Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear DGND3700v1

Buckchoi
Guide

What are you on about? You're in the UK are you not?

You've posted a link to a German pdf document. .de and Deutschland is Germany. Germany uses Annex B.

Message 1401 of 1,478
bulldog147L
Aspirant

@Buckchoi

I am in UK and using Billion 8800NL since 2014 as my FTTC always has no issues with Annex B see stats below:

adsl info --stats
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 27164 Kbps, Downstream rate = 84341 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

Message 1402 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

You've gotten yourself confused.
That's the VDSL2 band plan Annex, not the modem firmware Annex. They are not the same thing.

http://whatsyourrouter.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=61

You are in the UK, therefore you use the Annex A firmware in the download archive provided by richud.

Message 1403 of 1,478
bulldog147L
Aspirant

@Buckchoi ah ok. I will upgraded latest version with Annex A below:

DGND3700_AnnexA_2018-03-11_D.chk

Message 1404 of 1,478
gregro
Aspirant

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

Hi, I have installed the firmware OK but get an error when attaching a printer "usb 1-1: device not accepting address 9, error -71". Also some errors about "cannot enable port 1,. Maybe the USB cable is bad?". The cable is fine as its the one I attach to the PC to print with.

Any ideas?

Message 1405 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Not sure if you're expecting the DGND3700v1 to be a print server like the DGND3700v2. Neither the factory or this enhanced DGND3700v1 firmware support a USB printer. You must configure the printer to be either LAN (RJ45 cable) attached or WiFi attached.

Message 1406 of 1,478
gregro
Aspirant

Hi, I read in this thread somewhere that it can support a USB printer. The firmware has this included, "p910nd non-caching print server daemon".

Message 1407 of 1,478
alasdairc
Aspirant

Does the latest version (2018-11-03  what's with the date in the future?) support Sky Fibre requirements of a hex encoded DHCP username|password pair?

Model: DGND3700|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1408 of 1,478
schumaku
Guru

@alasdairc wrote:

Does the latest version (2018-11-03  what's with the date in the future?) support Sky Fibre requirements of a hex encoded DHCP username|password pair?

Check the Release Notes (for the European versions, so not using the Netgear US Support settings), or the Advanced -> Internet Settings for the DHCP Option 61, Client Identifier String configuration.

Message 1409 of 1,478
alasdairc
Aspirant

Hi thanks - I'm referring to this specific custom firmware. Previously there was issues with the sly fibre dhcpc extra option.

I just tried it and received a popup saying 'the account name or domain name contains illegal characters '. Once the screen refreshed, the space and colon have been replaced by URL encoded strings
E.g. I enter -x 0x3d:MY_HEX_ENCODED_USERNAME_PASSWORD_PAIR

And it's replaced by

-x 0x3d:MY_HEX_ENCODED_USERNAME_PASSWORD_PAIR
Message 1410 of 1,478
alasdairc
Aspirant

Sorry - to be crystal clear, It's just the space that is rewritten.
Message 1411 of 1,478
alasdairc
Aspirant

I just checked what is stored in nvram using 'param show' and the correct string is saved, however my connection is showing as down.
Message 1412 of 1,478
alasdairc
Aspirant

Hello Richud - is this still an issue - the DHCP extra options having the colon replaced with a space?

Message 1413 of 1,478
Naa2
Aspirant

Hi Richud, can you please provide the latest BUILD.tar.gz?  I would like to build it and make a few customizations.

Message 1414 of 1,478
Naa2
Aspirant

Security Issue when adding extra external IPs

Hi, FYI there is a security issue if additional IPs are assigned to the external atm0 interface.  If you assign an additional IP address to the atm0 interface the administrative web interface is reachable from the new address.

Example:

Your atm0 connection is set to 123.45.67.89/24

Add a second IP address:

ip addr add 123.45.67.90/24 dev atm0

Now if anyone visits 123.45.67.90 with a web browser they will be greeted with the administrative login page!

Depending on your broadband service you may or not be able to assign extra IP addresses to your connection.  However, if you can and you have a reachable address from the Internet, that address will expose the administrative web panel to the Internet.

In line with this, it would be nice if the admin panel would be able to handle configuration of multiple IP addresses for the broadband connection, and also that the port forwarding configuration panel would be able to handle forwards for each assigned external IP address.

Message 1415 of 1,478
schumaku
Guru

Re: Security Issue when adding extra external IPs

This changed subject discussion would be worth a dedicated thread - or more an entry (if it does not already exist) in the Idea Exchange for Home 

@@Naa wrote:

Hi, FYI there is a security issue if additional IPs are assigned to the external atm0 interface.  If you assign an additional IP address to the atm0 interface the administrative web interface is reachable from the new address.

Well, you are going way off here from any Netgear documentations, guidelines, and suggestions.

@Naa2 wrote:

Depending on your broadband service you may or not be able to assign extra IP addresses to your connection.

With business type contracts, ISP commonly allocate a small subnet to the customer WAN. The consumer class routers we're facing here pick up the first address by whatever address allocation method (depends on the connectivity and encapsulation) is made available.

@Naa2 wrote:

In line with this, it would be nice if the admin panel would be able to handle configuration of multiple IP addresses for the broadband connection, and also that the port forwarding configuration panel would be able to handle forwards for each assigned external IP address.

There would be much more required - complete (small) subnets on the WAN side, multiple selected single IP (not very feasible with the atm [DSL] connection, more for ISP coming in with transparent TCP/IP on an Ethernet), the ability to create additional VLAN (LAN side), the creation of M-1 NAT for the additional subnets, the ability to create 1-1 NAT, much more sophisticated DHCP capabilities, much more developed firewall rule capabilities (Internet->Router, Internet-(port--forward/1-1NAT)->(V)LAN and so on. And then this (and again much more) when it comes to IPv6.

While not difficult to achieve, Netgear will argue that all this is not required for the consumer market. I've tried challenging Netgear several times over the years.

Message 1416 of 1,478

@Naa2 wrote:

Does this message have anything to do with the subject of this whole discussion? For example, is the security related to the hand-woven firmware under discussion?  If so, perhaps you can join the dots for us.

If your interjection has more to do with Netgear's overall approach to security, and is something that could affect all users of Netgear things, then there is route to pass this on to the people who can do something about it:

If you are a NETGEAR customer with a security-related support concern, you can contact NETGEAR custo...

Message 1417 of 1,478
Naa2
Aspirant

Yes it relates to the latest 2018-03-11 DGND3700 V1 firmware.  I thought this was a serious enough issue to post it here, since exposing the administrative panel to the outside is a security issue.  If this is not the appropriate forum you can remove the post.

Also, in reply to an above response, I have a consumer DSL connection and yes multiple IPs are an option from the provider.

Hardware Version DGND3700
Firmware Version 2018-03-11_3.1.22

Message 1418 of 1,478
Coco22
Aspirant

Hello.  I am new to all of this and in desperate need of help. Please 🙂

oo

Instaled the latest firmware DGND3700_AnnexA_2018-03-11_D.chk on my 3700. internet works OK. The problem is the "readyshare", how to acces it? It was so easy with the original Netgear firmware.

My setup:

Macbook Pro running ElCaptain

MYTHTTV running ubuntu 16.04

Segate BuckUp cnnected to USB n DGND3700 with "Videos" dir containing all my movies

Before the upgrade my path to access the mvies was "/media/readyhsare/videos/"

Do not remeber if I had to do any mapping or sharing - but then again, it was a looooon time ago 🙂

Can anyne help?  Please.......

Barbara

Model: DGND3700|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1419 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

It's been a while since I had a drive on the USB port on my DGND3700v1 with the Richud firmware. I think from the advanced tab on top you then go down to Media Sharing. Then check Samba Enabled and Samba Running. Can't remember , but you may need to restart the DGND3700.

Message 1420 of 1,478
Coco22
Aspirant

SOLVED.  The confuson was the name of the shares that samba has assigned -lots of numbers and letters, easy to missed one 🙂 On top of that, the "share" name and the folder nae is the same - why THIS can nt be chaned by user? It is written to config file anyhow.......  Took me a whlie but all good in the end.  Thanks

Message 1421 of 1,478
Coco22
Aspirant

Yes, you remember correctly - that's the easy part.......... 🙂  Thanks 

Message 1422 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

You might also be looking to run the DLNA server. This is also in Advanced -> Media Sharing -> DLNA (miniDLNA). You should be aware that at the bottom of the screen you can click the pyramid in the center of the Help Center bar and help will pop up that describes the different settings.

Message 1423 of 1,478
Coco22
Aspirant

Thanks, will look into it - but tha's a job for anther day 🙂

Message 1424 of 1,478

Having installed the richud modded firmware, I'm not sure how best to change the setup for this situation:

I am thinking of getting a new main home router, running CAT6 cable from it to my attic, then moving the DGND3700v1 to the other end of the cable so it can a) extend my home wifi to up there and b) supply 3 (or could it be 4 with the redirect-the-VDSL-port function?) wired ethernet ports.

I guess I would have to turn off its routing functionality and and firewall, and allow the new router to assign it a static IP address in my home network by its MAC address, but I'm not sure which menus/ settings to do this, plus whatever other stuff I need to do. Can anyone give me pointers on all the changes I need to do would be, and where they are?

Thanks in advance!

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1425 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7