Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

IT9MBZ
Aspirant

@richardw001 wrote:
My 2.4 WiFi seems to have become more stable - what I've done is plug out a Chromecast completely and also reserved an address for Samsung phone that would have been new to my network - around the time this started happening - running on the latest firmware - will let you guys know if it stays stable

Hi to all.

I think that the chromecast maybe can be part of the problem.
I seen that the chromecast often not appears in the list of the connettable devices for trasmitting the videos from any android device.

When the 2.4GHz is unconnectable, I found an SSID that have the name I assigned to the cromecast plus .b, and the signal is very strong close to chromecast.
Of course, it desappear when turn off the chromecast.

Now I leaved the chromecast detached, and are more then 3 days that I haven't any drop out from 2.4GHz WiFi.
Coincidence?

How many of us have a chromecast connected to 2.4GHz WiFi?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 201 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

Same Chromecast behaviour apparent here.
Message 202 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ignore this, I'm not sure it wasn't me reading the logs incorrectly.

Message 203 of 595
killscreen
Guide

@IT9MBZ wrote:

When the 2.4GHz is unconnectable, I found an SSID that have the name I assigned to the cromecast plus .b, and the signal is very strong close to chromecast.

That's because when chromecast is not connected to you're router's wifi, it broadcasts its own wifi ssid so you can set it up via the google home app. 

Message 204 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

Just an thought from all the recent comments about Chromcast and other equipment that broadcast on the 2.4 GHZ band. Last summer I had a conflict with a TP-Link AC-1200 dual band extender that caused interference with the D7000 on the 2.4GHZ band but it cleared when I removed it from the network. The 2.4GHz band then ran fine until the firmware upgrade that I performed in late November 2007 when I upgraded to Version 1.0.1.48. My Panasonic wireless phone system also broadcasts on 2.4 GHZ band. Just a thought, could the security firmware update look at all 2.4GHZ devices on the network and cause the D7000 to wreak havoc with the D7000 2.4GHZ band radio. Could any competing 2.4GHZ radio device on the network, ie Chromcast, my Panasonic 2.4GHZ wireless phone , my NVIDIA - SHIELD™ TV 16 GB Streaming Media Player with a dual band connectivity. be part of the problem?

Just maybe when the engineers at Netgear did their security update with the firmware create a conflict with other 2.4 GHZ devices on your network and that in turn causes the 2.4GHZ band radio not to work. Has anyone else experienced a loss of the USB printer support as my HP8600 printer that was connected to the network via the USB connection  also failed at the same time as the D7000 2.4GHZ band radio.

Just a thought Netgear. 

When are you going to weigh in on your progress, you know all of us folks who are experiencing the 2.4GHZ band issue would really like  reports as to when this nightmare will finally be over, ie no 2.4ghz band connections for the older non dual band devices and no wireless printing, no USB printing,  etc.

Message 205 of 595
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We understand that some customers may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their D7000 router. NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this. We are continuing to investigate this to determine root cause and provide a solution. However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause. To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

What to expect if you choose to work with NETGEAR may require some or all of the following:

• NETGEAR will need to load software on your computer (Teamviewer)
  • The process could potentially than an hour or more
  • You will need to be in front of your computer for the duration of the testing
  • You will need to provide personal information such as name, phone number, etc.
  • Current firmware version
  • Other firmware versions tested
  • Hardware version
  • Detailed problem description
  • Can the issue be reproduced
  • Error messages or screenshots
  • Was the unit replaced
  • Network diagram/topology
  • Configuration files
  • Configuration’s LAN IP, username, and password
  • List of wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz band
  • Description of Environment (e.g. – distances, floors, brick walls, etc.)
  • How often the disconnects happen
  • Have you tried connecting devices at a closer range (i.e 6 feet)?
  • Do all the devices on the band disconnect at the same time
  • Are you having disconnects on the 5GHz band
  • What wireless channels have you tried
  • Netstumbler/inSSIDer (iStumbler, if Mac OS X) screenshot(s) (MUST be included in all escalations): (file name) Screenshots should show all channels)
  • Packet captures (Wireshark) included: (file name) (should capture when issue happens)
  • When did issue start to occur? After 6months? After a firmware upgrade? Etc.
  • Is the device running hot?
  • Have you tried resetting the unit to factory default?
  • Do you have chromecast? if so what version are you running?

If you are still interested in working with us, please email netgeardslsupport@netgear.com as we'll need to get your personal contact information. If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to helping resolve these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community.

Message 206 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

This latest from Netgear inspires no confidence that there will be a fix for this issue any time soon. Sorry for those out of warranty.
Message 207 of 595
yalson
Star

Well, I am now up and running on a TP Link unit and will wait for a fix for this issue before selling my D7000 on eBay. Good luck everyone and goodbye Netgear.

Message 208 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

I've tried replying to the netgeardslsupport email address with all the details (topology map, etc) you requested, but your spambot blocks the mail.

Please add me you your whitelist or review the spam cache for the info I have sent you.

Netgear, you really aren't making this easy are you!
Message 209 of 595
yalson
Star

As some further information to those who have cast doubts on since when I have been seeing 2.4GHz issues on my D7000, my ISP made a network change on the 26/09/17 and I updated the firmware showing on the router at the same time. Schoolboy error, I know. Reports of "Internet" issues by family members started directly after and I looked into device and endpoint causes for quite a while. I only had time to investigate this in greater depth leading up to Christmas, due to being very busy with work and exam revision. Upon further investigation, the common failure point turned out to be the 2.4GHz only devices and I started following this community at that point and was then able to start contributing within this/these thread(s), send emails to Netgear and Tweet.

Message 210 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

FWIW, I have emailed Netgear through the supplied email address and had a fairly quick response.They sent me a load of questions which I answered fully and I have also granted them remote access to my router (through DDNS rather than TeamViewer). As my router is long out of warranty I am keen to get this resolved, although I am lucky in that I have a Draytek AP902 serving all my wireless needs at the moment. If I hear any news, I will let you know.

Message 211 of 595
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 212 of 595
richardw001
Guide

Okay my experiment with the chromecast plugged out just delayed the inevitable - connection to 2.4 wifi devices gone again.

Message 213 of 595
droman
Admin

Latest Update as of 5pm (Pacific time) January 4, 2018

The latest update we have on the D7000 is that based on information we've obtained from users, we have been able to recreate similar behavior in our lab.  We are continuing to investigate this behavior with our partners and hope to find the root cause soon.  We also want the thank the community user that have generously allowed us to connect with them and spend time with us to observe the behavior in their environments.  We’ll continue to update this conversation thread as new information becomes available.

Thanks, Dave

Message 214 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

The engineers have just had their third session via TeamViewer in control of my PC.

I reckon this must be a real curly one to be so allusive. I will keep you informed if anything concrete comes to light.

Message 215 of 595
richardw001
Guide

Hi 

@droman wrote:

Latest Update as of 5pm (Pacific time) January 4, 2018

The latest update we have on the D7000 is that based on information we've obtained from users, we have been able to recreate similar behavior in our lab.  We are continuing to investigate this behavior with our partners and hope to find the root cause soon.  We also want the thank the community user that have generously allowed us to connect with them and spend time with us to observe the behavior in their environments.  We’ll continue to update this conversation thread as new information becomes available.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

I know you guys are probably busy - however - one question - if you can reproduce - can you indicate at this stage a firmware version where this does not occur - this would probably be a sufficient workaround for most people on the thread. 

Thanks 

Richard

Message 216 of 595

Just to add my name to the list of users suffering the 2.4 ghz issue. I’m also out of warranty but would like to keep this rather pricey modem.

i thought it was my google home mini causing the issue but have moved it to the 5g network and continue to suffer 2.4ghz lockout every 24-72 hours.

always resets with a power down/up so can’t be a heat issue as modem reboots successfully.

Message 217 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

Netgear have asked me to install and test a new firmware release (v1.0.1.57). Fingers crossed it resolves the issue. Will keep this page updated with the results.

Message 218 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

I also will add to list of affected users.

I'm in Australia.  Purchased in Dec 2015 from a B&M store.

Everything previously connected to 2.4 brings up connections errors incl "wrong password." 

The old printers I have are 2.4 connections and are also affected by the lack of connection.

Latest version installed. 

Message 219 of 595
Graphicomp
Aspirant

@Brum80 wrote:

Netgear have asked me to install and test a new firmware release (v1.0.1.57). Fingers crossed it resolves the issue. Will keep this page updated with the results.

Fringers crossed! Brum80, could you please ask Netgear to make this beta firmware available to whom "accepts" to risk to install it with no "warranty"?

Last couple of days I rebooted my D7000 almost each two hours... Smiley Sad

Thanks!

Cheers,

Danilo

Message 220 of 595
gobes
Aspirant

Hi all. I've been having a 2.4ghz issue for the last few weeks. Started initially with me noticing a problem where my PS4 would constantly fail to connect unless I restarted the router - have since found that none of my devices are able to connect to 2.4ghz without the router restart.

This thread  is pretty long now, but it sounds like this is now quite a common issue on the D7000 and Netgear  are workign on a fix. Is that right?

Message 221 of 595

@gobes wrote:

This thread  is pretty long now, but it sounds like this is now quite a common issue on the D7000 and Netgear  are workign on a fix. Is that right?

See above.

Message 222 of 595
richardw001
Guide

@Graphicomp wrote:

@Brum80 wrote:

Fringers crossed! Brum80, could you please ask Netgear to make this beta firmware available to whom "accepts" to risk to install it with no "warranty"?

Last couple of days I rebooted my D7000 almost each two hours... Smiley Sad

Thanks!

Cheers,

Danilo

Might be better to wait - 54 (last officially released) ->57 might mean 3rd time lucky - or it might mean we are a while away from getting a fix. 

Question to Netgear - is definitely fixable using firmware ? and if so can you indicate a stable one that users can revert to.

Message 223 of 595

I volunteered on a previous email to help and they have also sent me V57 to trial. So far so good.

The variable they have asked I monitor stays under 1000 has stayed firmly at zero and despite whole family logging on, so far so good, the network remains up.

despite the vitriol early in this thread I think it’s a pretty good response from Netgear over the holiday period.

Message 224 of 595
IT9MBZ
Aspirant

Damn it!
Back at home after three day out for work.
When I was out, I monitored the 2,4GHz WiFi by the OpenVPN, ad sure it's work becase my IPcams was reachebles.
When at home, I found that the 5GHz WiFi doesn't work!
On my Android phone, but also on my Android tablet, there wasn't the connection.
Looking at the WiFi status on the Android devices, I see the continuous retry to connect.

Now for me, the problem is on 5GHz band!

Message 225 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7