Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware

LuKePicci
Aspirant

GPON requires ONT

xDSL requires modem

A router is always needed.

Our DGND3700v1/3800B router has an integrated modem which is not used for GPON.

It also have an ethernet port you can connect to ONTs if your ONT has an ethernet port (ONTs are almost always configured in bridged mode when they have a single ethernet LAN port).

Please note, there exist ONTs built into SFP modules which you can plug into devices with SFP slots, and of course there are routers with integrated ONT's as well.

Remember: GPON is not Ethernet over Fiber, just in case.

Message 1451 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

>Not only does the manual say nothing about VDSL, it says it has LAN ports limited to 100BASE-Tx. Not really fast enough for DSL, let alone FTTP. But that is at odds with the Gigabit tag in the manual.<

With the Richud firmware the DGND3700v1 is fully capable of VDSL (and much more stuff that isn't in the manual), I use it just fine on VDSL and the LAN ports really are gigabit, not 100BaseT. Check the title page of the manual, the header on every page of the manual, page 9 in both the standards and performance section all say GIGABIT 10/100/1000.

Message 1452 of 1,478

Michael:

"Not only does the manual say nothing about VDSL, it says it has LAN ports limited to 100BASE-Tx. Not really fast enough for DSL, let alone FTTP. But that is at odds with the Gigabit tag in the manual."

It's worth bearing in mind that the reason I'm getting FTTP is not for high performance, but only because the only alternative in my street is ADSL2. I'm only going to be using it at about 37Mbps downstream, 7Mbps upstream.

Also perhaps you're looking at the manual of the v2, which was a very different device. My manual says all the ports are Gigabit.

"If BT is just providing a LAN port, then use the DGND3700v1 in router-only mode until you can afford something "grown up"."

All I've ever been asking, is whether that might work.

"Apart from the settings and sentimental reasons, why are you stuck on keeping this old modem alive? It was never a particularly powerful device."

Just because if it works, it'll save me £80. 

Message 1453 of 1,478

Antinode:

"Pending actual experimental results, I assume that it _would_ work."

Except the implication of everything you've said previously has been rather more discouraging.

"I just don't understand why you continue looking at DSL stuff when your new set-up appears to have nothing to do with DSL."

I'm not 'looking at DSL stuff', I just own a device with DSL. It's starting to look like that's irrelevant to my setup, and yet you keep banging on about it.

"No, only that the DSL-modem section of a DGND3700v1 is useless if you don't have DSL service."

So what, if I don't make use of it? For an expert, you don't half miss the point. How about tell me what I need to know, not what I don't?

"Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for Documentation. Get the User Manual. Read. Look for "fiber". It's not that complicated."

Except that the Richud custom firmware, as I keep saying is installed, renders the User Manual 60% wrong. So following your patronising advice would be stupid because i) It's sat next to me, ii) so is the DGND3800 manual which covers the Genie firmware that's closer to Richud's, and iii) so is Richud's firmware documentation. I'm not sure you give very good advice, you know, so I'm done with your 'help' and your attitude.

Message 1454 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Have you checked to make sure the WAN port hasn't been reassigned as a LAN port in your Richud firmware?

Message 1455 of 1,478

Yes I have, it's not, and I won't be doing that. I've also found out from the DGND3800 manual what the WAN2 is for (IPTV in Germany) and how to use it, which isn't covered very well in Richud's man pages.

Message 1456 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Then the last thing is do you need to provide the ISP login credentials like if a modem is in transparent bridge mode or should you set it so that "your internet connection doesn't require login". That's all I got, hope you get it working! With all the "help" from Antinode I'm surprised this is still ongoing.  😉

Message 1457 of 1,478

Thanks wilkes!

Message 1458 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Does that mean you've got it working? If so let us know what it took and it might help others with the same question.

Message 1459 of 1,478
stewielives
Aspirant

Re: New firmware with built in Client

I've read all of this and am wondering if the original point was lost.

The OP asked if the 3700v1 would work with FTTP. I'm not sure if fibre to the premises works in the UK as it does in Australia, but this should be simple. And the answer should be, yes it does.

Plug an ethernet cable into the FTTP box in your house (make sure it's the port they told you to plug it into). Plug the other end into the WAN port of the 3700v1.

Make sure the WAN port is not set as a LAN port.

Enter the PPPoE details in the Internet Setup fields, and ensure that WAN, and not DSL, is activated on the multiplexing page.

That should be about it.

Message 1460 of 1,478

wilkes: Not yet. The ONT gets installed on Tuesday. Before then I'm going to make a note any possible parameters the ISP hasn't mentioned and get their advice on what to select, then try it on the day. If it doesn't work, I'll ditch the DNGD and fork out for the recommended routr. Happy to feed back if it does work. Maybe even get richud to add it to his list of tested installations!

Message 1461 of 1,478
ittroll
Apprentice

@antinode wrote:

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look

for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "fiber".  It's
not that complicated.

Unfortunately, it's also not that relevant. This device is running custom firmware which significantly changes the capabilities and operation. I don't understand why you would tell someone to go read a manual for what is effectively a different model.

Message 1462 of 1,478

@carterbrandon wrote:

It's worth bearing in mind that the reason I'm getting FTTP is not for high performance, but only because the only alternative in my street is ADSL2. I'm only going to be using it at about 37Mbps downstream, 7Mbps upstream.

There aren't many BT clients on FTTP. Most are FTTC and that is usually VDSL.

So at the moment everyone in shooting in the dark, partly because of the confused trickle of information.

I'm surprised by that download speed, unless that is your choice. BT sells FTTP as 100 Mbps and up. Is that "Fibre Essential"? 

BT also says that FTTC comes with its own equipment, and usually insists on supplying it. So, unless yoiu have found a way to tell them BT to put it, see what it delivers before worrying about turning your DGND3700 into a router.

One thing to bear in mind is that BT's "hubs" are locked down in ways that disable a "modem only" option. That would complicate using the DGND3700 in router mode.

@carterbrandon wrote:
Also perhaps you're looking at the manual of the v2, which was a very different device. My manual says all the ports are Gigabit.

So far everyone has been talking about v1.

Netgear's "V" variants are never "very different" devices, just iterations from V1.

In any case manuals for all variants of the DGND3700 have, as I pointed out earlier, the same misleading clash between the "Gigabit" tag and the specifications, where all say "10BASE-T or 100BASE-Tx".

This is not the only Netgear manual that gets this wrong, which is why I added that proviso. A better guide is probably the "data sheet".

Have you checked what else you get with your custom firmware? As you won't be needing the DSL modem, you might want to see if a official firmware is in any way more useful to you now. For example, does the Netgear Genie app work for you now?

None of the manuals say anything about VDSL, but we now know that is because you are using hand-rolled firmware. Bit that has nothing to do with the WAN slot on the back. That was there, and available to use, with the official firmware.

Message 1463 of 1,478
LuKePicci
Aspirant

It will work for sure, I was using it in this mode with Richud firmware years ago, it is also capable of doing some autosensing to find the correct wan interface between DSL or ETH if you select Auto, there is a simple dropdown to allow choosing between them as well, then any parameter about PPPoE/DHCP will still need to be configured as usual from the internet connection settings. Make sure any required VLAN ID is aslo correctly set, I don't know if your ISP uses one.

FTTx acronyms meaning is usually completely different across countries, if you talk to international people you always need to specify the country as well. None of the Australian NBN deployments match the usual European ones. I'm not sure about UK names but her is short translation table from NBN names to Italian matching ones:

NBN   -> Italy  ->    distance from the fiber) -> technology

ADSL -> FTTN        a few kilometers)              ADSL2+

FTTN -> FTTC        50-1000 meters)                VDSL2/eVDSL

FTTC -> FTTB/dp* less then 50 meters)          some future very fast DSL spec

FTTP -> FTTH         0 meters)                          GPON (current) / ethernet AON (deprecated)

* not deployed in practice

Message 1464 of 1,478

Michael:

Yes, the new firmware uses the Genie interface. But about my situation, It's quite unusual, in that my street is going straight from ADSL to FTTP, with no intervening G-Fast or FTTC, and my current ISP don't sell FTTP anywhere. They are a subsidiary of BT, so are probably staying off their high-end sales. Not that I'm going with BT - but rather with a small ISP who don't charge much more for 40/10 than my current lot do for ADSL. And my main reason is to get a better upload speed than the 1mbps max I have with ADSL. I could get 1000 down, but it would cost a fortune and I don't need it.

This ISP recommend (but don't supply) a couple of TP-Link routers, but my original question was all to do with whether I could use my existing one instead.

Also, I am interested in the custom firmware features. There's a specific thing on it that might not be present on the ISPs recommended router. That's support for SMB2 on the USB port. This isn't in the original Netgear firmware. I need it because some of the devices I want to be able to access the router USB hard drive, insist on SMB2.

Message 1465 of 1,478
stewielives
Aspirant

My opinion is that it will work.

If you really want to be sure, look up the manual for one of your ISP's TP-Link modems. Compare the features and instructions for connection.

If the advice from the ISP is to plug an ethernet cable into your WAN port, and to connect using PPPoE credentials, it should work. That is a fairly standard connection.

Message 1466 of 1,478

Reply as promised to wilkes:

The BT Openreach engineer fitted the ONT box today, and by putting a CAT5e cable between it and the router WAN port, switching it to PPPoE, and putting the ISPs username and password in, I've got the richud DGND3700v1 working quite happily on my new FTTP.

Message 1467 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Cool, glad to hear it's working! Did you use the AnnexA or AnnexB version (with the modem being outboard, it may not matter)? Just an FYI, I've had the most recent version of the Richud firmware (I'm AnnexA) lock up, once on ADSL and once on VDSL. In both cases it took 2 - 3 months for the hang to happen. Since the modem will be doing the xDSL type function this may not matter to you. I've gone back to the -1 (2017-10-06_3.1.22) version and have not seen a lock up on either in over a year. You can find the -1 version at richud.com.

Message 1468 of 1,478
Aircomms
Aspirant

It has been a while since Rich updated this router, does anyone know if he is still updating the router?

I know the router is getting old, can anyone recommend a replacement with a decent alt firmwire?

Message 1469 of 1,478
jezza1222
Aspirant

Hi..I have a fttn connection with exetel in Australia and I cannot get the modem to connect. I have flashed Annex a and Annex b with no luck. Any advice or tips to set this up directly with the dsl connection. Thanks
Message 1470 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

You need to find out from your ISP what settings are required for a modem. Stuff like Transfer mode (ATM or PTM), Multiplexing method, Does it use a VLANID and what the number is if it does, etc. Many ISP's have this info on their website so I'd look there.

Message 1471 of 1,478
jezza1222
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I have all the setting put in from the ISP but apparently the NBN can block your router port for fttn connections for 48hours if the settinngd were initially wrong..I'll try again
Message 1472 of 1,478

Just to confirm that you are using third party firmware on the specified device? The DGND3700 and the DGND3700 V1 Transmission Firmware.

I ask because this discussion has been running for quite some time.

Message 1473 of 1,478
jezza1222
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the reply. Yes the Richud
Firmware for the v1
Message 1474 of 1,478

I have a USB hard disk connected to my router, which I am sharing out with SMB2 (For some reason Readyshare can't see it). Is there an easy way of preventing specific computers on my local network from accessing it? If it's any help, I can restrict them to having a contiguous range of IP addresses.

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1475 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7