Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud, Quick question on enabling OpenVPN as a client on the router. I'm considering NordVPN and the setup instructions talk about cipher setup;

Encryption Cipher = AES-256-CBC
Hash Algorithm = SHA-1 (note: newer NordVPN servers use SHA-512 instead. If SHA-1 does not work, select SHA-512)

I don't see anywhere to specify either of these.

Thanks, W3

Message 1276 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Bump - Does anybody know how to set these encryption and hash algorithm values?

Message 1277 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

Hi folks

On DGND3700_AnnexA_2017-05-17_D it seems that df seems to be reporting bogus values for partition sizes etc-

BusyBox v1.26.2 (2017-05-17 17:34:10 BST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ # df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                20.3M     20.3M         0 100% /
tmpfs                   194.9M     17.8M    177.1M   9% /tmp
tmpfs                    97.4M         0     97.4M   0% /media
tmpfs                    97.4M    128.0K     97.3M   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock18           2.0G     64.1M      1.9G   3% /tmp/mnt/storage
/dev/sda1                 3.6T   1020.5G      2.6T  27% /media/NtwkBackup
~ # 

On DGND3700_AnnexA_2016_12-10_D it's right-

BusyBox v1.25.1 (2016-12-10 09:46:33 GMT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ # df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                20.2M     20.2M         0 100% /
tmpfs                    12.2M    992.0K     11.2M   8% /tmp
tmpfs                     6.1M         0      6.1M   0% /media
tmpfs                     6.1M      8.0K      6.1M   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock18         128.0M      4.0M    124.0M   3% /tmp/mnt/storage
/dev/sda1                 1.8T    510.3G      1.3T  27% /media/NtwkBackup
~ # 

Is this just a display bug (perhaps with new busybox vs old kernel) or is there any risk of problems?  I notice that the percentages are right on both even if the partition sizes aren't, which is a good sign.

Could it be any relation to this note from https://www.busybox.net/ -

• 31 March 2017 -- Note for users of Linux kernels older than 2.6.27
    If you are stuck with a kernel from July 2008 or earlier (2.6.26 or less), and you are using mdev, device scan wouldn't work correctly due to an incompatibility in /sys structure. You can work around it by reverting this patch in 1.26.x BusyBox sources. (You also probably need to plan migration to a less ancient kernel).

Warm Regards

Julie

Message 1278 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

@richud, regarding the issue with df, given that busybox 1.25.1 reported the values correctly whilst busybox 1.26.2 doesn't, perhaps it's just this-

If so, then it looks like it's an otherwise harmless display bug?

Warm Regards

Julie

Message 1279 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

Quick question. Does the latest "Transmission" firmware have G.993.5 support (G.Vector)?

Message 1280 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I had asked this question back in post 1195 of this thread and @richud replied in post 1200 that it should if you;

"yes it should if you enable SRA and G.INP in the advanced adsl options"

Let us know if you have the oportunity to test this.

Message 1281 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

I'll be in a position to test G.vector on Friday next week, hopefully the tech is able to connect me to the NBN here in Australia.

Message 1282 of 1,478
JediNite
Tutor

@chomper wrote:

I'll be in a position to test G.vector on Friday next week, hopefully the tech is able to connect me to the NBN here in Australia.

@chomper,

I'm using this model successfully with FTTN NBN here in Australia on Telstra.  I had to change the two settings hat were mentioned presviously for SRA and GINP to get it working.  Good luck.

Cheers,

JediNite

Message 1283 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

@JediNite wrote:

@chomper wrote:

@chomper,

I'm using this model successfully with FTTN NBN here in Australia on Telstra.  I had to change the two settings hat were mentioned presviously for SRA and GINP to get it working.  Good luck.

Cheers,

JediNite

That's the sort of feedback I was after. Thanks Jedi, now to see if NBN can do their thing..

Model: DGND3700|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1284 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

NBN tech came and went, the modem connects to the NBN at approx 40mbit down, 11mbit up.

The problem I face now is that the 5GHz radio appears to not be working, despite being enabled in the setup. The blue light is on, but none of my devices can see the 5GHz network.

Is there something I'm missing?

Message 1285 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

WPA2 also appears to not work.

Message 1286 of 1,478

@chomper wrote:

The problem I face now is that the 5GHz radio appears to not be working, despite being enabled in the setup. The blue light is on, but none of my devices can see the 5GHz network.

Silly question, I realise, but these devices are 5GHz capable?

You'd be surprised by how many people turn up here complaining that their 2.4 GHz clients can't see 5GHz.

Message 1287 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@chomper wrote:

Silly question, I realise, but these devices are 5GHz capable?

You'd be surprised by how many people turn up here complaining that their 2.4 GHz clients can't see 5GHz.

Both laptops (and the phone) have 5GHz capability.

I worked around the issue by enabling the guest 5GHz, it also allowed WPA2 to work. The Carbon X1 hammers with 23MB/sec on the 5GHz 802.11n connection.

Message 1288 of 1,478
JediNite
Tutor

@chomper wrote:

The problem I face now is that the 5GHz radio appears to not be working, despite being enabled in the setup.

@chomper

I did not run into any issues like this.  Just made the changes to the settings for the ADSL / VDSL and that was it.

JediNite

Message 1289 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

@JediNite wrote:
@chomper wrote:

The problem I face now is that the 5GHz radio appears to not be working, despite being enabled in the setup.

@chomper

I did not run into any issues like this.  Just made the changes to the settings for the ADSL / VDSL and that was it.

JediNite

It was the oddest thing, the security could not be changed from WPA to anything else and the 5GHz light was on, but the radio wasn't broadcasting.

Message 1290 of 1,478
stryfe
Aspirant

Hi All,

It has been a while following this thread. I still have the DGND3700 router running without DSL. Cool to see that the firmware is still actively developed. Anyway I tried to setup the openvpn client connection to a node of www.vpngate.net

They have a openvpn config file and I tried to fill all options in the web interface of the route. However I cannot get any connectivity from the lan ports through the VPN and I cannot check if the VPN is actually active.

Is there anyone that could explain in dummy languages how to do the setup and what I have missed? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marcel
Message 1291 of 1,478
alexander888
Aspirant

Hi Richud,

I think that uploading photos to my flickr account from an hard disk plugged to the router would be very cool, could flickcurl (or similar) be executed within this firmware?

It requires:

Usefull link:

flickcurl's home page

Thankyou for your attention.

Message 1292 of 1,478
Reg123
Aspirant

Hi Marcel,

I posted about this earlier in this thread - so you can search back through it all - but the crux of the issue is that NATing is applied to the WAN eth adapter - NOT the adapter created as part of the VPN connection.

Thus if you telnet/ssh into you router, you can ping the world via the SSH tunnel (because no natting is required) - however if a LAN client attempts to access the internet - the ping will go out, but because it address in the ping isn't translated (i.e.it is sent out with a source IP of 192.168.1.x, rather the vpn's IP)no response can be forthcoming; i.e. as the recipient of the ping doesn't know how to get back to you.

I'm not a god at this, but looked into it pretty carefully - routing etc. can be made to work, but the NAT stumped me.

Message 1293 of 1,478
typhoon1944
Aspirant

@richud @w3wilkes @Troopy 

Looking for a bit more advice if possible.  Router has been working flawlessly since my last post and wifi speeds have shot up to a stable 35meg, about the same as over Ethernet so all in all very happy.  I'm now trying to set up Plex Media Server.  It works perfectly when streaming locally but if I want to access movies remotely when I'm out of the house, on 4g or parent's wifi for example, it's very hit and miss.  The problem is that I need to forward the external (public) port to port 32400.  In order to do this, I've assigned a static IP on the router for my pc and initially Plex will work satisfactorily but for some reason the public port will randomly change which breaks the remote access.  If I disable UPNP and then re-enable it this fixes Plex for a while before the public port changes again.  I'm not sure whether this is a Plex issue or a router issue.  Plex forums aren't very helpful and mostly point to a router problem.  However, someone who has exactly the same issue as this but with a different make and model of router managed to fix it by updating to the latest version of firmware.  My problem with this is that the genie version of Richud's firmware doesn't work with Sky on my router.  I'm not experienced with manual port forwarding so is there any advice anyone can give me on 1. how to manually configure a static public port on the 3700 and 2. how to ensure Plex keeps the static assignment?

Thanks in advance.

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1294 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Do I understand that you're running the stock Netgear software? If so, I think you should shut off UPnP and try manually doing the port forwarding for port 32400. Instructions for port forwarding start on page 53 of the manual.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3700/DGND3700_UM_11May11.pdf

Message 1295 of 1,478
typhoon1944
Aspirant

@w3wilkes Thanks for the quick reply.  No, if you remember, you were involved with giving me advice on how to get @richud's custom firmware installed and working so I could use my DGND3700v1 instead of the standard Sky Hub.  That's all sorted now.  I have tried to follow the instructions but it appears I need to know what the public port is in advance so that I can tell the router to forward it to the internal port of 32400.  I don't know what it is as Plex Media Server randomly changes it and if I use what it currently is it won't apply the redirection.

Message 1296 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Thanks for clearing up which formware you're using.

Sounds like you need to get a hold of the Plex people to find your answer. Seems like Plex would not have the capability to have a different port on the WAN side vs the LAN side of the router. If Plex expects traffic on port 32400 that should be the same on both sides of the router. In looking through some Plex doc I found at

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Remote-Access

In order to forward a port for Plex Media Server, you'll need three main pieces of information:

• WAN/External Port: Port 32400 (TCP) is default, but you can generally use any available port in the 20,000 to 50,000 range.
  • LAN/Internal Port: This will always be 32400.
  • IP Address: The local IP Address of the computer running the Plex Media Server. This is what you did above.

To me this says that the WAN and LAN ports would be the same regardles of whether you use the default 32400 or pick your own port for Plex to use. Is there a possibility that the 32400 port might also be used by some other application on the computer you're running Plex on? You could try configuring Plex to use a different port and then forward that port. There's a lot of info on the page I referenced above about port forwarding options in Plex so you may want to read all of it.

The only time it mentions having different WAN vs LAN ports is if you have multiple Plex servers that are all using 32400. Then in the router you would give each server a dedicated IP and then for that server you would maybe map 32401 on the WAN side to 32400 on the LAN side for server #1 and then on server #2 you would map WAN port 32402 to 32400 on the IP for server #2. I think this type port mapping is beyond the capability of what UPnP can do so it wauld have to be configure manually. I personally don't like UPnP so I've shut it off and I manually control any port forwarding. This way a rouge application can't open a port for remote access. I think having UPnP enabled can be a security exposure.

Message 1297 of 1,478
typhoon1944
Aspirant

@w3wilkes Thanks for this.  I'd already looked at the info on the Plex website.  My problem is that I don't know what the external/public port number is until PMS has decided what it's going to use and nothing I type in the manual port number to try and force it to use that number will work.  I've tried enabling UPnP, looking at the Portmap Table, taking a note of the external port (internal port is obviously 32400), going onto PMS, confirming that the internal and external ports match up, entering the external port into "Manually specify public port" going back onto the router and disabling UPnP.  I've also tried the same steps but disabling UPnP before entering the manual details.  Also according to the Portmap Table, PMS is the only application using that port.  I'm not sure how to check if there's anything using that port that's not forwarded.

Message 1298 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

What I'd try is first shut off UPnP (Advanced tab - Advanced Setup 1 - UPnP) -> reboot the router. Once router has booted go to Advanced -> Advanced Setup 1 -> Port Forwarding / Port Triggering -> click the button that says +Add Custom Service. In the next screen name the service something like Plex - for Service Type leave it set to TCP/UDP. For External starting Port put 32400 and same for ending port. Check box that says "Use the same port range for internal port" and leave the Internal starting and ending blank. Then for your Internal IP put your 192.168.0.n where n = the last octet of the IP address you've reserved for your Plex server in Advanced -> setup -> LAN Setup in the Address Reservation section. That should be all there is to it. Plex only knows about port 32400. This will set your router to map the external port 32400 to the internal port 32400 for the IP address of the Plex server. Beyond this I'd be at a loss for anything else to try other than puting up a question in the Plex forums.

Message 1299 of 1,478
typhoon1944
Aspirant

@w3wilkes Thanks again for the advice.  I can't seem to find a box to tick for using the same port range for internal port.  I'm not sure if that's something available in the Genie version of @richud's firmware but I can't upgrade to that one as it won't allow me to enter correct information regarding Sky's login details etc.  I don't think this is anything to do with the router to be honest, I just thought I'd check to see if I'd missed anything.  I'll get onto the Plex forums to see if I can get any help there.

Message 1300 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7

Need More Help?