Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware with built in Torrent Client

xmd5a
Aspirant

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

1.Can latest firmware be flashed on the top of previous firmware? Will backed up from web interface settings work after reflashing?
2.How can I monitor network traffic from command line in this firmware?
Message 201 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

1. I flashed on top of the prior Richud release with no trouble, all settings preserved. Ran backup of settings just to make sure it works. No need to reset router and restore prior settings when this firmware was flashed.
2. Can't answer... I would guess that it would work the same as before.
Message 202 of 1,478
kones
Aspirant

Your work here is awesome stumbled across it looking for custom firmware for my modem. But to my disappointment it seems I have a v2 modem. Been looking everywhere for custom firmware for it and it seems no one is working on it. I know others have asked but how much work is involved in creating custom firmware for the v2. Just basic I'm only really looking for the transmission service (with webgui). Anything else would be a bonus. I know the v2 has less ram and less flash.. But it also uses the dual core properly. I know the firmware is completely different to the firmware for the v1 that your working on.
Message 203 of 1,478
macinmac
Aspirant

Thanks for the answers.

@richud
My provider told me to use MTU to 1492, but as I said, I have no problems with my net connection, not even one. It was an option, that's why I asked. I really don't want to bother with other things, all I want is to have this router optimised for internet exactly as you made it's firmware and not Netgear team.
Strong, no connection drops, no wifi problems, nothing! It is a perfect router now.

Thank you.
Message 204 of 1,478
gatto012
Aspirant

After Last update net work only with dhcp enabled

With statics ip, can't resolve dns name. ..
Message 205 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

Thanks for every ones thanks 🙂

@kones: it would be fairly easy for someone to create a modified V2 firmware, it is a lot more cleanly put together, easier to work with than this v1 is. [I actually bought a v2 on eBay but ended up with a V1 as the seller used the wrong pic!]
@macinmac: hmm, you can change both those values with param set ,param save, reboot - for the two things mentioned before if you want to try it as the webui wont let you change them.
@gatto012: afraid that is by design, DNSmasq now services both dhcp & dns so disabling dhcp will disable both. My reasoning was if you are disabling dhcp and thus setting static addresses on your devices I assumed you would be setting static dns servers too. I guess I could have set alternate configs to have it still do dns but it was just more work / complication / testing time I didn't have the inclination to do (sorry). Incidentally disabling dhcp (and so dns) servers will still let transmission run and resolve trackers as it flips back to using the standard resolv.conf file on the router that is auto populated.
So you will either need to leave dhcp on, maybe with just a small range, or set dns servers manually. Please note dnsmasq will pretty much always give you the same IP by default anyway as it bases it on the MAC, so even using address reservation probably isn't necessary any more to get effectively static addresses.
Message 206 of 1,478
macinmac
Aspirant

I did like this:

~ # param set mtu 1492
~ # param save
~ # reboot-

In the router I still see 1458. Did I change it but the router doesn't show it?
Thank you.
Message 207 of 1,478
macinmac
Aspirant

Nevermind, I got it with ifconfig.
Thank you.
Message 208 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@minimac

you want to do this;

param set pppoa_mru=1492
param set pppoa_mtu=1492
param save
reboot

ifconfig will then show that value on restart (it uses nvram values), ignore what web UI says its wrong)
Message 209 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

Hi - thank you very much for this firmware.

I'm wondering if it's possible the next time you build it for you to give more fine grain control (eg in 1dB steps) to the Advanced ADSL SNR settings. I need to drop my SNR by 2dB and the choice is 0 or 3. If I go for 3dB it is unstable at night. Or perhaps just allow us to type in a percentage.

Thanks
Peter
Message 210 of 1,478
marco_182
Aspirant

Hello Richud, nice to see you updating your beautiful work.

I retried the transmission service with your latest firmware and an ext4 formatted hard-drive and it works a treat.

I have a question: Is it possible to add a printer service like in the DGND3700v2?
Or you have already integrated it?

Thank you!
Message 211 of 1,478
regenade
Aspirant

Just wanted to say Big Thanks to richud for the awesome firmware. I have been using transmission and its been running non stop to download big torrents w/o any issues.

@richud Just needed a short help regarding DNS Re-mapping. As most of us know the Chromecast has a hard coded Google DNS set in the device to Google DNS. Now I need to modify the iptables of the netgear router to forward the Google DNS to Unotelly/Unblock-us DNS servers.

I got the iptables commands from xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435579) as below but they are showing error as below :

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.186.233
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.143.40

DGND3700 v1 Telnet Response:
iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (d you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

So I would need some help from richud or other owners if its possible to forward the DNS somehow in our routers.
Message 212 of 1,478
regenade
Aspirant

OK Just saw one more peculiar thing with the DGND3700 v1, I got a Intel mini PCI-E 7260 Dual Band AC adpater for my Asus laptop today and I was perplexed when I saw that I got connected to the 5Ghz AP of the Netgear at only 54 Mbps. Looks like if I disable security I am set to full 300 Mbps.

Same issue has been discussed here as well :

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=73448&page=2

Any chance we can have a fix for it richud. I guess the Netgear is using TKIP for 5Ghz mode and hence limited to 54 Mbps. Can we force it to use WPA2 AES all the time somehow ?
I feel like I have wasted my 30$ for this new adapter as 5Ghz is so useless now 😞
Message 213 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I hadn't looked, but I'm also seeing this. I have the 5G in the router set to AES, 300Mbps and channel 149. When I connect to this network from my wife's laptop it shows TKIP @ 54Mbps. I also saw this in the .17NA firmware like I stated in the above mentioned thread.
Message 214 of 1,478
whskerp
Aspirant

w3wilkes wrote:
I hadn't looked, but I'm also seeing this. I have the 5G in the router set to AES, 300Mbps and channel 149. When I connect to this network from my wife's laptop it shows TKIP @ 54Mbps. I also saw this in the .17NA firmware like I stated in the above mentioned thread.

Yes, I'm seeing similar. WPA2-AES at 5GHz is showing up in my scanner as WPA2-TKIP. If you set WPA+WPA2 I can see WPA2-AES though, and can get the speed tp up 300Mbps double-channel. It complains but seems to work.

Peter
Message 215 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@whskerp: not quite that straight forward as that, its basically setting the 'SNR margin as the Q4 number' which is equated to a dB figure (view the pages frame source to see.) If you want (snr) something in between you can alter the value of nvram parameter "adsl_value", then do a param save - it will then stay unless you edit anything else on the adsl settings page which will overwrite it. @marco: cheers 🙂 I guess I could add p910nd if that is any use? I think the kernel bits for printer support are already enabled. @renegade, the V1 uses broadcoms propriety ACOS thing instead of iptables. I think the nearest you are going to get is blocking its outgoing dns queries with route, e.g. [where 192.168.0.123 is on your lan subnet but not in use] route add 8.8.8.8 gw 192.168.0.123 dev br0 route add 8.8.4.4 gw 192.168.0.123 dev br0 I am not sure of what use that would be though, does it then default to using the dhcp supplied ones if it can't connect to those? Afraid all the wireless stuff is included binary files so cant do anything about it, except possibly swap them (kernel module perhaps?) from a previous/beta firmware if they are known to work? (I personally disabled the 5Ghz and just using 2.4Ghz as range better)
Message 216 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I can confirm that setting security to WPA-TKIP + WPA2-AES will allow the AES connection at the higher than 54Kbps rates, Thanks @whskerp.

@richud, Just FYI. The WPA2-AES worked correctly in the .12NA firmware.

Just curious. On the 5Ghz band for channels 149 and up (I believe in both the UK and US) the is a substantial increase in allowed radio power. Does anyone know if the 5Ghz radio cranks up the power when set to region US and a 149 or higher channel?
Message 217 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

minor update - have printer daemon working (@marco_182) , as in so much as prints a test page to a HP P1005 from win7 ok (although it didn't work trying to print to it from Ubuntu), I have a few minor things to adjust regarding the SNR tweaking for @whskerp so hopefully may upload release in next few days.
Message 218 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

xmas edition firmware 😛

https://mega.co.nz/#!cUQnGRJI!YTzIiT7_Wyd3fRWxdfXTu17pX6dAKrdND0gSwmywrR0

Only two small changes in this one;

@marco_182 : has p910nd non-spooling printer daemon started when a usb printer hotplugs. Set printer up as Appsocket/HP Jetdirect on port 9100.
@whskerp: Changed it to 10% incremental Target SNR Margin adjustments from www gui so you should have plenty of choice. (The adjustments are actually altering the % change against the 'set' target SNR margin, rather than any dB settings - that number is just a rough guide)

Merry Christmas to everyone 🙂
Message 219 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Thanks! And a Merry Christmas to you too!
Message 220 of 1,478
Malpd
Aspirant

Great job as allways 😄

Happy holidays to you all
Message 221 of 1,478
Malpd
Aspirant

just one question :
i was looking thorugh the logs and noticed the dates are not correct
transimission log : Jan 1 00:00:23
automatic log : 03/01/01 00:00:31
but i couldent find any option to set the date in the router

does it auto update at some point or i need to feed it via telnet ?
Message 222 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

the router (as with most non-pc devices) has no battery backed up clock, so when it fires up it starts from unix time 0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time, when it gets an internet connection it can get the current time from a timeserver and it will suddenly jump to then.
Message 223 of 1,478
ffxx68
Aspirant

Hi Richud, good job!

I think I have a V1, so I'd like to try your firmware out. Mostly to improve USB drive access performance, which is relatively bad at present. I guess, by reading your posts, it has to do with the CPU-intensive NTSF handling.

At home we have both Win and Ubuntu PCs connected to the router, so I'd like to have both ext3 and NTSF sharing.

Does your firmware allow multiple partitions to co-exist, and be accessed, on the same USB drive?

If it is ext3 only, can you suggest some way to share that on Win 7 PCs?

thanks
Fabio
Message 224 of 1,478
Conan12345
Aspirant

Hello guys, as long as u know I can use this modded version of firmware in my Italian DGND3700 V1? Just ask cause when I try to download firmware from official webpage I see two version, one for North America Users and one for all the other.

Thank you in advance for reply.

Happy Holiday to everybody!
Message 225 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7