Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Jovian
Star

Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Hi, this is the first time posting anything on here and also the first time having any problems with my router. I have looked through other discussions and none seem to help my particular situation.
So just recently I've noticed that (randomly) the router kicks all WiFi devices that are connected to the 2.4Ghz WiFi. Everything that's on the 5Ghz side stays connected and the internet stays on. My phone automatically switches to 5Ghz when this happens. If I try to reconnect to the 2.4Ghz WiFi it won't connect but the SSID is discoverable. The only way I can get it to work again is if I do a quick reboot and it seems to connect after that but only to randomly stop working again. I have no idea what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Message 1 of 595

Any chance that local interference is causing this?

Netgear likes to set the 2.4 GHz channel selection to auto. Some people find it better to tell it to use a fixed channel.

There is a manual for the D7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 96.

Do you have the latest firmware on your modem/router?

Message 2 of 595
Jovian
Star

Hi there, thank you for replying. 

I have the latest software. Always have updated it when needed. I haven't had any problems before so I don't think it's interference. I haven't introduced any new tech near the router. I reboot and both 2.4 and 5Ghz signals work fine for about an hour or so and then just dies for whatever reason.

Message 3 of 595

What about dealing with the issue of auto channel selection?

See my first reply?

Message 4 of 595
DJBlaze91
Initiate

Hi, I have the same issue. For about 3 weeks I have been told that our WiFi is down. My devices all connect via the 5ghz so didn't see the issue. 2.4 is broadcasting but will not allow a connection. Have updated the firmware and factory reset, fixed to static channels. It seems to work for a while but then drops out. I haven't rolled the firmware back yet, which is my next step. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I need my chromecasts to work over Christmas.
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 5 of 595
DJBlaze91
Initiate

Just to add to it. My iPhone sees both 2.4 a 5. When I try to connect to 2.4 it says wrong password even though both 2.4 and 5 have the same password?
Message 6 of 595

@DJBlaze91 wrote:
Just to add to it. My iPhone sees both 2.4 a 5. When I try to connect to 2.4 it says wrong password even though both 2.4 and 5 have the same password?

Have you told the iPhone to forget the connection and started from scratch?

Have you been into the D7000's controls to reset the password?

Remember, when you set to factory defaults it wiped out any passwords that you set.

Like you, I set the same password for all bands. Much easier to remember.

Message 7 of 595
audreythedog
Initiate

Same issue here.  No new devices added to network, and suddenly every wifi device in the house drops in and out of the network constantly.  Causing havoc with phones, tablets, amazon echo, connected light switches etc that have all been working fine for over a year on same network settings.  

Have restarted router multiple times.  Wired connection works fine.    + some devices seem to maintain a wifi connection for longer than others (or are more tolerant of dropouts), but all still drop in and out.

Message 8 of 595
Cooper842
Aspirant

Got the exact same problem with my Nighthawk. Unchanged password, 5G works fine, 2.4G suddenly rejects the password. I too am on latest firmware and have rebooted.

Come on Netgear - this product is looking flaky.
Message 9 of 595

@Cooper842 wrote:
I too am on latest firmware and have rebooted.

A factory reset is more thorough in erasing old settings and bugs in the firmware that may be causing issues. This has worked for some people with this issue, although there is not guarantee that it will here.

Message 10 of 595
jimbaxter
Guide

Hi, I have also been suffering the same issue for the last few weeks.

Initially I could reconnect but in the last 2 days it has got steadily worse and now I need to reboot to allow connections to occur.

The 5GHZ connections and Wired connections are not affected. I have tried a factory reset and manual setup with just enough changes to get the network running and nothing was improved.

I also tried modifying the Preamble to short and disabling the 5GHZ but no differences.

I have disabled the Guest network in case this was an issue.

The failures occur on Android Phones and tablets and Linux machines.

I get these failures in my Linux Laptop (MAC is address hidden):

[ 6058.603972] wlp3s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
[ 6058.606187] wlp3s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)
[ 6058.707571] wlp3s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 2/3)
[ 6058.812413] wlp3s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 3/3)
[ 6058.915594] wlp3s0: authentication with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx timed out

On my Android devices they just state "Wifi Connection failure"

Message 11 of 595
Jovian
Star

Okay so it seems i'm not the only one with this issue. I'm now wondering if there is anyone with this router that isn't having this problem. I'm also wondering what are my options... Do I just scrap my £140 router? Which isn't even a year old. 

Message 12 of 595
jimbaxter
Guide

I tried flashing with 1.0.1.48 and 1.0.1.44 a with a full factory reset but still the same issue with the 2.4GHz. I think I will return my D7000 under warrenty.

Message 13 of 595
thunderstorm654
Aspirant

Got the exact same issues with my D7000. Tried numerous factory resets and no joy. It's screwing up the 2.4ghz multiple times a day and have to reboot. It seems it can only cope with one device on it, any more and it drops out randomly. Unfortunately ours is out of warranty so can't even return, still shocking that these issues are affecting so many!
Message 14 of 595

Download and instrall the previous firmware and see if that helps.

Message 15 of 595
herba71
Aspirant

I live in Greece and i have the same problem.I bought D7000 from Amazon.it before 2 days. This router is totally crap.My Wifi drops me out,my modem has bufferbloat,and i cant play games becouse of lag.I put again my Asus N17U and i can use internet without any problem.Now i must return this crap back to amazon.From Netgear i see no support.I spent 164 euros for this CRAP.Its ridiculous situation.
Message 16 of 595
IAK
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here. I live in Italy and I bought D7000 from Amazon.it, too. The problem started 3 days ago.
Message 17 of 595
jimbaxter
Guide

I spoke to Netgear support and they told me to test these fixes first:

Step 1: https://kb.netgear.com/23783 
Step 2: https://kb.netgear.com/30231/How-to-change-your-NETGEAR-router-wireless-mode 

I have set my router to up 600Mbps.

My channel was already set to 12 manually as this is a channel no one else uses, I checked it with the Android app "Wifi Analyzer" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB but just to be sure I set it to another free channel "9".

I also upgarded to 1.0.1.51 again and after 2.5 hours it is still working which had not occurred previously. I will update after more testing.

Message 18 of 595
jimbaxter
Guide

In my previous post I meant I update to 1.0.1.50 not 1.0.1.51

The links to change the channel did not fix the issue, it failed after 3 hours, it was probably fixed because I had rebooted it.

I phoned them again and after trying to sell me a $50 support package (which is insulting when their product is at fault), they sent me a link to try removing the password. This did not resolve the issue either.

I have phoned them a 3rd time and they are now swapping it under warrenty. Let's hope it works.

Message 19 of 595

@jimbaxter wrote:

....they sent me a link to try removing the password. This did not resolve the issue either.

Which password and where does it enter into the picture?

Message 20 of 595
DKenward
Star

I also had issues with 2.4Ghz connection since yesterday. Today I did a manufacturer reset to see if starting as though this was unboxed helped and it has not. Only worked for 8 hours. I input the settings manually so it can't be assumed that a backup config file is the issue. I will be taking to Twitter as I can't see Netgear addressing this within this closed group. My D7000 has the latest firmware v1.0.1.50_1.0.1. All products that connect on the 2.4Ghz have issues which points to the router. Resolution required A.S.A.P please.

Message 21 of 595
IAK
Tutor
Tutor

I tried to set the wifi channel on AUTO. It seems to work for now. Will update

Message 22 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

I had the same issue begin (was noticed) about 4 days ago - it appears from posts that this may be date related in the FW.

Since then, I have changed the wifi channel (manually), set it to Auto, added/removed 20/40Mhz coexistence and changed the speed from 600Mbit/sec to 289Mbit/sec and back again.

I've also completely reset the router and manually re-instated configs (not from a backup file). Short of an air interface analyser and/or packet capture to actually diagnose the issue, my analysis would be that there's a problem with the 2.4GHz authentication module (WiFi). My rationale for that is that devices initially authenticate after a reset, then failing to re-connect after a short period of time, possiby corresponding to the WPA2-PSK re-authentication window.

Local devices complain that they can't connect to the network, even though the signal is strong because some reset hasn't happened in the router key table that allows known devices to re-authenticate.

What's completely bizarre about this is that 5GHz works fine!

Given the number of (recent) incidents on here, it looks like there is a broad spectrum issue with the D7000 that needs a firmware fix pushing out pronto!

Message 23 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

Have just tweeted requesting help and or updates, linked to this thread. Re-tweets may also push this along!

Message 24 of 595
IAK
Tutor
Tutor

Set Channel to AUTO works for 1 day... The problem persists

Message 25 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7