Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware with built in Torrent Client

marco_182
Aspirant

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

Update:

Disable every service, format again in ext3, shutdown the router, connect the hard disk, power up the router, enable only transmission and now WebUI and windows/android GUI works great..
Message 26 of 1,478
marco_182
Aspirant

And.. Again..

Transmission stop working after 5 minutes..

Always the same problem (connection refused)

I don't know if it is the hard disk, today I can try with another one but this one is very loud
Message 27 of 1,478
KorII
Aspirant

Hi, i have the same problems, no transmission and no DHCP, i think that a new firmware mod release is needed! 🙂

(sorry for my bad english)
Message 28 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Hi - sorry the forum notifications seemed to have stopped working so wasn't getting any message when anyone posted after oldany's one. (oldany) Samba is ok now, sorry it took so long I was working on the NTFS with NFS export problem. New firmware link: https://mega.co.nz/#!hdZSEJSD!NFLSbjSScuggfa-VgBZ4Ii0BlpUpwcffawLRe7pu0hw I've (re)fixed NTFS mounting and working (ok via DLNA and SAMBA , but not with NFS, I have spent ages and cannot get it to work , if anyone knows a lot about NFS mounting please look! [using fuse 2.7 kernel module and ntfs-3g with its internal libraries]) now supports NFSv4 hotplugging now works more reliably, 'unmount usb' will now correctly stop all the services and unmount any usb plugged in. Probably a lot of other small things I have fixed too... marco - Ive not managed to have any problems myself with transmission? Can you try it with miniDLNA off and running from a low power device to test, like a USB stick? You can try altering the settings in the transmission settings file (.json), turn everything down so just try with one torrent , 20 connections and limited upload/download speed. address reservation may well be broken as I changed some ancient version of udhcpd to newest in busybox to fix some other problems people had with DHCP not working, ill have a look at that when I next get some time. Never had a problem with DHCP generally not working though?
Message 29 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

yep static leases broken - udhcpd in busybox handles them in its main config instead of a separate one for some reason - will fix shortly.
Message 30 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Richud,
Again, thanks for doing all this! For me regular DHCP is working fine, the only issue I have is with address reservation. For devices that never come off my network I had always done both static IP in the device AND address reservation (kind of a both way document on the network) so these worked fine since I reserve from the highest in my DHCP range down. I do rely on address reservation for a couple of laptops that do move to other networks from time to time so I don't have static IP's set in them, but do have port forwarding set for a couple of ports when they are on my network. I noticed that address reservation wasn't working when I plugged in one of the laptops and the port forwarding didn't work. I checked and the laptop was given the first available ascending IP, not the one I had reserved for the MAC address of the laptop's NIC.
W3
Message 31 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

okey this should have fixed udhcpd;

https://mega.co.nz/#!9QZ1UKLJ!I3tNKFPaGdHb7xuJyYWn_gCmHBgvzulL6DvZm_Ms9ro

(After 'Applying' any static lease changes you would need to reboot router also.)
Message 32 of 1,478
KorII
Aspirant

Very good jobs! Thanks for the bugfixes but i don't understand if you have fixed transmission or not :confused:. Anyway i'm going to try the last modded release!
Message 33 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@Richud, Once again a big THANKS! Looks like this takes care of address reservation. Installed, reset router, completed setup, set a reserved IP, rebooted the router and checked... Device was connected on IP that was reserved for it. THANKS!
W3
Message 34 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

A quick update on this. I did a install of the monthly Windows updates, restarted the PC and the IP address that the PC was given is not the IP address that was reserved. The address reservation appears to only be partially fixed. It works when the router is power cycled, but doesn't work when a device with a reserved IP is restarted.
Message 35 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

hmm, the static leases are in /etc/udhcpd.conf which are added on bootup from the routers NVRAM - if anything is altered in the web interface after that it will wipe them out as that file gets re-created with its original format (all the config is hard coded inside httpd/acos_service, which Netgear dont release the source too, which makes doing all these simple things 100x harder). I cant think of any other reason your client wouldn't get the correct IP after a reboot. I did (minimal) testing with my own machine unplugging/replugging etc and it always worked. Had you altered anything in the router?
Message 36 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I didn't think I had changed anything on the router, but I might have since after installing this firmware I was doing a "from scratch" setup on the router. After getting your response I've power cycled the router which did give the reserved address to my laptop (as it should). I'll keep a eye on things, do some testing to make sure I don't change anything on the router and post back in the next few days on my results. Thanks for the reply and your efforts.
Message 37 of 1,478
KorII
Aspirant

For me the DHCP is working perfectly but i really need a transmission fix!
Message 38 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

KorII, I just picked a random USB stick , formatted it ext3, created the transmissionbt folder, rebooted router & stuck it in replacing my normal drive, and have been downloading a torrent for last half hour without a problem - Afraid I can't produce any problem with it. Can you please try doing the same with a USB stick, replacing whatever you have been using? This will rule out any power issue or other issue with whatever you have been trying. Please check your transmissionbt folder also has full access when you have created the folder. i.e. chmod 777 it, [although I don't think this will matter]
Message 39 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Just incase anyone doubts it works :) Note the times are wrong as transmission starts before the ntpclient sets the time, hence dates/times are from Jan 1st 2003 [router has no battery backed up clock like on a pc]
Message 40 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Richud, A quick update on IP address reservation. I've done a reboot and also unplugged / replugged the Ethernet cable and in both cases I got the reserved IP for the computer correctly assigned. This is great work and thanks again for your efforts. Later this year I'm hoping to be able to see if the VDSL capability that now appears to be re-exposed in this router works. When that time comes I'll update this thread with my findings.
Message 41 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I've been playing more with address reservation with my laptop and have run into this issue. I have just tried setting 2 reserved addresses for my laptop, one for the Ethernet and a different IP for wireless. I would have thought this is okay since each has its own MAC address. I do have to set the device name for each different (LaptopLAN and LaptopWifi) because it doesn't allow duplicate device names when setting this up in the router. Neither of these names actually match the computer name set in Computer properties in Windows 7. I have power cycled the router and rebooted the laptop. It doesn't get the reserved Wifi address, it just gets what DHCP on the router gives it. When it was working on the LAN connection both the device name and Ethernet MAC matched what was set in the router. Do both the device name and MAC have to match? I would have thought that only the MAC address would be used when the router is checking a device for a reserved address and that the name is just used for people friendly in the router displays. If both MAC and device name must match then the reserved address table should allow duplicate device names as long as there are different MAC addresses.
Message 42 of 1,478
marco_182
Aspirant

Same issue after update the firmware with the latest one.

I' ve tried with an external power USB hard-disk (3.5" - 250GB/750GB/1TB) and a self-power USB hard disk (2.5" - 160GB/250GB)

When i have a USB Flash drive I can try..
Message 43 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

One more update on reserved addresses and DHCP on the DGND3700_04091659_A_D.chk version firmware. I switched to Ethernet on my laptop and the IP given is the correct reserved IP with the device name used not matching the computer name in Win7. This leads me to believe that address reservation works fine for Ethernet, but not for Wifi and also indicates that only the MAC address is used when the firmware is checking for reserved addresses for a newly connected device (at least for Ethernet).
Message 44 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@w3wilkes Just tried setting a reserved address for laptop over wifi and worked fine. (works exactly same as an eth lease) Imagine your wireless device is requesting the address it already has, which the router would accept, as opposed to doing a broadcast for a new one. You can look in /var/log/messages on the router to see what is happening. The naming in the web interface static leases - it just takes the hostname of the machine at the time (or you can specify something else) - it doesn't get handed out with the dhcp lease or anything like that, the static leases are just MAC<>IP pairings.
Message 45 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud, Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the name was handed out by the router, I was thinking that maybe when the router was seeing if a connection request it was comparing both the MAC and device name for a match before it handed out the reserved IP.

I'm now back to where neither the Ethernet or wireless will go with the reserved address so I'm guessing that your speculation of the PC requesting the address is what must be going on. Machine is Win7 x64 and current. I did try doing a WinSCP into the router, but I get a "connection refused", I also tried doing the telnetenable.exe to unlock the router, but that also didn't work. I tried http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug and that didn't work either. So I can't tell you what's in the log in the router.

You don't need to keep working on this as I'm sure you probably have real work to do and from the sounds of this thread it seems like there's only me having this problem. I will say that this address reservation and DHCP stuff is one thing that worked perfectly in Netgear's .12 and .17 firmware.

I've looked through IPCONFIG and don't see a way to tell Windows that the machine should just say "I'm here" rather than "I'm here and would like n.n.n.n IP".

Again, thanks for the work you've already done.
Message 46 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

One last comment on DHCP and address reservation. I would have thought there would be at least 2 cases in DHCP where a computer requested IP would be denied by a router. Case 1 would be if the router already had assigned the IP, it would not be a good idea to duplicate a already in use IP. Case 2 would be if in DHCP a IP is reserved for a certain MAC address. When that MAC address comes in and requests a IP I would have thought that DHCP would deny that request if the IP didn't match the IP that was reserved for that MAC. In other words the router would effectively say "sorry, you can't have that IP, but I do have this one for you". I don't know if there's any standard, but that's the logic I would have used to code it(it would have to be in IBM mainframe assembler though 🙂 )
Message 47 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@w3
This newer udhcpd in busybox does a broadcast before offering an IP to make sure it doesn't give out one that is the same as a device already (I don't think the original one in the firmware does). I imagine same is true so it wont give out a static one if address already exists but haven't tested. (Obv if you add a machine to network with an address that is already been assigned you'll be in trouble, at least until the lease expires when the first device requests a new address which would then be changed to a non conflicting one)

these are the defaults for udhcpd
http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/examples/udhcp/udhcpd.conf

I changed my lease adddress & added a Win7 machine (missus') to the static leases on my router too, rebooted router and Win7 got the reserved address without me having to do anything. I am therefore rather stumped as to why you are having problems?

This is my log file (this firmware has syslogd!)

Firstly two errors are from original udhcpd config file, relate to wins/domain server options, cause no harm.
The first offer is to the Win7 machine OFFER which is acknowledged ACK, lease IP .15
I then went back to my Ubuntu machine (which doesnt auto detect and change IP, and renewed the connection manually, which triggered it to get its new lease .10

BusyBox v1.21.0 (2013-04-13 09:39:51 BST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ # cat /var/log/messages
Jan 1 00:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[436]: can't parse line 11 in /tmp/udhcpd.conf
Jan 1 00:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[436]: can't parse line 12 in /tmp/udhcpd.conf
Jan 1 00:00:12 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: udhcpd (v1.21.0) started
Jan 1 00:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[436]: max_leases=235 is too big, setting to 205
Jan 1 00:00:13 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000f
Jan 1 00:00:14 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000f
Jan 1 00:00:14 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.0.15
Jan 1 00:00:14 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000f
Jan 1 00:00:14 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Sending ACK to 192.168.0.15
Jan 1 00:00:17 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000f

Jan 1 00:01:35 (none) daemon.notice pppd[1198]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Jan 1 00:01:35 (none) daemon.notice pppd[1198]: PPP: Start to connect ...
Jan 1 00:01:35 (none) daemon.crit pppd[1198]: PPP LCP UP.
Jan 1 00:01:36 (none) daemon.crit pppd[1198]: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.
Apr 28 08:52:43 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000f
Apr 28 08:52:44 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000a
Apr 28 08:52:44 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.0.10
Apr 28 08:52:44 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Sending ACK to 192.168.0.10
Apr 28 08:54:07 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[436]: Found static lease: c0a8000f
~ #

Incidently I have my DHCP lease pool starting at .50 although that shouldnt make any difference, it just stops any potential conflicts.
Message 48 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@w3

If you go into 'sharing services' on router and start telnetd you can just telnet straight in to root on port 23, [saves dicking about with telnetenable thing]

If you start dropbear you can ssh in (should prompt you first time to accept key)
Message 49 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud,
Thanks for the telnet tip (duh, worked like a charm). Here's the log. The big thing I notice is that I get no message in the log that a static lease was found for the PC. It just gets offered 192.168.0.4 and that's what it ends up with. The other thing I noticed is that your BusyBox date is newer than mine.

BusyBox v1.21.0 (2013-04-09 16:57:55 BST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ # cat /var/log/messages
Jan 1 07:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[438]: can't parse line 11 in /tmp/udhcpd.conf
Jan 1 07:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[438]: can't parse line 12 in /tmp/udhcpd.conf
Jan 1 07:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[438]: bad line 15: 1 tokens found, 2 needed
Jan 1 07:00:12 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: udhcpd (v1.21.0) started
Jan 1 07:00:12 (none) daemon.err udhcpd[438]: max_leases=235 is too big, setting to 31
Jan 1 00:00:48 (none) daemon.notice pppd[1075]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Jan 1 00:00:48 (none) daemon.notice pppd[1075]: PPP: Start to connect ...
Jan 1 00:00:51 (none) daemon.crit pppd[1075]: PPP server detected.
Jan 1 00:00:51 (none) daemon.crit pppd[1075]: PPP session established.
Jan 1 00:00:51 (none) daemon.crit pppd[1075]: PPP LCP UP.
Jan 1 00:00:51 (none) daemon.crit pppd[1075]: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.
Apr 24 05:29:37 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.0.2
Apr 24 05:29:37 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending ACK to 192.168.0.2
Apr 24 05:30:52 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.0.3
Apr 24 05:30:52 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending ACK to 192.168.0.3
Apr 24 05:32:21 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.0.4
Apr 24 05:32:21 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending ACK to 192.168.0.4
Apr 24 05:37:01 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.0.3
Apr 24 05:37:01 (none) daemon.info udhcpd[438]: Sending ACK to 192.168.0.3

Another note is my DHCP lease pool is set for 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.32 and my reserved addresses are within that range. The device that got the 192.168.0.4 IP is the log has address 192.168.0.14 reserved for it. Not that it makes any difference, but the MAC is 00:23:8b:7a:27:45.
Message 50 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7