Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New owner of a DGND3700 - A few questions?

leamingtonspace
Aspirant

New owner of a DGND3700 - A few questions?

Hi.

I've just registered here after picking up a DGND3700 yesterday, having replaced a DG834PN that was on its last legs.

Set-up wasn't too difficult. I needed to upgrade the firmware to recognise my connection as ADSL2+ but it seems fine now. I've got a few issues that I could do with some help on though:

1. I've turned off my 5GHz in the 'wireless settings' but the blue light is still lit. Is this correct? It's the same with 2.4GHz...green light stays lit. When I turn off wireless with the button on the front of the unit however, the 5 and 2.4GHz lights both go out?

2. I've got a 'Pure One Flow' internet radio. It worked with my DG834PN. The DGND3700 is a different story though. It scans and finds the network, but will not connect. I'm entering the correct key etc. I've even tried doing it all manually but no joy. I tried it again with the DG834PN and it works with that?

3. I can't seem to download updates for AVG Free? The program says 'checking for new updates' but just sticks on that page?

I hope some of you guys may be able to help with my issues.

Thanks alot in advance for any help you can offer.
Message 1 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

...oh, I forgot to say, even though my 'Pure One Flow' doesn't work, all my other wireless devices do:)
Message 2 of 18
lgp1985
Novice

2. Your radio shoud have problems handling WPA2 (AES), you can try enabling TKIP or WEP, this may reduce the max speed achieved on the router, due to the technology of old encription system.

3. try changing the DNS on Windows or the router to 8.8.8.8 (googles public DNS) i've got this similar problem once and the new DNS solved the problem.

about the leds i cannot help, because i'm stucked with firmware v1.0.0.5
Message 3 of 18
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If you upgraded to the .17 firmware I think there's a problem when you specify WPA2-PSK(AES). I found it actually would be TKIP and only connect at 54Mbps. Backed off to the .12 firmware and the DGND3700 wireless seems better behaved.
Message 4 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

Thanks so much 'w3wilkes' and 'lgp1985' for your responses. I am on the .17 firmware as this firmware allows me to enable ADSL2+.

So, I changed the security to 'WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)' from just 'WPA2-PSK (AES)' and now my radio works:) Thank you.

Regarding AVG, I already use the Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS:confused:

With the LED's, how do your lights behave regardless of firmware?

I also wondered, the 'WPS (Push 'N' Connect)' button at the top of the router, should that be lit when you have enabled 'WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)' using the check boxes in the router interface, or only when you actually use WPS?

Thanks;)
Message 5 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

Should have read "So, I changed the security to 'WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)' from just 'WPA2-PSK (AES)' and set it to 54mbps"

:rolleyes:
Message 6 of 18
theTechman05
Aspirant

leamingtonspaceman wrote:

I also wondered, the 'WPS (Push 'N' Connect)' button at the top of the router, should that be lit when you have enabled 'WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)' using the check boxes in the router interface, or only when you actually use WPS?

Thanks;)

Only when you use it (setting up a connection). After that the light should go off .
Message 7 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

theTechman05 wrote:
Only when you use it (setting up a connection). After that the light should go off .

Thank you for taking the time out to answer that for me...much appreciated:)

Can anyone advise on the wireless lights? On my previous Netgear, if I turned off wireless in the router settings, the wireless light went out. With my 3700 the 2.4 and 5GHz lights stay on. They only go off if I turn off wireless using the button on the front of the router.

Thanks.
Message 8 of 18
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Can't answer the question, but was wondering if you have access to inSSIDer on a laptop? If so you could check to see if the laptop can see your SSID's. If so, then not only are the lights still on, but so are the wireless radios.
Message 9 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

w3wilkes wrote:
Can't answer the question, but was wondering if you have access to inSSIDer on a laptop? If so you could check to see if the laptop can see your SSID's. If so, then not only are the lights still on, but so are the wireless radios.

The wireless is off because none of my wireless devices connect...and none pick up the SSID's, so it is off but the lights are still on.

All I need to answer this question is for someone to go into their router set-up, switch off the wireless, and see if the lights on the router stay on.

If you can help...it'd be greatly appreciated.
Message 10 of 18
Aspirant

Just switched off the 2.4 and 5 GHz in turn and the associated green and blue indicators remained on. Check on laptop (which normally connects by wireless) confirmed that the signals were in fact switched off as expected.
Message 11 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

32110 wrote:
Just switched off the 2.4 and 5 GHz in turn and the associated green and blue indicators remained on. Check on laptop (which normally connects by wireless) confirmed that the signals were in fact switched off as expected.

Hey...thanks for that...I really do appreciate you taking the time out to try that and post your findings.

It was just one of those little things that was 'bugging' me somewhat...but now I know it's normal behaviour.

You're a star:)

Many thanks.
Message 12 of 18
lgonzalezj
Aspirant

Normal behavior? Not in my router.

When I switch radios off, the lights are switched off as well a couple of seconds after. This should be the normal behavior, shouldn't it?

Regards.
Message 13 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

lgonzalezj wrote:
Normal behavior? Not in my router.

When I switch radios off, the lights are switched off as well a couple of seconds after. This should be the normal behavior, shouldn't it?

Regards.

Is that if you switch the wireless off in the router set-up or by using the button on the front? Mine go off when I use the button but not when I turn off in the router set-up.

It does seem odd though that the lights would stay on regardless of which method you use to disable wireless?

Doesn't make any difference with the lights being on or off to me as I know that the wireless is actually off. Just wondered how it was behaving for other users and if it was normal. Maybe it differs on different firmware?
Message 14 of 18
lgonzalezj
Aspirant

This feature works as expected in both ways, using the front button and with set-up. If I switch it on, the light goes on, and the SSID gets visible.

My fw is 1.0.0.17.

Regards.
Message 15 of 18
Aspirant

Just had another look following post by lgonzalezj. I did my original test in 'Setup', 'Wireless Settings', 'Enable this wireless network' tickbox. However have just tried the 'Enable Wireless Router Radio' in the 'Advanced', 'Wireless Settings' and the indicators do go out when setting is un-ticked.
Message 16 of 18
lgonzalezj
Aspirant

Yes, that's the key. Setup->Wireless Settings->Enable this wireless network just enables that SSID (you can enable up to four for each band), but does nothing to the radio signal.

The other option activates and deactivates the radio signal.
Message 17 of 18
leamingtonspace
Aspirant

32110 wrote:
Just had another look following post by lgonzalezj. I did my original test in 'Setup', 'Wireless Settings', 'Enable this wireless network' tickbox. However have just tried the 'Enable Wireless Router Radio' in the 'Advanced', 'Wireless Settings' and the indicators do go out when setting is un-ticked.

I tried this and yes...same here:)

Thanks guys...appreciated.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7