Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Any ideas???

Your firmware is three versions out of date.

D7000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.60 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 476 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

D7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-60 is also out of date as D7000-V1.0.1.64_1.0.1 with chip manufacturers updates has also been created and is out for Beta testing.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 477 of 595

And where can @Saar get that?

Message 478 of 595
browntea
Star

wrote:

I dont have any explanation for this, but the fact is that the network is now stable (back to the original state it was a few months ago), no rebooting is required, multiple devices are constantly connected to the 2.4 network.

Any ideas???

It could be the pushed Android auto-updates to Chromecast, Google Play Services etc have fixed it in your case.

Current production version is v60 D7000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.60. Prior production version is v54. Current beta (as far as I know is v64 (V1.0.1.64_1.0.1), not on general release. Earlier in this long thread refers to Direct Messaging Netgear if you want to request a beta.

Message 479 of 595

It could be the pushed Android auto-updates to Chromecast, Google Play Services etc have fixed it in your case.

Beat me to it. That is the most obvious explanation.

Google fixed it and the problem went away.

Great evidence that this was the fault all along.

One of those bugs that the original firmware should have been able to handle, but not something that will have come up before Google crapped on everyone.

Message 480 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

Hi guys,

I have had problems with the 2.4GHz wifi for several months, requiring rebooting every day at least once.

The device is running with firmware v54.

Almost a week ago all the problems disappeared and now everything is back to normal and running smoothly.

The only action I took is upgrading the firmware of my Netgear wifi range extender.

A number of Android devices are connected to the network as well, including Chromecast, Android TVs, phones tablets etc (didnt perform any action on those).

I dont have any explanation for this, but the fact is that the network is now stable (back to the original state it was a few months ago), no rebooting is required, multiple devices are constantly connected to the 2.4 network.

Any ideas???

It's likely your Android devices have updated themselves, the required update happens automatically and it's silent - unlike normal play store app updates, there's no notification for it.  You can verify it yourself by going to the Android devices, open settings, apps, then scroll down the list and open Google play Service then check the version number at the top.  The current production version with the fix is 11.9.75 (11.9.74 was the beta), 11.9.73 had the wifi flooding bug and possibly another couple of versions before that.  

The update was first pushed out on the 20th January, my phone picked it up on the 23rd January, a couple more of the Android devices picked it up around the 25th but one device was later and picked it up around a week ago.  Annoyingly you can't seem to manually trigger the update. After all the Android devices on my network were updated, I re-enabled 2.4Ghz on my D7000 (on firmware version 54) and it's been up for almost a week while in December on the same firmware it was barely lasting minutes before it went down.

Apologies if this is a double post, I posted it earlier but can't seem to find it now.

Message 481 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

Hi guys,

I have had problems with the 2.4GHz wifi for several months, requiring rebooting every day at least once.

The device is running with firmware v54.

Almost a week ago all the problems disappeared and now everything is back to normal and running smoothly.

The only action I took is upgrading the firmware of my Netgear wifi range extender.

A number of Android devices are connected to the network as well, including Chromecast, Android TVs, phones tablets etc (didnt perform any action on those).

Any ideas???

It's likely your Android devices have updated themselves, the required update happens automatically and it's silent - unlike normal play store app updates, there's no notification for it.  You can verify it yourself by going to the Android devices, open settings, apps, then scroll down the list and open Google play Service then check the version number at the top.  The current production version with the fix is 11.9.75 (11.9.74 was the beta), 11.9.73 had the wifi flooding bug and possibly another couple of versions before that.  

The update was first pushed out on the 20th January, my phone picked it up on the 23rd January, a couple more of the Android devices picked it up around the 25th but one device was later and picked it up around a week ago.  Annoyingly you can't seem to manually trigger the update. After all the Android devices on my network were updated, I re-enabled 2.4Ghz on my D7000 (on firmware version 54) and it's been up for almost a week while in December on the same firmware it was barely lasting minutes before it went down.

Apologies if this is a double post, I posted it earlier but can't seem to find it now.

Message 482 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

Beat me to it. That is the most obvious explanation.

Google fixed it and the problem went away.

Great evidence that this was the fault all along.

One of those bugs that the original firmware should have been able to handle, but not something that will have come up before Google crapped on everyone.

The moment someone posted here about the TP-Link engineer diagnosing Google being the cause it immediately made sense, it always seemed there was an external factor to the issue given it started around the same time on routers of varying ages and different firmwares.  

My D7000's 2.4Ghz has been up nearly a week now and after moving the 2.4ghz devices back onto it, is still running normally.  On the same firmware in December, the 2.4Ghz network was barely up for minutes.

Since there's potential for different wifi issues, I think it's worth specifying exactly what this particular issue is.

Symptoms - the problem started around late November at which point for those affected, 2.4Ghz wifi would stop allowing devices to connect.  Some devices may report an authentication issue others simply won't connect, Windows will report it was unable to connect to the network.  5Ghz, ethernet and the WAN connections will still function normally and 2.4Ghz will be restored after the D7000 is restarted.

Cause - An update to Google Play services on Android phones and tablets was pushed out around late November, this update had a bug which when the Android device was woken up, it would cause it to flood the wireless network with data trying to connect to a Chromecast which would then cause the router to shut down the 2.4ghz network.  The longer the Android device is asleep, the bigger the data flood.  It's not entirely clear if the Chromecast and Google Home products would also generate these floods, it is possible for the problem to occur if there are no Chromecasts or Google Home products active on the network.

Solution - Netgear currently have a beta firmware v64 with the fix to stop the router shutting down, we should hopefully see this available soon.  For those that have these exact symptoms and it's still happening, check any Android devices by opening Settings, go to Apps, scroll down to Google Play Services, open it and check the version number.  11.9.74 or newer means the device doesn't have the wifi bug whlie 11.9.73 or older (within a couple of versions) means it has the wifi bug. Unfortunately there is no direct way to upgrade the Google Play Services, I've found devices that are shut down completely are slower to pick up the update while those on 24/7 picked it up reasonably quickly so any devices without the update I'd recommend leaving the device on.  Once the Android devices are all updated, the 2.4ghz network should then work normally again even without the Netgear fix.

Message 483 of 595
ukoldgit
Apprentice

I read that google started pushing out updates as of Jan 18th and I can confirm I've had no 2.4ghz drop outs since.

Also I have no Google hardware but have a android phone and a TV with an android OS, the TV I presume has Google software as well as Google play as does the phone, I believe these to have been the problem,

The problem for me like others started in December and at the time I had firmware V1.0.1.48, I upgraded to V1.0.1.54 which made no diffrence other then my usb drive nolonger appeared in the network list.

As I've seen V1.0.1.60 was available I've just upgraded to that and 2.4ghz is still ok and also my usb drive has reappeared in th network.

So my final thoughts are that Google rectified the problem and hopefully the V1.0.1.60 firmware will actually prevent future problems like what have just occured.

Message 484 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

wrote:

I read that google started pushing out updates as of Jan 18th and I can confirm I've had no 2.4ghz drop outs since.

Also I have no Google hardware but have a android phone and a TV with an android OS, the TV I presume has Google software as well as Google play as does the phone, I believe these to have been the problem,

The problem for me like others started in December and at the time I had firmware V1.0.1.48, I upgraded to V1.0.1.54 which made no diffrence other then my usb drive nolonger appeared in the network list.

As I've seen V1.0.1.60 was available I've just upgraded to that and 2.4ghz is still ok and also my usb drive has reappeared in th network.

So my final thoughts are that Google rectified the problem and hopefully the V1.0.1.60 firmware will actually prevent future problems like what have just occured.

Initially it was believed it was the Chromecasts and Home devices that were causing the problem but it seems to be either just Android phones and tablets that were the main cause as they were spamming the network to try and find any devices they could control.  Android based devices like Amazon Kindle Fires, Echos etc. were not affected.

V60 does not contain the wifi fix, that's currently in the V64 beta and should hopefully have a production release soon.

Message 485 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

I must be the unluckiest one here!?
I'm on V64 and still having issues. Every day I get home from work and have to reset it as nothing can connect.
I've factory reset and set up from scratch, no help.
Message 486 of 595

Not all problems with the D7000 trace back to the Google farce. Just most of them. Indeed, some people insist that the Google thing is a red herring and that talking about it in these discussions is "threadjacking".

You seem to have done all the right things, especially the reset. That should not always be necessary but is an obvious thing to try if problems persist post-flash.

Is loss of 2.4 GHz the only symptom you see? Got any devices with 5 GHz you can use to check if that falls over too?

As this is a long running discussion about a problem that is now fixed for many people, you might like to start another discussion describing what the problem is, what you have tried, and telling folks that you are aware of the Google thing and that the fix doesn't work for you.

Do that and you might get the attention of the Netgear team.

Message 487 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

wrote:
I must be the unluckiest one here!?
I'm on V64 and still having issues. Every day I get home from work and have to reset it as nothing can connect.
I've factory reset and set up from scratch, no help.

@Tomhurst

Sorry to hear your V64 experience is the total opposite to mine which is strange that the same FW on the same modem router can have such a different effect.

My V64 had a perfect run of 10 days 10 hours before I shut all my systems down for a four day absence. All back up now and the environment has been running for 8 hours, again with no dropouts.

I have Chromecasts, Google Home mini and android phone, two iPads, an iPhone, a printer as well as a PC, a TV, a set top box and a couple of NASs. So plenty of devices to potentially cause the D7000 to collapse in some way but it hasn't.

What devices do you leave running while you are at work? I was wondering if one of them is faulty or not up to the latest FW or system software and is causing the disconnects rather than it being a D7000 issue? What do you reckon? Have you done a process of elimination?

Message 488 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Two Google home minis using 1.29.106111
And a tp-link kasa smart plug

Everything else is turned off while I'm at work
Message 489 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Does this not also prove 64 hasn't fully fixed it?
Message 490 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

I've turned preview program on for both my minis and have been updated to 1.30.111204
Message 491 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

wrote:
I've turned preview program on for both my minis and have been updated to 1.30.111204

@TomhurstThanks for the advice on the Google Home Mini option to join their Preview Programme. I opted in last night and this morning (AEDT) the mini was on version 1.30.111204 (previously 1.29.106111).

I have now opted into the Preview Programme for one of the Chromecasts which now states "waiting for next preview firmware update". So I will be interested to see if it gets a push update (current version on Gen 1 is 1.29.104827).

V64 still up and no dropouts in second test period of 20 hours (first period 10 days 10 hours)

Message 492 of 595
yalson
Star

.64 is now showing as general release firmware.
Message 493 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

wrote:

I have now opted into the Preview Programme for one of the Chromecasts which now states "waiting for next preview firmware update". So I will be interested to see if it gets a push update (current version on Gen 1 is 1.29.104827).

Further to my earlier post above about the Google Preview Programme (Feb 10), I just noticed that my Chromecast FW has been push updated to version: 1.30.109591.

Also my second test period of V64 beta/trial has run successfully for 3 days 7 hours (the first test period lasting for 10 days 10 hours). No dropouts during either test period. As stated by @yalson V64 is now available on the website (http://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx#download).

Message 494 of 595
browntea
Star

As stated by @yalson V64 is now available on the website (http://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx#download).

Been on the beta for v64 for 7 days and 1 hour. No router WiFi hang during that time, and no need to physically reboot it. I am getting occasional "internet not connected" as reported by from Netgear genie, (and I then loose internet conenctivity for between 5 and 30 seconds) even when connect by an ethernet cable. But the problem resolves before I can ping the router and external website and troubleshoot. No errors in the logs and the router says it's been connected to the internet all the time. Worth sticking with v64 now it's in released for production download, but will either post here or start a new thread if I find out more about the intermittant ethernet/internet issue.

Message 495 of 595
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Netgear has released FW 1.0.1.64 for D7000v1 to address 2.4GHz disconnect issues. The new offical firmware version 1.0.1.64 can be downloaded from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx.

New Features and Enhancements:

• Improved stability with Google devices (Chromecast Devices, and Google Home Devices).
Message 496 of 595
RexLuscus
Aspirant

Well, I've tried all the trobleshooting steps, installed first the 1.62 firmware, and today the 1.64, and the dropouts just keep getting more frequent, both on 2.4 and 5 bands. Consigning this PoS to the junk heap and replacing with some other modem router. Needless to say, I shan't be buying Netgear again, and I'll consider whether I hve a claim under Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Message 497 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

@RexLuscus I was still having issues with V64 too.

My workaround was open the Google home app, go on each Google device (home, chromecast, etc) and turn preview program on for them all. Reboot if necessary and they should all get updated to newer firmware. I haven't had a dropout since I've done that
Message 498 of 595
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello RexLuscus

Just as Tomhurst suggested make sure your google based devices are up to date with the latest firmware and the google play services on any device as well.

DarrenM 

Message 499 of 595
kjjunior
Aspirant

Hi, Im on 1.0.0.47_1.0.1.

I have been having these issues for sometime. When i try to update my router there isn't an option to update it to v60,

Any help please?

Message 500 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7