Jon81
Star

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4ghz issue, disconnecting

No Samsung phones in my household.
Message 26 of 97
blackholepcs
Initiate

I do have a Samsung Note 8, and I've noticed it will kick my Denon reciever's bluetooth off of my Amazon Dot when I turn on my screen to check a message or whatever.

Now I'm wondering if it also interferes with the wi-fi.....

Message 27 of 97
ezytalk
Star

I have exactly the same issues - this unit is my second under warranty and it's doing the same thing after months of working flawlessly.. Netgear, this is not good... this forum has so many complaining about the same issue.... so what are you going to do about it???  You need to contact me to sort this out.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 28 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Me and my wife both have Samsung's, an S6 and an A3 but we owned them before we bought the router, the last updates we had were months ago so I can't see how they would be interfering? I thought it was my Phillips hue but it's not
Message 29 of 97
Pausty
Star

Hi mate.im in Australia and exact same thing happened to me.i have just sent off under warranty.i went and bought a Google wifi 3 pack system and that has worked perfectly for the last 3 days so it has to be a nighthawk hardware problem.
Message 30 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

How did you send it off? Do you have a link to follow, I looked but got lost..lol, did it start happening in the past few weeks because it seems to have happened to several people who have had them for varying amounts of time? The cheap thing I've bought has been flawless since Sunday so it's definitely not environment issues
Message 31 of 97
Pausty
Star

Ring Netgear support,they will try to get you to subscribe to there premium support package but just be firm and say no! Tell them all the tests you have done. they will then give you instructions for return.you will have to pay for shipping.i am still waiting for mine to return.super happy with the Google wifi system so don't know what to do with nighthawk now.good luck
Message 32 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

That's great mate, thanks for the advice, I don't see why we should pay for shipping when it's there product that is faulty, I'm sick of routers to be honest, the best one I ever had was a crappy hawaie from talktalk or what ever, had that 3 years, had things downloading and streaming all the time till it finally burnt out and stopped working altogether..ha
Message 33 of 97
Ronnii71
Guide

What is the Google system you bought? I'm in Australia too and would be looking at something new.
Message 34 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

I'd just keep the Netgear as backup incase your Google dies
Message 35 of 97
Pausty
Star

It's called Google wifi.type that in good guys or JB hi-fi website for info.i have 5 Google homes and 3 Chromecast so i thought it made sense to get this.so far it's awesome.very simple to set up too!
Message 36 of 97
Pausty
Star

Yeah I think I will.cheers
Message 37 of 97
Ronnii71
Guide

Sweet thanks. I'll check it out today.
Message 38 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Look at us all going off to buy other routers, haha, if anyone is having this issue and is just reading this, do yourself a favour and just buy a different router 👌👌
Message 39 of 97
Pausty
Star

Lol...I have always had Netgear but it really upset me when they asked me for money to help me fix there faulty product which still had 1.5 years warranty! Wtf!
Message 40 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Not good my mate, first time I've owned Netgear, kind of put me off for life, sounds dramatic but when you've got a house full of kids telling you YouTube isn't working or Xbox live keeps disconnecting its very frustrating! 😭
Message 41 of 97
johnmcl7
Apprentice

This has been doing my head in particularly as I couldn't twig why one laptop in particular was being affected by this more than others but I hadn't noticed it's because it's the only one on 2.4Ghz and the others are on 5Ghz.  The Chromecast and Fire Stick which also don't work when this issue is happening, are also on 2.4Ghz.  I've changed the Fire Stick over to 5Ghz but unfortunately the Chromecast and laptop don't do 5ghz, the laptop seems very restrictive over what network cards it can take.

The issue sounds the same as decribed by others here in that it's only started happening over the last few months although I can't think of what could have triggered it.  I do have a Samsung Note 8 but it was happening before that, I also added a Galaxy Tab A to the network but I'm sure this problem was happening before that as well.  I have I expect the usual range of devices on the network, I have a TP-Link powerline network as well although I can't see that would affect 2.4Ghz on the router.

For those encountering the issue, is it only affecting the 2.4Ghz devices or is the issue wider?  I've read through the replies but some of the posts suggest it's wider than just the 2.4Ghz devices.  In my case the 2.4Ghz devices drop the connection and refuse to connect, Windows attempts to connect for some time then gives up with an error that it's unable to connect while other devices like the Fire Stick and Chromecast are unable to connect and ask to check the wifi details.  At this point the router is still working fine for the 5Ghz and wired ethernet devices but nothing I do on the 2.4Ghz devices makes any difference until I restart the router at which point they connect again for around a day and it starts again.

One extreme option I'm considering at the moment is to hook up an older router and just set it up as a 2.4Ghz wireless access point to keep the 2.4Ghz devices working for now although I can't seem to find a way to disable 2.4Ghz entirely on the D7000.  Anyone else looked into this option?

Message 42 of 97
Pausty
Star

Hi, its only the 2.4ghz that is playing up. Its definitely a hardware issue as my new google wifi system hasn't missed a beat. Netgear are swapping my d7000 for a new one but from what I have read in another forum is the same problem occurred in the replacement as well. Hence I bought a new system. This also did my head in trying to work this out. I did a factory reset, updated, to know to prevail. Good luck
Message 43 of 97
GraemeM-S
Guide

Another 2.4GHz drop this morning, before rebooting I captured the log (Attached), which shows the log file filled with multiple DHCP requests from 192.168.2.66 (this is wired PC, which is not impacted by the 2.4Ghz wireless channel drop), this is obviously not right. Fed up with the lack of any progress from Netgear, I work from home so this router is going back and I'm going for another make. Bye Bye Netgear

Message 44 of 97
Pausty
Star

I feel your pain. Netgear should really consider a d7000 product recall to save there reputation. I went the google wi fi system. So far so good but very limited software functions but maybe that a good thing.
Message 45 of 97
Tomhurst
Apprentice

I doubt they need to recall them as mine worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years. It's got to be a date related firmware issue as we all got issues around the same time. Are they even trying to fix it!?
Message 46 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Well this little tp link router has been great, it's early days but the wireless range is just as good as the d7000, it doesn't have 5ghz but I don't care, the whole house is up and running again, cost £30
Message 47 of 97
ezytalk
Star

Hello Everyone - Just spoke with lovely lady from Netgear Support based in the Philippines. With very little discussion, I have had my D7000 replaced and I did not have to pay for the return freight charges. I had to negotiate but in the end this will be my fourth (4th) device since purchasing from a retailer just on 12 months ago. Aside from the original, the unit was replaced in March 2017, June 2017 and now December 2017. I believe that Netgear know there is a problem with this model, but are very quiet about why they are replcing so many of them. I made it very clear that Netgear could find themselves in court as we have very strict consumer laws in Australia. I asked very direct questions eg. is there an inherent fault with the manufacturer??? The girl did not give me a complete answer except to say that the new units currently manufactured have a better wireless design. Her assurance was that the new unit will perform better - she gave me her word!!! Interesting. I have always had good performance from previous Netgear products, but this model is really terrible.... the fact that there was little troubleshooting (and the fact that I was on my game with firmware updates, hard resetting the D7000 and other troubleshooting before I rang support, suggests to me that Netgear are very aware of this models poor performance, particularly when it comes to continual wireless dropping out, ethernet ports not working and the like..... and the time it takes to connect to ADSL is outrageous. Still I am stuck with the new unit until I can afford to buy a different brand - perhaps Asus.... NBN is on it's way to me so maybe I can wait until then... as long as the replacement D7000 keeps running... LOL
Message 48 of 97
Dave5678
Aspirant

I purchased this in October, I have been getting similar issues as well! My wireless internet keeps dropping both on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network. However i tried connecting with my ethernet on my PS4 and laptop and it works perfectly no disconnections whatsover.

Message 49 of 97
GraemeM-S
Guide

As said on previous post, fed up with the lack of progress from Netgear to even acknowledge the problem, work from home so this was real issue for me. Returned D7000 to PC World and went for the Asus DSL-AC88U. Hats of to PC World even after 3 months there was a no quibble conversation, could even have had my money back or exchange for something else. Asus be running now for 4 days no drops. Only issue was having to set the 2.4GB channel to 20Mhz only to support some older devices.
Message 50 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7