Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Graphicomp
Aspirant

Let me quote magicgeek... 

I've been experiencing a similar problem on "normal" computers. The heat compound degradation can cause a bad cooling of a chipset... 

Furtermore, a "hot" chip can work unexpectly... I could tell you several examples... all related to "normal" computer, not to net devices but it sounds very similar.

At the moment, everything is ok from my side. 121hrs OK... with "everything" active, guest, 2.4 and 5, access control... and on.

This is my "initial" configuration. I have other problem to fix now... the VPN connection that does't work as expected from an Android device... 

Message 176 of 595
richardw001
Guide

Given the severity of this (and that people seem to be ditching their D7000 routers) - perhaps we should change the title of the thread to something more apt.

If anyone from netgear is reading the thread - can they post an update ?

Message 177 of 595
loftyendgame
Guide

fwiw, i rebooted the router 5 days ago. 2.4GHz main network died fairly quickly, but i had enabled the guest network and that is still available. who knows, may work for you.

i'm running .50

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 178 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

Netgear support enabled my 2.4 guest network and asked me to try it the next time it failed. I only had to wait an hour!  Couldn't connect to Guest either then SSIDs of 2.4 networks vanished from network list and a reboot brought them back. Since then it has failed a further twice this evening, much worse than ever and I have just done another factory reset to see if it makes any difference! Just seems worse after Netgear support had access.

Message 179 of 595
zizomat
Aspirant

Rif.: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Same issue for me on 2.4Ghz

Problems started on firmware V1.0.1.50

The upgrade to V1.0.1.54 didn't solve.

Message 180 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@mdgm wrote:

Please see I'm having problems with the 2.4 GHz band on my Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL modem router (D7000)...

Well Guys!?!? I went to the URL copied the email address (netgearDSLsupport@netgear.com). Sent my email as suggested/requested and received the following "undeliverable" from postmaster@ntgr.onmicrosoft.com:

Your message to netgearDSLsupport@netgear.com couldn't be delivered.
The group netgearDSLsupport only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list.
  Office 365 netgearDSLsupport
Sender   Action Required

Sender not allowed

How to Fix It
It appears you aren't in the same organization as the group (or a sub-group) you're sending to or your email address isn't on the group's allowed senders list. Ask the owner of the group to grant you permission to send to it, and then try again. If the group belongs to a different organization than yours, contact the organization's customer service department for assistance. If the group is in your organization and you don't know who the group owner is, you can find it by doing the following in either Outlook on the web or Outlook:
  • Open your Sent folder and select the original message.
  • If you're using Outlook on the web, select the group name located on the To or CC line. If you're using Outlook, double-click the group name located on the To or CC line.
  • In Outlook on the web, from the pop-up dialog box, choose Owner. In Outlook, choose Contact. The owner's name is listed under Owner.
The owner of the group may have intentionally chosen to restrict who can send messages to it, and they may not want to adjust the existing restriction. In this case, you'll have to contact the group members by some other means, such as sending an email message to their individual email addresses or contacting them by phone.

Was this helpful? Send feedback to Microsoft.

More Info for Email Admins
Status code: 550 5.7.133

This error occurs when the distribution group, security group, or Office 365 group is configured to accept messages only from authenticated senders (senders in the same organization or those added to the group's allowed senders list).

To fix the issue, the recipient's email admin or the group owner must add the sender's email address to the group's allowed senders list or change the group's delivery management setting to accept messages from senders inside and outside of the organization.

Usually this issue can only be fixed by the recipient's email admin or the group owner.

For more information and steps to fix this error, see Fix email delivery issues for error code 5.7.133 in Office 365.

Original Message Details
Created Date: 1/3/2018 2:39:42 AM
Sender Address: <REMOVED By Moderator>
Recipient Address: netgearDSLsupport@netgear.com
Subject: I'm having problems with the 2.4 GHz band on my Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL modem router (D7000); what should I do?

Error Details
Reported error: 550 5.7.133 RESOLVER.RST.SenderNotAuthenticatedForGroup; authentication required; Delivery restriction check failed because the sender was not authenticated when sending to this group
DSN generated by: BY1PR0601MB1095.namprd06.prod.outlook.com

Message Hops
HOP TIME (UTC) FROM TO

What do I (we) do now???

Message 181 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

I got the email that as well that  I sent to NETGEAR support (DSLsupport@netgear.com) as well. So what's up with that. It appears that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

What next????

Message 182 of 595
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @GlennD and @nscolli,

Thank you for your prompt response! I'll check into this immediately and post an update once the issue is resolved.

Best Regards,

ChristineT

Message 183 of 595
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @GlennD and @nscolli,

I have received confirmation that the email should now be working as expected.  I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Best Regards,

ChristineT

Message 184 of 595
chrisgtl
Aspirant

We have a breakthrough!

This is how I fixed my D7000 over Christmas.

Step 1) Create contained fire outside

Step 2) Place D7000 carefuly on the fire

Step 3) Smile

Step 4) Go out and buy something that works like the Archer VR2800

Step 5) Enjoy your £200 working router

Seriously, I was uttelrly fed up with my D7000 over Christmas I boxed it up and sold it to some poor bugger on eBay.

I need to get out of this horrible habit I have of keep retunring to Netgear for my networking solutions. I just see the brand and always think it is the best available on my budget - no more Netgear! This is the second time my £200 Netgear router has given me no end of problems.

Once bitten, twice shy (silly me)............three times an Archer lady. Love the VR2800 - it blows the D7000 out of the water in every aspect. Saying that, two cups and piece of string would be better than the D7000 right now.

Good luck Netgear owners. Hope 'they' can be bothered sometime soon.   

Message 185 of 595
Barfin
Aspirant

New member here, with the same problem. I’ve responded to Netgear via their email address, with no response. So hopefully they give us a fix soon, or I can see a lot of D7000 routers going cheap on eBay. Pushing out a firmware patch that buggy, would make Apple proud. Maybe they’re shutting down WiFi channels to make the router more “stable”. Or because they think we’ll go buy a new one... like people do with phones.
Message 186 of 595
yalson
Star

@yalson wrote:

Really poor response from Netgear all round relating to this. I have a new ASUS router hopefully arriving at some point this week from my ISP, but it will be only a N box and I fear it won't support the amount of devices here at home.

Time of year means that I can not afford to replace with an AC unit myself.

Might setup the N unit as a 2.4GHz AP, with the D7000 covering the 5GHz band.

Proactive switch off/on of the 2.4GHz band hasn't worked 😞

Disabling the 5GHz doesn't fix the issue either. In fact, it makes it worse, as nothing can connect to the network during the periods that the 2.4GHz band is still playing up.

Have had to bite the bullet and order a TP Link AC unit at a £150 last night so that the network becomes stable for next week, as it is very important for my daughter's remote learning. Could have done without the cost at this time of year, but their needs come first.

Message 187 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

G'day All,

I know we are all extremely p...ed off with the lack of response from Netgear.

However I report that right now the engineers are "TeamViewing" control of my PC and debugging my lack of 2.4. I don't understand all the screens that are wizzing by, but let's hope that they get a solution.

Message 188 of 595
ryanoakes
Aspirant

Come on Netgear.  This has been going on for almost a month now.  Let's fix this with a firmware update!

Message 189 of 595
DKenward
Star

My email to Netgear.

I would advise all of us to do the same as we are being treated as fools.

===

Sent: 03 January 2018 12:46
To: 'netgearDSLsupport@netgear.com' <netgearDSLsupport@netgear.com>
Subject: D7000 v1 still having issues with the 2.4Ghz authentication error

Hi,

I am writing to you as per your article https://kb.netgear.com/000053225/I-m-having-problems-with-the-2-4-GHz-band-on-my-Nighthawk-AC1900-Wi...

I have a D7000 which is still having issues with the 2.4Ghz authentication error.

My past case history so you can see what has been done:

Called Netgear on 14 December at 13:51

Call ref: xxxxxxxx

Ended call at 14:35 = 45m on phone with support

15 December issue happened again so took the D7000 v1 to the store where I purchased it 11 months prior and they gave me a new D7000 v1.

Called Netgear on 18 December at 15:20 as the new router had the same issue

Call ref: xxxxxxxx

Ended call at 16:56 = 1hr 36m on phone with SHAN from support

Now 03 January 2018 and the authentication issue still persists!

Appears to be that if the 2.4Ghz has a glitch all devices currently connected will not be able to re-connect unless the router is rebooted but new devices can connect with no problem.

In any case the issue re-occurs after 3 day maximum or much sooner which means even the newer connected devices will no longer be able to connect unless the router is rebooted.

It is not acceptable to simply have a sticking plaster solution such as tell people to reboot or turn off / lower speed of options due to people relying on these routers not just for general use but also home security and smart home appliances.

Clearly a firmware issue and we need a fix ASAP as the router is not currently fit for the purpose it has been sold and I am sure if not sorted soon the Trading Standards will be investigating why you still have these on shelves in stores plus I am sure BBC Watchdog will be interested in taking up this story https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact.

Please treat these issues as priority and not post this article as a PR stunt as without being followed up it will be treated as such and action by all affected (yes this email will be posted for other community members to see) will be taken accordingly with the appropriate people mentioned as there is power in a larger vocal group.

I look forward to an update in 15 days from the date of this email which I feel is long enough given how long you have ignored the severity after which I will be given no option but to take this further as you are in breach of the sales of goods act.

Kind Regards.

D Kenward

===

Message 190 of 595
DuteMan
Star

I have been contacted via PM on this board by Christine and Matt Chang at Netgear via e-mail.  I have not contacted Christine yet due to work.  Matt is asking to install teamviewer(www.teamviewer.com) to help chase the issue.  I see one other poster has this installed.  Anyone else?  Any luck or updates?  I assume this is legit but it does seem a bit late for Netgear to engage.

My 2.4ghz continues to drop at least once a day.  Got up this morning and it was down again.  Which is nice when your security system relies on it so you can sleep at night.  

I plan to reach out to them later today or tomorrow.

Message 191 of 595

@DuteMan wrote:

I assume this is legit but it does seem a bit late for Netgear to engage.

Netgear, like the rest of the world, is coming back to life after the festive season and a 10-day shutdown.

Part of the problem was that they threw the latest updates at everyone just before the holiday. Techies seem to have a habit of mistiming release. Witness the habit of Friday unleashing their goodies at the end of their working week. Bit like PR people who also like to bury bad news with Friday releases.

Message 192 of 595
yalson
Star

First post in this thread was end of November and think the issue was much earlier than that based on my experience and that of others. I think both .52 and .54 releases were probably rushed attempts prior to Christmas to resolve this.

If Netgear's current actions are a PR lead one, then it will backfire massively if the issue takes much longer to resolve or isn't resolved at all.

I think the lack of communication about this was born out of a concern related to blame on Netgear's part and they would have wanted to quickly and quietly fixed it, hence releases .52 and .54 in rapid succession. After the holiday period, things have become apparent that this is much bigger and a stealth mode approach is no longer possible.
Message 193 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@DuteMan wrote:

I have been contacted via PM on this board by Christine and Matt Chang at Netgear via e-mail.  I have not contacted Christine yet due to work.  Matt is asking to install teamviewer(www.teamviewer.com) to help chase the issue.  I see one other poster has this installed.  Anyone else?  Any luck or updates?  I assume this is legit but it does seem a bit late for Netgear to engage.

My 2.4ghz continues to drop at least once a day.  Got up this morning and it was down again.  Which is nice when your security system relies on it so you can sleep at night.  

Teamviewer is a very common piece of software used for remote control of a PC, it will allow Netgear to remotely connect and control your PC during which you can see exaclty what they are doing and only someone you've given the ID and password to can connect to your PC.  

It would be useful to know what information they're actually looking for as the router settings aren't that complicated and users could easily screenshot any of the router settings or capture logs to send to Netgear. 

Message 194 of 595

@yalson wrote:
First post in this thread was end of November and think the issue was much earlier than that based on my experience and that of others.

As your first message was three days ago, you may not be up on the history.

The first time I saw any serious traffic on this wifi issue was with the R7000. That is a different animal, a router rather than a modem/router.

The .52 release you mention appeared on 12/14/2017, that's 14th December in real dates.

The one before that, .50, appeared on 07/25/2017, that 25th July, a good five months before the firmware that seems to have caused these problems.

The timeline is certainly puzzling. The first reports appeared, as you said, at the end of November. But that was two weeks before the .52 release.

Perhaps they were also confused by the difference between R7000 and D7000. At least one message calls the D7000 a router. It isn't.

Heaven only knows why there were these reports of problems before the allegedly dodgy firmware. Unfortunately, the early messages did not mention firmware versions or recent updates.

That might lead some people to dismiss any link between the firmware version and the wifi issues. Perhaps that is why Netgear is having problems fixing the holes.

All very puzzling.

Message 195 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@DuteMan wrote:

Hello All,

Putting aside all our frustrations, conspiracy theories, thoughts on poorly managed PR and badly tested and rushed firmware releases, I would like to say that once they finally lifted their game my involvement with Netgear engineering has been positive albeit that there is not a solution yet.

I volunteered to be involved, downloaded and installed TeamViewer and they took over my PC for two hours and investigated/debugged. The also installed PuTTY software (see Wikipedia)

My 35 year career was in Information Technology and so I still have a little understanding of how it might be for their staff under pressure at the coal face.

I watched the screens and attempted to understand what they were doing. They can drill much deeper into the details of code, data fields and buffers than Netgear Genie management console that we have access to, and that is what I saw them doing. I also attempted 2.4 device connections for them during this session. During all this my 5G and Ethernet devices still operated and had internet access.

Amongst the many things they did that I knew not about, they zeroed counters, let it run for a short period and then looked at the counters and seemed to have focused in on the 2.4 receive buffer as being an issue. At one stage they had five engineers having access to my PC.

Today (AU time) I have agreed to a further TeamView session for the DSL engineer.

So they are on the job, late though it may be.

I am hope full that with our help this can be solved.

Although this sounds conciliatory I have no affilliation with Netgear, I just have a lot of their network gear, all of which work faultlessly except for the D7000v1.

Message 196 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I seem to have the only one of these that is relatively stable. I've only had one wifi crash in 8 days. The last two days have been stable.

Firmware: 38. I was afraid to upgrade at all. And mine is pretty stable. 

Has anybody tried downgrading to the original firmware? It might be worth a try.

(I'm thinking that most people who get a unit like mine have the original firmware... it's only geeks like us on this thread that actually update their firmware. lol)

Message 197 of 595
droman
Admin

Latest Update on D7000 as 5pm (Pacific time) January 3, 2018

We are continuing to work thought the difficulties some users are experiencing with the dropping of the 2.4GHz band on the D7000.  First, thanks to those in the community that have responded to our request for help to troubleshoot the issue.  We’ve gotten a great response and our support/engineering teams are working through your responses and have reached out to a few users already.  With your cooperation we believe we now have a few credible directions to follow up on and are continuing evaluate the issues.

Should any other users believe they have pertinent information to help resolve the issue please contact us at netgeardslsupport@netgear.com.

We will continue to provide updates on this conversation thread as new information becomes available.  Thank you

Dave

Message 198 of 595
richardw001
Guide

My 2.4 WiFi seems to have become more stable - what I've done is plug out a Chromecast completely and also reserved an address for Samsung phone that would have been new to my network - around the time this started happening - running on the latest firmware - will let you guys know if it stays stable
Message 199 of 595
Neezy
Aspirant

I have rolled all the way back to firmware version 14.

I am now able to connect my laptop (which only picks up the 2.4ghz). I haven't seen a wifi drop out since rolling back (3 hrs ago).

Have held off connecting Chromecast and my home automation devices - I isolated these over the last few weeks so I know they are not the issue.

Message 200 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7