Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New update bricked my DGND3700v2 router

swaraj
Novice

New update bricked my DGND3700v2 router

Hi,
I tried to upgrade my router's firmware to the latest 1.1.00.20 version yesterday through the admin GUI by connecting my laptop to the router through a LAN cable. The process seemed to have completed successfully and restarted my router but then it never worked since then.
Now when I manually restart the router, the only thing I see is a solid red power light.

I have already tried all the solutions mentioned across the net including uploading the firmware through TFTP with no results. I cannot connect to my router even after assigning a static IP through network settings. The pinging simply times out.

I have already raised a ticket with Netgear support and haven't had any update since morning. I would hope that they might help as it happened while upgrading the firmware through a preferred way and is not my mistake.

Thanks in advance and any help would be highly appreciated!

Message 1 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds like you have bricked the router .

If unit is still under warranty I would try get unit replaced. 🙂
Message 2 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Got exactly the same problem while updating FW from v1.1.00.23 to v1.1.00.24. And nothing helps to fix it too...

Message 3 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Nomen 

If you have already tried factory resets and still cant connect to the gui while using a ethernet cable then i would say to contact support because it may be bricked.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 18
GOL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly what happened to me today! Red light no reset possible. This update killed it! 

Message 5 of 18
wpotter1950
Tutor

What I find most worrying about this chain is that there is no response at all from Netgear - nor from any of the complainants after they had contacted Netgear Support. Is there a dark secret here or is it that the complainents were incompetent and when this was realised they were too embarrassed to apologise? Or something in between? For the benefit of others like me who are now afraid to update the firmware some kind of guidance would be appreciated.

Message 6 of 18
ChrisW75
Aspirant

this firmware update has just given me a red light too, i cant factory reset, has anyone found a solution and does netgear take responsabilty and replace or are we expected to go out and buy a new one because of there update

Message 7 of 18
HunterKiller
Guide

I may have a fix, if your 3700v2 is showing a constant RED light then try the following, courtesy of a fellow forum user from whirlpool forums (https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2300410).

YOU MUST USE A WIRED CONNECTION AND NOT WIFI

I did mine via a Netgear gigabit switch but im sure it can be done if you were to connect the ethernet cable direct from the 3700v2 to your PC ethernet port.

Make sure that the ethernet cable is the only one plugged into the 3700v2 along with the power cable and thats it.

Go to your internet settings "open network and sharing center/change adaptor settings/properties/internet Protocal Version 4 (TCPIPv4)" (click on it then go to) "properties/use the following IP address

IP Address - 192.168.0.10

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 ( Im pretty sure its this)

Click OK then go to your web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 and screen should pop up saying install new firmware (make sure you download the latest firmware file for your router onto your PC) then upload the firmware and click OK and it should install it.

Once it installed it should either boot into the GUI for the router or you will need to do it manually by typing in the IP for the router in your browser.

If it fails to upload follow the link into the whirlpool forums I posted above and there is more indepth info about it.

NOTE: Once that is successful make sure to revert your /internet Protocal Version 4 (TCPIPv4) is back to default so your able to access the internet.

Message 8 of 18
HunterKiller
Guide

Ive been bumping my head since MAY 2015 doing everything possible to try and fix it because thats when I did the firmware update via the router GUI updater when it failed but all this time I had the IP numbers backwards (due to some NETGEAR help stating the number IP should be 192.168.1.1 as per instructions) but as soon as I did the 192.168.0.1 it worked.

Message 9 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

DarrenM, when it bricked, I was trying all kinds of reboot/factory resetting, firmware restoring via tftp2 tool, etc. Then I contacted Netgear support and guess what answer did I get?

Based on the product registration, your device is no longer eligible for free assistance from a support expert. However, I want to make sure you are aware there are other options available for you to utilize such as:

• Self-help web articles http://support.netgear.com/product/DGND3700v2
• NETGEAR Forums http://forum1.netgear.com

Just great...

HunterKiller, THANK YOU!

I followed your instructions and it works now! After updating firmware I had to hard reboot it to see that it starts without that constant red LED light.

Message 10 of 18
richud
Apprentice

FYI If anyone happens upon this thread,  if you brick it beyond this working you can fix it via serial. The below link should be essentiall same for the v2.

http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_CFE_Boot_Loader_TFTP_De-Brick

("The serial port is located at the Jumper J302 on the board", on the v2, I dont have one to confirm this though.)

Message 11 of 18
HunterKiller
Guide

Man that's engineering stuff right there,its easier to just buy a new one.
Message 12 of 18
Simba84
Tutor

hi hunter. could you tell me which user you were talking about on the forum?

also... when i connect the bricked modem/router to the pc with the ethernet cable do i get internet from another router via wifi?
Message 13 of 18
Simba84
Tutor

scrap that. i reread and i downloaded it. i had a quick try earlier but i couldnt get into my router screen. ill try this again later and hope it goes well
Message 14 of 18
HunterKiller
Guide

I'm sorry I'm not sure how else to help you, its been almost a year since I did it, I can't remember exactly how I did it.

Maybe try rereading my walkthrough along with the other link I posted to another helpful thread and hopefully you can get it to work.

Sorry again mate its just so long ago, in saying that the modem is still working since that day I got it back working again.
Message 15 of 18
HunterKiller
Guide

Best of luck.
Message 16 of 18
Simba84
Tutor

hey just tried it again now!! i know last time it screwed up cause i realised i didnt re enable my lan port...

i verify that it works!
Message 17 of 18
Simba84
Tutor

thanks by the way!!
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation