Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

richud
Apprentice

New firmware with built in Torrent Client

{Mod note: this is not official Netgear firmware and will not be supported by Netgear} Download link for latest build here; http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Firmware I have made a new firmware with built in Transmission-daemon torrent client http://www.transmissionbt.com/ , based on firmware V1.0.0.17_1.0.17 with some updates. 1) format your USB hdrive/stick with an ext3 filesystem (formatted as a hard disk with partition table), [suggest if not using Linux to do this from Parted Magic or any live boot distro.] 2) create a folder on it in the root 'transmissionbt' 3) flash firmware When the router boots, if it sees a drive and that folder it will start transmission-daemon and set some default options for it. (/tranmissionbt/settings.json will contain all the settings, this is available by browsing to the router via samba, you will need to read the info on transmissions site about these settings if you are not familiar with it) The web interface will then be available here (link on normal web interface); http://192.168.0.1:55555 I will write further details including what is updated/sources/patches etc. later I just thought I would give anyone who wants a play with it a chance first. Dropbear ssh server is also running, using l:admin p: (whatever your web password is) if you want to poke about, telnet is disabled. Link (assuming Mega works) https://mega.co.nz/#!AVpnFZjb!AhN33SXTgd-aIEhoAH7SxjG6dVUApRQd8RxOam9sMYI MD5 ea451ae6e34c48e66292cd1237791413 DGND3700_03021748_A_D.chk

Message 1 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

** Sorry I forgot to mention this is only for DGND3700 V1 only !!
Message 2 of 1,478
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Thank you for posting

Make sure to add disclaimer notes on open source firmware you compiled 🙂
Message 3 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

I put this together to have a torrent capable machine running requiring very little electricity and running silently.

Additions
----------
+Transmission 2.77 (+libcurl +libevent)
+DropBear 2012.55
+Strace 4.7

Updates
---------
+ADLS firmware > A2pv6C035m.d23k (from .20 beta)
+Busybox 1.00 (2008) > 1.21 (2013) + lots of additional programs in.
+Udhcpd (standalone, 2008?) > Udhcpd built into new busybox (2013) - fixes lots of things like it assigning IP's already in use.
+Kernel support of ext2/3 drives
+Most programs including kernel compiled for performance instead of small size. (CPU restricted, not RAM)

Note - if 'transmissionbt' folder is absent it will run as the normal firmware + benefit from the updates.

Caveats
---------
This router is very CPU limited (one MIPS core at 400Mhz, the other core is for signal processing and doesn't run the operating system), but has plenty of ram (128Mb)

The reason for using ext3 drive is because the NTFS driver uses masses of CPU which when running any other program it will sooner or later crash the router. (Router crashes under sustained CPU load, line dropping is first symptom).

TR069/CPE wont be working as BRCM patched lots of bits in BB/udhcpd - this is a 'remote management of end-user devices', but I cant imagine anyone is using this - in fact I don't really like the idea of it anyway.

While everything should still work on the original web interface, altering things relating to sharing/usb in the web interface will reset samba and the ext2/3 drive share will dissappear until reboot, however TBT will still be ok.

Minidlna is off running when using TBT/ext3 drive due to its high cpu usage.

Samba is another high cpu using program but only when in use - i.e if you start dragging large amounts of data over the network while running transmission it may well cause problems, however to hopefully stop it crashing the router I have set samba and transmission running with 'nice' which means they have a low CPU priority and hopefully shouldn't crash it.

If anyone uses this please post a comment to say how you get on - its running fine for me 24/7 without problems.
Message 4 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Toolchain howto: http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Rebuild_Firmware_Toolchain This firmware build : http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Bittorrent_Firmware More info about router and firmware will appear there soon too.
Message 5 of 1,478
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Installed it just for the sake of the updated firmware - works nicely!
Message 6 of 1,478
airush
Aspirant

Fantastic idea,,, any possibilities of a version for the v2 model, this seems to be the coolest feature yet...!
Message 7 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

New firmware released!

https://mega.co.nz/#!RAYFFJbC!J176QQThPqXdHvX6BGsl3yJQsNZ12nZivipQxj3-MPA

MD5: 237167e5f61e308f74bca16967f264f2

DGND3700_03261737_A_D.chk

Features:

Startup settable services:
telnet (busybox)
dropbear (SSH) 2012.55
transmission 2.77
samba 3.6.12
nfsd (v2/v3) (nfs-utils 1.2.7)
miniDLNA 1.0.25 (+updated all libs ffmpeg 1.1.3, jpegv9, flac1.2.1, zlib1.2.7, libvorbis1.3.3, libogg1.3.0, libid3tag0.15.1b, sqlite-autoconf-3071502 )

ADSL SNR setting

busybox 1.21.0
ntfs-3g (driver) 2013.1.13
adsl driver from 1.0.0.20 firmware

support for large file, fat/ntfs/ext2/ext3/ext4(dev)
Message 8 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Message 9 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Sorry, appears forum doesn't like images from Mega
Lets try again.

ADSL SNR Setting (I went from 14 (DG834GT) to 17Mbit with -4.5dB and get to 18Mbit with -5.5dB, stable) Modem in this thing is great!

Service setting

Message 10 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

WOW! Thanks so much for the work you've put into this! I'll be giving it a try later this week. Too bad Netgear doesn't seem to have the technical ability to support their products. Supposedly the modem is itself is VDSL capable. Do you know if this ADSL driver has VDSL capability?
Message 11 of 1,478
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Yep, nice one again - working fine!
SNR setting of -3 improved my speed by 1000kbps

good work!
Message 12 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

w3: various bits of info that adslctl generates suggest it has VDSL support but unfortunately I dont have any FTC in my area to play with it.

Forgot to say on previous post I have tested samba/nfs/miniDLNA with XBMC and it will play ok from any of them. Have also tested this newest version of miniDLNA with a LG tv and was ok.
Message 13 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

thanks for your work
Message 14 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

thanks for everyone's support ! If anyone is wondering how stable transmission is - I just looked at my stats and I have done 53Gb up / 170Gb down since starting on the HDD plugged in at the moment (and had zero problems.) Oh and for people who aren't used to Transmission, there is 'Transmission Remote GUI' which has a much richer interface to it.
Message 15 of 1,478
oldany
Aspirant

Hi guys, i flashed this firmware for the torrent client and it works fine! But i have a problem with the samba server.
When i mount on my mac the external drive connected to my DGND3700 i see only 64 mb of free space in that drive.....but i have a lot of gb free in this drive!! This block every action that require to put in this drive files over 64mb from my Mac. Can you help me to find any solutions? :confused:
Message 16 of 1,478
oldany
Aspirant

I installed this firmware for torrent client and it works very well! But i have problem with the samba shares.
When i mount the drive on my iMac i see only 64 mb free on this device.....but i have lot of gb free!!! with the old firmware everething works fine and i see the real space left on the drive....can you help me?!? :confused:
Message 17 of 1,478
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

Had to go back to your first (DGND3700_03021748) firmware..
..as general download speed was too bad (<100kB/s) with the latest DGND3700_03261737

I had the same problem with the original netgear .17 firmware while .12 was fine.
Message 18 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I installed the DGND3700_03261737_A_D.chk (3/26) on my v1 and it seems to be working fine. I don't run any drives, I have a real server for that. The rest of the firmware is working just fine. I'm in the US and the only thing I noticed was a warning that I was loading a WW version rather than a NA version. Just say yes. It can have the region set after you burn it. Didn't seem to need to reset the router, all settings carried across and seem to be working fine. I can see and use the UI tweaks. Again, Thanks
Message 19 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

oldany: same here - seems an issue with samba mounting, http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/samba-showing-only-64mb-space-on-laptop.1748/

I just altered the way it mounts and it fixed it as per thread, I was trying to avoid having to mount drives separately though. (Rather than just mounting the /media folder on boot and then not having to worry about it, it means having mdev stop and start samba when things are plugged in/out)

Temporary fix is telnet in, edit /etc/smb.conf (with vi!) and change
path = /media
to
path = /media/YOUR-DRIVE-LABEL-HERE
save it,
cat /var/run/smbd-smb.conf.pid
this should give you the process ID,
then do this, assuming the number you found was 1234
kill -HUP 1234
this should reload samba server's config - now try browsing to 'READYSHARE' again.
[just tried on mine and ok now, but will only last until router power cycled]

Or you can mount via NFS share instead. [Sorry dont know anything about MACs]
The root export is nfs://192.168.0.1:/
or you may have to be specific with something like
nfs://192.168.0.1:/YOUR-DRIVE-LABEL-HERE
(you can see from doing
cat /etc/exports
through telnet)
Message 20 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

websurfer593: both have same adsl firmware blob from 1.0.0.20 firmware, sounds like ISP - time of day/ bandwidth throttling, different IP block ?
Message 21 of 1,478
oldany
Aspirant

Thank you Richud, i will try the workaround when i come home tonight.......you think is possible to solve permanently the problem in the next release of your firmware?
NFS in the last version of OSX is not implemented by default and i have to use external app to do this, but i can try.
Message 22 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

One other note. The first line of the log shows the version that you said it would be;
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.0.20_1.0.20_Static_PPA] Thursday, Mar 28,2013 09:23:55
However the router status page shows;
Firmware Version V1.0.0.17_1.0.17
Not that it's a big deal, but I thought I'd point it out.
Message 23 of 1,478
marco_182
Aspirant

Hello Richud,

I've installed your last mod firmware for transmission.

I've formatted my 5400rpm hard disk in ext3, created a new folder "transmissionbt" and connected to the router, after i've checked the md5 of the firmware and uploaded to the router.

I've enabled transmission and added a torrent to see how it works.

Great all the night!
But today i have a lot of problem!

1) transmission doesn't work now..
I've rebooted my router for the second problem and now i can't control the torrent, i can't open the transmission WebUI, i can't do anything..
I try to stop/start transmission service but nothing, i try to reboot the router or remove and reinsert the hard drive but transmission is dead.
2) address reservation doesn't work..
I need it because i have a lot of pc/tablet/smartphone and with this tool i can manage my network.

If you need, this is the mounts:

http://postimg.org/image/em1hx98h5
Message 24 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Richud, I believe that I'm also seeing the issue with address reservation not working in your latest released firmware (DGND3700_03261737_A_D.chk). Address reservation can be specified, but it appears to be ignored.
Message 25 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7