Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware with built in Torrent Client

chittu
Aspirant

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

SSH works fine over WAN. I failed to notice a new enable option "WAN Access" thanks
Message 151 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@w3: hmm, I didn't change anything with the SNR, at least since I expanded the menu, what you described previously sounds like your browser is caching things when it shouldn't - hiding and unhiding the log should show you the live log/file on the router. (I only use Chrome tbh. but should at least work as expected in FF)

Win7 - have no idea what it is trying to do so sorry cant help with that?

dhcp - the 'messed about' and broken client the original firmware had was replaced using busybox version that works properly, the downside is that any static leases are only added on bootup because the leases are read into the config file from nvram before it starts up. Adding new ones on the interface will probably trigger the config file being overwritten and nullify the leases in it (they were in a separate file previously), and this only re-creates on reboot.

There may be various things I can do to improve dhcp, can you explain what you are trying to ultimately achieve by using static addresses as it may help me decide what direction to go with (e.g. try and fixup udhcpd somehow with some trigger mechanism, change it to dnsmasq, add Avahi [mDNS/bonjour]or something else - all have + and -'s )
Message 152 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@Richud, Thanks for the response! As I said in my last post the SNR thing appears to work fine now so it may have been something with caching. I use IE mostly and it's been known to do some "different" things.

On the static leases here's my issue. I use my laptop as a music server for my Squeezebox system. The Squeezebox server software runs on my laptop and plays to Squeezebox receivers over my local network(s). The laptop does move between my 2 physical locations with each having their own local networks and Squeezebox players and also moves to other foreign networks. The Squeezebox receivers work just fine when the server IP stays the same, otherwise the receivers more often than not get confused and will require a reset and re-config when the server changes IP addresses. I know this part isn't your problem, but Logitech has discontinued the Squeezebox line so they are no help. (plug for Squeezebox... I would look for another music solution, but Sonos and the rest of the players don't come anywhere near Squeezebox's capabilities).

Since the laptop moves to different networks it's not really feasible to set the IP for the laptop up as static in the laptop. This necessitates using address reservation in the router for the laptop on the 2 networks where I have music players. Then when I go to a foreign network that I don't have control over the laptop is happy to take whatever IP DHCP on that network gives me.

I know you said you couldn't help on the Win7 network map problem, but I've found one other thing that happens on the DGND3700 when this "show network map" fails. In Advanced - LAN Setup - Device Name. I initially had this set to DGND3700. When I attempt the Network map the Device Name changes to "802.11 Broadcom Reference". There's then a "X" on the right side of the text box that when you hover over it says "You must enter text with 12 or fewer characters". So something in the network map request is causing the router to change to this illegal device name. I then correct the name and apply which then causes the specified reserved addresses to be forgotten and it's time to power cycle the router to get the reserved addresses back in udhcpd.conf.

Hope this info is helpful. If you decide that you can't really do anything for all this I'll understand. As it is, I pretty much know when the router will have to be power cycled and other than the address reservation issue this firmware is fantastic, so thanks for all you've done already!
Message 153 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

@w3wilkes - That network map problem isn't specific to richud's firmware, I also experience the mapping process error and the device name change, and I'm currently running LuKePicci's firmware.
Message 154 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@w3: I investigated what goes on with the web interface and leases, basically setting a lease sets the nvram and the temp static lease file (ignored with new version of udhcpd) and nothing more. Clicking apply just bluntly and instantly kills and restarts of almost everything on the router [for whatever reason], overriding the udhcpd conf and hence when it comes back up is unaware of any static leases. It even resets the adsl link to defaults!

Anyway I am ditching udhcpd completely and doing it all with dnsmasq [as openWRT does] which amongst other things will let local names resolve (which would probably get around needing static leases anyway as you can just use hostnames rather than needing ip's ?). Hopefully that can be made to do graceful restarts etc and not take the router down.

It will also do some other cool things but I will leave that for another post as its not related to this bit.(tftp/ipxe)

The only downside is I dont think the web interface would be able to see current machines where you can usually just click to add to static pool. Although I can probably do a new interface page to get around that, not got that far yet 🙂

Anywho I will update in next few days hopefully...
Message 155 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Thanks for looking at this!
Message 156 of 1,478
meadwell
Aspirant

Does this firmware put external drives plugged into the USB port to sleep?
I am interested as there seems to be no way for setting the drive to spin down when inactive.
Message 157 of 1,478
Devor
Luminary

While it is not healthy for a mechanical hard drive to keep spinning up and down, if your drive is a Seagate, download the Dashboard utility and set sleep parameter.
Message 158 of 1,478
meadwell
Aspirant

Devor wrote:
While it is not healthy for a mechanical hard drive to keep spinning up and down, if your drive is a Seagate, download the Dashboard utility and set sleep parameter.

Thank you Devor!

Yes I have a Seagate! I had no idea about the Dashboard Utility. I did as you said and now I can leave my drive plugged into the USB on the router 24/7 and it sleeps automatically at night!:)

You are a star!!
Message 159 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

https://mega.co.nz/#!UVYxiDiT!QeCXVxqtHKxJIHuV1TmIMhOunihgW9b1cFDo85ru3Q0 As requested (w3!), a lot of effort to this release (DGND3700_10201736)!! Additions/Improvements: udhcpd nuked, DNSMasq now doing DNS and DHCP, featuring; -resolvable LAN hostnames including the router -DNS query caching (including local caching for TBT trackers etc.) -simultaneous query of DNS servers, using fastest. -some protections against attacks involving DNS PXE boot enabled, with two flavours of Memtest86 currently bootable, via TFTP > HTTP (iPXE > PXELINUX), F12 on most systems at boot. [expansion in mind, pull larger stuff from the USB drive] Can add LAN/Ethernet port to the bridge (to act as 5th LAN port) Renice original default programs to low priority on startup Fixes: Dropbear SSH Firewall enabled didn't stick after power cycle (moved on menu, now called 'dropbearfw') Static leases work correctly now! I think the 'network map' thing now works, presumably due to DNSMasq, if anyone cares to confirm? Minor, for anyone building their own: I altered some of the build folder/file structure to make it more straightforward @meadwell: My 2.5" WD drive spins down if idle after a while when connected (just how it came)
Message 160 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@R, Thanks so much! I'll be loading this up later today once I have some dedicated router time. I have come up with another question. In the base Netgear firmware in the USB Storage (Advanced Settings) there is the ability to change the Workgroup name (for those of us using Windows Workgroups). How would I do this in this firmware? No biggie since I don't seem to have any issues accessing a USB drive from my local PC's.

A comment for anyone using a USB drive with this firmware from Windows PC's. Make sure you format the drive using like EXT3 (You can use a tool like pwhe8.exe from CNET downloads to format a USB drive attached to your Windows PC in EXT3 format). I've used both NTFS and EXT3. NTFS is PAINFULLY SSSSLLLOOOOWWWW!

I'll update once I get the firmware up and running.

Thanks again, W3
Message 161 of 1,478
Devor
Luminary

meadwell wrote:
Thank you Devor!

You are most welcome.

richud wrote:
mega.co.nz

I went there out of curiosity and it's squealing that I'm using an "outdated browser that is not supported". I change the user agent, no joy. What Firefox version do you need for Mega?
Message 162 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Works fine with both Chrome and IE10 on Win7 x64.
Message 163 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@R,
I've got the new firmware installed and so far it looks GREAT! I've verified that I can set reserved IP's via LAN Setup and then verified through

cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf

and the dhcp-host= entries in dnsmasq.conf match what I set in LAN Setup. And verified the devices have the IP's that I set. I also modified other settings that would have required the router to be power cycled to get back the reserved IP's in the old firmware and things stayed as they should. A side note is I didn't have to factory reset for all this work. I upgraded directly from your 10121522 to this 10201736 version.

I'm now going to try a ext4 formatted USB drive looking for a little performance bump.

Thanks again! W3
Message 164 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Well I've tried Ext4, but it just won't work. I formatted using wphe8.1.1 and all was well. Couldn't get it to start when connected. Same HD formatted at Ext3 works just fine. Could it be Linux kernel level? This is 2.6.21.5 and Ext4 wiki says final stable was 2.6.28. I definitely do not have the expertise to say one way or the other.
Message 165 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@Devor, Just tried in Firefox 24 & Chrome 29 ok, never had any issues with it and no one else has said anything, are you blocking/disabling anything 'default' in FF?

@w3, great! , yeah ext4 was marked 'experimental' at the time the kernel was made, (ext4 drive didnt work for me either as I presume the spec perhaps changed, but I didnt fiddle about to try anything to get it working tbh , I just stuck with ext3) I dont think I can backport ext4 patches to the kernel?, out of my expertise level, but if anyone knows please shout!
[Incidently you can format drives with ext2 when they are attached via Busybox's mkfs.ext2]
I think the limiting factor relates to the USB bus/ I/O in general [think common across all devices of this type?] so filesystem wont matter much, so ext3 should be fine, the only reason NTFS crawls is it is a userspace driver & cpu guzzler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Linux

(Also I have never had to do a factory reset on mine, this firmware only adds some extra nvram variables so shouldn't ever have an effect flashing back to original firmware etc, not sure why you have needed to in the past?)

Anyone tried PXE booting with it? I was going to add some more bits to it for booting larger things from USB, parted magic, Ubuntu live cd etc. not sure how interested anyone is?
Message 166 of 1,478
Buckchoi
Guide

Regarding ext4 support, I wonder if it is possible to update the kernel? Some other devices that use this chipset are running on version 2.6.30.
Message 167 of 1,478
Devor
Luminary

w3wilkes wrote:
Works fine with both Chrome and IE10 on Win7 x64.

...and...

richud wrote:
Just tried in Firefox 24 & Chrome 29 ok, never had any issues with it and no one else has said anything, are you blocking/disabling anything 'default' in FF?

No blocking or disabling. It's just a matter of using an older version of Firefox that Mega apparently doesn't like. Most of the time when I come across a website like this that complains, I simply change the user agent to something else and, what do ya know, the site works. 🙂

In this case, when I changed the agent to Firefox v21, Mega still complained. It's not important, at least not for me and like you said, "no one else has said anything". I was just curious.

Thanks w3wilkes and richud.
Message 168 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

My factory resets in the past were completely self inflicted. I had tried going to the LuKePicci firmware that had all the Annex x stuff just for fun. Then when I came back to this firmware my router was stuck in German. Took me quite a bit of fiddling to get things back to English. I did finally get it and the process is over in the Luke thread. Again, Thanks for this great work!
Message 169 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I just tested the Win7 - Network and sharing center - network map. Still gets a error and resets the Device Name in LAN Setup to "802.11 Broadcom Reference". Not a biggie, just thought I'd mention it.
Message 170 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

w3@ i assume you have network discovery on? can you tell me the steps you are doing to get that to come up, I tried on vista (!) and win7 and seems to be normal ? I just go to view network map and it seems to produce what I'd expect?

There are some ext4 patches I applied http://ftp.be.debian.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/old/2.6.21-ext4-1/ and disabling 4 options lets ext4 work.. well it mounts at any rate. One thing that is enabled is extents which may make it worthwhile, I will need to do more testing.

Am currently looking into watchdog to try and restart pppd if it craps out. I very very occasionally have it where the adsl link is up and ppp is down and you cant restart it from the webui. From some earlier posts I think this is more common for people, possibly on bad lines? - the ppp seems to recover a certain amount of times before it falls over. [I also found on the original firmware it did this quite often when it was under load, although with mine I personally no longer have that problem.] I also often have the wifi not work after a soft reboot [although no one else has mentioned it?] hopefully can sort that too. {note, the original firmware had all these problems for me}
Message 171 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Yes, I have network discovery turned on. To recreate right click the network icon in the System tray (just to the left of the clock in the Task bar) and select "Open Network and Sharing Center" from the context menu. From the Network and Sharing Center window's top section it shows my PC on the left with a connection line to my router in the center and then a line to the Internet on the right. To the right on the Internet globe is a "link" to "See full map". When I click this link a mostly blank window appears that says it's discovering my network. After a few seconds it gives the error that it was unable to create the map and then the Device Name in LAN setup is changed. I've tried this with 2 PC's on my network, one is Ethernet connected and the other is 5G wireless, both fail. I have 3 devices connected 2.4Ghz, 1 5Ghz and 2 Ethernet. I have another network also on a DGND3700v1 with your firmware with about 2X the number of devices and it also has this same error. Like I said, this is no biggie.

On the ppp, I've never seen any of the things you mention. My ADSL connection is rock solid and the wifi seems to always work. I too have read all the items in this group about ADSL drops requiring a power cycle to get the connection back, but I've never seen it.
Message 172 of 1,478
gxrino
Aspirant

Hi @Richud, your firmware seems to grow up very well..
So, here is another "little" request to you to improve it further 😄 :
Could you enable the telnet client in your next busybox compilation?
It could come in handy in many circumstances :rolleyes:
TIA
Message 173 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

You can do this yourself from the "Network Services" menu item. Just select the Enable and Start radio buttons. You should the be able to use something like Putty to Telnet into the router. Works like a champ!
Message 174 of 1,478
gxrino
Aspirant

@W3, you're speaking about the SERVER side of telnet.I'm asking to @Rich to compile the CLIENT side 😉
Message 175 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7