Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

jewelie
Aspirant

Hi Rich

In order to make this easier to replicate, I've done some more investigations.

Devices that don't trigger it-

• Ubuntu 16.04 devices (WiFi and Wired)
  • Android Moto G 2013 phones (WiFi)

Devices that do trigger it (media playing devices - co-incidence?)-

• Windows 10 (not on safe mode with networking, but does on full boot - can't entirely eliminate additional programs installed)  (Wired)
  • A Samsung TV  (Wired)
  • Roku 1 (model 2710X)  (WiFi)

One find that may be significant is that the issue goes away if IGMP Proxying is disabled and the router rebooted (i.e. Advanced->Setup->WAN Setup-> Disable IGMP Proxying is ticked.)  I thought I'd try that as I'd noticed people talking in forums about odd interactions between UPNP/SSDP and IGMP Proxying.  Comes back as soon as it is re-enabled.  I really don't know/understand anythying about IGMP though.  😞

I've got a tcpdump of a device sending packets which trigger it (thanks for adding that in there - would have been such a headache to get this data otherwise 🙂 ) but haven't worked out which specific packets are doing it yet (too many packets!)   A simple single SSDP M-SEARCH broadcast packet doesn't appear to trigger it.

Julie

x

Message 1051 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

Hi Rich

I think I'm there but I'm waaaay out of my zone of knowledge.

All the devices that trigger this (Windows 10, Samsung TV, Roku 1) broadcast an IGMP join request to join 239.255.255.250 (SSDP) and all those that don't trigger it (Linux, Android) don't (they make other IGMP requests, but not that one.)  The issue doesn't appear without IGMP Proxying enabled.  Could this be an interaction between the IGMP Proxy and SSDP?  Could it be being a bit permissive?  Do we just need to tell the proxy somehow not to attempt to proxy SSDP?

Regards

Julie

x

Message 1052 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

Sorry, more for you Rich.

There seems to be two mechanisms for which IGMP Proxying can be enabled.

I've noticed that /etc/init.d/igmpproxy.sh looks at param "igmpproxy_enable" which is unset and therefore never runs unless set manually by hand-

/etc/init.d # ps | grep igmp
/etc/init.d # param get igmpproxy_enable

/etc/init.d # ./igmpproxy.sh start
/etc/init.d # param set igmpproxy_enable=1
/etc/init.d # ./igmpproxy.sh start
 2448 root       632 S N  /bin/igmpproxy /etc/igmpproxy.conf
 2451 root      1612 S N  grep igmp
/etc/init.d # param save
/etc/init.d #

However, using the webpages it seems that "Advanced->Setup->WAN Setup->Disable IGMP Proxying" only toggles param "wan0_igmp_proxy_enable" which seems to engage some other IGMP Proxy mechanism in the firmware.

I'm not sure whether /etc/init.d/igmpproxy.sh is your addition to the firmware or whether yours the one initiated by wan0_igmp_proxy_enable through the webpage?

Either way, if either of the two IGMP Proxy mechanisms are enabled, SSDP seems to be being proxied across from the WAN to the LAN, by-passing the firewall, once anything on the LAN asks to join an SSDP multicast group.

xxx

Message 1053 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Hi Julie,
I think (long time ago now) igmpproxy.sh was to test and try and get IGMP proxy with snooping support on older firmware - I never got it working as I didn't have a way to test with IPTV, so its non functional unless you run it manually.

Enabling IGMP Proxy on mine - Afraid I cannot replicate your problem, with Ubuntu, an LG tv, a Samsung tv, or Win7 playing from miniDLNA.

Message 1054 of 1,478
badbadbad
Aspirant

Hi Rich,

I've acquired a DGND3700v1 router (official 1.0.0.17) and tried flashing your Custom Firmware for the Original Version (2015-02-08). Overall, I'm impressed.

Any chance you could help me update to your latest custom GENIE version? All the download links with chk extensions are dead right now.

Thank you!

EDIT: Uncompressed the .xz and I found what I needed!

Message 1055 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

@richud wrote:
Hi Julie,
I think (long time ago now) igmpproxy.sh was to test and try and get IGMP proxy with snooping support on older firmware - I never got it working as I didn't have a way to test with IPTV, so its non functional unless you run it manually.

Enabling IGMP Proxy on mine - Afraid I cannot replicate your problem, with Ubuntu, an LG tv, a Samsung tv, or Win7 playing from miniDLNA.

Thanks for your reply Rich.  Regarding igmpproxy.sh: I see, that makes sense.

Regarding the problem I've been seeing... that you can't replicate it on your setup is both good to hear but embarrassing for me. 😉 Given it doesn't occur with IGMP Proxying off it's easy enough for me to circumvent.  I'm still with TalkTalk who do use IPTV, so I wonder if it involves a very specific interaction with TalkTalk's network somehow.  I guess we can see if anyone else ever sees the same issue!  🙂  Thanks again for investigating it though and for all your hard work.

PS I've done the external antenna mod and have had quite considerable improvement in throughput and signal strength.  The FCC link you give on the page is now dead so I've posted an updated link to the test report in the comments section of http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Wifi_Wireless_Antenna_Mod_Upgrade plus also an annotated version of your photo of the WiFi card and antennas to aid anyone else doing such a mod.  The antenna connection info from the FCC filing is WAY too easy to misread!  How stupid to label the connectors J2-J3-J4-J4 in order on the card but on the FCC filing name them Ant.3-Ant.4-Ant.1-Ant.2 respectively - on first go I mistook J2 & J3 to be the 5GHz connectors and J4 & J5 to be for the 2.4GHz ones and wondered why it didn't make much difference!

Message 1056 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

been running this firmware a while now no problems, woke up this morning flashing red power light and all the ethernet ports blinking no other lights are on and all ethernet cables are unplugged tried factory reset. think its dead any ideas?

Message 1057 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Sounds like your device might have failed. I've been running Rich's firmware since March 2013 on 2 different DGND3700's and they're still going strong.

Message 1058 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

thought as much think ill try to get another one from ebay the netgear is way better than the sky hub especially with richuds firmware. cheers.

Message 1059 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

The behaveior you describe sounds like a boot failure, I'm quite sure you should be able to diagnose it by serial interface. If it's just a matter of bad blocks there should be something to do for a recovery trial.

Message 1060 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

is there any tutorial on how to do that any help would be appreciated. cheers

Message 1061 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

@richud made a wonderful tutorial about serial access to this device, let me link to his wiki: dgnd3700 serial

Actually my device has a nice serial port in the back panel, I made it with a standard 3,5 audio socket, as small as needed to fit perfectly between ethernet and power switch. It works like a charm.

Message 1062 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

thanks for that looks quite daunting but ill order the bits and give it a go, thanks for your help.

Message 1063 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If you are leary about hooking up a serial device you can try this option to reload firmware from Netgear's knowledge base;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-usi...

Message 1064 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

i have tried this but i cant ping the router and so i cant use TFTP2 but was wondering if i do go the serial port route can i use tftp2 to upload the firmware?

Message 1065 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Can't answer about tftp2 and serial. Did you try the whole process in the KB post or did you just try to ping after the configuration portion of the process? I guess it's possible that in the bricked state the router doesn't have the "smarts" to respond to ping, but can do the tftp2 upload.

Message 1066 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

Standard tftp does not work on this model, at least at the time I were actively using this device. By serial console you will be able to interact both with bootloader and system shell. From the first one you will be able to do a tftp flashing, just read carefully the @richud wiki.

Message 1067 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Burt, programming it is actually very easy to do and a useful thing to know in general (if you are that way inclined) as most anything electronic has a serial header you can poke about with. Cost of parts all told will be less than price of a coffee.

Only thng to watch out for is to set the TTL voltage to 3.3v and not 5v on your TTL <> USB adapter.

I would suggest getting one with LED's for tx/rx so you can visualise whats happening. (ideally an FTDI chip too, although most ones saying that are fakes, but should still work ok)

Dont worry about getting tx/rx/gnd mixed up you cant easily destroy anything!

The hardest part is probably drilling/desoldering the pin holes on the board, the second hardest putting the case back together!

If you dont have soldering skills I'd suggest buying some micro drills (very cheap on fleabay) and then you can poke male ends of 'dupont cables' through them.

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1068 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

ill give it a shot ordered some micro drills serial cable and bits think ill have fun trying. thanks for the help guys

Message 1069 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

so update managed to put pins in board connect to router through serial port using putty now all ive got repeating itself over and over in the console is this:-

DGND3700 Boot Code V1.0.8
CFE version 1.0.37-104.4 for BCM96368 (32bit,SP,BE)
Build Date: Mon Feb 21 17:59:46 CST 2011 (finerain@moonlight)
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Broadcom Corporation.

Parallel flash device: name AM29LV320MT, id 0x2201 size 32768KB
Total Flash size: 32768K with 256 sectors
ethsw: found bcm53115!
Chip ID: BCM6368B2, MIPS: 400MHz
Main Thread: TP0
Total Memory: 134217728 bytes (128MB)
Boot Address: 0xb8000000

Board IP address : 192.168.1.1:ffffff00
Host IP address : 192.168.1.100
Gateway IP address :
Run from flash/host (f/h) : f
Default host run file name : vmlinux
Default host flash file name : bcm963xx_fs_kernel
Boot delay (0-9 seconds) : 1
Board Id (0-11) : 96368MVWG
Number of MAC Addresses (1-32) : 10
Base MAC Address : 84:1b:5e:48:52:f6
PSI Size (1-64) KBytes : 24
Enable Backup PSI [0|1] : 0
System Log Size (0-256) KBytes : 0
Main Thread Number [0|1] : 0

*** Press any key to stop auto run (1 seconds) ***
Auto run second count down: 1

ive tried what it tells me to press any button to stop booting but i cant access the console at all. any ideas.

Message 1070 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

well, serial is clearly working in the output rx direction, if at that moment you are unable to enter input characters by pc keyboard check the tx wire connection

what happens when the timeout expires? what appears in the console after the text you posted?

Message 1071 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

it doesnt time out just carries on until I turn off the power
Message 1072 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

Think this unit is broken tried all sorts i cant seem to input any command to stop the looping. checked all connections. there fine. 

Message 1073 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

burt - if you can see the CFE boot ok its very unlikely to be broken (at least as far as that point)

It sounds like either the TX wire is wrong or the terminal program is somehow not sending anything.

(TX from your usb dongle should go to RX on the DGND, and vice versa. Triple check you have right wire going to right pin, board right way up for pinout? etc.)

post a pic of your setup perhaps?

Cheers

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1074 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

20161116_112009.jpg

the wires are as follows according to ebay site:-

black - graound

white - recieve

green - transmit

red - 5v output

ive tried swapping them about but only this seems to get anything in the console. cheers

Message 1075 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7