Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

gobes
Aspirant

I've been running the 58 beta for a week or so now. In that time the 2.4ghz connection has not cut out, which is obviously an improvment. However I have noticed that when gaming on my PS4 (which is connected to the 2,4) it has experienced lag, which I had not had problems with before installing the 58 firmware beta - so I assume that even though the connection remains up the speed/signal must be dropping occossionally?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Message 426 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@gobes wrote:

I've been running the 58 beta for a week or so now. In that time the 2.4ghz connection has not cut out, which is obviously an improvment. However I have noticed that when gaming on my PS4 (which is connected to the 2,4) it has experienced lag, which I had not had problems with before installing the 58 firmware beta - so I assume that even though the connection remains up the speed/signal must be dropping occossionally?

Has anyone else noticed this?

There's a couple of people on the test firmware here that have reported drops on the wireless when streaming.

Message 427 of 595
browntea
Star

V58 trial update:

Been on the v58 trial since 10th Jan (13 days). Was solid for first week or so. But then started to see my android saying "reconnecting" to the wifi. Suspected that the internet connection has also been dropping off, but not confirmed till today. I've been conencted all day via ethernet cable and seen browser, email client and Netgear Genie complain about internet down, several times.

I still have no google android updates (the last current available to me is weeks old). Now I'm beginning to be sure v58 introduces internet drop outs and a 5Ghz variant to the 2.4GHz wifi unavailability. The good news is I haven't had to physically reset the router. It all comes back after several seconds. Not good though.

I'm now changing my log send to daily now (I'd had them hourly as a reset cleared the logs down) and will see if the logs corroborate or point to a particualr device.

Could Netgear please include in the Attached Devices tab in the Wifi panel - the actual wifi station id they are connected to - and the connection duration - to save me having to try to work this out from the logs?

If the logs could also give more than the MAC address that the IP has been given to - eg the device name (either or preferably both of the  DHCP name and or from the Access Control device name) this would also help immensely - thanks.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 428 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes regarding problems with major lag spikes and PS4. 

I've never had this problem with my DSL service before. Now using the D7000 it's often borderline unplayable. Huge lag spikes, and very unstable.

I'm still running v38, but I assume you are having the same problem as I am.

Anybody else having big lag spikes on PS4?

Message 429 of 595
richardw001
Guide

@Greg_k wrote:

Yes regarding problems with major lag spikes and PS4. 

I've never had this problem with my DSL service before. Now using the D7000 it's often borderline unplayable. Huge lag spikes, and very unstable.

I'm still running v38, but I assume you are having the same problem as I am.

Anybody else having big lag spikes on PS4?

Early firmware versions have this issue - (I know I had it with streaming and also xbox online gaming).  I would suggest trying to get one of the beta firmware's which don't have this issue from what I can see - and seem to be relatively stable in comparison with last officially released version.

Message 430 of 595
browntea
Star

Just started V62 trial (day 1). Netgear advised to ensure Android devices are on latest versions. As mine hadn't been updated automatically I wanted to force these. See below if you want to do this.

1) Chromecast update. Had to force a Chromecast update - as mine has been stuck on an older version - to get onto Chromecast (1st gen) – Firmware version 1.29.104827 (according to Latest Chromecast versions (as at 24/1/17)) by doing this: Use Powershell to force Chromecast update. Seemed to stick on Updating 0% but after 45mins could access via Google Home, even though screen stuck on 0%, rebooting Chromecast then booted clean and came up with latest version.

2) Updating Android phone Google Play Services. Phone had been stuck on an old play version and it handn't seen the advertised Google Play Service 11.9.74 beta or the immediately prior version from anything more recent than 2 or three versions ago in December. So subscribed to the beta and am now on Play Services 11.9.75, and it's also installed an updated Google Play Services for instant apps (2.10).

Will report back with updates.

Message 431 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Case850 ... PS4 lag spikes occur without Google Devices on the network. 

Another poster said to try the latest firmware beta since after 38 the lag spike issue was "resolved"?

Message 432 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

@browntea - great post with specifics on forcing/pushing android and chromecast/home updates. wrt Android, remember that you will be signing up for a beta, so it may cause challenges with some aspects of operation (it might not work, or it might crash!)

Also, be aware that, in addition to chromecast/home devices on your network, it may be that Android devices with google play services installed may also be part of the problem (hence the updates to google play services on these devices).

Don't forget that *any* Android device on the network (yours, your mum's, your dog's phone) may be part of the issue, so don't forget to make sure that the users of these devices are set to receive updates automatically.

Message 433 of 595
browntea
Star

@Case850 wrote:

... Thus if Android devices had not been updated for some time then they should not cause an MDNS packet storm. They may have other issues like IPv6 -separate issue.

...Goolge are NOT clear about which firmware release contains the MDNS patch across all their devices. There are also reports the patch is not working. There should really be a one page document from Google that spells out the exact products and related firmware versions contain the MDNS bug. Goolge like Netgear have not communicated clearly on this issue.

@Case850 Agreed that the consensus appears to be it all started late November. As my Android versions were dated *December*, this likely includes the bug as indications are that fixes are only being issued by Google after around 18th Jan. Hence my wishsing to accelerate my Android phone and Chromecast updates -  via a beta, as the public versions had not been received. Just as with the Netgear v62 or v58 beta, anyone not comfortable going down a beta route and how to back it out shouldn't do so - good point.

Google should indeed put it all in one place, with what version fixes what. The nearest thing I've seen so far to a place with all this referenced is in this forum's thread, and the links within it, which is a long read. Hopefully by sharing (and periodic summarising) here we can help each other and Netgear to respectively workaround and resolve.

Have you got a link as to where the reports are about the Google fix not working please? this could be helpful - thanks.

Message 434 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@browntea wrote:

Have you got a link as to where the reports are about the Google fix not working please? this could be helpful - thanks.

I've been keeping an eye on this pretty much daily and funnily enough just when checking again while updating the post, my Google Play Services seems to have updated from 11.9.73 (4th January) to 11.9.75(dated 20th January), 11.9.74 was the beta which is where the fix for the issue was initially applied.  I'm not in the beta so .75 must be a production release, I've not seen much discussion on it yet (most feedback I saw on the .74 beta was positive) as I don't think that many people are bothered as it only affects a small number of routers but will get 2.4Ghz enabled again on my router and see how it goes although I'll need to also check all the other Android devices in the house.

I think the version numbering can vary depending on the device but the dates can still be checked, if it's the 4th January or older it's not updated but if it's 20th January or later it likely has the updated version.

Message 435 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@browntea wrote:

Just started V62 trial (day 1).

@brownteaThank you for comprehensive and informative post. It is a pity more posters don't include links to the source of the information they share with this forum.

I, too, am running trial/beta V62. It has been running, without dropouts, for over 7 days now. Encouraging!

There is a minor issue that I have observed and that is that the D7000 GUI does not show the IP address for all connected devices (see attached .pdf . It might be related, but the Windows Genie program/App doesn't show some connected devices. I have also had a connected device show in the Windows Genie with IP 0.0.0.0 although digging around I found it had a correct IP address. The Genie mobile Apps (iOS and Android) seem to take a very long time to scan and display the diagram of connected devices. Not sure if this is an artifact of the trial versions or just poor programming of the Apps in the first place.

Message 436 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@nscolli wrote:

@browntea wrote:

Just started V62 trial (day 1).

@brownteaThank you for comprehensive and informative post. It is a pity more posters don't include links to the source of the information they share with this forum.

I have linked to the sources I've been using although the big problem is there really isn't much in the way of sources.  Officially Google announced they were aware of the issue and a fix was due last Thursday and they've gone quite since then.  I've been following a few of the topics on the official Google forums but after initially responding and pointing to a central thread, they've stopped responding and there's been no updates the last few days.

There's been some spotty discussions on the Android Reddit but they've been pretty brief, one of the issues is I think only a few routers are being badly affected by this problem like we are so there's not been that much being posted about it.  I am wondering if more people are affected than they realise but they're just having lesser symptoms and given wifi can be a bit iffy anyway, are not realising.

This appears to be the 'official' thread for the issue as Google have been marking other threads as duplicates and pointing back to it:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/chromecast/eDuJqvQXguE

This was one of the other ones that usefully linked to some of the different manufacturer forums to highlight the issue but has been closed and is marked as a duplicate of the one above:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/chromecast/NRYPhVh1iZs;context-place=forum/chro...

A small thread on the current Google services update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/7rucnm/just_got_google_play_service_beta_11975_update_t...

A longer thread on the beta update that had the wifi fix:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7re4yl/google_play_services_11974_beta_download/?st=jctvk5...

Message 437 of 595

Excellent account. Thanks for piling in with that addition information.

I drop by only to point out that a simultaneous discussion along similar lines is running for the router only version of this device, the R7000.

As both are suffering from Google disease, and perhaps other afflictions, some of the links apply to both.

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

One word of warning, that discussion is even longer than this one.

Message 438 of 595
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like Google is officaly pushing the fix for the packet flooding issue for its devices I got the lastet update on my chromecast version 2 over the weekend and have not had any issues so far. Check Google's KB @ https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014 for more info on latest firmware versions of thier devices and see if you are up to date.

Message 439 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Can someone link me to the 62 firmware? 54 is getting on my nerves now with constantly restarting my router
Message 440 of 595
Jamesfx
Aspirant

Netgear's server 1 is still maintaining that 54 is the latest version..? I know they're are a few beta trials going on but.. I guess it's not official yet..?

I also read earlier that Google have rolled out updated firmware for their Chromecast's, and my 4, have also just noticed my nighthawk is still lowering me use 2.4, I haven't had to reset it since yesterday..! Holding back the cheers of excitement for now at least..!!
Message 441 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

Ver 54 is the latest on their website, but  beta ver 58 and beta ver 62  are available if you ask them for it. From what I have read her on this blog the results so far are promising.

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition,D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 442 of 595
Jamesfx
Aspirant

But in an earlier thread, someone stated that Netgear had remove links to the beta testers..?
Message 443 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

wrote:
But in an earlier thread, someone stated that Netgear had remove links to the beta testers..?

A short update on testing progress from an Australian customer volunteer trial/beta tester.

I am one of eight volunteers working with theTaiwanese engineers. I have not had feedback on the status of the testing by the other seven volunteers. There may be other volunteers working with USA engineers but I have no knowledge of this.

V54, V57, V58, V62 testing done. Now on V64 which has new code from the chipset vendor to avoid the Google packet issue.

It is looking good and stable even with the use of two Chromecasts (both Gen 1 on FW V 1.29.104827), one Google Home Mini (FW V 106111) and an Android phone during the test period.

My Google devices have not yet had any updates from Google to FW or android software upgrade to Google Play Services (V 11.9.75). There was an update to Google Home App on iOS (iPad) on 24 Jan to V 1.26.812. Android Google Home App last updated 10 Nov 2017 to V 1.26.30.8.

So even though the Google devices are probably still generating MDNS storms, the D7000 chip vendor fix must be working.

Extract from my log (AEDT):

"30 Jan 2018

22:36 V64 running with no dropouts from 12:15 26 Jan giving uptime of 4 days 10 hours."

Looks like we might be nearing the end.  🙂

Message 444 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

To be completely honest this has become academic.

D7000s have been not fit for the purpose they were sold for, for months now.

Mine cannot even run in AP mode for more than a couple of hours without losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity.

I'm sure that for some Netgear's fixes when they are finally released (i'm guessing sometime in July/August) might be of use to some, but for many of us that's of no use at all. We've moved on already.

The only thing that we've taken from this is that we cannot trust Netgear products. I'm sorry to say that, I held Netgear in high regard, but this is a debacle, and to be in a position where months after the problem raised it's ugly head, and still not have any kind of public release of a fix, is shameful.

Message 445 of 595
i-s
Tutor
Tutor

I agree. 

I tried to post previously to state that I'd moved to an AVM router which has worked flawlessly for wifi (not to say it has no other flaws). 

However, I'm shortly embarking on a network infrastructure project for my property and this whole episode has resulted in changing my specified Netgear GS324 for a TP-Link TL-SG1024D (And before anyone points it out, yes I know TP-Link suffered similar router issues. However, they didn't make the router that I paid a significant amount of money for into a paperweight)

Obviously one person buying one switch is chicken feed irrelevant for netgear, but in line with the above post it reflects a general sentiment in the market about how Netgear have responded (or in fact, how impossible contacting support even is unless you pay). 

Message 446 of 595
Jamesfx
Aspirant

Right guys, here we are, day 3 now without any dropouts on my nighthawks' 2.4 network, i'm still running .54 firmware.. for the last few months it varied between an hour and about 4 if uptime before falling over, Nothing has changed in the router, making me wonder if, as someone had said that Google's unconfirmed firmware update has fixed the issue..?

Is anyone else experiencing similar results on the .54 Netgear f/w..?
Message 447 of 595
LudwigVonMises
Aspirant

wrote:
Right guys, here we are, day 3 now without any dropouts on my nighthawks' 2.4 network, i'm still running .54 firmware.. for the last few months it varied between an hour and about 4 if uptime before falling over, Nothing has changed in the router, making me wonder if, as someone had said that Google's unconfirmed firmware update has fixed the issue..?

Same here. On .54. 2.4 GHz dropouts were a nightmare. But last reset was Sunday. Gone nearly 48hs without WiFi dropping on 2.4 GHz whereas before it was once every 2-12 hours.

Message 448 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

It's entirely possible the Google update to Google play services has fixed this, you can check on your Android devices by going into settings then apps and scroll down to Google Play Services and open the entry.  Verion number 11.9.74 was the beta with the wifi fix, 11.9.75 was the full roll out with the wifi fix.  I've read that the version numbers can have different formats but this is hopefully a start.

My own phone (Galaxy Note 8 running Android v7) received this update on around the 23rd January although curiously it didn't actually show it had updated the application in the notification bar as it does with other Google apps.  I checked the other Android devices (all v7/Nougat) in the house which are a Galaxy Tab S2 8, a Galaxy S6 Edge and a Galaxy Tab A (2016) - the first two were also running the 11.9.75 update but the Tab A wasn't which I thought was down to the person switching it off when they were finished using it rather than putting it to standby.  I ran it through its cycle of updates and once it was done, it was stil showing a much older version of Google Play Services from the end of November.   I held off re-enabling the 2.4Ghz on my D7000 as I thought it's pointless testing it if one of the devices could still kill it.

I've just checked right now again and the Tab A now shows the 11.9.75 update so I'll re-enable 2.4Ghz on the D7000 but keep the firmware at v54 plus get the Chromecasts connected to it and see how it goes.

Message 449 of 595
LudwigVonMises
Aspirant

wrote:

wrote:

It's entirely possible the Google update to Google play services has fixed this, you can check on your Android devices by going into settings then apps and scroll down to Google Play Services and open the entry.  Verion number 11.9.74 was the beta with the wifi fix, 11.9.75 was the full roll out with the wifi fix.  I've read that the version numbers can have different formats but this is hopefully a start.

My own phone (Galaxy Note 8 running Android v7) received this update on around the 23rd January although curiously it didn't actually show it had updated the application in the notification bar as it does with other Google apps.  I checked the other Android devices (all v7/Nougat) in the house which are a Galaxy Tab S2 8, a Galaxy S6 Edge and a Galaxy Tab A (2016) - the first two were also running the 11.9.75 update but the Tab A wasn't which I thought was down to the person switching it off when they were finished using it rather than putting it to standby.  I ran it through its cycle of updates and once it was done, it was stil showing a much older version of Google Play Services from the end of November.   I held off re-enabling the 2.4Ghz on my D7000 as I thought it's pointless testing it if one of the devices could still kill it.

I've just checked right now again and the Tab A now shows the 11.9.75 update so I'll re-enable 2.4Ghz on the D7000 but keep the firmware at v54 plus get the Chromecasts connected to it and see how it goes.

Great work there. I am on FW .54, too, and haven't had a 2.4 GHz drop in more than 48 hours. So I suspected something was up. I just checked the following devices in my home and all are showing 11.9.75 in Google Play Services:

Sony Xperia XZ - Android 8

Sony 55XBR-855D - Android 6

Two (2) Samsung Galaxy Tab A - Android 4

Huawei Mate 9 - Android 7

BLU R1 HD - Android 6

Old LG phone - Android 4 - doesn't even have Google Play Services (LOL)

So it appears that Google has beaten Netgear to the solution. Fingers cross that this is a definitive fix.

Message 450 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7