Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

johnmcl7
Apprentice

@IT9MBZ wrote:

Damn it!
Back at home after three day out for work.
When I was out, I monitored the 2,4GHz WiFi by the OpenVPN, ad sure it's work becase my IPcams was reachebles.
When at home, I found that the 5GHz WiFi doesn't work!
On my Android phone, but also on my Android tablet, there wasn't the connection.
Looking at the WiFi status on the Android devices, I see the continuous retry to connect.

Now for me, the problem is on 5GHz band!

Which firmware are you on?

Message 226 of 595
IT9MBZ
Aspirant

Now I have the V1.0.1.54_1.0.1

Previousy I had the V1.0.1.44_OPENVPN_TEST

A BETA release expecially made for an issue that I had with the OpenVPN when did use with my Android devices.

Message 227 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@IT9MBZ wrote:

Now I have the V1.0.1.54_1.0.1

Previousy I had the V1.0.1.44_OPENVPN_TEST

A BETA release expecially made for an issue that I had with the OpenVPN when did use with my Android devices.

Someone else a couple of pages back had a drop in the 5Ghz but I'm on 54 at the moment and haven't seen any 5Ghz issues myself thankfully, I do have 2.4Ghz completely disabled at the moment though as I found on 54 it was pretty much useless as it stopped working shortly after the router was restarted.

Message 228 of 595
droman
Admin

Latest Update on D7000 as of 5pm (Pacific time) January 5, 2018

The latest update for the D7000 is that we have provided to the users that are helping to debug a firmware version we are currently testing in engineering.  We want to run this testing over the weekend as many of our community users have identified that it can take an extended time to see the disconnects.  This is also why we are not widely distributing this firmware at this time as we don’t want to continue to frustrate users with firmware that is not fully tested.  We’ll provide an update as new information becomes available but most likely will not be until after the weekend testing.

Thanks, Dave

Message 229 of 595
majnz
Aspirant

same issues here just started happening about 1 month ago. My laptop and our android tv box fail to connect only thing that fixes it is turn off and on then they will connect till the next time. This happens daily. Would like to know how to fix this. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 230 of 595
richardw001
Guide

Has anyone rolled back successfully to a firmware version that is stable for 2-3 days ? If we are not going to get a fix until next week - it would be nice to have a work around ?
Message 231 of 595
loftyendgame
Guide

i think it's more random than that.

i installed .50 10 days ago. 2.4GHz main network died fairly quickly, but i had enabled the guest network and that is still available. i posted an update here about 5 days ago and very quickly someone with a similar setup said that needed a reboot after a few hours. 

fwiw, in the last few days my laptop has happily connected to the 2.4GHz. android devices can't see the main 2.4GHz at all but can connect to the guest 2.4GHz. at the moment i dare not touch the  router at all!

once you have hit the problem i don't think any published firmware version works properly. 

Message 232 of 595
richardw001
Guide

@loftyendgame wrote:

i installed .50 10 days ago. 2.4GHz main network died fairly quickly, but i had enabled the guest network and that is still available. i posted an update here about 5 days ago and very quickly someone with a similar setup said that needed a reboot after a few hours. 

fwiw, in the last few days my laptop has happily connected to the 2.4GHz. android devices can't see the main 2.4GHz at all but can connect to the guest 2.4GHz. at the moment i dare not touch the  router at all!

once you have hit the problem i don't think any published firmware version works properly. 

Yeah - my guest network is not connectable as well - so that isn't a general workaround - I was debating rolling back to 1.0.1.42 but maybe its pointless and I would be better swapping the netgear out.

Message 233 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@richardw001 wrote:

@loftyendgame wrote:

Yeah - my guest network is not connectable as well - so that isn't a general workaround - I was debating rolling back to 1.0.1.42 but maybe its pointless and I would be better swapping the netgear out.

A few people in this thread have tried rolling back to older firmware such as .38 and .48 but I don't think it's helped in either case.  

I was wary of switching to another router and potentially having other issues particularly when my D7000 works fine aside from the 2.4Ghz mode so I've temporarily set up another 2.4Ghz network and disabled it on the D7000 in the hope Netgear sort this.  If not, then I'll look in to getting a different router.

If you have an old cheap router you can set it up as a 2.4Ghz access point or you can pick something suitable up very cheap, you can get brand new 2.4Ghz routers here for under £20.  

Message 234 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

So over 24 hours have passed on version 57 firmware and it's been stable throughout. I did have an issue with my ip camera after installing the firmware so I rebooted the router and it hasn't skipped a beat since. I have to say that Matt Chang from Netgear support in Taiwan has been quick at answering my emails too. The counters I've been asked to monitor haven't moved off zero which is good news. Hopefully this will be the fix we've been waiting for.
Message 235 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@Brum80 wrote:
So over 24 hours have passed on version 57 firmware and it's been stable throughout. I did have an issue with my ip camera after installing the firmware so I rebooted the router and it hasn't skipped a beat since. I have to say that Matt Chang from Netgear support in Taiwan has been quick at answering my emails too. The counters I've been asked to monitor haven't moved off zero which is good news. Hopefully this will be the fix we've been waiting for.

@Good morning Brum80 and All @ AU time,

I, too, am running the trial V57 and also have had a good productive relationship with Matt Chang and his probably stressed and over worked engineers however I have not had the success you have so far had with V57.

The first run was with the PC's Ethernet LAN disabled and its 2.4 wireless enabled. It went for just over 15 hours with the PC and some laptops running and then 2.4 disconnected. I then attempted to enable the Ethernet which stuck on "Identifying... No Internet" which degenerated to "Unidentified network No Internet". The properites of the unidentified network only showed IPv6 addresses, no IPv4? So had to reboot D7000 to email the engineers for "What next?"

That reboot has lasted 8.5 hours so far with one PC 2.4 connected and several laptops being connected and disconnected as required for use. I am running a bit of repetitative code for them that lists a set of counters every 10 minutes.

A possible contributing factor to the first D7000 crash may have been that I was running an aged USB dual band wireless adapter for which only Win 8 drivers were available. I replaced this with a Win 10 capable dual band adapter for the current trial so will just have to wait and see how long 2.4 lasts this time.

Message 236 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

Further to my last report on testing of trial firmware V57.

It has now survived a bit over 12 hours.

I have added several 2.4 devices during the morning.

The 2.4 load now consists of one PC, three laptops, an android phone and a Netgear WN3500RP dual band WiFi range extender (connected to a HiFi, used to play MP3s from a DLNA network server).

2.4 is still up and operating!!!

I will report any news worthy events.

Message 237 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

Hi all.

I am also part of the 1.57 trial and, while 2.4 has been good, there have been a number of instantaneous dropouts that have affected streaming and consistent connection across Samsung and Chromecast devices. Basically, the device will drop off the nw and then reconnect almost instantly, interrupting both the stream and the control mechanism to the device from another WiFi device (phone/pc/tablet).

So, while the authentication issue seems to be resolved, there is not a consistency of connection that allows continuous use of things like Chromecast.

Were not cord cutters, but regularly do ~1Tb pm of gaming/downloads/streaming (legally!), So interruptions of this nature are notable as we rely mainly on IPTV.

Looking forward to the next code drop that fixes this!
Message 238 of 595

My experience so far of V57 is good.

i run PC , 2 x IPad , 2x IPhone and 2 x Samsung on 2.4. Google home mini on 5. Plus two home networks, one Netgear and one Logitech security cameras. Plus a Philips hue lighting set up.

after 48 hrs all remains up. If there have been drop outs I have not seen them. 

So far so good!

Message 239 of 595
IT9MBZ
Aspirant

Hi everyone.
Last news on my side.
This morning I found all the 2.4GHz dropped out. Yesterday evening I connected the Chromecast and leaves it connected.

It's curios note that sometimes is the 5GHz AP, and other times is the 2.4GHz AP that crash down.

Hope the new .57 release fix both bands.
Message 240 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

Hello All,

Nearly reached 23 hours on trial beta V57. All three laptops, the android phone and the WiFi extender are all still connected. The PC that Netgear installed software on has Ethernet and WiFi connection running with both connected. Not sure if it's V57, my PC or Windows 10 but I just noticed the PC's 2.4G Wifi had disconnected. I just clicked on "connect' and it connected so I guess that is "so far so good".

I'm not sure whetherr it has been discussed before on this thread but I'd be interested to know the country of those posting to give me an idea of the world wide distribution of D7000 and where the 2.4 problems are. I'm in Australia. Cheers.

Message 241 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

Unless Netgear have specifically requested both Ethernet and wi-fi enabled at the same time, having both the Ethernet and wi-fi enabled is a cause of disconnect problems. It is best to disable the Ethernet port if you are using the wi-fi.

G'day Case850,

Thank you for advising me of the disconnect problems of concurrent Ethernet and WiFi.

Netgear have not asked me to do it. However at an earlier 2.4 dropout during testing I could not connect to the D7000 to get the debug logs, had to reboot the D7000 and lost all the collected debug information. So I'm hoping that if I keep the Ethernet running (which window seems to use as a priority anyway, probably because it is faster) I'll be able to stay connected to the D7000 if the 2.4 drops out.

Message 242 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

#strayamate  (Australia).  Purchased from a retail store in Dec 2015.  Australian stock; not grey market

@nscolli wrote:

Hello All,

I'm not sure whetherr it has been discussed before on this thread but I'd be interested to know the country of those posting to give me an idea of the world wide distribution of D7000 and where the 2.4 problems are. I'm in Australia. Cheers.

Message 243 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

Hey nscolli,

This is exactly the issue I have seen with 1.57, where there has been an instantaneous drop and reconnect (there was no reconnect on previous FW versions that have exhibited this issue).

If anyone else has 1.57, can they attempt to recreate this by running a video stream (or similar) to an original Chromecast to see if they get a dropout like Ive seen.

I'm in the UK.
Message 244 of 595
Chrissyboy1
Tutor

Where can i get the beta firmware ?
Message 245 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

Questions for Netgear,
1. How long is the trial beta V57 testing going to last 
2. When will this community get a progress report of how the trial beta V57 is performing.

Bottom line, how close is Netgear to a permanent fix.

Message 246 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

My issues all appear to be resolved. New TP Link Archer VR900 up and running without issues for three days and D7000 returned under warranty to PC World for full refund. Bye Netgear!

Message 247 of 595
browntea
Star

Also having the same issue. Stumbled over this very helpful forum thread via google. Not easy to find via the Netgear forum search, even after I found it, struggled to refind it.
Confirm same issue - 2.4GHz wifi drops off periodically whilst 5Ghz stays operational. Started happening approx mid December 2017. V1.0.1.54_1.0.1 update doesn't resolve. Reboot via button or remote web GUI 5Ghz connection resolves for 12-24 hrs. Watching this thread with very great interest indeed.

Message 248 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Update: I'm still on v38. It works okay(ish). The radio is relatively stable, however the DSL is terrible. Before using this modem/router my DSLreports.com Speed Test was stable and consistent with 20+ mb/s download, and 750 kb/s upload. 

Take a look at the attached image. Terrible and unstable. We are having problems across all our devices.

Message 249 of 595
richardw001
Guide

Just an observation  - plugging out an original version chromecast has definitely improved/lengthed the amount of time it takes for my 2.4 wifi to implode.

I have quite a number of 2.4 only devices such as Wemo, Nest, etc. One possibility is that when these devices are disconnected they typically create their own open 2.4 Ggz wifi when they drop off the router. This in turn maybe is causing an knock on effect. due to interference. 

The other comment I would have is that earlier versions of the D7000 firmware ( 1.38 etc. )definitely had issues with streaming and online gaming over wifi on the 5Ghz channel - so I am reluctant to move back. 

Not sure if this helps anyone - however someone earlier in the thread offered some good advice -  to move some of the 2.4Ghz devices to a low end router for the moment  (which most  people will have kicking around)

Just based on the conversation/thread I suspect that most people in this thread have lots of devices connected to their D7000s 

Message 250 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7