Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

SuperSonicBoom
Aspirant

I've been receiving the same issues; Alexa and all the smart devices been going crazy for the last fortnight or so.

Devices connected to the 5Ghz channel are working okay. Updated to the latest firmware, factory reset, manually set WIFI channels, even checked with a WIFI scanner to ensure the channel is free, no joy.

I work and configure routers day in day out with my job, Billion, Linksys, Cisco enterprise routers you name it.

My work has let me borrow a ASUS DSL-AT88U, as I can't depend on the Nighthawk, haven't had a single problem on the 2.4Ghz frequency with the ASUS router.

I'm still in hardware warranty until Jul-2018, hoping not to go through the apparent delay tactics from Netgear support. I will let you know how I get on….

Message 76 of 595
Doug_B
Aspirant

I've been having the same issue with my D7000 - 5Ghz is fine, 2.4GHz gone keeps refusing to connect after a while over the past week or so. I've moved most of my devices over to 5Ghz.

Interestingly the two I still had on 2.4GHz were my two chromecasts (original version) - I powered them both off last night and 2.4GHz was still connecting fine when I got home from work tonight.

Any other chromecast users out there with this D7000 issue?
Message 77 of 595
i-s
Tutor
Tutor

Firmware 50

We have also recently started having similar issues. 

Our network is mostly wired - smart TV, network streaming, satellite box, PCs, printer - all are ethernet. The only devices on wireless are:
2 samsung android Tablets
2 Android phones
Honeywell Evohome Controller
Podpoint EV charger

The issues started on the 10th of December, and has primarily (but not exclusively) affected the 2.4GHz devices. 

Resetting the router gives a temporary respite of a few hours. I tried changing 2.4GHz settings  from auto to fixed channel, moving the channel, limiting the bandwidth, etc. Nothing helped. 

The sheer number of people suddenly reporting the same issues starting at the same time can not possibly be coincidence or hardware failure. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 78 of 595
cr00ksie
Aspirant

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'll be keeping an eye on this board in case someone finds a solution. I updated to the latest firmware and no change.
Message 79 of 595
Jon81
Star

There is mod asking for PM's of logs in the other thread. I advise you all to get in contact. Maybe someone is listening.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-Nighthawk-2-4ghz-connection-issues/m-p/145...

Message 80 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues/USB Readyshare Issues

Same here all of a sudden after a year of stable 2.4GHZ the only thing that works is the 5 GHZ band, my USB 3.0 readyshare for my printer has also died. Before I found this thread I was to go buy a new D7000, but with what I have seen the issue is Netgears firmware security updates. I Netgear doesn't resolve soon I for one will never buy a Netgear product again. Has anyone else lost the Readyshare 3.0 support for their printer? I guess I have to start shopping for a new Modem Router and I guarantee you it will not be a Netgear Modem-Router

Message 81 of 595

@cr00ksie wrote:
I updated to the latest firmware and no change.

Remember, given the history of this bug, the first thing to do when you apply new firmware is to reset the router to factory defaults.

Maybe you did this. You don't say.

Message 82 of 595
Jon81
Star

@michaelkenward wrote:

@cr00ksie wrote:
I updated to the latest firmware and no change.

Remember, given the history of this bug, the first thing to do when you apply new firmware is to reset the router to factory defaults.

Maybe you did this. You don't say.

Can't speak for cr00ksie but i've done many full factory default resets along with trying every firmware and the bug persists. Have given up on Netgear given how widespread (and game breaking) this bug is and the fact it's still present on replacement units. I won't be buying Netgear again. The R7000 and D7000 have been broken for nearly 2 weeks now with no response. 

Message 83 of 595
massig
Guide

Same issue... On latest firmware (v52) and have to physically reboot to get the 2.4 to connect. Otherwise get an authentication error every time. Reboot via web interface is not sufficient. I have to turn power off!
Message 84 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

G'day,

I installed V52 and it has been working perfectly eversince? So I must be one of the minority of lucky ones.

I note that they have issued V54 on the website (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.1.54)

This is not offered by the automatic update process.

If V52 doesn't work for you, and your D7000 is a brick, then there is no harm in trying V54. It might end up being a V54 brick, but there is a chance this could fix it.

I must confess that since V52 is working for me, I'll defer V54 installation. "if it works, don't fix it!"

Good luck

Message 85 of 595
Jon81
Star

@nscolli wrote:

G'day,

I installed V52 and it has been working perfectly eversince? So I must be one of the minority of lucky ones.

I note that they have issued V54 on the website (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.1.54)

If V52 doesn't work for you, and your D7000 is a brick, then there is no harm in trying V54. It might end up being a V54 brick, but there is a chance this could fix it.

I must confess that since V52 is working for me, I'll defer V54 installation. "if it works, don't fix it!"

Good luck

It will likely die at somepoint for you. Everyone elses has. Loading up 54 now. Thanks for posting the link!

Message 86 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

Jon81, I'd be interested to hear how V54 went for you. I'm new to this community process, so don't know the etiquette yet! Cheers,nscolli

Message 87 of 595
Jon81
Star

@nscolli wrote:

Jon81, I'd be interested to hear how V54 went for you. I'm new to this community process, so don't know the etiquette yet! Cheers,nscolli

I'll let you know. The build date on 54 was 15/12 which doesn't give me much hope that this is the firmware that fixes it. Bare in mind i made it 48 hrs on 52 before it started bugging out again.

Message 88 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@Jon81 wrote:

@nscolli wrote:

I'll let you know. The build date on 54 was 15/12 which doesn't give me much hope that this is the firmware that fixes it. Bare in mind i made it 48 hrs on 52 before it started bugging out again.

I downloaded and installed V52 18 Dec in the evening and it's now 22 Dec in the evening (here in AU), is four days a record? LOL

Message 89 of 595

@nscolli wrote:

This can take a few days to happen.

Consider it a bonus. You get the chance to feel the pain/reap the benefits before Netgear throws it at the great unwashed.

Message 90 of 595
Jon81
Star

8 hrs in on firmware 54. It's not fixed i just lost my 2.4g Wifi.

GET THIS FIXED NETGEAR ITS BEEN 2 WEEKS.

Message 91 of 595

I know this sounds like a cracked record, but did you reset your modem after the flash?

One recent victim reported that it fixed their issues.

As to two weeks, you must be late to the party. It is more like two months for some people.

Message 92 of 595
Jon81
Star

I did. Completely and totally fed up with it now. Mainly with the lack of acknowledgment.
Message 93 of 595
DuteMan
Star

Wow so neither 52 or 54 seem to have fixed the issue.  I haven't tried either because i'm down to rebooting once a day.  LOL.  Like that should be accepted.  I did get a PM from a Netgear person and they are supposed to contact me but so far nothing.  Its been two days.  I'll stop holding my breath.

Thinking of trying 54.  Anyone have solid luck with it?

Message 94 of 595
massig
Guide

Spoke to Netgear.
They gave me a bunch of basic troubleshooting steps.
Upgraded to v54 today... Lasted 10 hours and some devices have started to get kicked out on the 2.4Ghz. My android tablet and my alarm system
Netgear told me to wait a week before asking for a replacement router. I am still in warranty.
Looks for now v54 has not fixed! Disgraceful!
Message 95 of 595
Jon81
Star

Minus one customer for Netgear here. Gave up and bought a Google Wifi. Which i urge everyone else todo given that Netgear seem to be happy to treat us like mugs.

Message 96 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Heya--

I have the same device (D7000v2) same problems. I’ve tried two identical devices with the exact same problem. Netgear is sending a third, which I expect will have the same problem.

I believe the problem may be caused by HEAT.

I'm currently testing the device with a laptop fan blowing underneath it and it seems to be more stable.

I noticed that the device becomes increasingly unstable the longer it runs, and especially at the end of the day. The device feels warm to the touch. If I reboot the device when it is warm, it fails immediately. If I let the device sit to cool down for an hour, then it becomes stable again.

Can somebody test and confirm. My hunch is this is a bad chipset that is failing due to heat.

Message 97 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Quick follow-up on my hunch that this is a heat issue. 

The problem of wifi dropoffs occurs with the R7000, D7000, and D7000v2. I think they used bad wifi radio chips or something like that.

I'm guessing this is why they haven't been able to find a firmware fix despite multiple tries for each of these devices.

Message 98 of 595
DuteMan
Star

It could be heat but mine is not very warm at all.  I upgraded firmware to 54 last night and it failed in the last hour.  Looking at my logs I see ZERO in there.  Lot's of DoS Attack lines, but I think that is normal.  I have not heard from Netgear even though I was contacted a few days ago.  I guess they went home for the holidays. 

For the record I have a D7000 purchased in May 2016, that has been stable until 2 weeks ago.  I did regularly reboot it every month or so but it has been working well.  It is interesting that those of you who purchased more recently or even got a replacement under warranty are having the same issue.  Obvioulsly a manufacturing defece.

I hope people are hammering them on social media over the lack of response.  I'm sure they don't want to publicly acknowledge it so they do get a class action lawsuit.  I bet they don't even use their own product in their homes if its this unstable.

Pretty sad Netgear for what was once a solid company.

Message 99 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

Absolutely cracking up in this household over Xmas. New D7000 purchased in August this year fine till 2 weeks ago and same 2.4 issues as the rest. Followed this thread and updated firmware to v54 followed by factory reset. Within 24 hours devices being kicked off and only 5ghz working. It's  going back to PCW for a refund after the hols and a different make purchased. Can't put up with restarts at least once a day.

Message 100 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7