Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900

pyrobabeUK
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900

I have had wiIfi issues ever since I bought the new router. 
My laptop and TV have had to be hard wired.
I have security cameras that would not connect to the router, that I have to piggyback my next door neighbour's wifi code to use.
I have just bought a Blink mini camera and it will not link to my wifi.
I do not get my wifi name come up as an available option, just Netgear Guest.
What do I do.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC1900

AX1900 is not a model #. R#### would be.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What WiFi settings are you using? 

Security wifi mode are you using? 

Message 2 of 10
pyrobabeUK
Aspirant

Thank you for your response, but how do I find the information you are asking for?

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Review the "How to Find Your Model Number?" section on the web page here.

FW version can be found on the routers web page 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. 

Message 4 of 10
pyrobabeUK
Aspirant

I know how to find the model number, etc, but I know nothing about firmware or my wifi settings...

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Model: D7000v2

Message 5 of 10

@pyrobabeUK wrote:

I do not get my wifi name come up as an available option, just Netgear Guest.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

Check the sections in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings and Control the WiFi Radios.

Ensure that the thing is set up to broadcast the SSIDs for your wifi. Oh, and look at the wifi LEDs for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz on the front. Are they both on?

I have security cameras that would not connect to the router

That could be down to the well know issue with IoT devices.

Sounds like yet another badly written IoT toy.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. The setup app should be able to connect to 5 GHz wifi and still talk to things on 2.4 GHz.

Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your router's wifi set up (see below)
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people.

Check the section in the manual Enable or Disable the WiFi Radios. The exact working may differ for your router.

Message 7 of 10
pyrobabeUK
Aspirant

How do I find the password for Netgear Guest?

Message 8 of 10
pyrobabeUK
Aspirant

Part of the problem is that my router defaults to the 5G option, but the cameras can only use the 2.4ghz signal, which comes up as Netgear-Guest and my main Netgear password is not the same as the guest password.
The router login won't let me in on my laptop and on the ifone it says the router is not supported.
I am not tech savvy and the wording you are using has just got me more confused.
My security cameras are not toys, and what is IoT?

Message 9 of 10

@pyrobabeUK wrote:

Part of the problem is that my router defaults to the 5G option

I'm  not sure what you mean by "my router defaults to the 5G option". That is not how routers work. Unless you have told it not to, your D7000v2 modem/router will broadcast both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi.

If you can't see both of them, then look at the receivers, not the transmitter. (Their passwords are on the label that also reveals the model number.)

The router login won't let me in on my laptop and on the ifone it says the router is not supported.

What message does the laptop show?And what briwser are youn using? Have you tred another one?

Sadly, "won't let me in" doesn't help us to diagnose what is really going on.

What is on your iPhone that says "the router is not supported"? The Nighthawk app?

The D7000v2 modem/router, from 2017, was built to support the genie app. It takes new firmware to get it to work with the Nighthawk app. Sadly, Netgear ditched that some time ago and hasn't come up with an alternative. So you are left with using the browser on a PC, or on a mobile device, to control it. Both should work.

My security cameras are not toys, and what is IoT?

All Internet of Things (IoT) things are "toys".

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7