Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

You have confused me, I'm afraid. I thought this thread was started by Richud specifically about his custom firmware. Lots of the hundreds of posts upthread are about how to install it correctly, and I'm just asking a more basic question on the same thing. So I thought this was a good place to ask. 

And of course I realise it's not Netgear -supported - fhe wiki page by RIch which I linked to says that. I'm only asking about the Netgear roll-back as a just-in-case.

As for my specific SMB problem, I read the detail on Rich's custom firmware's new features, and I suspect it will make my problem go away, so I was only going to start looking for specific help if it doesn't. After all, there's probably hardly anyone with  DGND3000, an external USN drive and a Chromebook to ask 🙂

Message 1351 of 1,478
Aircomms
Aspirant

First off this is great firmware, I have been using it for years.

The best thing todo is do a factory reset before load firmware, this will ensure no issues later.

The cfg file is a config file.

Firmware is chk file.

The 3700V1/3800 are the same hardware but have a different ID string which the firmware upgrade checks.
If your model is a 3800 flash the 3800 image, probably you want Annex B (DSL over ISDN)
If your model is a 3700 flash the 3700 image, probably you want Annex A (DSL over POTS)
(The alternate Annexs' are in case you purchased your router in an Annex B area such as Germany and wanted to use it in the UK, Annex A.)

The good thing about this firmware is you can flash back the original very easily.

Message 1352 of 1,478

Thanks!

So If I read you right, I:

1. Factory Reset
  2. Get it working on my home network again
  3. Go to the router's manager web interface, select 'Router upgrade' pick the right CHK file and install it
  4. Restore my config settings from my backup.

I was just a bit confused by the file extensions, because every firmware upgrad I've ever downloaded from Netgear, has been a CFG.

Message 1353 of 1,478

You have confused me, I'm afraid.

That makes two of us. I saw this as a new message, probably because it started a new page. I still think it is off track here, but if it is the only place to chew the fat, carry on.

Message 1354 of 1,478

@carterbrandon wrote:
I was just a bit confused by the file extensions, because every firmware upgrad I've ever downloaded from Netgear, has been a CFG.

chk and img have been the most common Netgear firmware extensions for some years.

cfg is the backup file you create for your settings.

Message 1355 of 1,478
Aircomms
Aspirant

Very simply.

The config files between the firmwares do not mix well - I would rebuild the config on update.

Rolling back is as easy as any update.

Message 1356 of 1,478

That is even true when using Netgear's firmware. It is often advisable to reconfigure from scratch.

Message 1357 of 1,478

Thanks for all your advice Michael and Aircomms - I have everything ready and in a week's time (when everyone's out of the house for a day!) I will try The Big Update.

Message 1358 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Yes, this thread right from the start is dedicated to the custom firmware built by @richud for the DGND3700v1 and the DGND3800 modem/routers. This firmware is not provided by Netgear.

I may have missed it, but you will need to use something like 7-Zip to decompress the .xz file. You will find 4 .chk image files inside the .xz file. 2 of the .chk files are specific for the DGND3700v1 and 2 are specific for the DGND3800. There is 1 each of Annex A and 1 each of Annex B so you will need to know whether you are Annex A or B. Once you've decided which Annex you need for your DGND3700 you can load the .chk image from the advanced settings page of the router. I've been using the Annex A for years and it works just great on both VDSL and ADSL. I haven't tested on a vectoring connection, but have been told that it should work if you set Ginp and Sra both on in Advanced setup -> Advanced Setup 2 -> Advanced xDSL Settings. This firmware also was able to handle the recent issue with chromecast that so badly affected the Netgear D7000v1 and which took Netgear a good 2 months to fix in Netgear's firmware. On attached USB drives I would recommend you format the drive as ext3, it seem to perform the best. This custom firmware is something that could show Netgear what their devices could be with competent firmware design, coding and testing.

Message 1359 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

DGND3x00_2018-03-11_12:27.tar.xz

@michbona, link above for firmware with newer Annex B adsl_phy, kindly sent by @Buckchoi

Please post back how you get on.

Model: DGND3700|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1360 of 1,478
cedie
Aspirant

Hi richud, is there any way to change or modify lan/br0 mac address, i wanted to clone my isp's official modem lan mac address ?

Thanks

Message 1361 of 1,478

I've installed the custom firmware, but the router has stopped recognising the USB drive attached to it - it's not showing up in Available Network Folders, and clicking 'Create Network folder' just results in a 'No disk' popup. I noticed upthread the stuff about EXT3 giving better performance so I used Easus Partition Manager to reformat it as that, but no difference. Which is a shame as I wanted the firmware in the hope that its improved SAMBA functionality would make the drive accessible from my Chromebook again (after Google started requiring SMB2). I hope someone could suggest something, otherwise all I've done is lost myself Readyshare!

Message 1362 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Are you saying the drive isn't recognized even after rebooting the router? Do you have another drive or a USB thumb drive you can try? Did you try both USB ports on the router?

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1363 of 1,478

It seems more complicated than just that. Since the upgrade I've tried a mix of USB HDs and thumbdrives, formatted EXT3, NTFS, FAT and FAT32 in both USB slots, rebooting the router each time to make sure. The 'Available network folders' never gets populated any more, event though the dashboard says Readyshare is ready when there's a drive in.

However, when I take the drives out and connect them to my PC, there is a '.READTDNLA\files.db' file on it, which contains details of the drive contents, and also the same share name as is on the miniDNLA setup page as its auto-generated share name, so the router must be recognising and writing to it internally.

Breaking news....

Following a bit of uncontrolled messing around in which the router decided to turn off all wifi unpronpted, the drive's contents has started showing up in my W10 Explorer as 'Network | DGND3X00 | <Drivename>', which I must assume is the router's Samba starting to work, as DNGD3X00 is its Netbios name in the Samba setup page. I haven't seen how resilient this is going to be, or seen if I can connect to it from ChromeOS, but although readyshare is still not working, it's progress...

Message 1364 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

In the Advanced tab under Media Sharing what all have you enabled?

Message 1365 of 1,478

DNLA, NFS and SMB/CIFs. I've got a 'Windows File system for ChromeOS' extension on the Chromebook which now is starting to see the drive (can't get the CB SMB service to), but it's a bit flakey as the router changes its mind about whether the drive is called the drive name I gave it, or a 14-character string which it's presumably derived from the drive, so I keep having to re-map to it, but it's getting there!

Message 1366 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Just FYI. I have an ext3 formatted drive attached to my router and it works fine for the most part. Under Advanced tab -> Media Sharing the only method I have enabled is SMB/CIFS (Samba). I use the drive to backup data from my 2 win10 laptops. I picked ext3 because it seems to be faster. The tried ext4, but it gave me issues. I have had the drive disappear a couple of times, but rebooting the router brings it right back. I normally can run months without a problem.

Message 1367 of 1,478

I think I've got most of the way there by that method now (partly by accident). SMB2 is exposing the drive for use to W10 and ChromeOS, although sometimes it uses the name I gave the drive, and sometimes a 16-character code which it must be getting from inside the drive somewhere. Obviously when it switches between them, the share/mapping breaks, so I'm working around that by naming the drive to this code myself!

I'm living with NTFS rather than EXT3 for now because although the performance might drop, it means I can always yank it out and plug it into a W10 PC if I need to.

Of course because it still doesn't show up in the 'Basic | USB storage' screen, it means I can't make use of the 'Safely remove USB drive' button, but I suppose that just means I have to be careful not to do so during writes. I expect it'll always nag at me, but practically, the new firmware means the router is back doing everything it needs to, so that's all good!

Message 1368 of 1,478
aidarin
Aspirant

Good day!

I have such a thing, I switched from the ADSL-line to the fiber-optic network in general, the speed is certainly good, but I would like to extend the bandwidth of the router in the torrent client. In the client, the maximum that can be allowed is up to 2000 kbps, of course I understand that the maximum of the router can pass through itself about 5-6 mbit/s speed through the usb-ports. The question is, is it possible to overcome this limitation from 2 mbit/s to 5 mbit/s inclusive to expand in the router itself by configuring the settings in the firmware?

Message 1369 of 1,478
aidarin
Aspirant

Hello carterbrandon!

I just had the same problem! For a long time I could not understand in any way what it all connected with. As a result, it turned out that the drive itself is to blame for everything, which can not be formatted normally in the "ext3" file system in the Windows environment with specialized programs! In my case, the formatting process lasted for about 4 hours via Easus, Macrofit, Minitool, Paragon and all of which are similar etc.
In your case, only a very good formatting guide will help with this link: https://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Partition_Format_Drive
The process of formatting on the guide through the terminal on Linux takes place in minutes!
And yet, you definitely need to reset the settings while holding the button for 40 seconds, before flashing the new firmware.chk, and then reset everything again! Reconfig all zero.
After all these manipulations with the HDD drive and the router, you should all get it! At me now all perfectly works.

DD drive and the router, you should all get it! At me now all perfectly works.

Message 1370 of 1,478
ascorp
Aspirant

Hi, how to run WPS ?

Model: DGND3800B|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2 Modem Router
Message 1371 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@ascorp wrote:

Hi, how to run WPS ?

I believe it should work as described on page 23 of the manual which can be found here

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3800B/DGND3800B_UM_03June2013.pdf

Message 1372 of 1,478
ascorp
Aspirant

Network shows with is WPS support, but when i push WPS button its nothing happens ,no join connection, test at PC, Android, and TV BOX.

Message 1373 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I presume that you're using the custom firmware for your modem/router from richud.com since you posted in this thread.

Did you try the Advanced tab -> WPS Wizard method?

Message 1374 of 1,478
ascorp
Aspirant

Yes, i also try WPS wizard, the wizard start normaly and i get 2 min to join WiFi, but when i try connect any device , nothing happens. 

Yes i have firmware mod for annexA, the last available version form richud.

I just wanted to ask if other users of this router (dgnd3800B, Firmware 2018-11-03 richud) have this option WPS work ok? 

Message 1375 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7