Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 V2 Dropping WiFi Connections

Mike21ff
Tutor

Nighthawk D7000 V2 Dropping WiFi Connections

I have just switched broadbrand providor to Plusnet and am using a Nighthawk D7000V2 (Firmware V1.0.0.74_1.0.1) in preference to the standard router provided by Plusnet due to it's limited features.

I have the WiFi set up with SSID broadcast turned off on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels.

I also have Access Control set up to block all new devices from connecting by default, with a whitelist of trusted MAC addresses.

Everything worked OK when I first set the Nighthawk up but I now have a number of curious issues -

1. If I look at the list of attached devices in Basic\Attached Devices or Advanced\Security\Access Control several of my wired attached devices do not show up even though I know they are connected (including the desktop PC I am using to access the router setup page).
  2. The list of attached devices in Basic\Attached Devices and Advanced\Security\Access Control do not always match.
  3. I have two Sonos Play speakers connected to the 2.4 GHz channel which are permanently powered up but drop off the WiFi connection from time to time especially if they are not used for a day or so.
  4. I have an iPhone and an Android phone that do not always reconnect when I come back into range.
  5. If the Sonos Play speakers have dropped off or one of the phones refuses to reconnect I can restore the connection by going to Basic\Wireless Setup and pressing the "Apply" button without making any changes to the setup.

I had exactly the same system set up on a D-Link DSL3782 router prior to switching broadband supplier and had no issues so I am reasonably sure the rest of the hardware is OK.

Can anyone suggest how to make the system more robust - it is a nuisance having to log in to the router to restore the connections !

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: Nighthawk D7000 V2 Dropping WiFi Connections

@Mike21ff wrote:

I have just switched broadbrand providor to Plusnet and am using a Nighthawk D7000V2 (Firmware V1.0.0.74_1.0.1) in preference to the standard router provided by Plusnet due to it's limited features.

The D7000V2 is a modem/router. Is that what you are using or is it in router mode with a modem in front of it?

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 12
Mike21ff
Tutor

Hi,

Yes, I am using it as a modem/router.

I had already downloaded the manuals and upgraded to the latest firmware - as far as I can see I have everything set up correctly.

Message 3 of 12
Mike21ff
Tutor

So after some further testing I have come to the conclusion that the access control just does not work properly!

If I turn off access control all of my connected devices (wired and wireless) show up in the connected devices list, my Sonos Play speakers stay connected even when they are not in use and my phones connect to the WiFi as soon as they are in range.

Turn on access control and connected devices don't show up in the connected devices list and the WiFi connections get dropped / won't reconnect.

And yes I'm sure that I have the MAC addresses correct - I had the same setup working fine on my old D-Link router.

Does anyone have a way to fix this or should I just e-Bay my Nighthawk and get a router that works ?

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the DSL modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Might find others regarding this that can help.

Thank you. 

Message 5 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mike21ff,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the D7000v2. We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for callback. Please provide the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
Mike21ff
Tutor

Hi,

Unfortunately Netgear are not interested as I am outside of the free support period.

Message 7 of 12

@Mike21ff wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately Netgear are not interested as I am outside of the free support period.

Yes, but @olympos1625 is a Netgear moderator and may be able to get around the rules.

You have nothing to lose by providing the requested information.

Message 8 of 12
Mike21ff
Tutor

Oliver,

Thanks for the offer of support - I have forwarded my contact details.

Message 9 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mike21ff,

You are welcome. We already endorse your case to the Level 2 Support.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
Mike21ff
Tutor

My thanks to @olympos1625  for putting me in touch with Netgear Level 2 support !

On their advice I rolled back the firmware to V1.0.0.66_1.0.2 and the situation has improved considerably -

Our phones are now reconnecting reliably when they come back into range, my two Sonos Play speakers are staying connected and I have been able to turn access control back on.

The list of attached devices in Advanced\Security\Access Control is still not correct - it seems to only show the wireless connections but I can live with that.

When I look in the log I can see that items which are permanently powered up such as the Sonos Play speakers appear to be re-issued the same IP address every 12 hours (these are not set to static IPs) but I guess this is just the normal lease expiry time ?

Message 11 of 12
Jammygit
Aspirant

My v2 straight up crashes every day on Plusnet and Vodafone. Netgear stuff sucks and they knew about this crashing issue. I wish I had returned mine within the warranty period but I was convinced they would release a patch, but they never did. Stick with TP-Link.

I was on V1.0.0.66_1.0.2 and just upgraded to 1.0.0.76 but since it's only "security fixes" I dount it'll fix the crashing.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7