Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

UPDATE: After two weeks with only one crash. Today had a complete D7000 crash which necessitated a factory reset and reconfigure. v. 38.

If there are Netgear engineers watching, I'd like to join the 57 beta group. Please contact me.

Thanks!

~g

Message 251 of 595
IT9MBZ
Aspirant

Hi to everyone.

This morning is the second morning that I found the 2.4GHz AP crashed.

The common thing between yesterday and today is the Chromecast powered on.

Reading other post in this thread, make me tink that the issue became from it.

Is it possible that Google maked an upgrade of Chromecast causing this issue?

For who ask the nationality of us, I'm from Italy.
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 252 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

@IT9MBZ wrote:
Hi to everyone.

This morning is the second morning that I found the 2.4GHz AP crashed.

The common thing between yesterday and today is the Chromecast powered on.

Reading other post in this thread, make me tink that the issue became from it.

Is it possible that Google maked an upgrade of Chromecast causing this issue?

For who ask the nationality of us, I'm from Italy.

I am in Australia and you could be correct about Chromecast.  I very rarely use my Chromecast.  I used it about two weeks ago, which was the first time for many months.  After I used the Chromecast, I think that's when my trouble started. 

Message 253 of 595
killscreen
Guide

I gave up on the D7000 with the 2.4ghz wifi issue and bought an Asus DSL-AC68U.

I have 3 chromecasts and no issues on the Asus router, so I think it's a stretch to put the blame on chromecast. If the netgear can't handle modern wifi devices like chromecast, then as a dual band wireless router it's not fit for purpose in my opinion.

Actually it's only now I realise how inferior the wifi is on the D7000 even when it was working fine as my devices used to take a while to connect to the router. Sometimes my laptop after waking up from sleep mode wouldn't auto connect, until I brought up the wifi list. I thought this was normal, but none of this happens on the Asus and devices make a wifi connection much quicker.

Also for what it's worth, the wifi issue on my D7000 started happening early to mid December for me on the firmware before 50 (off memory I think 44) which I had been on for at least a few months (ie. No recent firmware update caused the wifi issue for me) . I've had the D7000 for over 12 months and always used chromecast in that time.
Message 254 of 595
rabidpuppy
Aspirant

I don't have any Chromecast and have the 2.4 issues.  I don't even cast anything from my phone or other devices.

Message 255 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

@rabidpuppy wrote:

I don't have any Chromecast and have the 2.4 issues.  I don't even cast anything from my phone or other devices.

I just remembered: about  I fired up an old Belkin WiFi cam that operates on 2.4  It worked for a day and the problems started the next day.  Maybe a coincidence. I could get 2.4 again by repowering the modem but it drops out quickly.  I haven't turned the camera on since the drop outs were noticable

Message 256 of 595
weeman247
Tutor

Totally agree. I have no chromecast and have the problems.
Message 257 of 595
Vicmexican
Aspirant

Same issues here. Have unfortunately had my router for 11 months.
My 5ghz is fine. 2.4 is rubbish trying to use wemo and chromecast. Everything else runs off 5ghz.
I use the same ssid for both bands if that makes a difference. Have emailed Netgear, contacted them on Facebook messenger, no reply. Poor form. My issues started mid November when coincidentally I'd moved house. I thought the new place was the issue until I exhausted all avenues. Then found this thread. Piss poor effort by Netgear
Message 258 of 595
Chrissyboy1
Tutor

The best workaround ive found so far until we get a reliable firmware update is to use a digital timer to reboot the router in the middle of the night , not great but at least im not getting dropouts all the time.
Message 259 of 595
Vicmexican
Aspirant

I guess could use my Wemo for that..... Oh wait.. ☹️
Not a bad idea but mine needs to be rebooted about 4 times a day at least
Message 260 of 595
m2jel
Aspirant

I want to add that I'm having problems too so that Netgear can see that it is a large problem.

I was using a used D7000 for over a year and started experiencing problems in mid-November; I had the latest firmware installed. Channels are set to Auto.

Two weeks ago I bought a brand new D7000v2 and am experiencing 4 problems (the first 3 were the same on the version 1):

• Internet drops (orange/red light)
  • wifi drops of both 2.4 & 5 Ghz (internet light is white)
  • will not recognize my "qwest" account for automatically setting up
  • can not upgrade firmware, so I'm stuck at V1.0.0.44_1.0.1

I can go one or two days without a problem, or the need to reboot 3+ times in a day. I'm fairly tech knowledgable, and I was blaming my problems on CenturyLink until my online searching brought me this forum!

Other notes: Using Parental Controls (via OpenDNS). I installed a Ring Doorbell in November. We have Chromecast too, but have it plugged into a controlled power device (it's only on if the tv is on). Besides having a college student at home in mid-December, nothing else has changed in our internet use/devices.

Message 261 of 595
richardw001
Guide

I would hope that netgear at least post some update today before close of business - in my opinion this router should not be still for sale whilel the issue is unresolved

Message 262 of 595
Tally100
Tutor

Been following this thread as mine's been rubbish on 2.4 for about 6 weeks , getting grief from wife and family. Just out of shop 12 month warranty so cant take it back for a refund. It has 12 months Negear warranty left bit it seems they cant fix it at present so no point talking to them, pity as its been rock solid for 10 months. I dont want to have to replace a £150 router after 12 months and i'm rather disappointed in this at the moment.

Message 263 of 595
chrisgtl
Aspirant

My old D7000 also broke for no reason mid-November. I noticed my Philips Hue hub flashing on the internet LED, only rebooting the router would bring the Hue back fully online.

I highly recommend the Archer VR2800. Brilliant range over the D7000, and no obvious firmware issues.
Message 264 of 595
Mat13
Aspirant

I'm also having issues since 2 days on 2.4 GHz. wired no issues.

I do not have chromecast. Nothing really changed as I can remember, although I am on auto firmware updates and I might have updated my firmware a couple of days ago.

Upgraded to V1.0.9.18_1.2.27 right now, but this doesn't seem to resolve my problems

Pls support.

Message 265 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

I have been running the beta firmware since Friday afternoon without any major issues. Right after installing the firmware I did have an issue with my IP camera not connecting but rebooting the router resolved it. I was streaming a film from my laptop (2.4Ghz) to my Chromecast (5Ghz) on Saturday night and had quite a lot of stuttering which was strange as I get quite good speeds with FTTC. This morning Netgear emailed me asking to revert back to version 38 which I have just done. It seems like the beta firmware still hasn't resolved the problem. The saga continues I guess. Maybe others could try version 38 and report their feedback.
Message 266 of 595
Vicmexican
Aspirant

Mate! You're luckier than most here. Take that new router back and get your money back! Go buy non netgear, there is a few recommendations on this thread
Message 267 of 595
OriginalJB
Tutor

@Brum80 wrote:
I have been running the beta firmware since Friday afternoon without any major issues. Right after installing the firmware I did have an issue with my IP camera not connecting but rebooting the router resolved it. I was streaming a film from my laptop (2.4Ghz) to my Chromecast (5Ghz) on Saturday night and had quite a lot of stuttering which was strange as I get quite good speeds with FTTC. This morning Netgear emailed me asking to revert back to version 38 which I have just done. It seems like the beta firmware still hasn't resolved the problem. The saga continues I guess. Maybe others could try version 38 and report their feedback.

I'm not smart: just to be clear - you were told and suggest us to go from 54 all the way back to 38?  I've found the download. Just want to be sure I understand before I install it.  Thanks

Message 268 of 595
Ltr_az
Aspirant

I too have the 2.4GHz drop issue on my D7000.  Not sure which FW revision this started to happen.  I am updated to verson 54 (the latest).  When this happens in addition to 2.4GHz not being accessible the LAN ports do not route correctly.  My printer has both Ethernet and WIFI connections and when 2.4 drops I cannot ping my printer through LAN.  Comes back as non reachable.  I have tried 2.4 auto channel select and fixing the channel to low, mid, high values without any change.  Every 1 to 3 days 2.4 dies and LAN will not resolve.

Message 269 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

So I have been testing version 38 firmware as requested by Netgear support but it's faulty firmware and doesn't action DHCP reservations. I therefore can't access my IP camera's so I am reverting back to the beta firmware. I'm a little annoyed as Matt Chang from Netgear said this firmware didn't have the DHCP issue and it obviously has. I emailed him earlier today but have had no response.
Message 270 of 595
boiledfrog
Tutor

I have been testing firmware with Netgear and, while it doesn't exhibit the WiFi authentication issues we all started to see from Nov/Dec 17, I am still seeing dropouts on 2.4 that interfere with streaming services and some unusual IP connection behaviour (not routing consistently between devices on home subnet).

I am aware that the engineering team are operating from Taipei which is GMT +8 (I am in the UK, GMT +0) and this does make for some rather asymmetric email conversations!
Message 271 of 595
farthing
Aspirant

My router just started doing this as well, I think it started in Nov/Dec.

Latest Firmware. Factory Resets, Password Changes, the whole shebang. Nothing helps but rebooting the router.

Sadly my router is approaching the 2yo age bracket, so I guess no warranty.

Only the 2.4Ghz drops, 5 works fine, LAN works fine and I'm able to access the GUI/Genie on a wired/5Ghz device just fine.

Just adding another post here...

Message 272 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

Good morning All (Australia ie GMT +10),

I have been testing the latest version of the beta/trial FW since 21:15 08 Jan and it is now 07:41 10 Jan.

As a test last night (09 Jan at 22:20) I shut off three connected laptops and one WiFi extender leaving the only 2.4 connected device being my android phone which has the 4G data turned off.

This morning my phone was still connected and accessing the internet and I progressively started up the three laptops. Each automatically connected to 2.4 and were able to process on the internet.

I also started the extender and it automatically connected to 2.4.

So the D7000 with this test FW has been operating for 34 hours without fault.

I, too, am liaising with Matt Chang in Taiwan (GMT +7) which complicates communication. He, and his team, have been very helpful even though they must be under extreme pressure to resolve this issue.

I hope the other testers of this FW are having the same positive results.

Message 273 of 595

@farthing wrote:

My router just started doing this as well, I think it started in Nov/Dec.

Just to clarify things, you refer to your router, the D7000 is a modem/router.

If you have the D7000 you are in the right place. If you have an R7000 there is a separate discussion about the woes with that one.

Message 274 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

I'm still confused why Matt asked me to downgrade to version 38, seems as though there is an issue with the beta version?? It seemed fairly stable whilst I was testing though. It all seems to of gone quiet from Netgear staff on this forum too. 278 posts and still no resolution. And I might have a router/modem .......but I still call it a router.
Message 275 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7