Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear DGND3700v1

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

Torrent feature must be mandatory!

Message 1376 of 1,478
ie10
Aspirant

Internet Explorer

Net gear router is the best for surfing the net. If you have wanted to buy it when you buy it because I have it without any problem we got the review and buy it. If you want to know more details about it then follow the site. Internet Explorer 10 customer support

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition
Message 1377 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Internet Explorer

@richud or anyone who knows... Is the current DGND3700v1 Torrent firmware vulnerable to the VPNFilter malware if the device has never had remote management enabled and has always had a secure device management (Genie) password?

Message 1378 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

I don't think WPS works on the original firmware, (at least on the new things I tried it with it never worked.)

https://www.symantec.com/blogs/threat-intelligence/vpnfilter-iot-malware

"
VPNFilter:
Q: How does VPNFilter infect affected devices?

A: Most of the devices targeted are known to use default credentials and/or have known exploits, particularly for older versions. There is no indication at present that the exploit of zero-day vulnerabilities is involved in spreading the threat.
"

A bit further down;

"
UPDATE: Netgear is advising customers that, in addition to applying the latest firmware updates and changing default passwords, users should ensure that remote management is turned off on their router. Remote management is turned off by default and can only be turned on using the router's advanced settings.
"

So long as you have web based remote management off and a password set, I am pretty sure you would be fine.
...which is what I have always advised and why I added a red warning to say don't enable web management in the firmware!
Message 1379 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud Thanks for the response and this great firmware!

Message 1380 of 1,478
ali1234
Aspirant

Hi @richud,

I have a request for the next release of the firmware: please expose the setting "adslctl configure [--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]" on the "Advanced xDSL Settings" page.

The adslctl settings currently available on that page seem to have no effect on VDSL, but the maxDataRate does. It limits the sync speed of the connection, which in theory means it has more margin and should be more stable.

All of the status pages report a higher SNR when using this option, so I do believe it is doing somthing. However I have not tested it for long enough to determine if it actually makes my connection more stable (with defaults I get disconnected about 6 times a day, always between 6pm and 6am) - adding it to the settings page would make it much easier to test long term as I wont have to keep manually entering the setting on the ssh console. 🙂

Message 1381 of 1,478
ali1234
Aspirant

And another request: please include stty, uuencode, uudecode, base64 in busybox.

Some extra pty would be useful too.

Message 1382 of 1,478
chomper
Aspirant

I've just installed the latest version of the firmware, I've seen a 10% increase in downstream speed (NBN, 42700kbps).

Random question about the Annex A and B variants, do they only apply to ADSL connections?

Message 1383 of 1,478
shakti_nz
Tutor

Hi @richud, thanks for this amazing piece of work. 

One feature I find to be missing in the DGND3700v1 Transmission firmware is 'AP mode' under Wireless Settings. This exists in DGND3700v2 firmware and also all new routers released with the Genie firmware. 

Unfortunately the DGND3700v1 fails to function as an access point with DHCP switched off for any clients connected via Wireless. When setup as a WAP, the DGND3700v1 issues LAN clients IP addresses from the main router just fine, however no wireless clients passthrough to the DHCP on the main router. Wireless isolation is switched off. The DGND3700v1 is on the same subnet as the main router with a fixed IP reserved on the main router DHCP (also within main router DHCP range) - this same IP is set as the LAN IP on the DGND3700v1. The issue is confirmed when wireless clients are setup with manually assigned IP addresses in their respective configurations. 

I've searched everywhere and there are numerous reports of individuals with the same problem. This issue is not present in the DGND3700v2. I'm hoping there is an update to the Transmission firmware which includes the AP mode setting and/or necessary fixes to this problem. 

Grateful for any help or advice you can provide. Thanks! 

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1384 of 1,478

@shakti_nz wrote:

One feature I find to be missing in the DGND3700v1 Transmission firmware is 'AP mode' under Wireless Settings. This exists in DGND3700v2 firmware and also all new routers released with the Genie firmware. 

This discussion is about alternative firmware. You will find it hard to find this for any modern/router. Does Richud's hard work take in these beasts?

Message 1385 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

Hiya

I'm on TalkTalk UK FTTC 80/20 (upgraded from 40/10) VDSL2 and using the Annex A 2017-10-06_3.1.22 version of RichD's firmware.  I'm syncing at a steady 70+Mbps down 20Mbps up with G.INP and Vectoring enabled. 

On a fast computer connected via 1Gbps connection, speedtest.net etc I never get faster than about 40Mbps down.  Is this likely a limitation of this router (i.e. I'm maxing it out)?  (If not, I assume it's ISP struggling.)  Is anyone else getting higher throughput on a speed tester via this router doing VDSL2 Annex A?

Warm Regards

Julie

x

Message 1386 of 1,478
jewelie
Aspirant

Ack, ignore me.  For some reason, using my ISP router on the line to check, then going back to the DGND3700V1 transmission firmware, it's now going up to 70Mbps in real world throughput.  Another example of "Have you tried turning it off and then on again?"  😉

Message 1387 of 1,478
Nvdh
Aspirant

Hi @richud. I want to get this firmware on my 3700v1. But im a bit confused how to get it installed.

Should I just add transmissionbt folder with the firmware in that location and restart the router. Will it install automatically on the router and can I remove the usb drive afterwards?

Sorry if it was asked before.

Regards

Nigel

South Africa

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1388 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

This firmware gets installed just like if you download from Netgear and install it from an ethernet attached computer. The difference is that the download is a compressed file. After you download it to your computer you will need to use something like 7Zip to unpack it. There are 4 versions of the firmware in the file. 2 for the DGND3700v1 and 2 for the DGND3800b, one AnnexA and one AnnexB. You will want to use one of the 2 for the DGND3700v1, either the AnnexA or AnnexB depending on which your ISP uses.

Once you've decided which firmware you need to use you should follow the instructions in the DGND3700v1 manual starting on page 66 on how to upgrade the firmware manually.

Message 1389 of 1,478
Nvdh
Aspirant

@w3wilkes Thank you

Thats easy enough, will report back.

🙂

Message 1390 of 1,478
Nvdh
Aspirant

Hi. Firmware is running nicely. Very stable.
Love the adblock feature; still trying to figure out what the best block host is. Any ideas?

Thanks again
Message 1391 of 1,478
bulldog147L
Aspirant

@richud

I just connected to VDSL2 from my Netgear DGND3700 with this version below:

Hardware Version DGND3700
Firmware Version 2015-02-08_1.0.17
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.15

On the E-Mail section - can you updated to add on for Send Alert Immediately when DLM is trigger on the line

Also on the xDSL Advanced Settings - can you set every 60 seconds to refresh itself?

At the moment my connected stats below:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 78882 kbps 19999 kbps
Line Attenuation 0.0 db 0.0 db
Noise Margin 6.2 db 15.1 db

ADSL Link ? Can't it changed to VDSL Link if all possible?

Thanks Richud

Model: DGND3700|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1392 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

You are not running the current software. The current Richud version is 2017-10-06_3.1.22

Message 1393 of 1,478

@bulldog147L wrote: 

ADSL Link ? Can't it changed to VDSL Link if all possible?

The DGND3700 is an ADSL modem that dates back to 2011.

Can alternative firmware make it work on VDSL?

Message 1394 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote: 

Can alternative firmware make it work on VDSL?

Yes, the intial post in this thread links to the alternative firmware that works just fine with VDSL. Netgear initially advertised the DGND3700v1 as VDSL capable and the initial firmware worked with VDSL, but Netgear has buried that firmware. The DGND3800b which supports VDSL is exactly the same hardware as the DGND3700v1 except for the hardware ID. In addition the alternative firmware has several features for the DGND3700v1 besides the VDSL support that also are not in the available Netgear firmware.

Message 1395 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

@w3wilkes wrote:

You are not running the current software. The current Richud version is 2017-10-06_3.1.22

You are incorrect. The latest version is 2018-03-11_3.1.22.

Message 1396 of 1,478
bulldog147L
Aspirant

@Buckchoi Many thanks. I have now updated to latest version 2018-03-11_3.1.22. from Richud for Netgear DGND3700 router. I choose Annex B version for Plusnet VDSL2. Are Annex B correct one?

Message 1397 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

If you're in the UK you use Annex A.
Annex B is used in Germany (and a few other countries).
Message 1398 of 1,478
bulldog147L
Aspirant

Thanks I must have pick the wrong version Annex B but my plusnet hub one reported annex B very strange.

Message 1399 of 1,478
bulldog147L
Aspirant

@Buckchoi U are total wrong. Plusnet say all FTTC in UK use Annex B not A because of VDSL2 Profile

http://download.rubytech.de/VDSL/VDSL2_VC-412/RubyTech%20VS-840S%20&%20VC412-VC-450%20combination%20...

Message 1400 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7