Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

kjjunior
Aspirant

Hi, i finally found the update file.  I seem to having a problem. Everytime i try to upload it says "please assign the correct file. The file format is *.chk".

The things i have tried:

Different web browsers

New computer/mac's

Re downloading the file multiple time.

I would like to add i haven't touched the file at all, would love some help ASAP, my 2.4gz is cutting out a lot more frequently, 

Thanks.

Message 501 of 595
kjjunior
Aspirant

Ignore my last two posts. 

I have the d7000v2. Is there a new firmware update for that/fix yet that anyone knows of. Or is it just for the d7000v1?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 502 of 595

@kjjunior wrote:

Ignore my last two posts. 

I have the d7000v2. Is there a new firmware update for that....?

D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 503 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

The correct and latest firmware file name for the D7000 V1 is D7000-V1.0.1.64_1.0.1.img

Message 504 of 595

Firmware for the D7000 comes as a .chk file, not .img.

There is no sign of V1.0.1.64 on the support pages for this hardware.

Message 505 of 595
antinode
Guru

> Firmware for the D7000 comes as a .chk file, not .img.
> There is no sign of V1.0.1.64 on the support pages for this hardware.

Which "the support pages" would those be, and for which "this
hardware"?  Around here, if I visit http://netgear.com/support , put in
"D7000" as the model number, and look for Downloads, then, under
Firmware and Software Downloads, I see "Firmware Version 1.0.1.64", and
when I fetch and unpack that kit, I find:

pro3$ ls -l
total 71160
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 sms  admin  36429543 Jan 25 16:41 D7000-V1.0.1.64_1.0.1.img
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 sms  admin      3306 Feb 12 11:58 D7000-V1.0.1.64_1.0.1_Release_Notes.html

Not only does it exist, but my D7000[v1] has been nagging me about it
for days.

Perhaps you were thinking of the D7000v2, which is different in many
ways.  But thanks for the helpful advice.

Message 506 of 595
Peckerwood
Aspirant

I just discovered that my D7000 was not totally compatible with my provider.

D7000 experienced 10-20 connection drops a day and the line was fine.  These are not fully compatible with Windstream VDSL2.  Have been testing the Windstream Actiontec-T3200 with Arlo RBR50 and has been running flawlessly.

Netgear DSL routers are listed as compatible with Windstream but in my opinion they are not.  It was worth testing the Actiontec for weeks and I absolutely no drops.

With this in mind I returned my failing EX6120 (bad firmware) to Amazon and sold my D7000 on eBay and have my EX7000 also listed on eBay.  Took a loss but I could not live like this.

My Orbi RBR50 has been running flawlessly... my only disappointment is I am unable to connect USB drives as I could on the D7000.  Only printers are allowed now from what I have discovered.

Message 507 of 595
Peckerwood
Aspirant

Wrong.  Bonded is required for 100MPS or a distance further than I am for the 50MPS that I have.  I am very close to the fiber hub.

Message 508 of 595
Peckerwood
Aspirant

Do NETGEAR's retail VDSL modems and gateways support bonded VDSL?

No. The DM200 modem and D6220, D6400, D7000, and D7800 VDSL gateways do not support bonded VDSL. If there are installation issues for CenturyLink or other bonded VDSL service providers, support experts need to ask the customer if they are using bonded VDSL line. If customer is unsure please ask them to contact their ISP and confirm if they are using Bonded VDSL line. Confirming with ISP is the only way to be certain if bonded VDSL is used. There is no physical way to distinguish whether bonded VDSL is used or not. What is VDSLBonding.

If you are not sure what the D7000 is capable of check out the tech specs: AC1900 Nighthawk VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Tech Specs

This should pretty much end this conversation.

Message 509 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Just got back from a 3 day holiday. And surprise surprise, authentication errors still.
Only items on would have been two Google home minis and they are on the latest preview programme firmwares.
Router is also on V64 so fat lot of good that was.
So had a crappy router for 3 months now, and doesn't look like it's getting fixed either.
Used to think netgear was good, but after all this, definitely changed my opinion!
Message 510 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@Tomhurstwrote:
Just got back from a 3 day holiday. And surprise surprise, authentication errors still.
Only items on would have been two Google home minis and they are on the latest preview programme firmwares.
Router is also on V64 so fat lot of good that was.
So had a crappy router for 3 months now, and doesn't look like it's getting fixed either.
Used to think netgear was good, but after all this, definitely changed my opinion!

@TomhurstVery frustrating for you. There must be something else impacting your D7000.

I have a similar setup to you with two Chromecast Gen 1 and one Google Home Mini (all on Preview Programme firmware) and V64. No dropouts or authentication errors in second test period of 8 days 22 hours (first period 10 days 10 hours).

So I reckon you have a faulty D7000 V1 or there is something else in your environment impacting the D7000. I am not savvy enough to provide any guidance on how you can track this down but hopefully others on this forum will be able to assist.

Message 511 of 595
SteveyC
Aspirant

I have been having the same problem ie. the 2.4gig Wi Fi stoped working. I just got it working again by going to Advanced - Advanced Setup - Wireless Settings where i found that under 'Wireless Settings 2.4 Gig b,g,n' the enable wireless router radio was unchecked. I re checked the box and so far so good. 

I have no idea why it was unchecked, it was working one day and the next day it wasen't .....Strange

Hope this might help some of you......

Message 512 of 595

@SteveyC wrote:

I just got it working again by going to Advanced - Advanced Setup - Wireless Settings where i found that under 'Wireless Settings 2.4 Gig b,g,n' the enable wireless router radio was unchecked. I re checked the box and so far so good. 

Odd.

Did you also apply the latest firmware? That fixes this problem for many people.

Message 513 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

How can I contact netgear? They make it impossible if you're out of warranty.
I'm angry that mine still doesn't work and I can't even bloody talk to them about it!
Message 514 of 595
DKenward
Star

I took the plunge and upgraded the firmware of my D7000v1 to 1.64_1.0.1.

A week later and no drops of 2.4Ghz and everything else is working perfectly. 

I have a mixture of the following:

• Google Home
  • Android phones and tablets
  • Apple laptop
  • Windows desktop and laptops
  • Security cameras (Motorola)

Prior to the update the only wireless item not affected as it was working on 5Ghz was the Google Home.

So happy as this issue for me started towards the end of November 2017.

Message 515 of 595

So happy as this issue for me started towards the end of November 2017.

Consider it as Google's early Christmas present to router makers.

Nice to have another confirmation that it is fixed. This just leaves a handful, it seems, of sufferers, some of whom predated the Google bomb, suggesting some other root cause. The again, there are still a handful of people with Android stuff who insist that Google had nothing to do with this episode.

Message 516 of 595
Peckerwood
Aspirant

Not all windstream speed require bonded DSL.  The two biggest factors are how far from the DSLAM and the other is your desired speed.

The D7000 during setup shows Windstream as one of the ISP choices but trust me it is not compatable.

Message 517 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Have attached screenshots of Wifi Analyser before and after a dropout I've just had.

I attempted to connect my laptop to the router via ethernet and go to the router page, but no luck, the router is just full on dead and non responsive. The only way to get it running again is through a reboot...

As stated before, I'm on the latest v64 firmware which supposedly "fixes" the issue...

Message 518 of 595
farthing
Aspirant

I am currently on V1.0.1.60_1.0.1.

Haven't had a drop out in 2 weeks or more. (though there was an issue with an iPad that wouldn't reconnect the otherday, everything else has been fine.)

The trial of 58 I was using had a couple over the same period of time. 

I am rather hesitant to upgrade to whichever is the latest, I'm assuming it's 64.

Message 519 of 595

As stated before, I'm on the latest v64 firmware which supposedly "fixes" the issue...

Remind us, this is a long conversation, did you factory reset the device after the firmware flash?

That has restored sanity to more than one victim.

Message 520 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Yup, reset it and set it up again from scratch so I didn't import any old settings
Message 521 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Yeah my 2.4 is always on auto. But it's not the wireless, as everything goes down simultaneously, and even if I plug in with ethernet I can't do anything either
Message 522 of 595
browntea
Star

@Tomhurstwrote:
Yup, reset it and set it up again from scratch so I didn't import any old settings

The wifi scan shows a lot of congestion on 2.5GHz at Channel 2. If it's on auto you might wish to wander around the house to see where looks less congested and then consider setting it to channel 9 or 10 to create some headroom? I know after rebooting it got some space back at channel 2, as everything else has moved away again - but it's is worth looking to see if channel 2 gets congested again if it locks up - if so then definitley worth a go.Similarly the 5GHz looks busy at Channel 42, you might try a higher channel to gain some head space on that too?

@you could PM @droman and summarise your v64 issue seems to have the same symptoms of hanging requiring a reboot.

Hope that helps.

Message 523 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

@Case850 in the router settings it's definitely on auto
Message 524 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

@Case850 see it has selected channel 3
Message 525 of 595