Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk-D7000 Periodically stops working, but still shows connection

Kyle01
Follower

Nighthawk-D7000 Periodically stops working, but still shows connection

This started about 3-4 months ago. Randomly, usually once a week, all our devices would lose internet connection. We would check the router and lights still show that it's working and that it's receiving and sending just fine. One time when this happened, I tried unplugging the DSL cable to see if it changes any of the lights, but nothing happened. When I unplugged the DSL cable, the lights still showed that the DSL cable was plugged in and that everything was working. There doesn't appear to be any straight-forward cause; it happens regardless of the time, or the amount of people connected. A couple times when this has happened, I just tried to wait it out and see if it fixes itself over time, but after 4ish hours it still is not working. The only fix we've found is to restart it, but it seems to only be a temporary solution. The only thing I've checked is if there was a firmware update, but our router is currently on V1.0.1.74_1.0.1, and I think that's the most recent version. We've had this router for a little over 4 years, so I'm not sure if we just need to buy a new one or if this is a common issue and I'm just missing something? When it comes to routers and networking, I'm not as savvy about it, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If your device is a D7000(v1) (there's no "V" designation on the v1) you could try the 3rd party firmware that is said to be much more reliable than the Netgear firmware. It can be found here;

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases/download/605/D7000-V1.0.1.74_1.0.1-ancistrus_negan07-b...

Message 2 of 5
gimigimi
Aspirant

Hey Bud,

I had the same problem and it was bothering me so much, from my years back of Linux experience I recalled that if servers times are not in sync servers would not connect and desync. so what you should do is go to your router settings, ADVANCED and ADMINISTRATION and NTP SETTINGS - very likely the current mentioned there is not the same time as your home or laptop or country. Click on Set your prefered NTP Server and type in a NTP server in your country. you can find one from searching google. if you are in the UK type in 1.uk.pool.ntp.org or go to https://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/europe

and find your home country you MUST also click on Automatically adjust for day light savings time and APPLY settings. I would restart the router and enjoy my NONE desyncing time from the internet. this would work on any router model.

hope this helps as it helped me.

Message 3 of 5
ccespedes11
Aspirant

hi W3wilkes.

Do you have more info on this 3rd party firmware.

Im interrested in takig a look and to see what improvements it offers.

Since reverting back to 1.0.1.74. , i get lots of buffering that i didnt experince before upgrading to 1.0.1.78.

I have a feeling when i updated and then downgraded some of the changes the newer firmware did stayed and its causing issues.

I dont want to do a full reset as I have to first save my internet provider settings but maybe i will have to..

Message 4 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

All info on the 3rd party firmware is here;

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation