Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

tbon3
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

This has been going on for way too long without any sign that Netgear are adressing the problem.

Sorry Netgear you have lost a customer. I wnet to a local store and picked up a TP-Link VR600 and now by home internet is back working the way it *SHOULD* be. 

I'll wait to see what happens with the D7000 but eBay looks like the best option.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 126 of 595
weeman247
Tutor

T have changed my 2.4ghz channel to 11 and so far so good. But I have a feeling this will be temp fix. Bought smart plugs which aren't cheap and they keep dropping out which is annoying.
Message 127 of 595
DuteMan
Star

Hello Again,

So my router, made in China was a little hot so I put laptop cooling tray with fans under it.  No 2.4ghz failures for almost 24hours.  Today it failed.  My logs are totally useless.  I'm on v54 which had ZERO impact on stability.  My advice to you all is to replace.  I'm looking around.

Message 128 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

Just curious is the replacement D7000 with firmware version V1.0.0.38_1.0.1.still working? I am running the V54 and it isn't working for the 2.4GHZ. I thought I would load the V1.0.0.38_1.0.1. and replace the V54 firmware and hopefully it will resolve the 2.4 GHZ issue.

Message 129 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

I'm another one with the 2.4ghz issue. My iPhone keeps disconnecting and when I try to connect, it doesn't accept the password. I've tried forgetting the network and re-adding but it takes a reboot to resolve. I also loose access to my two IP cameras. I'm running version 52 firmware at the moment and as I'm out of warranty I'm playing the waiting game for a fix. I'm lucky to have a Draytek access point which now provides 2.4ghz wifi which I've disabled on the Netgear. Like others, I will never buy or recommend Netgear products again.
Message 130 of 595
dajones9686
Aspirant

so I reinstalled firmware 4.8 and haven't dropped the 2.4 in 36 hours....will let everyone know if it continues to work!
Message 131 of 595
dajones9686
Aspirant

sorry 1.48 it is getting late!
Message 132 of 595
massig
Guide

Well - I received a D 7000 V2 from Netgear (made in Vietnam) - it looks cheaper than the original one as it is missing the red WAN port and the switch to turn the LEDs off.

Not off to a good start  - as firmware update v45 ... installed and it is actually 44... 

Everytime I check firmware update - says there is an update to 45 ... but when installs it is 44 ... 

Let's see if the 2.4 Ghz stays up.

Message 133 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@DuteMan wrote:

Hello Again,

So my router, made in China was a little hot so I put laptop cooling tray with fans under it.  No 2.4ghz failures for almost 24hours.  Today it failed.  My logs are totally useless.  I'm on v54 which had ZERO impact on stability.  My advice to you all is to replace.  I'm looking around.

I don't think is a hardware issue as R7000 (same router but without the DSL modem) who have this exact issue and change to a non-Netgear firmware (which we can't do on the D7000) have no 2.4Ghz issues.

Message 134 of 595
Retired_Member
Not applicable

UPDATE:

In response GlennD, surprisingly my Chinese made D7000 with firmware 38 is still running without any failures since I first set it up. It's been about a week now, and I'm almost feeling confident (not ENTIRELY confident) that I got a good one. 

I definitely won't be upgrading firmware until everybody on this thread gets one that works or the problem is definitely identified. 

Message 135 of 595

Not off to a good start  - as firmware update v45 ... installed and it is actually 44... 

Everytime I check firmware update - says there is an update to 45 ... but when installs it is 44 ... 

That's a bug that others have spotted. It has happened before on other devices. There seems to be a mismatch between the version that the firmware reports and the one that shows up in the update system.

Re: D7000v2 firmware update v1.0.0.45 will NOT ins... - NETGEAR Communities

The Netgear folks have been alerted. Quote when they will respond is anyone's guess.

Message 136 of 595
massig
Guide

Raging
The new v2 made in Vietnam, already tripped.
8 hours in and all the devices are disconnected.
In fact even worse than the previous one. The 5ghz also does not work

Netgear truly is a disgrace! Why can't they say anything on this forum and admit what has gone wrong??

Back to support...
Ideally I want money to purchase an alternative router from a different brand.
Message 137 of 595
slain2
Tutor

Same issue for me on 2.4Ghz

Can I get my money back?

Message 138 of 595
gdowns
Aspirant

Same problem as the rest of you - 2.4GHz wifi has stopped working but 5GHz working fine (but some of my devices are too old to use it). Have religiously kept up with firmware updates - definitely a mistake in this case! Have reverted to version .48 and everything fine. Netgear need to sort this problem out fast and let people know it is fixed so that the latest security updates can be applied.

Message 139 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

That's interesting the reverting to version 48 fixed the problem as that is where I was when everything failed. Still no official work from Netgear, Such a shame that a well respected company like netgear would turn there back on their customers.

I have been looking for a (non cable) Dual Band AC DSL modem /router from any other manufacturer and I can't find one with comporable features. My DSL service is with Centurylink so I am limited. is it has to be ADSL/ADSL compatabile.Anybody out there got any suggestions as I am tired of waiting for Netgear who seems to want to ignore the issue.Thank goodness my 5GHZ still is solid.

Message 140 of 595
Iru786
Aspirant

Hi,

Just got my D7000 delivered from Amazon today and i have having exactly the same issue. Specially with my mobile phones. The WiFi keeps on dropping

Even when i connect to the wifi, it says no internet for few seconds and gets connected after a bit.

I have updated to the latest firmware.

Message 141 of 595

@Iru786 wrote:
I have updated to the latest firmware.

Many of the complaints here about wifi are from people who did just that.

It may be what caused your problems.

Some people have restored their sanity, and wifi, by rolling back to earlier firmware.

Message 142 of 595
Iru786
Aspirant

Thanks.. Which version would you recommend rolling back to?

Also any ideas if "Connected. No Internet" for few seconds after connecting to Wi-Fi issue is related to the firmware as well?

Message 143 of 595

@Iru786 wrote:

Thanks.. Which version would you recommend rolling back to?

No idea. You could spend a bit of time reading this discussion.

Also any ideas if "Connected. No Internet" for few seconds after connecting to Wi-Fi issue is related to the firmware as well?

Maybe. But it could also be the wifi client negotiating a connection.

Message 144 of 595
Brum80
Apprentice

If you've just bought this router my advice would be to return it as soon as possible and look for a different brand.

I thought version 38 firmware had a bug with DHCP reservations not working? And version 48 for me was giving me wifi issues hence I upgraded to version 52. I'm lucky in that I've disabled 2.4ghz on my Netgear and I'm using a Draytek access point now.
Message 145 of 595
Al94
Apprentice

Can I suggest we all email Patrick Lo, CEO of Netgear and one of its founders patrick.lo@netgear.com

Might start to provoke some sort of response.

Message 146 of 595

Twitter @netgear might be more visible to the wider world.

Seems to be "manned" by teenagers. (Does anyone still say "awesome"?) But pile on the messages and you may get somewhere.

Some people have already piled in with R7000 issues.

Beginning to look like a horror movie.

Message 147 of 595
gdowns
Aspirant

Spoke too soon. Reverting to version 48 (from 54) seems to lessen the problem but it doesn't go away. Woke up this morning to the "Connected, no internet" message on the 2.4GHz band for the notebook I was using. Switched to 5GHz and no problem. Noticed that my phone still happy with the 2.4GHz band so have just switched the notebook back to 2.4GHz and it connected fine. This is a bizarrely random problem! At least with version 48 I am not having to reboot the router so frequently (so far).

Message 148 of 595
DuteMan
Star

I continue to have issues with 2.4ghz band.  Last couple days my 5ghz band has dropped everything.  Anyone else have that issue?  Maybe its just a blip but seem suspicious.

Message 149 of 595
yalson
Star

I am having the same issues. Updated firmware a while back and have seen the issue on devices which can only connect on the 2.4GHz band. Have tried various actions, such as disabling the 5GHz band, which still left me with connection issues on the 2.4GHz band. Yesterday I downgraded the firmware to .48 (along with factory resetting the router post-downgrade) and it ran for just over 24hrs before needing a re-boot. Have set the 2.4GHz band to switch off during the night on a daily basis to see if this will help moving forward.

Has anyone heard anything on when this is going to be fixed?

@netgear twitter posts don't appear to be being responded to either.

Message 150 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7