Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4ghz issue, disconnecting

dRbGear
Apprentice

Nighthawk D7000 2.4ghz issue, disconnecting

I purchased this router in July, I set it up using the Wizard, changed network name, password etc and that's it, the router has work flawlessly since then with out a single dropout, in the past week 2.4ghz has stopped working properly, I've restarted the router multiple times, changed channel to the least crowded using a WiFi scanner, I've updated firmware to the latest one, done a full factory reset but it still keeps dropping connections and then not letting the devices reconnect, I've restarted the router 4 times today, 5ghz works fine, I have 4 Google homes, 2 Firesticks, 2 xbox ones and my phone connected to 5ghz, my wife's phone only uses 2.4ghz as do my kids tablets and the Wii u, it's very annoying that this keeps happening to a £130 router after just over 4 months of flawless service, the channel has always been on Auto before it started failing, it was happening before I updated the firmware, the only reason I knew there was I new firmware was because I had to log into the router to see what was up with it, the router home screen says 2.4ghz is fine but it's not, the factory reset lasted a day at most, is this router under warranty as I'm convinced it's a hardware fault having tried multiple things to get it working..How can it work perfectly for all this time then suddenly stop? I did buy a Phillips Hue Bridge with two bulbs, this is connected via ethernet, a week later the problem started, I thought it might of been interfering with it but I've left it totally disconnected and powered off so it just a coincidence that it happened around the same time of purchase, I'm not willing to buy another router.. Thanks
Message 1 of 97
BradR7000
Star

Message 2 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Is the d7000 the same as the r7000?
Message 3 of 97
BradR7000
Star

No it is not.  I appologize!  My brain registered a R and not a D for some reason.  Even though they are differenent models, maybe the firmware is similar.  I would keep an eye one the other threads to see if they come up with a fix.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 97
gmccr
Aspirant

Hi, I have the R7000 model and have the same 2.4ghz  issue, where the 5g has mainly worked. It may have started when I upgraded to the version of firmware that was being offered about two weeks ago prior to the current version (V1.0.9.14_1.2.25) that I upgraded to a few days ago. 

At this point, I'm looking to downgrade my firmware to see if that helps.

Message 5 of 97
GraemeM-S
Guide

Hi, That's strange, exactly same thing is happening to me. Brought the router back in July, had to change the first one as it kept losing the DNS addresses, the second one has worked flawlessly untill a couple of weeks ago, when I noticed that the 2.4GHz channel had stopped working. As soft reboot fixed the problem, but noticed the frequency of it happening is starting to increase. I upgraded the firmware when I first installed (.50) so dont thiink it is that. The 5GHz keeps working fine. Thinking it's a H/W problem

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 6 of 97
GraemeM-S
Guide

R is for Router (expects to connect to the internet via Ethernet), D is for DSL ( expects to connect to the internet via a phone line). Would assume the wireless technology in the box to be the same
Message 7 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

It must be a hardware issue, 2 people with the same router in 2 completely different environments can't be having identical issues unless it was hardware, funnily enough we have had it roughly the same amount of time, have you made any progress in regards to contacting crapgear about it? There must be at least a 12 month warranty?
Message 8 of 97
gmccr
Aspirant

Downgraded to V1.0.9.10_1.2.21 - did not help, turned off "beamforming" and "airtime fairness", will reboot to see if that helps, then will look at if any recently added devices are messing with the signal.  Did not have "smart connect" enabled. Probably will connect one of my older routers to proivde 2.4ghz service.  Will eventually contact Netgear support when I have the time and patience. Router was purchased over two years ago so getting a replacment that way probably not doeable.

Message 9 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

It's got to be hardware or the flash chip that stores the firmware is corrupting the settings or function of the 2.4ghz? It's odd that it worked perfect for months and now fails, I can see the network, I have 100% signal it just fails authentication, if I use the genre app to turn the guest WiFi off the primary 2.4ghz starts to work, next time it fails I have to turn the guest back on which makes it work again, soft rebooting and powering off then in also works
Message 10 of 97
evanzel
Aspirant

I am in a similar situation. My D7000 worked flawlessly for about 5 months and now it keeps disconnecting the wireless. The 2.4ghz just fails a few times a day, every day, but in my case it automatically comes back after 2 minutes. It is very annoying.

I have contacted support but have yet received no answer.

Message 11 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

One thing I've tried is turning the speed down from 600mbps to 289 I think, it's lasted a whole day without failing but I shouldn't have to do that
Message 12 of 97
Tomhurst
Apprentice

I have also in the past week had this issue. I've had the router for over a year without issues, and now the 2.4ghz is dropping every day and refusing connections. I've updated firmwares, factory reset, changed channels. Nothing is working!
Message 13 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

So how do we go about getting replacements? How long is the warranty?
Message 14 of 97
Ronnii71
Guide

I m having the same problems. Have only started in the last 2 weeks. Would really love some help with it.
Message 15 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Is it hardware or a virus maybe? Is it possible for a virus to attack a router? It's funny how we are all having a similar problem around the same time?
Message 16 of 97
Jon81
Star

It's more likely to be something to do with a specific date triggering something in the firmware (think millennium bug) than a virus.
Message 17 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Well after trying contact Netgear with no luck I've decided to buy another router, I won't be buying Netgear products anymore and I've told all my family and friends not to bother
Message 18 of 97
GraemeM-S
Guide

Hi, what did you buy?
Message 19 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

I just bought a cheap TP- link router from Argos for £30, I figured if it dies I will be able to take it back unlike Ebay
Message 20 of 97
blackholepcs
Initiate

I bought the same router in May or June and just the last couple of weeks have been having the exact same issue with my 2.4Ghz. This is obviously a date-related firmware issue, possibly a built-in upgrade push. For the cost of these things, they better fix this issue and quick.

Message 21 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

I hope so, my new back in its box now until they sort something, see how long this crappy tp link will last 😂
Message 22 of 97
Ronnii71
Guide

So I've just sent off an email to support here in Australia letting them know what is happening. I shall keep updated if they respond with anything of interest!  

Message 23 of 97
GraemeM-S
Guide

Might be something or nothing, but my Mrs has been away from the house for the past 5 days and I've not had any drops of the Wifi network since. I did read another post about the R7000, which is experiencing the same problem and that someone noted his Samsung phone was the first device to drop. My Mrs has a Samsung phone and it did get an update just prior to the Wifi problem happening. Anyone else got a Samsung phone on the network? Sounds all a bit too far fetch, but you never know.
Message 24 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Both me and the Mrs have Samsung phones
Message 25 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7