Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

LuKePicci
Aspirant

Code, required patches have been merged into debian, openwrt, asus-wrt and all derivatives like ubuntu and lede, also the ppp repo has a pending pull request for that, maybe that using the standard pppd alongside the stock closed binary, and providing a dumb web interface for configuringis enaugh, just take care not to create conflicts and that should be fine.

Message 1151 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

luke: Possibly some good news - I don't think its using pppd+plugin for the pppoe but a separate program called pppoecd. The short version of this story is that there is a drop in replacement program (rp-pppoe https://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe) developed from it that does host-uniq.
[ironically this is what appears to have been modded into pppd that doesn't do host uniq]
Downside is the original pppoecd looks to have been hacked a bit by Foxconn, but doesn't look like anything vital.
I will try and knock something together at the w/e.
Message 1152 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

If you need more info on patching rp-pppoe for host_uniq you can contact teknoraver (Matteo Croce) @ github , say him LuKePicci told you, he has a deep knowledge on the problem and will surely guide you if you intend to give that a look. It's actually the huy who made all patches regarding this tag. I think that the debian patch includes a patched rp-pppoe version, just do a quick google search for host_uniq and you'll find it.

Message 1153 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Message 1154 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

I need a bit of free time to do a full backup of the openwrt installation and I'll surely give it a look, maybe not this weekend but from the half of the next week. If you share something about what you patched I can give a first look even before the actual firmware flashing.

Message 1155 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

ok, not patched rp-pppoe as has support already. I have replaced the old pppoecd in firmware with it and altered it slightly to take the nvram value, if set.
Message 1156 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud Cool! Thanks for fixing the sorting. Looks like all the columns sort correctly now! Great work.

Message 1157 of 1,478
CD7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just wanted to ask if this firmware will allow me to run a USB printer on my DGND3700?

Message 1158 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Since this firmware is based on the DGND3800b I'd say try it. I don't know if it will work or not. Here's the instructions from Netgear

https://kb.netgear.com/19593/ReadySHARE-printer-set-up-instructions?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

If it works let us know. My printer is ethernet so I didn't need USB printer support.

Message 1159 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

luke: have you managed to test yet?
cd7: if you connect usb printer it should [not all printers will work] automagically become available on tcp/ip port 9100. (aka Appsocket/HP JetDirect , port 9100).
Message 1160 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

Nope, I started this mornign to understand how to make a full image of my current openwrt setup. If I manage to sort it out before this evening I'll come back here to report.

Message 1161 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

I managed to flash your test firmware here is a list of what seems to not work as expected:

1) my isp uses (but may not require) a pppoe password containing some "|" chars, from what I can see from the output of "top" command the command line seems to be truncated after the first occurence of "|" character in the password argument

2) the tag is not saved, I can't see my setting anywhere in "param show" output, and the input box is empty after comit & reboot; anyway I don't know if it must be given in form of an hex string (like in openwrt implementation) or plaintext

3) from what I see in the pppd command line the target interface is eth0 while it must be eth0.DATA_VID where vlanid is what I set on the xDSL setting page.

As a last note I have to say that to keep using ISP telephony one should either bridge eth0.TEL_VID with one of available ethernet ports or setting up a second pppoe connection and route voip related traffic from lan side to that interface. The first method is needed to connect an ATA supporting host_uniq tag (ie isp provided CPE) delegating voice management to it. The second one comes useful when the VoIP clinet does not support host:_uniq. The best way to address both scenarios is to implement something similar to the openwrt **bleep**ch port configuration, that is something we should be able to recreate since vlan tagging is supported on our lovely firmware.

Message 1162 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

luke:
1)Is the password ok in nvram, assuming it is, can you try backslashing the pipes (quick look at pppd docs suggests doing that, seems a bit unlikely, but worth a try.)
2)The host_uniq tag is (should) be saved under 'ppp0_username_TOnline1' as re-using an existing variable on the web page to simplify, try setting that direct as the pppoe reads that value from nvram. Worked ok using a random character string on mine in web page , I dont know what a normal tag is like?
The pppoe code from what I remember takes a normal string and converts to hex when it outputs the host_uniq bit.
The vlan tagging I am not sure about, if you have set the vlan ID maybe it only uses it on pppoa? I can only suggest manually adding the vlan interface and starting pppd manually.
Message 1163 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

1) Backslashing works, I only have some concerns since when read back to fill in the settings page, clicking apply may overwrite the slashed version.

2) Setting maually the nvram param and issuing a 'param save' makes it appear in the settings field, so only the write is failing.

3) My isp's tags corresponds to CPE serial numbers, something like A00000000000000, but may be sufficient to just set this field since I already know that changing tha last portion of numbers is fine. However, allowing the CPE cwmp provisioning to succeed requires this tag to be set as corresponding exactly. OpenWRT allows users to enter directly the raw hex string so it needs the raw hex as tag configuration. Imho, it's not needed so never mind.

4) I can confirm VLANID setting actually works for xtm interface only, either pppoe or pppoa. I manually issuied pppd command, with the same exact arguments as shown in the command line of the default instance except for the interface (replaced with eth0.VID, after vconfig add eth0 VID) and it connects! However the internet connection is not fully set up since only my ISP website is accessible, I will do a capture and check what's wrong, maybe there is something bad with the passed tag.

If you have any idea about how to change the wan interface VID for default ppp connection would be great, since one could setup the voice pppoe as "WAN2". Also, it would be great to find a nice way to stop the loop of pppd trials to connect on non-tagged eth0 interface, since it continously respawns and fails.

Message 1164 of 1,478

I'd love to see that feature on every new FW release!

Message 1165 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

luke: whats the pppd command string it is using ?
I can perhaps modify the pppd code to look for nvram variable and if set, bring up the tagged interface and use it.
aalexandrebeta: ?
Message 1166 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

The default instance of pppd I see in top output is this one:

pppd -c ppp0 -i eth0 -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -t 1458 -f 0 -k

I only did a "vconfig add eth0 1036" and changed the interface name to

pppd -c ppp0 -i eth0.1036 -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -t 1458 -f 0 -k

Bear in mind that pppd should select the right vlan id if tryng to connect WAN1 or WAN2 since they use different vilan id's.

I made a caputre of traffic to investigate the connection issue and it seems the custom host_uniq tag is not sent, as it appears the default random one.

Aside from that, have you made things such that also xdsl makes use of host_uniq or just ethernet WANs? If so I will also try it on a VDSL line of the same isp later this year.

Message 1167 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

That doesn't appear to be using any passthrough to pppoecd(rp-pppoe) at all...hence no host-uniq.
From docs and looking at the strings from binaries I expected like;
pppd pty 'pppoe [pppoe_options]' [pppd_options]
I will have a look at pppd code tomorrow, confused!
Message 1168 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

luke: think I have sussed it out with pppd. The pppoecd was a bumsteer from some previous firmware.
I can add the host_uniq in but it won't be hexed by looks of code, (I can probably add that in if its needed but if its just normal chars I guess it will be ok as is.)
Altering the interface bit for the vlan.id looks doable too. I'll try have something to try by the w/e as no time over next few days.
Message 1169 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

Ok I may also not have enaugh time for testing before the weekend, anyway you could also try debugging yourself the command line, it's sufficient to attach an ethernet cable to the WAN port and it starts trying connecting pppd.

Message 1170 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud, I was looking around at clocks this morning with the change to daylight savings time and noticed that the router clock is showing GMT (looking at Current time at the top of the screen from Advanced -> Administation - Logs -> Logs). Verified that Advanced -> Advanced Setup 2 -> NTP/Timezone is set to Timezone Mountain. Tried rebooting the router and clock at top of logs still shows GMT rather than my local time.

Message 1171 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Message 1172 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

w3wilkes: after a bit of fiddling about Netgears web server - it has its own timezone, rather than using the system one.
It is oddly set via advanced > security > schedule. [never even noticed it before]
Depending on what timezone is set there, at the time the web server loads, is the timezone it uses.
Message 1173 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Well then... The new firmware you did for Luke works fine for usDGND3700 AnnexA, VDSL2 Centurylink folks VLANID 201 PTM Transfer mode. And thanks for the GMT offset info. Jumped into Security and set to Mountain -7 with auto adjust for DST, hit apply and the clock looks fine now. Does the router pay attention to any of the things in Advanced Setup 2 -> NTP/Timezone?

Thanks for all you've done!

Message 1174 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

w3wilkes: have just nuked the separate timezone setting on the Schedule page, webserver now set from the proper system timezone.
Message 1175 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7