Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 DSL modem router AT&T DSL only works on FW 1.0.0.18

kyle7161975
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7000 DSL modem router AT&T DSL only works on FW 1.0.0.18

I know this issue has been discussed on here but so far the only solution has been to keep this 4 year old FW version which does not benefit from all the releases after this version. I bought my modem in October of 2018 and had this problem where only the power light would come on but it was orange. Netgear support was no help besides telling me to send it back and get a new one. I had Netgear send me a new one and the exact same issue arose. I began searching all over the internet before finding a forum that said to lower my FW version to 1.0.0.18 so I did and everything worked. I contacted Netgear again and informed them of the situation so they created a ticket. Well, they closed that ticket a month later with no resolution. Since then, I have just dealt with the FW from 2015 and the internet dropping out but I am fed up with Netgear not addressing this issue when so many people are experiencing the same issue. There are about 10 FW updates since 1.0.0.18 that include patches and security updates that I am unable to install because my Netgear Nighthawk D7000 AC1900 which I paid around $230 last year will not connect to the internet with any updated FW newer than 2015. How can those who are experienceing the same thing as me get Netgear to correct this issue?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Have you tried the custom 3rd party firmware (presuming you have a D7000v1)? Unlike what Netgear does this stuff tends to work and also enhances function and reliability.

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

Message 2 of 6
tominwi
Luminary

That's the first I've seen of an alt firmware for the D7000 and so is very interesting of course given that in theory Netgear will no longer update the v1, but I can't seem to find any list of features of it. Do you or anyone have any links other than github where it's presented and/or discussed?

EDIT: After some more surfing I found some good discussion here:

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/issues/50

which includes this tidbit from poster m0lz:

"...with the official netgear firmware my family used to occasionally experience what seemed to be the router locking up. It used to happen maybe once every couple of weeks, or sometimes it would be a few month before it happened, but when it happened we needed to restart the router to clear the issue.

We have not experienced that issue at all since starting using your firmware updates, and regularly we can have up to 16 devices connected by WIFI plus a WIFI extender upstairs.

You have clearly fixed a lot more underlying issues with this firmware, that we would not have received from Netgear."

I continue to experience occasional lockups with standard latest v70 firmware exactly as m0lz reported, so will want to try the ancistrus package for sure, when I am able to mess with it (soon I hope).

Thanks w3wilkes for posting this!

Message 3 of 6
tominwi
Luminary

I did today apply the Ancistrus firmware mentioned by w3wilkes and was glad to see that the firmware installed over my v70 without any issues i.e. I didn't have to do anything but wait for the install to complete. Further, it's stated in the fw wiki that any Netgear factory firmware can be reverted-to at any time from the ancistrus builds.

Hope it works--my router did coincidentally lock-up just this morning before I was able to make the update!

Message 4 of 6
kyle7161975
Aspirant

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to download that 3rd party firmware until today. It does the exact same thing all the other firmware's from Netgear do. I will have no internet connection LAN or Wireless. As soon as I revert back to the .18 firmware, my internet is back up. What really sucks is Netgear support closed my ticket because they thought the 3rd party firmware was the solution for my issue. How can Netgear be comfortable with a 3rd party firmware being a solution for their product? That is insane. Especially after how much I spent on my modem / router. I had Netgear send me a replacement when I got my first one in the mail because it was doing the exact same thing that this one is doing. It's clearly a firmware issue and not a modem issue. I'm tired of netgear not fixing the issue and they just close the tickets because they dont know how to fix it. Looks like it's time to file a complaint with either the BBB or FCC
Message 5 of 6
tominwi
Luminary

Well I've never seen anything about this and so suspect your best bet is to go-back to the forum(s) where you saw the "stick with .18" originally and work with those folks. Feels like a compatibility issue with AT&T DSL...maybe an AT&T forum or DSLreports will have more to say.

Netgear employees are rare as hen's teeth here for sure.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7