Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: New Richud firmware

w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

From what I've seen in these forums from others attemps to set up the DGND3700v1 with Richud firmware (and v1 or v2 with stock firmware) there is no ability to run these as Access points. It can be configured as a wireless repeater, but that doesn't sound like what you're after.

I've set up my DGND3700v1 with Richud firmware as my main router and then set up a Linksys EA6350 as an access point using powerline ethernet since I had no ability to run ethernet cable. Works fine.

Message 1426 of 1,478

Thank you for that information. You're right, I don't want to repeat the wi-fi signal over the air. I used to have one of those and it didn't work well, and certainly wouldn't reach my attic, where the PC would need a wired connection anyway. I was originally planning to do as you have, leaving my DGND3700 as my main router and using a Netgear access point in the attic same as your TP-Link one (thanks for that alternative, by the way). My question was because I'll be getting my ISP to switch from ADSL to cable, and although the DGND3700 can do this, I thought it might simplify support going forward, if I replaced it with the newer router they provide. It looks like I can still take either of those routes.

Thanks again!

Message 1427 of 1,478

Sorry, Linksys, not TP-Link!

Message 1428 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If you run the Richud firmware for some of the additional functionality it provides beyond the modem side (ADSL or Richud added VDSL support), stuff like the ability to control DHCP lease times, Cron scheduleing, torrent client, line attenuation tweeking, etc, I'd look to another vendor. In my opinion Netgear has lost the ability to provide quality, functional firmware, let alone provide ongoing support to fix bugs for their consumer devices.

Message 1429 of 1,478

So if I have a rethink and leave the DGND3700 where it is as my main router, while switching to fibre, can the fibre line go straight into it? It's just that my ISP provide a separate modem and router, which seems messier and I have more confidence in the richud router I've already got.

Message 1430 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I would think the ISP modem can be run in a transparent bridge mode and you should then be able to plug it to the ethernet WAN port on the DGND3700v1 and put your sign in credentials in the DGND3700. If you've set the WAN port to be a 5th ethernet LAN port you should turn that back off.

Message 1431 of 1,478
mauriva
Guide

The last messages of this thread make me think that my idea may not work, but I still try to ask.
I already have a router for my home network and a wifi access point that works well.
But I have a room in the house where the wifi signal is not particularly strong.
I had thought of using my DGND3700 with the latest version of the Richud firmware as an Access Point Wifi or as a wireless repeater.
In another house I could easily do it with a DGN2200v4 because the firmware allows to configur the router quite easily as an AP.
I did not find the same option in the Richud firmware as well.
According to what is written in the last messages, is it not possible to use the DGND3700 as an AP?
And the "Wireless Repeating" feature under "Advanced Setup 1"? How can it be configured?
Keep in mind that I can connect the DGND3700 to the home network with a network cable, but I don't know how to configure it ...

Message 1432 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

The wireless repeater function is as it's documented in the manual starting on page 132. This is not the same as AP mode and is restricted to only use WEP security. I would not recommend using that.

Message 1433 of 1,478
mauriva
Guide

So really no way to use our 3700 in AP mode?

Message 1434 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Nothing I've tried has allowed me to use the DGND3700 in AP mode... And I've tried!

Message 1435 of 1,478
mauriva
Guide

@w3wilkes wrote:

Nothing I've tried has allowed me to use the DGND3700 in AP mode... And I've tried!

I also made some unsuccessful attempts.
I downloaded the DGND3800B model manual but there are no indications to use our Netgear as an AP.
The question then becomes: is it a 3800 firmware limit (on which the Richud firmware is based), or is it a limitation of the Richud firmware version?
Would it be possible to modify the firmware to make it possible to use our 3700v1 as an AP?

Message 1436 of 1,478
antinode
Guru

> [...] is it not possible to use the DGND3700 as an AP? [...]

Please do everyone a favor, and start your own new thread for your
own new problem.  Repeatedly extending this too-old, too-long thread
just makes almost everything harder than necessary.

It's possible to configure almost any router as a wireless access
point.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

That's written for a C6300-as-WAP, but the steps are about the same for
any other router (any make/model) which lacks a one-step WAP option.

> [...] And I've tried!

The non-psychics in your audience may not be able to guess what
you've "tried", or what happened when you "tried" it.

Message 1437 of 1,478
aidarin
Aspirant

New firmware

Something has not been updated firmware for a long time on our router(

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1438 of 1,478

Re: New firmware

@aidarin wrote:

Something has not been updated firmware for a long time on our router(

Are you looking for help of some sort?

Does your query have anything to do with the subject of this discussion?

I ask because this got started six years ago, with a message about "New firmware with built in Torrent Client". But it has changed since then. So who knows what you want?

If you want the latest firmware for your DGND3700v1, if you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Don't expect much. The DGND3700v1 ADSL modem/router dates back to 2011, and was never that powerful. It is seriously "end of life" in Netgear's eyes.

Message 1439 of 1,478

Following a rethink and change of ISP, it now seems I can only get FTTP (not FTTC). The ISP recommend I get a TP-Link Archer C7 to plug into my FTTP wall socket, but in the short term, it would be convenient if I could use my Richud firmware DGND3700 instead, (mainly to save all the work setting up the filtering / port forwarding etc. from scratch). Am I right in thinking this is likely to work if I switch it from ADSL to VDSL and use the ISP's provided PPPoE settings?

Message 1440 of 1,478
antinode
Guru

> [...] The ISP recommend I get a TP-Link Archer C7 [...]

Is there a DSL modem in that device?  I see none.

> [...] to plug into my FTTP wall socket, [...]

That sounds to me like an Ethernet port, not a phone/DSL port.  But I
have no actual information on it.

> [...] Am I right in thinking this is likely to work if I switch it
> from ADSL to VDSL and use the ISP's provided PPPoE settings?

Perhaps, except for the DSL part.

Message 1441 of 1,478

@carterbrandon wrote:

Following a rethink and change of ISP, it now seems I can only get FTTP (not FTTC).

Are we talking NBN here by any chance?

If so, FTTP does not pin it down to the technology involved.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It could be this:

"Fiber optic cable is run from the ISP to your home directly either through the ground or using overhead lines. FTTP or FTTH typically uses a Gigabit Ethernet port in the wall or a fiber modem to which you connect your device."

That article talks about "compatible" Netgear devices, but to me that is verging on criminally misleading. (Note that it also throws standalone routers into the mix) You may be able to use those devices, but not as modems.

Using one as a router, or, worse still, as a wireless access point, is a waste of money. You are paying for stuff that you simply do not need.

You may be able to repurpose an old modem/router for one of these roles. But you are talking about the DGND3700. That is an ancienct, 2011, ADSL modem/router that is not on the list.

The thought of using that in an attempt to save a bit of effort setting up filtering and port forwarding smells like a recipe for disaster.

The general thinking on moving a device from one system to another is that you should factory reset it to forget any settings picked up on the old network. In that case, your settings will go out of the window.

Message 1442 of 1,478

No, it's not that network, it's the UK's BT Openreach FTTP, and they are installing one of their ONT's in the house. I take your point about resetting your router, but the device isn't quite as obsolete as all that. It is the original v1, which is a VDSL2 as well ADSL so has a WAN Ethernet port, and the supplied firmware has been replaced with Richud's custom firmware which is based on much more recent Netgear code.

Expense is also a factor - I've just been made redundant!

The plan is to try to use it, and at the first sign of trouble get one of the ISPs recommended TP-Link Archer C7s on next-day delivery...

Message 1443 of 1,478

What made me hopeful was this list of services that the box works on: https://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Firmware#VDSL2_.28FTTC.29

Message 1444 of 1,478
antinode
Guru

> [...] they are installing one of their ONT's in the house [...]

So, not a DSL connection of any kind?

> What made me hopeful was this list of services [...]

And those DSL services have what, exactly, to do with your new
non-DSL service?

Message 1445 of 1,478

We are assuming different things about the nature of this conversation. I thought I was asking for help out of my ignorance, whereas you seem to think we are in a rather spiky argument about who knows best.

If you feel like being helpful rather than contemptuous, I'd be happy for you to show your superiority simply by explaining to me why the ISPs instructions to connect the wall box to the Ethernet WAN port of this box,

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c7/

can't work if I try to connect it to the Ethernet WAN port of my DGND3700v1 instead.

It's just that I'm getting the impression from you that this isn't a matter of 'the Netgear router is not on the approved list', but rather that it's the wrong device entirely, and It isn't obvious to me why that is. My Netgear box has a WAN port, its menus support PPPoE, so help  me out here - what makes it a non-starter? 

Message 1446 of 1,478

@carterbrandon wrote:

It is the original v1, which is a VDSL2 as well ADSL so has a WAN Ethernet port, and the supplied firmware has been replaced with Richud's custom firmware which is based on much more recent Netgear code.

Looks like the manual is wrong then. Or you are misinterpreting the thing.

The presence of a WAN Ethernet port proves nothing about its DSL status. It just tells you that you can use it as a router.

Not only does the manual say nothing about VDSL, it says it has LAN ports limited to 100BASE-Tx. Not really fast enough for DSL, let alone FTTP. But that is at odds with the Gigabit tag in the manual.

The best place for that sort of thing is in the electronics kit bin at the local recycling centre.

If BT is just providing a LAN port, then use the DGND3700v1 in router-only mode until you can afford something "grown up".

Apart from the settings and sentimental reasons, why are you stuck on keeping this old modem alive? It was never a particularly powerful device.

Message 1447 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

To me the thing you needd to check is that in the Richud firmware you haven't enabled the capability of using the WAN port as an additional LAN port - Advanced tab -> Advanced Setup 2 -> WAN port to LAN - make sure that's unchecked. I would think that this would then make the WAN port not usable as a WAN port. I would think you also may need to set Advanced -> Setup -> Internet Setup to WAN2. Don't know about the rest of the settings on that page like if your ISP login credentials need to come from your DGND3700v1 or not.

Message 1448 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

@carterbrandonI switched to a GPON service in 2014, my DGND3700v1 (3800B indeed) worked fine for some tests on that line as well connected via wan ethernet port to the ONT.. The maximum speed was not the full available bandwidth (mine is a Gigabit service) because low SoC performances.

Of course no DSL or modem involved, in GPON requires an ONT.

Message 1449 of 1,478
antinode
Guru

> [...] why the ISPs instructions to connect the wall box to the
> Ethernet WAN port of this box, [...] can't work [...]

Pending actual experimental results, I assume that it _would_ work.
I just don't understand why you continue looking at DSL stuff when your
new set-up appears to have nothing to do with DSL.

> [...] but rather that it's the wrong device entirely, [...]

No, only that the DSL-modem section of a DGND3700v1 is useless if you
don't have DSL service.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "fiber".  It's
not that complicated.

Message 1450 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7