Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk X8 D8500 not working with BT Infinity

McWoodcock
Aspirant

NightHawk X8 D8500 not working with BT Infinity

I have purchased a Nighthawk X8 D8500 Modem Router to replace my (3rd) unreliable BT Homehub. 

I was able to go through the initial setup, enter the standard BT Broadband password, connect to the Wifi network with my device, but it couldn't access the internet. 

I did a search on this forum and I found the statement that "BT Infinity ISP uses IPv6-PD IPv6 configuration our devices do not support IPv6-PD configuration and we do not have any plans to support this on D6400,D7000, D7800 or D8500 in future." published on other posts.

Is this really the case?  If so, why is BT Infinity included in the description on Amazon and there are so many users that say it works fine with BT?

I am a bit of network newbie - All help appreciated

Many thanks

Message 1 of 10

Re: NightHawk X8 D8500 not working with BT Infinity

You do not need IPv6 implemented to connect to BT Infinity. That is just a nice tweak that some people lust after,  albeit one that doesn't mean much at the moment. IPv6 is not widely used at the moment.

You say that you entered "the standard BT Broadband password".

BT Infinity does not need a password. You just use your BT email address as the username. Leave the password blank.

Most people find that the Netgear wizard happily connects them to Infinity. It did here on my D6400. It even automatically negotiated the transition from ADSL to DSL.

Message 2 of 10
McWoodcock
Aspirant

OK - Thank you for that clarification. 

I will try again when I get home tonight.  Can I access the Netgear wizard from an iPad or do I need a PC connected?

Message 3 of 10

If you can connect to the thing with the iPad, it should work.

I don't do this myself because an iPad uses wifi and setting up over wifi is problematic because you may be doing things that disrupt the wifi.

There is a manual for the D8500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Does the iPad support Netgear's Up App? If that works with the D8500 it might ease the pain.

Message 4 of 10
McWoodcock
Aspirant

Michael - Thank you so much for your help

I’ve found and downloaded the Netgear UP app on my iPad.  I will try again to get everything connected when I get home tonight.

If I don’t setup over WiFi, is my only other option to do so vi Ethernet?

Mike

Message 5 of 10

McWoodcock wrote:

If I don’t setup over WiFi, is my only other option to do so vi Ethernet?

There's no other way to get into the router, so it has to be wired or wifi.

Go with wifi if that's easiest, but if the sky falls in you may have to resort to wired.

Message 6 of 10
NeilMcRae
Aspirant

please don't say that IPV6 isn't important, its super important, Netgear you need to get IPV6-PD done please, its been a standard since 2004! rfc3769

Neil.

(Chief Architect BT).

Message 7 of 10

@NeilMcRae wrote:

please don't say that IPV6 isn't important

Who said that?

its super important

Why?

Netgear you need to get IPV6-PD done please

Some of us have been saying that for a year or so. It might be better coming from you.

Out of interest, what prompted BT to use that implementation of IPv6?

PS If you really want to talk about IPv6, you would do better joining in on one of the various earlier conversations about IPv6 itself rather than joining in on the end of a conversation from someone who had trouble connecting to BT. (Did we get that bit right?) That, as we all know, is not related to Netgear's support for IPv6.

Message 8 of 10
McWoodcock
Aspirant

Hi - OP Here - I’m still working on getting connected, apparently there is an issue with my broadband connection

I move to a new address next week so I’ve decided to wait until I get there and start from scratch.

I will post on here how I get on. Thank you to those that have responded with assistance for connecting 👍🏼

Mike
Message 9 of 10

I move to a new address next week so I’ve decided to wait until I get there and start from scratch.

Good move. Reset the modem to factory state and then follow the quickstart guide. See above link.

Worry about IPv6 when the world has moved over to it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7