Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware with built in Torrent Client

w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

Oops, sorry. Should've read more closely.
Message 176 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

w3: I cant manage to reproduce that network map problem you have, but I only have one windows machine on the network so , anyway as you say I think think it matters much 🙂
gxrino: ok done, I am just fiddling about with something else, all being well I will compile for you tonight (GMT)
Message 177 of 1,478
gxrino
Aspirant

@Richud, take all the time you need .. I am waiting without haste.
In any case, this is a first-class service 😄
Thanks again.
Message 178 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@Richud, I hope you didn't spend too much time looking at the network map thing. With all the rest of the work you've done to make this device into one of the best devices available a person couldn't ask for more! Thanks again, W3
Message 179 of 1,478
xmd5a
Aspirant

It would be great if DGND3700v1 could download files via wget using cron. GUI for this task is preferable.
Message 180 of 1,478
Malpd
Aspirant

not sure what wget and cron are, but if its for direct url download you can always use http://burnbit.com/ to turn the link into a torrent and download it with transmission
Message 181 of 1,478
Malpd
Aspirant

ok i gooled it and its a little more complicated than what i thought 😛 my bad:rolleyes:
Message 182 of 1,478
xmd5a
Aspirant

Malpd wrote:
ok i gooled it and its a little more complicated than what i thought 😛 my bad:rolleyes:

Thanks anyway. Did not know about this service.
Message 183 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

xmd: wget is part of busybox but is quite cut down, does it do what you need? If not I am already building the full cUrl for the libs for transmission so could include the executable part if that helps ?
Also, does cron in busybox do what you need (I can add it easily enough).
I would suggest storing its 'runfile' info in an nvram paramter, then you can alter the contents to redirect it to your usb drive if that is where your scripts are for example?

If anyone is interested I am delayed in latest firmware as have been trying to backport lots of kernel patches from 'Oleg's WL-500' firmware, have done the straightforward ones, but I am loosing the will to live now with it.
Message 184 of 1,478
xmd5a
Aspirant

Yes, cron is what I need.
May be it is better to contribute to OpenWRT project than developing this firmware? OpenWRT is a way better but does not runs on DGND3700 at that moment.
Message 185 of 1,478
mistrzmalarstwa
Aspirant

It might work with custom compilation, i cannot test i said bye to broadcom based routers.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=45581
Message 186 of 1,478
mistrzmalarstwa
Aspirant

Forget to mention, if you dont use adsl port (rj-11) you are lucky guy, openwrt is adequate. But if you use rj11 you need to use orginal firmware with closed driver from broadcom. Richud made this all bells and whistles on orginal Netgear firmware (he was forced to) - thanks again.
Message 187 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

New firmware https://mega.co.nz/#!MEZhWahA!LhHSs12dcB4DJMYxyooZmV4fPTkvnUBPRh2dQP9IphU Updated: - minidlna to 1.1.1 (and all the associated AV libraries). Now minidlna correctly working daemonized rather than in debug mode! (bug in original toolchain and so botched to work by netgear!) It should take up less resources now doing a scan too & work with more tv's etc. - openssl 1.0.2 - all the AV libs that minidlna uses. Fixed: - dnsmasq now back to low resource usage, thanks to a tool called dnsblast that let me get to the bottom of it. https://github.com/jedisct1/dnsblast - unplugging a usb device should stop services and cleanup everything properly. - other minor things I cant remember now as it has been so long since last release. Changes: - Transmission and minidlna are now using ionice (similar to nice for cpu usage) to get low dibs order on the usb drive and not hog it. - Setting nvram option cron_value with a normal crontab entry will make crond start using that value. - curl binary added for more advanced usage.
Message 188 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Oh, and forgot to mention I have used lots of (the ones that patched ok anyway) kernel patches from oleg's firmware for Asus routers, I guess it may help the stability etc. as they generally are fixes. https://code.google.com/p/wl500g/ @gxrino: added your telnet client request too
Message 189 of 1,478
Naa
Novice
Novice

Thanks for this latest firmware! This is so awesome!

One thing I've been concerned about lately is being able to make sure WPS is permanently disabled. As per this article "How to Crack a Wi-Fi Network's WPA Password with Reaver" WPS is a huge security hole and should always be turned off.

But I find that even when I check the box in the router's settings under Advanced -> Wireless Settings -> WPS Settings -> Disable Router's PIN that it still sometimes gets re-enabled.
Message 190 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@naa, I've found that if I put the check to disable WPS PIN and also turn a radio off and then back on with the WPS PIN disable checked that it will stay disabled. Takes a couple "Apply's", but it worked for me. 🙂
Message 191 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@Richud, As usual, a big thanks and all is working on this new release so far. A question... I was reading through some of the Oleg linked patch info and notice that RT-N-1.9.2.7-rtn-r4923 (2013-03-16) and several earlier RT-N things show backport patches for ext4. Do you know if these have corrected the ext4 problems? If you don't know I'll probably give ext4 another shot later this week or early next week to see if it works on this go round. Thanks again, W3
Message 192 of 1,478
Naa
Novice
Novice

I have a question: what this Netgear box amounts to is a custom Linux system with an atm, ethernet, and wlan devices acting as a bridge/NAT/firewall. How much would it entail to get an atm interface for a regular Linux box and do all this on our own? I would love to see a Howto on how to create one's own broadband modem/router.

Does anyone know of any off-the-shelf atm interfaces that one can just stick in a Linux box to connect to ADSL on their own?
Message 193 of 1,478
Naa
Novice
Novice

I have another question: when telnetd is enabled it is open on the internal LAN and externally. How can we have it enabled but not accessible externally? This is a huge security hole.
Message 194 of 1,478
macinmac
Aspirant

@richud

Thank you.

I am using an PPoA service, and I would like to set the MTU at 1492 but it doesn't let me..it says..attached a image. Anyone knows why it would not let me do that? Also, is there any improvement in changing that MTU value, I am not having ANY type of problem since I upgraded to this firmware, not even one,( I had before, with netgear default ones).

Is there any trick around to change that?

Thank you.

Message 195 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

This limitation was also in the Netgear .12 and .17 native firmware for PPPoA. I was lucky in that I was able to switch to PPPoE with my ISP which allows the 1492 MTU. I would guess that this is a limitation in the Netgear ADSL driver that is being used in the Richud firmware (he was able to use the never release .20 beta ADSL driver which I believe is more robust in the area of recovery capability). I've also found the Richud firmware to be "head and shoulders" above what Netgear gave us!
Message 196 of 1,478
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The MTU essentially sets the point at which data packets will fragment, too high a value can cause this. Setting the value marginally less than the optimum will have no noticeable effect on throughput, so a setting of 1400 will typically work as well as 1492. Note also that on some systems the header size is already taken into account so the maximum value could be something less than expected e.g. 1472
Message 197 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@naa (1): I couldn't get Reaver to even get as far successfully trying a pin against the DGND3700 (was successful eventually on another D-Link AP though, but it is a lot harder than you may think. I couldnt get it working with about 4 other AP's I tried too), if you managed to crack yours, what were your settings? @w3: Originally I was trying to get ext4 working, a lot of patches are applied towards that, but after a few weeks on and off I gave up as it was too difficult. I think oleg's started off with a slightly newer kernel and some intermediate patches aren't on this one. Router will mount if you create the ext4 filesystem with these tuing options (removing) ^flex_bg,^huge_file,^uninit_bg,^dir_nlink , however it was corrupting for reasons I couldnt understand writing to it. Doing with ^extent made it ok, but then you are essentially back to ext3 so it is pointless. Having extents is the main reason you'd want ext4 - the code for it is there but it doesn't work. @naa (2): I have absolutely no idea! @naa (3): Port 23 isnt open on the firewall. @macinmac: Firstly I am no expert, secondly IMHO there is a lot of crap written about it, look at 10 'expert' sites and you'll have have 10 different answers and explanations. All I can say is you are more likely to run into problems than you are going to improve anything but upping it. Things will frag and you may not realise , you will just get random crappy internet performance and be wondering why (as Mars_Mug says). It depends on your multiplexing method , ISP and whatever is between you and what you are connecting to. (I think). Saying all that to change it simply do 'ifconfig' and look at pppoa0 you can see the current MTU, doing 'ifconfig pppoa0 mtu 1478' will change it to 1478 immediately. ISP's usually suggest what is best for their network (I presume they know what kit they have) BT in the UK says 1458 is best for their network (they run most of it) and TalkTalk another big ISP in fact suggests 1432, which I am on so it has just got me wondering if I should probably channge it to that. I best do some testing!
Message 198 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@macinmac: actually I am not sure changing the interface mtu there has any effect - after some reading I am inclined to think its set (along with the mru, which the web interface sets the same) during the LCP stage of the PPP connection. Therefor you can change these two nvram params pppoa_mru pppoa_mtu and kill/restart ppp, it should use these values establishing the connection. Off the top of my head I cant remember what command (some special broadcom/netgear one) restarts the ppp, I think it was in sbin, possibly 'restart_all_processes', dont have time to fiddle right now, if you get stuck post and I will have a proper look another day.
Message 199 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

@richud
thanks again
Message 200 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7