Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

3leftturnsright
Aspirant

Well that'w worrying.

Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup. After clicking Apply, took 42 seconds for the progress bar to finish and return to the configuration page.

Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup. After clicking Apply, took 57 seconds for the progress bar to finish and return to the configuration page. Timed twice with the same results.

Advanced -> Setup -> QoS Setup. After clicking Apply, took 21 seconds for the "Please wait a moment" icon to finish and return to the configuration page. Timed twice with the same results.

Also just to clarify - the router isn't forcing me to redo settings after changing firmware. Netgear Reps say that not doing so is a possible cause of malfunctions, I do it to rule out that possibility.

I'm having the same issues on V1.0.0.38_1.0.1 - address reservation not working and delays in applying (about 57 seconds on LAN Setup page). No issues before upgrading to this firmware...

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 51 of 106
bobjane
Star

My D7000 always took about a minute to save each settings page. It was the same with 1.0.0.32, 34 and 38.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-takes-a-long-time-to-apply-configuration-s...

According to this person it's normal to take so long.

@GTunney wrote:

I'd say you've got something else wrong with your router. Not once have I had to re-do any settings when I've upgraded or downgraded a firmware. Also mine doesn't take 1 min to apply settings. Click submit and it's done in seconds. 

This guy saves in seconds.

Netgear's tech support "Expert" wanted to know the name of my ISP adn the speed of my connection...

I'm having the same issues on V1.0.0.38_1.0.1 - address reservation not working and delays in applying (about 57 seconds on LAN Setup page). No issues before upgrading to this firmware...

And now you've only got the delay only since 1.0.0.38.

Message 52 of 106
3leftturnsright
Aspirant

Strange stuff. If it helps, I'm not using the DSL modem component, just the router; I'm on Comcast 25 Mbps.

Message 53 of 106
GTunney
Apprentice

I've not upgraded to .38 yet to test out the delay in applying to settings.

I don't see any point until they address the DHCP Reservation issue.

But as far as things go on .32 no delays for me.

Message 54 of 106
nzsteve
Aspirant

What is really hard to understand is that this problem was first reported back in May and there is no fix distributed. It is now August and netgear still have the bad firmware release loaded on their web site and routers popping up across the world with messages suggesting to users it be installed. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot on the reputation front.

😞

Message 55 of 106
TheJohnson
Tutor

Also have an issue with DHCP reservation as well as occasional loss of LAN connectivity from PC or Mobile Phone.

Message 56 of 106
TheJohnson
Tutor

... freezing/lockup to the list Smiley Frustrated

Message 57 of 106
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

We are working on the issue to fix this in the next firmware right now you can use the .32 firmware which does not have this issue or if you would like I can get a trial firmware for you to test that is suppose to correct this issue just private message me if you would like this.

DarrenM

Message 58 of 106
TheJohnson
Tutor

Thanks for the reply Darren.

Is there any indication of the new firmware release date?

Message 59 of 106
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TheJohnson

I do not have a ETA on this yet.

DarrenM

Message 60 of 106
3leftturnsright
Aspirant

I believe I found a bug with the V1.0.0.38_1.0.1_lanip_reserve firmware - my dynamic DNS (noip.com) is updating every host on my account, rather than the specific one targeted.

Message 61 of 106
Jessy30
Aspirant

How is this downgrade done?
Message 62 of 106
ratsalad
Star

@Jessy30 wrote:
How is this downgrade done?

get the 1.0.0.32 file from here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000-V1.0.0.32_1.0.1.zip and extract the .img file from it.

Then login to your router and go to:

Advanced > Administration > Firmware upgrade, click browse on the left of the main screen and browse to your downloaded and extracted .img file select it then click the green upload button

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 63 of 106
tothinator
Aspirant

Any word on fixes for this in newer firmware?

I am sitting tight with the .32 version till I hear it's resolved

Message 64 of 106
Drafty
Aspirant

thanks ratsalad

Message 65 of 106
GTunney
Apprentice

I can not believe that nearly 4 months on this issue has still not been resolved with a new firmware release. For a company as big as Netgear and such a critical function of a router you'd have thought this would be addressed ASAP.

LAN IP reservations are quite an important feature for many home users and something you simply don't mess up then take 4 months to resolve. It should have been fixed within the week or any offending firmware updates revoked. The fact 1.0.38 still exits on the website available for download amazes me.

Do the decent thing netgear, pull .38 and solve the bloody problem!!!

Message 66 of 106

I came across this thread whilst researching the side effects of an "upgrade" from .32 to .38.

This post:-

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Guest-network-not-isolated-D7000-firmware-V1-0-0...

describes the original problem, the address reservation issue resulting from the "upgrade", and includes a link to the negative review I have posted on Amazon.

The D7000 is a most disappointing product.  I shall not be buying NetGear products again.

A.

Message 67 of 106
bobjane
Star

At first I thought - I'd rather wait than for Netgear to release another "fix" like 1.0.0.38 without fixing any of the issues and without doing any testing.

However it's been more than 3 months since 1.0.0.34 was pulled and still no restoration of basic functionality.

Zero software support and zero tech support. They literally just take your money and that's it.

I also will not buy another Netgear product.

Message 68 of 106
Nrg91
Aspirant

Agree with the other users, it is shameful that Netgear has not yet solved the problem ip reservation after more than 4 months, especially for a high-end device, such as d7000

Probably I will not buy more Netgear's router

Message 69 of 106
nzsteve
Aspirant

I've only had good service from Netgear in the past so this is a surprise given this model is still being sold.

The R7000, which is essentially the same model but without the DSL modem, seems to receive a lot more attention. It is hard understand why there is a delay in fixing such a basic issue. Making maters worse the autoupdate feature still references the .38 release.

It is only fair to add that this device until the latest firmware hiccup has been a brilliant router. Great speed, stability, and wifi coverage.  

Perhaps someone from Netgear can update the situation and appease the increasingly large number of frustrated customers.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 70 of 106
Drafty
Aspirant

Oh well, I said F it and returned it. bought a tp link and wouldn't you know, it work right out of the box and no problems. Granted it is slower than the r7000, but it works.

Message 71 of 106
ukoldgit
Apprentice

Hi all.

I've been using the test firmware V1.0.0.38_1.0.1_lanip_reserve since about July 19th and can confirm the address reservation is working.

I couldnt go back to version 32 as this had a problem with streaming mp4 via dlna but but version 38 and this test firmware already had a cure for that.

Alas I also had a hardware fault but managed to get the D7000 replaced by netgear (it was locking up).

All this has made me a bit apprehensive about Netgear especially as you only get 30 days free support.

Message 72 of 106
bobjane
Star

The 30 days of free support wasn't good for anything anyway. Although I do get what you're saying - no other manufacturer imposes time limits on tech support. What a joke this is.

The self proclaimed "expert" didn't even read my ticket before copy&pasting completely irrelevant scripted responses.

A complete waste of time.

Message 73 of 106

Message 74 of 106
bobjane
Star

An update for people subscribed to this thread.

1.0.0.42 was released on September 28th:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31219

Release notes make no mention of the outstanding issues from previous versions.

Had a quick look at the firmware section of the forum. Already threads popping up about erroneous warnings on wifi security.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-UK-firmware-updated-to-V1-0-1-42-1-0-1/m-p...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-New-Firmware-1-0-1-42-1-0-1/m-p/1146287#U1...

Seems Netgear skimped on testing yet again.

Will give 1.0.0.42 a try when I have time for the whole factory reset + manual reconfigure routine.

Funnily enough, LAN IP reservation stopped working in the latest D7800 firmware:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Latest-Firmware-has-broken-LAN-IP-Address-Reserv...

Message 75 of 106
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7