Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

jewelie
Aspirant

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

Clutching at straws, but are both sides definitely 8N1?  If the computer side was configured for no parity but the router side requires parity then you'd potentially get data to the computer but not to the router?  (Like I said, clutching at straws I know.)

Message 1076 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

Again, clutching at straws, but have you definitely got a good connection, i.e. traced the paths with a meter or seen the data on a scope?   Even with just a multimeter between GND and computer TX <-> router RX you should still see the meter wobble a bit if you start sending data along the line, I'd be making sure that there's data that goes as far as at least the next via of the PCB traces.

Message 1077 of 1,478
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

@burt35 There is still one thing not really clear to me that I'd like to understand better, correct me if I'm wrong: you said that CFE boot appears on the serial console than the unit waits for the timeout but at the end it self reboots. Or it gets stuck so you will need to power cycle?

Message 1078 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

I havnt got a multimeter on hand at the moment but the connections are soldered. lukepikki1 when the router is turned on i get the same boot sequence in the console window constantly repeating itself as if stuck in a boot loop. if i left it running I could scroll down the console window forever with the same writing. hope that explains better. cheers for all your input guys.
Message 1079 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

one thing i have noticed is that i have set the static ip to 192.168.1.109 and in the console window its always 192.168.1.100 ive tried setting it the same as console but no change. weird.

Message 1080 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

burt, the bootloader/CFE is equivalent of a BIOS on a x86 pc, it boots up the next bit (the OS) - any settings are wholy separate from the OS that gets loaded next.

have you had any joy with it yet?
Message 1081 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

no richud to be honest I've given up and brought a second hand dgnd3700 from eBay for 20 quid now up and running your firmware again. thanks for your time guys
Message 1082 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

ahh, I was going to say if not post me it and I'll have a look, I probably should have offered earlier, I forgot you were in the UK.
Offers still there if you want.
Message 1083 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

can do if you want as long as you are in uk lol.

Message 1084 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

burt, I PM'd you at the w/e btw if you didnt get a notification 🙂

Message 1085 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

yes sorry mate ill send it to you probably tomorrow. have fun. cheers

Message 1086 of 1,478
sirmatto
Aspirant

I've had my DGND3700v1 forever and just learned about this custom firmware.

One question I have: I don't really care about most of the bells and whistles (VPN, torrent, etc.) and just want to continue to use it as a modem/router.  With that in mind, is it still worth it to flash this custom firmware (i.e., improved stability, better GUI, updated radio firmwares, etc.)?

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1087 of 1,478
ittroll
Apprentice

Well, stability of the latest GENIE edition is rock solid for me. I have never had to reboot it since installing.

The GUI is nice to use, but then how often do you go into this anyway?

The killer features for me are; VDSL/Fibre support (full speed sync at 55Mb/s), dynamic DNS and a 5th LAN port.

Message 1088 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

My experience is the same as ittroll's. Rock solid. Works with Centurylink's VDSL too, 25Mbps. A very nice feature for me is the ability to set DHCP lease times.

Message 1089 of 1,478
sirmatto
Aspirant

Awesome, thanks for the info.

"I have never had to reboot it since installing."

This right here would be reason enough to install.  It's pretty much weekly that I have to restart with the .17 official firmware.

Message 1090 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

hi burt,
Received your router today - I noticed you sent wrong PSU (12V 1A)...
I tried it anyway and router didn't turn on (psu whined and hissed at me a bit though)
I tried the psu form mine (12V 2.5A) and it booted up and works just fine. (your WPA key is l*********0 just to prove it works!)
(and I took top off and the CFE lets you press a button to halt it at that point, so your pins were wired right.)
Had it always had wrong psu?
🙂
Message 1091 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

yes mate that's the psu that came with it lol its been running fine for years I'd never have known. it just red lighted one morning and that was that lol. god can't believe it was that simple haha
Message 1092 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

hehe, amazed it ever worked!
shall I post it back or paypal you something for it and give it to my old man (assuming I can find a psu) ?
Message 1093 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

you can keep it as a thanks for all your help and great firmware. cheers
Message 1094 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

oh thanks burt that is very kind of you 🙂
Message 1095 of 1,478
burt35
Aspirant

no worries richud. cheers.

Message 1096 of 1,478
pietrodevo
Aspirant

Hi Richud! I'd like to share with you the fact that I am running your firmware for very very long now, and last build is very stable, getting incredible adsl uptimes, hope to see an update in the future, maybe one of yours that always surprise us for what they bring 😉

Message 1097 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

Richud

If I were to switch off NATand firewall etc and disable the login and take the WAN connection off the LAN, does it bridge the raw VDSL ethernet (I assume on VLAN 101?) to the WAN port or the LAN ports? I'm using it on EE Fibre (BT Openreach).

What I'd like to do is experiment with using the router like a modem and do the PPPoE logon from a pfSense firewall and then plug the LAN side of the pfSense into a LAN port to use the wireless AP. (I have pfSense on a HP Thinclient).

It may sound an odd thing to do but there is no point wasting hours if there is no chance of it working 🙂

Many thanks

Peter

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1098 of 1,478
tex83rb
Aspirant

hello, i can see in xdsl info:

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason: 8000
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 965 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3696 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 509 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2999 Kbps

changing the snr from advanced xdsl settings, like -3db for more speed, only change data as following:

Max: Upstream rate = 965 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4300 Kbps

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 509 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2999 Kbps

but the real speed is as the bearer.

the condition ideal for me is to force the max value. how can i do??? 

times ago i remind the connection was similar to the max, then the isp arbitrarly changed and reduced them to the bearer.

Message 1099 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@tex83rb: looks like your ISP/DSLAM has set you at a 3MBit cap, you cannot change that from your end.

New Christmas release: DGND3x00_2016-12-10
(Fairly minor one)

Fixes
------
Resetting now ends up with Genie interface in English and no German connection setup wizard! *
A few minor mistakes with the default config seeding fixed.

Updates
--------
ADSL PHY > A2pv6C039r.bin **
busybox > 1.25.1, (added flash_eraseall)
dnsmasq > 2.76
p910nd > 0.97
openSSL > 1.0.2j
e2fsprogs > 1.43.3

(And finally my personal favorite feature!)
Adblocking - now can pick multiple block lists, add a custom list, blacklist and/or whitelist specific domains.
Also altered how this works slightly so a blocked domain returns NXDOMAIN rather than resolving locally, making it fractionally faster.

* Thanks to Burt's kind router donation, couldn't have done it without a spare!
** Thanks to Buckchoi for the blob, sorry so late adding it!

Message 1100 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7