Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

craigsdewar
Initiate

I can't believe this thread is 26 pages without Netgear providing a solution to a problem that is obviously effecting most purchasers.

I wish i had have read this thread before wasting my money on a Nighthawk D7000v2.

The 2.4GHz authentication is crap.

Every day i have to go to admin settings, change the password to something else, and back to the original.

2.4Ghz devices then re-connect - but only for a day or so until i do the password change again.

I have downgraded to older versions of firmware with no improvement (back to v44)

Come-on Netgear - it can't be that hard to fix this issue - been a problem for months, and yet the latest  D7000v2-V1.0.0.47 looks like it was released in Feb.

I will be taking my Netgear back for a refund if i dont see any updates by end of May 2018. 

Lift your game Netgear!

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 576 of 595

@craigsdewar wrote:

I can't believe this thread is 26 pages without Netgear providing a solution to a problem that is obviously effecting most purchasers.

Two comments, Netgear, along with other hardware makers, Google and the chipset suppliers, provided a solution to the problem raised in that first message. They did that months ago. It was in the shape of new firmware that fixed the "2.4GHz wifi flood" problem that Google created in Chromecast and Android and that hit many different models.

Here's a discussions that started around the same time:

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

So any continuing problems are not the same thing and are probably best raised in a new discussion. Don't just take a ride on the end of a long running discussion, especially of you want Netgear to see your question through the noise.

Which brings us to the claim that "most purchasers" have the same problem. Nope.

Again if you read the earlier messages you will see that some people discovered that, even if they were not suffering from the wifi flow, they had different problems that they fixed in different ways.

That's a general pattern around here. Things can go wrong in so many ways that there is no simple "do this and its is fixed" response.

This seems to be your first message on this forum, so it is easy to understand why you are not familiar with this history or how to go about getting things fixed. (Welcome to the funny farm)

For a start you say that you have the D7000v2, this discussions is about the D7000. Such is Netgear's eccentric model naming system, there are likely to be significant differences between the two, probably at the chipset level. So issues on the D7000v2 are unlikely to be the same as those on the D7000. But there are some standard solutions that you can try. We have no idea if you have attempted any of these.

It looks like you have been playing around with different firmware. (Remember, the D7000v2 is not the D7000 and has different firmware, you cannot swap between them.) If you do change firmware and experience post-flash issues, the first thing to do is to factory reset the device.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

There is a manual for the D7000v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 159.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware. This seems to be especially true of wifi problems.

Do not retrieve a saved backup of your settings as this may well bring the bug back from the grave.

If you want to take this further, you might do better to start afresh with a new discussion. If you do that you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Message 577 of 595
tasmansaroha
Tutor

I bought Netgear D7000V2 10 pieces from Australia. My customers experience the same problem like Internet always drop connection,  WiFi 2.4 ghz lost, cannot access router, etc. Currently the problem can be solve by downgrading firmware to version D7000v2_FW_V1.0.0.38_1.0.1. Make all settings on this version, after that do upgrade online without factory default.

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 578 of 595
Klop
Aspirant

Fixed my issue of router resetting crashing by setting WiFi speeds tp minimum and Chanel from auto to channel 1.there is a lot of people throughing out netgear because of this stupid problem.
Message 579 of 595
Klop
Aspirant

Change Chanel from auto to 1 and speed to minimum in WiFi setting
Message 580 of 595
Klop
Aspirant

Change Chanel from auto too 1 and speed to minimum.
Message 581 of 595
Wfrmsf
Guide

Or the TPLink M9. It’s also a mesh router system with speeds and price similar to the Nighthawk but with far greater reliability.

Message 582 of 595

@Wfrmsf wrote:

Or the TPLink M9. It’s also a mesh router system with speeds and price similar to the Nighthawk but with far greater reliability.

You are, of course, free to scatter your sales pitch for this device throughout the Netgear Community, but you may might like to know that you have jumped into a long running discussion – it has been quiet for three months and will soon celebrate its first birthday – about a modem/router.

Message 583 of 595
richardw001
Guide

I think it's gone quiet because people have either changed to different devices - or are tolerating it (the issue is still there in my view - just that the latest firmwares and the suggestions mediate the issue somewhat)

Of course, you are right the M9 isnt really a suitable replacement - and is quite expensive for what it is

However any other suggestions are welcome - at least for me - for D7000 replacement options

Message 584 of 595

@richardw001 wrote:

I think it's gone quiet because people have either changed to different devices - or are tolerating it (the issue is still there in my view - just that the latest firmwares and the suggestions mediate the issue somewhat)

The last message before the bizarre invitation to buy something that wasn't a modem, was posted on 2018-06-21, before the latest firmware for the D7000.

The new firmware was released on 09/04/2018.

D7000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.68 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That date does not, of course, tie up with the way that this forum uses dates. On that calendar, the new firmware appeared in 04/09/2018. Today.

Have you tried it? The release notes says, "Fixed security issues", but we all know that release notes are worth the electrons they are written by. So the firmware may do more than that.

Message 585 of 595
Wfrmsf
Guide

Well. A few months ago since the thread has started isn't too long ago, yet there are still users in the netgear community have posted about the same issue with their netgear device just a couple days ago. Of course me "scattering my sales pitch" for a non-netgear device is to help the community decide on a better product and brand and not to please a good ol' netgear fan or employee that wants to quickly brush off a case who already owns like 12 netgear products.
Message 586 of 595
Wfrmsf
Guide

The firmware update and the DUMAOS (that O should've been an S anyway) isn't anywhere helpful to prevent this pile of you know what to constantly miscommunicate with the ISP or connected devices wired or wireless just like what a typical netgear product usually does.
Message 587 of 595

@Wfrmsf wrote:
Well. A few months ago since the thread has started isn't too long ago, yet there are still users in the netgear community have posted about the same issue with their netgear device just a couple days ago.

Yes, but your solution was to replace a modem/router with a router. I'll let you into a secret, that won't work.

Either you do not know the difference or you are into troll mode.

Message 588 of 595
richardw001
Guide

To be fair to Netgear - most of the replacements that I have looked at have people in reviews complaining about disconnects and crashes ( triggered possibly due to Android devices). 

what I would say however that if you take a leading retail site beginning with A - the D7000 has gone from pretty much a 100% 4-5 star review percent a year or so ago  - to have 21% one-star reviews now. 

And yes - I am  on the latest firmware V1.0.1.68_1.0.1 

Message 589 of 595

@richardw001 wrote:

what I would say however that if you take a leading retail site beginning with A - the D7000 has gone from pretty much a 100% 4-5 star review percent a year or so ago  - to have 21% one-star reviews now. 

To my mind that is a more reliable guide to what people see in the real world. I check the shape of the "curve".

It is possible to game those ratings, but when 5* are only a bit more than twice the number of 1*, there is a problem.

It is a better guide than the people who turn up here and say "everyone says that this device is rubbish", when the * rating disagrees violently.

For example, there are many moans here about the R7000 router being complete rubbish. The same star chart gives that device five times as many 5* reviews as 1*. A very different curve from the D7000.

Modems seem to be a particular problem. That may be partly down to Internet service providers that don't want to play ball. They would rather rent customers a crappy modem than work out how to let third party hardware work on their networks.

Message 590 of 595
Wfrmsf
Guide

It's funny how my previous comment that was suppose to be the 589th one got removed.  What's wrong? Afraid that the truth is revealed because it disparages Netgear?

Once again. I am well aware that this thread about the DSL modem/router combo, but to share the secret with you Mr. Kenward is that routers and modems can be two seperate devices and is usually the more recommended method to connect with the ISP. Modems are usually inexpensive and ISPs can distrubute the ones that's most suitable with them and the subscriber at little to no cost. Rental?  Yes, some ISPs, like Comcast have that option but they still let you use your own that you can get that's not expensive. Or Fiber Optic Gigabit ISPs where you can't get any modems for it with retail.

And once again, if anyone prefer to get the combined Modem/Router for instance, due to space restrictions or not clutter up their power strip, there are also many brands for that out there that are far superior to Netgear connecting either Cable or DSL.  The 4-5 more brands I mentioned in the original deleted comment, all have awards, high customer satisfactions and keeps users connected 24/7 at top performance. As with their standalone routers or wifi routers, they also do not have Netgear's signature feature of kicking users offline frequently, have a poorly managed so called 24/7 customer service, and a long page of complaints for each and one of their products.

Once again, a user suggested Google Wifi, that's why I put Deco M9 plus in there.

No where I am trolling, just offering some advice to consumers to seek for far better brands.  Not sure if you're a Netgear employee or simply just a cult follower, Mr. Michael Kenward. If you're an employee, that was some bogus customer support along with some top notch rudeness and unprofessionalism.  Just wow, NETGEAR.

Message 591 of 595
Wfrmsf
Guide

It's not the matter of operating systems, but the quality of the connecting device, the modem and/or router.  On my network, we have 3 iPads, 2 iPhones all running iOS, a Samsung Galaxy S9, LG smartphone, Asus Zenphone, which all uses Android, a Galaxy Gear Sport watch, 2 Windows 10 devices, and a Macbook Pro all connecting to a Netgear XR500, a non-modem wifi router, the expensive one too that also has the exact same problem as your Netgear device.  Before that, I had another branded router that works great but needed to replace it with a triband router so I decided on a XR500 which is a big mistake.  We also briefly used a Nighthawk N7000 before replacing it with a Belkin. I had a N750 and at some point and had a range extender for my other house connecting to a Linksys wifi router. All of our NETGEAR products either goes back to the store within a week or gets smashed by a baseball bat and hammer.
Message 592 of 595

@Wfrmsf wrote:
Not sure if you're a Netgear employee ....

All messages from Netgear employees flag this up in their posts.

For example:

Re: Ex7300 connects and send out signal but no int... - NETGEAR Communities

Note the  "icon" and the "NETGEAR Moderator" tag.

Message 593 of 595
_Oliver_
Aspirant

Seems to be a common issues on Netgear routeurs... I bought a R7000P some months ago and had this issue for the last 2 or 3 months now... a google search shows that there are plenty of complains of connections dropping on 2.4 GHz. Really annoying. I bought the R7000P for the BitDefender protection but I really regret it. All my home automation devices use 2.4 GHz, ilagine the pain when I have to reboot my routeur every second hours to be able to use these devices...

Message 594 of 595

@_Oliver_ wrote:

Seems to be a common issues on Netgear routeurs... I bought a R7000P some months ago and had this issue for the last 2 or 3 months now... a google search shows that there are plenty of complains of connections dropping on 2.4 GHz.

Do you have the latest firmware on the R7000P? Did you reset after the latest update?

Some of those Google hits may date back to the dreaded Chromecast bug, which is now nearing its first birthday.

Google delivered an early Christmas present late last year, when it unleashed some crummy code for Chromecast and Android. This resulted in a "wifi flood" that knocked out wifi, especially 2.4 GHz, on equipment from many suppliers. The industry, including Google and various network chipset makers, had to rush out patches to deal with the problem.

While router makers and some Google kit received updates, there have been reports that some Google stuff didn't get automatic updates, leaving users to work out what was going on and to find their own updates.

Message 595 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7