Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

pietrodevo
Aspirant

richud wrote:
this is the latest if you get a moment to try it

Everything fine with latest firmware, the new XDSL Advanced section is great, nice job @richud, thank you again

richud wrote:
@wkskerp, great thanks 🙂

If anyone is interested...
I am currently trying to work out how to enlarge what I think is an arbitary SDRAM buffer size set in the adsl kernel module (adsldd.ko) so slightly larger (newer) adsl_phy (like A2pv6C038q which supports G.vector ) will load.

You just never stop improving this router and surprising us! Sounds really good, if you will try and need to test it, then you won't miss people glad to do that here for sure 😉
Message 651 of 1,478
PickMe4Beta
NETGEAR Employee Retired

spam removed
Message 652 of 1,478
AveshR
Novice

@Richud, feature to override the WPS button is awesome. In addition to my chron schedule, I can now also switch ISP's connections at the touch of a button 😄
Message 653 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

aveshr: cool :) bit of an update - After two weeks of effort I modded adsldd.ko to let (new) larger PHY load, however the kernel crashes. I then took the (as it turned out) already broadcom modded one from the latest 3800, which still needed a hexedit, and that also loaded new PHY but crashed kernel the same. I then spliced the key broadcom bits from the 3800 into my 3700 and it stopped it crashing but it now just hung [not sure why]. I then built the whole 3800 GPL code and flashed that to the 3700 and that booted but actually hangs on bootup not opening a shell, [not sure why yet, completely different problem though]. Anyway I just now flashed with the as-provided .chk file from a 3800 and it booted ok. I just swapped out the latest PHY and it worked.
/tmp/mnt/usb0/part1 # xdslctl start BcmAdsl_Initialize=0xC0113C24, g_pFnNotifyCallback=0xC014C754 Clocks for QPROC and AFE are being aligned with step through ... AFE is aligned, i = 080, PhaseValue = -050, PhaseCntl = 0x3F7F3FCD QPROC is aligned, i = 001, PhaseValue = 0050, PhaseCntl = 0x3F7F7FCE Clocks for QPROC and AFE are aligned with syn_status AFE = 0x70, QPROC = 0x78 AFE phase control reg @0xb0f570f8 default actual = 0x0021C38F, exp = 0x0021c38f QPRC phase control reg @0xb0f5f0c0 default actual = 0x0421C38F, exp = 0x0421c38f pSdramPHY=0xA7FFFFF8, 0xEF92F 0xDEADBEEF *** XfaceOffset: 0x5FF90 => 0x5FF90 *** *** PhySdramSize got adjusted: 0xED1E8 => 0x123BA0 *** AdslCoreSharedMemInit: shareMemSize=58429(58432) AdslCoreHwReset: pLocSbSta=86e98000 bkupThreshold=3072 AdslCoreHwReset: AdslOemDataAddr = 0xA7FAD4B0 ***BcmDiagsMgrRegisterClient: 0 *** dgasp: kerSysRegisterDyingGaspHandler: dsl0 registered /tmp/mnt/usb0/part1 # xdslctl --version xdslctl version 1.0 ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C039g1.d24h /tmp/mnt/usb0/part1 # xdslctl start --bitswap on --sra off --lpair i --mod dlt2pemv --up BcmAdsl_Initialize=0xC0113C24, g_pFnNotifyCallback=0xC014C754 dgasp: kerSysRegisterDyingGaspHandler: dsl0 registered /tmp/mnt/usb0/part1 # Line 0: xDSL G.994 training Line 0: VDSL G.993 started Line 0: VDSL2 link up, Bearer 0, us=800, ds=5797 bcmxtmcfg: XTM Link Information, portid = 0, State = UP, Service Support = PTM bcmxtmcfg: Reinitialize port 0 traffictype 2 bcmxtmcfg: Normal(XTM/PTM) Mode enabled Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) SAR RESET. Broadcom Packet CMF (Experimental) SAR INITIALIZED. bcmxtmcfg: Connection UP, LinkActiveStatus=0x1, US=800000, DS=5797000 WAN Preference: AUTO, Link Up new_wan_ifname = atm0.101 Start DSL WAN now...
Not quite sure what to do now! Port the key Broadcom bits back from 3800 to 3700 base or port my bits to the 3800 base!?
Message 654 of 1,478
jackal992
Aspirant

Hi guys!
Here is a very simple and probably stupid question...
I am not able to find the router settings page once called "USB storage".
(in the manual:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3700/DGND3700_UM_11May11.pdf
around page 80)

I'd like to enable FTP access on my USB disk.
I can't find all those options like password protected access to USB devices, read only/write access to USB devices, list of USB devices allowed...

Thank you very much!
Message 655 of 1,478
ittroll
Apprentice

Is it possible to add a white list to the DNSMasq ad-blocking feature?

In general it does a really good job but stops two key shopping activities from working;

Now whilst I can toggle the feature on and off as required, that doesn't work so well for the rest of the household.
Message 656 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@jackal:just enable samba service for USB sharing, no further options. FTP removed as insecure. External access enable dropbear (ssh) service and use SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), e.g. with Filezilla. Suggest also using a non default port for external SSH. Internal access use either samba/NFS/SFTP. @ittroll: yes, glad you asked as the google thing annoyed my missus and it has made me look 🙂 the answer is here, haven't tried it yet though as at work.
Message 657 of 1,478
jackal992
Aspirant

Thank you very much richud!
Dropbear is working fine, of course! 🙂
Message 658 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

jackal: cool In answer to my previous question, for anyone who is interested with the prospect of new DSL PHY's [which seems to be no one!] - I am now porting my all my mods to the DGND3800 V3.0.12 codebase. (I tried over the w/e and gave up doing it the other way around due to the spaghetti dependency mess.) So if anyone is interested I will put up some beta's as I go perhaps. To begin with there won't be any of the additional web page interfaces for things as this is the biggest/annoying/least fun/pain to do! - but everything will still be in the background. I am trying to decide whether to try and patch the web interface as before (which I hated) or just run busybox httpd daemon and code some cgi , running as an addition, then everything can use AJAX and be much easier to do, in the long run. hmmmm
Message 659 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

This is just a FYI post for anyone upgrading to VDSL with Centurylink in the old Qwest region. Here's the proper settings;

ISP Protocol: PPPoE
Authentication Protocol: CHAP
Enter the PPP Username ^
Enter the PPP Password ^
Line Mode: Auto or 8A
Transport Mode/Encapsulation: PTM - tagged
Set the VLAN: 201
Static IP address: NOT checked
MTU: 1492
Select Apply/Save
Wait up to 3 minutes for the 'DSL and INT/Internet' lights to turn solid green

I found the Transport Mode to be critical. It must be PTM or it won't authenticate. I see nowhere in this firmware to set the Line Mode so I'm assuming it is Auto - it does work.
Message 660 of 1,478
marco_182
Aspirant

Hi people,

Can anyone know where to find the "Web Site Blocked by NETGEAR Firewall" page?
I can't find it under /www/ folder.

I have to modify it to suit my needs.
Message 661 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

@richud: I'm interested, and am happy to be a beta tester. DGND3800B Firmware Version 3.0.0.16 has been released.
Message 662 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

just an update :
Well after almost an entire month p*ssing about trying to get the 3800 code just to boot up without the kernel crashing it transpired a vital kernel patch is 'missing' from their provided source code. (among other missing, but more obvious, things).

Anyway I now have another problem in that the dhcp client isn't attempting to start when the vdsl link comes up. Manually starting it though everything then appears to be fine. Have a nasty feeling this is going to take ages to solve, but at least it cant be any harder than that first problem was....

On the plus side all the add-on programs and such have back ported fine. Then the dreaded web interface to do 😞

If I can get dhcpc problem fixed I will put it out for anyone brave to play with.
Message 663 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

I have blob 39m if you need it. It's the latest one I've found so far.
Message 664 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@buck: cheers, could you kindly mail it to blob @ richud . com , also I have fixed dhcpc issue - going to start on gui now (so all working now and all the other backend stuff seems to be ok)
Message 665 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

Email sent. Good luck!
Message 666 of 1,478
antduncan
Novice

Openvpn

Hi Richud,

Great work on the firmware. Been running it for a while and last week moved to Sky VDSL with no issues.

I have a question regarding the OpenVPN Server settings. I have tried setting it up as per the instructions and have copied relevant certs to an Android device with OpenVPN for Android installed (Tried official OpenVPN connect as well). However I cannot make a connection. It just stalls (as below) when making the connection and eventually timeouts.

2015-03-26 10:39:58 UDP link local (bound): [AF_INET][undef]:1194
2015-03-26 10:39:58 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]151.227.xxx.xxx:1194
2015-03-26 10:39:58 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1427366398,WAIT,,,

I am using all default settings and Port 1194 etc. I have enabled the OpenVPN service in Network Settings but noticed that when I toggle the state to Enable in the right hand panel it always comes back in a stop state. Is this normal and if not how can I enable it ?

I also tried resetting and starting over but I get exactly the same issue. I'm on the latested version of firmware

I feel like I must be missing something obvious here but i'm tearing my hair out here now after messing with this for a couple of nights. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated !!
Message 667 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

Re: Openvpn

Have a look at the openvpn_value parameter (param show openvpn_value). If like me you find it has run the "--push route" together as "--pushroute" you can separate it by using a param set openvpn_value="corrected version of string with space added" followed by a param save command. openvpn should then run ok.
Message 668 of 1,478
antduncan
Novice

Thanks whskerp !! You're a star. I had noticed earlier in the evening the below in the Syslog when the roter started so I had assumed there was a problem with the config, but your post pointed me in the right direction. Once I changed the openvpn_value and put a space between the push and route all worked fine 🙂

Feb 8 00:00:03 (none) daemon.warn openvpn[625]: Use --help for more information.
Feb 8 00:00:03 (none) daemon.err openvpn[625]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in [CMD-LINE]:1: pushroute (2.3.4)
Message 669 of 1,478
teros
Aspirant

Guys,

Finally got off my butt and signed up for a VPN service that will allow torrenting.

So has anyone got this device working in client mode before? Anyone got it working to only forward ports or torrent traffic via a vpn? Thought easier to ask and play on the side.

So far having issues with the user/pass passing which looks like either a reconfig:

Any chance of adding the OpenVPN gui Richud?

Sat Mar 28 07:01:11 2015 Sorry, 'Auth' password cannot be read from a file

Using the below config file.

client

ping 5
ping-exit 30
dev tap
fast-io
proto udp

remote 62.212.85.102 443

resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun

mute-replay-warnings

ca /media/1.42.6-3211/VPN/ca.crt
cert /media/1.42.6-3211/VPN/cactuspremium.crt
key /media/1.42.6-3211/VPN/cactuspremium.key

reneg-sec 0

ns-cert-type server

auth-user-pass /media/1.42.6-3211/VPN/pass.txt

verb 3
Message 670 of 1,478
Ardie
Novice

Hi Richud. Your firmware has been very useful to me. Thanks for the work!

I just wanted to chime in and say I would also find a GUI for the OpenVPN settings very handy.
Message 671 of 1,478

Hi Richud,

Thanks again for your superb work! I'm trying to find the OpenVPN server config file, server.conf to add some extra DNS settings, so that I can use the router's DNS entries to resolve internal addresses when connected via VPN. Where is the file stored? Or do I just have to edit the startup script to include the DNS entries as dhcp option?
Message 672 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

MichaelSchemmer, The configuration vatiables are passed on the command line to the daemon via the "openvpn_value" NVRAM variable. See post #668 above.
Message 673 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Just an update: I am coming along well with everything, just redoing all the web pages for the programs (including openVPN) giving most of options for each one on the web page. Now I have made(still fiddling with) a proper cgi interface in C this (when I get it all working) will make everything miles easier to add/change things on. All the new bits will run via AJAX so no rebooting and messing about. (I was intending to release something by now but keep just wanting to get a few more things working first!) I will try and put something out by end of next w/e.
Message 674 of 1,478
teros
Aspirant

Any chance when you do the configure on openvpn you can enable the passing of user/pass via a txt file?

Any chance that AJAX would have a page for iptables or something to configure openvpn by port so all bt traffic through vpn etc?

richud wrote:
Just an update: I am coming along well with everything, just redoing all the web pages for the programs (including openVPN) giving most of options for each one on the web page. Now I have made(still fiddling with) a proper cgi interface in C this (when I get it all working) will make everything miles easier to add/change things on. All the new bits will run via AJAX so no rebooting and messing about. (I was intending to release something by now but keep just wanting to get a few more things working first!) I will try and put something out by end of next w/e.
Message 675 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7