Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

awmalloy
Aspirant

Yes, still on 54 and only one dropout over the past few days when my son woke his tablet after being away. It looks to me, in my situation, that Google updates have by and large fixed the issue.

Message 451 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

I've re-enabled 2.4Ghz wifi on my D7000 although I'm having a lot of issues with it as some of the devices are intermittently connecting and others are refusing to connect at all.  I'm wondering if it's a channel problem though, my temporary 2.4Ghz wifi AP is on 12 (and staying there until I know the D7000 is reliable) so I put the D7000 to 6 rather than auto however I noticed the Chromecasts seemed to using channel 6 for their own internal AP which could be causing problems.

Thanks to everyone for posting how they're getting on as I know it's worth pursuing this further.

Message 452 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

@johnmcl7, there are some reported issues about various Android phones, e.g.,Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge) not connecting to wifi routers. Some connect to wifi but cannot connect to the Internet. There are also some reports about issues with Android IPv6.

These appear to be separate to the Google MDNS issue.

I think that's an entirely different issue to what I'm seeing as the problem I'm having is with a variety of different devices and different operating systems not connecting on the 2.4Ghz, they're working fine on 5Ghz for those that support it.  I've left it running a couple of days now so will check this evening, if anything can connect at all it will be an improvement over the previous state.  For now I'm suspecting it's simply an interference issue as I didn't realise the Chromecasts produce a lot of interference when they can't connect from running their own AP.

Message 453 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well gang... after 40 days and 3 D7000s I have finally given up. Even though the wifi is finally working with v62, the internet stability is terrible. Huge lag spikes and pings. Impossible to play PS4 games or enjoy a video.

So... Since I'm US based I went with my original setup: Actiontec c1000a in transparent bridge mode and an ASUS RT-N66U for wifi. Rock solid, inexpensive, and I'm getting my full DSL speed and no spikes. 

Thanks to Netgear and this community for their efforts, but unfortunately the D7000 is a lemon. 

Message 454 of 595
Graphicomp
Aspirant

Hallo everybody.

Here my report after having installed the V62...

So far, more than 6 days with no dropout. WIFI radios seem to be stable even sometime performances are not at the best.

When I installed the V58, I had problems quite soon after the upgrade. Maybe all the Chrome updates and the new V62 help to make my D7000 reusable...

Regards,

Danilo Belardinelli

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 455 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

v62 hasn't fixed it for me. It actually seems worse! Getting authentication errors more frequently
Message 456 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

2 chromecast 2nd gen.
2 Google home minis.
Samsung galaxy s7 edge.
Oneplus 5t.
Amazon fire 8 hd
Lenovo y50-70 laptop
Custom built pc

I'd ignore the phones and the computers though, as i come home from work and it's dead!
Message 457 of 595

wrote:
v62 hasn't fixed it for me. It actually seems worse! Getting authentication errors more frequently

I assume that you factory reset after you applied the new firmware.

That's an obvious thing to try if you have post-flash issues.

Message 458 of 595
Akirait
Aspirant

i also have y50-70 and i think the problem is the atheros wifi card.
No chromecast, 1 lg g5 smartphone and 1 samsung ks8000 tv

Message 459 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

Were you getting authentication errors on just the 2.4Ghz band or was it the 5Ghz band as well?

I was planning to check on how the 2.4Ghz was doing on my router tonight but oddly wireless died entirely on it on both bands, it could be seen but everything was getting authentication errors.  It's back up on a restart but I don't think I've seen it do that before and I'm on v54.

Message 460 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

On v54 it was just 2.4 that died and on v62 both die
Message 461 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

They update themselves don't they?
Play services on android phones is 11.9.75
Chromecasts are on 1.29.104827
Message 462 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

I get what you're saying, but I expect a £150 router to be able to handle these devices and not then shut down and block every single over device.
Been 2 months + now and still not fixed. Its bad!
Message 463 of 595

wrote:
...I expect a £150 router to be able to handle these devices and not then shut down and block every single over device.

Kind of difficult to engineer a device that can overcome all the third party issues that can hit it. You want one to keep working when your power goes off? Or when your ISP is off line?

Google invented a new one that hit just about every router maker.

Message 464 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Well you say that but everyone that say they have switched say they've had rock solid connections!
Message 465 of 595
swhitmore
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Is there an update for when the beta firmware will be made offical? I thought it would have rolled out by now.

Message 466 of 595
Jim00H
Aspirant

Firmware .60 released via Genie

Just upgraded to it from beta .58

Message 467 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

Hi guys,

Is there an update for when the beta firmware will be made offical? I thought it would have rolled out by now.

It looks like beta v58 was released around the 12th January and beta v62 was released around the 18th January and we've just received the production v60 (I can't seem to find a beta of that), so I'm guessing around a couple of weeks?  

Also I'm confused, it looks like the end of this topic has been deleted or has it been split off somewhere else?  It dropped from 23 pages to 21, when I went to page 23 on a PC that still had it open I was told I didn't have permission for that.

Message 468 of 595
browntea
Star

wrote: Also I'm confused, it looks like the end of this topic has been deleted or has it been split off somewhere else?  It dropped from 23 pages to 21, when I went to page 23 on a PC that still had it open I was told I didn't have permission for that.

The thread was longer. Maybe a tidyup has been done, as some conversation got heated. I think you've summarised the position of versions for production and beta correctly.

Message 469 of 595

Firmware goes through a fairly complicated test and verification process. This one is rare in being more publicly visible than most, probably because of the severity of the issue and the number of victims.

It can take a couple of weeks for the final beta version to go through Netgear's quality assurance tests before it is unleashed on the world. That roll out usually happens in phases, with updates on support pages not always coinciding with "automated" alerts. This gets even more complicated now that Netgear has thrown automatic updates into the mix. It might follow the Microsoft model and issue phased releases to avoid swamping the planet all in one go.

The usual pattern is for final releases to come at relatively long intervals, months rather than weeks. So if one final update went out last week, I wouldn't expect to see another one for some time.

Then again, this incident is more complicated than most, with at least two issues competing for attention, the chromecast bug, which manifested itself in the 2.4 GHz issues, and a seemingly trickier one that went beyond 2.4 GHz.

Fixes to the chromecast bug, along with Google's own repair work, seem to have rescued most users, but there are some who continue to see problems. So maybe the updates will come a  bit more often.

Message 470 of 595
w3wilkes
Prodigy

wrote:

Firmware goes through a fairly complicated test and verification process. This one is rare in being more publicly visible than most, probably because of the severity of the issue and the number of victims.

From what I've seen Netgear does little more than test basic router features and sometimes it feels like they don't even verify that the new firmware will actually load. Seems like there's always issues with USB attached devices that never get fixed, miss matched firmware number to actual firmware level, media server falls over with large number of media files. These seem to be fairly typical reported issues on many Netgear devices.

Message 471 of 595
antinode
Guru

> Firmware goes through a fairly complicated test and verification
> process.  [...]

Right.  That explains how the 400/403/404 errors in the web interface
get through time after time.  "complicated" and "thorough" (or
"adequate") are spelled differently for a reason.

> From what I've seen Netgear does little more than test basic router
> features [...]

Agreed.  For a suitably narrow definition of "basic", at best.

But thanks for the good laugh.

Message 472 of 595
antinode
Guru

My D7000 (V1.0.1.54_1.0.1) was proclaiming availability of a new
version, so I (manually) installed V1.0.1.60_1.0.1 (without difficulty,
and without a reset).

Same useless "Release Notes".  Same "403 Forbidden" from BASIC >
ReadySHARE : Safely Remove USB device.  And, of course, it doesn't
dismount the file system:

# mount | grep shares
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/shares/U type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,
allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,
errors=remount-ro)

Please remind me how good the QA is on this stuff.  I tend to forget.

Message 473 of 595
Saar
Aspirant

Hi guys,

I have had problems with the 2.4GHz wifi for several months, requiring rebooting every day at least once.

The device is running with firmware v54.

Almost a week ago all the problems disappeared and now everything is back to normal and running smoothly.

The only action I took is upgrading the firmware of my Netgear wifi range extender.

A number of Android devices are connected to the network as well, including Chromecast, Android TVs, phones tablets etc (didnt perform any action on those).

I dont have any explanation for this, but the fact is that the network is now stable (back to the original state it was a few months ago), no rebooting is required, multiple devices are constantly connected to the 2.4 network.

Any ideas???

Message 474 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

Hi guys,

I have had problems with the 2.4GHz wifi for several months, requiring rebooting every day at least once.

The device is running with firmware v54.

Almost a week ago all the problems disappeared and now everything is back to normal and running smoothly.

The only action I took is upgrading the firmware of my Netgear wifi range extender.

A number of Android devices are connected to the network as well, including Chromecast, Android TVs, phones tablets etc (didnt perform any action on those).

I dont have any explanation for this, but the fact is that the network is now stable (back to the original state it was a few months ago), no rebooting is required, multiple devices are constantly connected to the 2.4 network.

Any ideas???

I believe your Android devices have upgraded themselves to the new version which has the wifi fix for this, it's a silent update so there's no prompt for it and you won't see a notification to say it's been updated either as you normally do with Play store apps.  You can check this by going into your settings, Apps then scroll down to find Google Play Services and tap it - you should see a version number at the top.  Version 11.9.75 is the current version and it has the wifi fix (11.9.74 was the first firmware to have it but that was a beta), 11.9.73 and possibly a couple of older versions had the wifi bug in it which would kill 2.4ghz on the D7000 (and some other routers).  I don't know the exact date it was introduced as Google are generally keeping very quiet on it but I think it was around the end of November.

Google started rolling out the 11.9.75 update around the 20th January although not all devices received it immediately, my Galaxy Note 8 recevied it around the 23rd, another couple of Android devices were a couple of days later and one Android device only got it last week.  Once all were showing the update I reactivated the 2.4Ghz wireless on my D7000 (I'd set up a temporary 2.4Ghz access point as the D7000 had become useless) and so far it seems to be stable again, I've been moving 2.4ghz devices back to it and they've still able to connect.  I'm still on v54 and in December it was lasting minutes before the 2.4Ghz would fail and that's nearly a week it's been up.

The current newest production firmware is V60 but there's a beta V64 they're working on at the moment that has the chipset fix to stop the wireless failing if it gets flooded like the Google devices were doing, hopefully within the next couple of weeks we should see a production release of that.  For now though if your Google devices are updated, you should no longer be losing wifi for that specific issue.

Message 475 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7