FinishChannel = new Array(11,13,13,13,11,13,13, 13,13,11,13,13,11);
// "--",Africa,Asia,Australia,Europe,Israel,Japan,Korea,Mexico,Middle East,South America,North America
var StartChannel = new Array(0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1);
var FinishChannel = new Array(11,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,11,13,13,11);

var Band1Channel_20M = new Array (36,40,44,48);
var Band2Channel_20M = new Array (52,56,60,64);
var Band3Channel_20M = new Array (100,104,108,112,116,120,124,128,132,136,140);
var Band4Channel_20M = new Array (149,153,157,161,165);
var Band1Channel_40M = new Array (36,40,44,48);
var Band2Channel_40M = new Array (52,56,60,64);
var Band3Channel_40M = new Array (100,104,108,112,116,120,124,128,132,136);
var Band4Channel_40M = new Array (149,153,157,161);
Message 930 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

@richud It looks like the DFS mode is not enabled in the WiFi settings page:

<input type="hidden" name="telec_dfs_ch_enable" value="">

<input type="hidden" name="ce_dfs_ch_enable" value="">

Therefore the Javascript will not allow the DFS channels (ie only 36,40,44,48 are allowed in Europe 5GHz mode).

I can't see how to enable the DFS channels - I think it may need a change to the page source.

Peter

Message 931 of 1,478
PeterMac83
Aspirant

@richud- I'd like ask about dropbear SFTP client, I changed router default password and after that I can still connect on it by SFTP with default password, I also tried resart Dropbear service.

Message 932 of 1,478
Even_Loonger
Aspirant

Thx for your reply @richud. Formatet my disk with a linux distro, im new into linux ^^ but worked fine for me. Another question, my harddrive wont go into standby, its spinning all time but no computer has acces to it, solution? :))
Message 933 of 1,478
Flacer73
Aspirant

Rif.: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

I need help ...

I have already a DGND4000  as DSL MODEM ROUTER

I would like to connect the DGND3700 as ONLY SWITCH GIGABIT AND WIFI with the same SSID (need disable ADSL & WAN).

I try:

- disable DHCP

- use the same SSID, security & password

- assign ethernet WAN porto to LAN

but doesn't work, sometimes the router seems to assign IP but other times NOT.

How can I do DHCP forward and make DGND3700 work as WIFI extender (same SSID) via ethernet ?

Message 934 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

With what you've done you've got a start on converting your old dgnd3700 to an AP (Access Point). There are many turorials on the web. Just do a google search for "setup router as access point". One thing I did in addition to what I've read is disable UPnP on the access point. You will want to reserve the IP on the router and also set the access point IP as static to the same address you reserved on the router. The reserved/static IP address should be outside the DHCP IP range on the router, but in the same subnet.

Your router = DGND4000

Your Access Point = DGND3700

Message 935 of 1,478
Flacer73
Aspirant

Thanx for your help ...

I have already set static ip on the DGND3700 on the same subnet mask of the DGND4000 (also reserve this IP outside DHCP range on LAN setup of the DGND4000).

The only thing I need to try is disable UPnP, I will do this afternoon.

And for DHCP forward, can you tell me how force the DGND3700 to DGND4000 ?

Message 936 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

There's nothing special to forward DHCP from your DGND4000 to go through the DGND3700. A device connecting to the DGND3700 should just get its IP from DHCP on the DGND4000. Do you have the DGND4000 IP address set as the default gateway on the DGND3700?

Message 937 of 1,478
Flacer73
Aspirant

I think that this is the problem ... I don't know where tell DGND3700 (192.168.1.7) to point to DGND4000 as GATEWAY (192168.1.1) and don't use ADSL or WAN ...

Message 938 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

You should not need to do anything as long as you connect a LAN port on the DGND4000 to a LAN port on the DGND3700. You are simply Layer 2 bridging the LAN across the two devices. No routing is involved therefore the DHCP on the 3700 is switched off and you can also disable all other services on it such as NAT, firewall, UPNP etc. These are only used when you are routing to the WAN on the 3700 which is not what you are trying to do.

The wireless and LAN ports are already bridged so it should simply extend the network. A BOOTP request received on the wireless on either device should get answered by the DHCP server on the DGND4000. I think there may be an "STP"  (Spanning Tree Protocol) checkbox on the LAN settings and I would untick this to avoid issues. 

Message 939 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

PS I suggest you don't use the WAN ports to connect even if they are assigned to the LAN as they can be a bit funny sometimes. You may find that connecting using the original LAN ports might behave differently (and more as you want). There have been issues in the past with bridging between the former WAN port and the wireless AP.

Message 940 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I'm away from my system, so not sure where to set your DNS, subnet mask and gateway addresses.

Message 941 of 1,478
Even_Loonger
Aspirant

Question to all of you, what speeds do you get from your gigabit ethernet connection when you download data from your hdd (ext3) attached to the dgnd3700. I ony get 6mb/s when sending an iso from hdd to desktop. Checkedy laptop hdd via Chrystal disk, everything seems fine. Maybe a config problem on the router? Or is the dgnd cpu too weak?
Message 942 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Yep, it's not the fastest. If you want to see slow try it with an NTFS formatted drive, makes the ext3 look pretty good.Smiley Surprised

Message 943 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Got home and looked at my router. To set IP, DNS, Gateway, turn off NAT, the way I have to do it is in the Genie interface... Advanced -> Setup -> Internet Setup and say No to "Does your internet connection require a login?" When you say No the web page changes to allow for setting all this stuff.

Message 944 of 1,478
Flacer73
Aspirant

Thanx I will try when at home ...

Message 945 of 1,478
AndyTaylor
Aspirant

Hi

I have just updated to the latest (4th December) firmware in an attempt to solve the Wireless isolation issue - isloation is off, but my computer does not see other clients when connected to the wireless. It works fine via a second access point that is plugged into a LAN port.  Any ideas before I try a factory reset?

Update: It looks like ping is being blocked, but some other services are accessible. 

Thanks

Message 946 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Interesting... I had heard of this issue with the stock Netgear firmware, but not with this custom firmware. Have you tried doing a factory reset and re-customizing the router since installing this new firmware?

Message 947 of 1,478
Even_Loonger
Aspirant

I tought the dual core cpu and the new firmware would rock the speed tests. Sure, my 6 to 7 mb/s are much fastet than the old ones with stock firmware and ntfs or fat drives. Thx for your reply, going to setup a old netbook with an intel atom and nas4free. Maybe speeds will increase :))
Message 948 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Much of the base function in the custom firmware is the Netgear firmware with customization on top of that. On the dual core CPU it seems that I've heard that one core is reserved for interrupt handling and the other core does all the rest of the processing. So the cores have dedicated function rather than being SMP.

Message 949 of 1,478
AndyTaylor
Aspirant

OK, so a factory reset does not appear to have fixed my issue.

My setup is as follows:

3700v1 router running the most recent custom firmware.  Connected to Fibre broadband box via WAN port.

Wireless configured with WPA2-PSK (AES) on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Traffic Metering and SNMP reporting on.

Mac mini connected via Ethernet

Secondary access point (old 3Com) connected via Ethernet.

Symptoms:

When my Macbook Pro is connected to either of the Netgear SSIDs, I can not ping or connect to shared folder of Mac mini or any other wired device. I also cannot use Apple Remote Desktop.

When connected with Ethernet or via the other access point, I can ping and connect just fine.

Interestingly, the Mac mini is detectable via Bonjour when connected to the Netgear network.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 950 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7