Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 Won't Boot Correctly After Firmware Update

usernameTBD
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7000 Won't Boot Correctly After Firmware Update

Hello all,

I've had the Nighthawk D7000 modem/router for almost 1 year now. It worked flawlessly until the most recent firmware update (V1.0.1.48_1.0.1). After the update the router was no longer working correctly. So I factory reset and re-entered all settings. I then had issues with internet connectivity for a while.

Naturally I would attempt to reboot the router; however the power LED would remain amber after the boot cycle and I could no longer connect to internet. The wifi network was still available and I could connect to it but I can't browse the internet or login to the web GUI to see/change settings on the D7000. Pinging the router by IP address results in a typical response like there is no issue. If I factory reset the router, it will come back up no problem and work flawlessly until the next time it's rebooted. Then the same issue will occur.

I've verified internet connection by reseting my modem (provided by my ISP) to factory settings and using both wired and wireless connections with the modem only. I've tried downgrading the firmware of the D7000 to the previous version. I've tried restoring the D7000 from previously saved settings only to find the same issue occurs after the reboot required to restore settings.

Thankfully the router is under warranty and I recieved a replacement (thank you Netgear for the efficient customer support). The issue, is that I'm now experiencing the same thing with the new router. It worked perfectly when I got it. I set it up. Tried rebooting, worked fine. I upgraded the firmware, tried rebooting - back to the same issue. I will be contacting Netgear support to understand what the issue is but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing anything similar.

Has anyone else been having any issues after the most recent firmware upgrade? Is there any possible way changing certain settings would cause this type of issue? 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
usernameTBD
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D7000 Won't Boot Correctly After Firmware Update

Yes, I tried that and still experienced the same issue.

I've done some further troubleshooting and I noticed that after a factory reset without changing settings I was able to successfully reboot the device. I went through changing settings and rebooting the device until I experienced the same issue again and isolated it to the admin password that I was using. I won't put any details about the password I was using but changing the password fixed the issue with both devices. As far as I'm aware, I wasn't using any illegal characters or too long/too short, so I'm not sure why this was an issue.

In summary, if anybody else discovers they have this issue as well, try changing the login/admin password.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to revert to a older firmware?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
usernameTBD
Aspirant

Yes, I tried that and still experienced the same issue.

I've done some further troubleshooting and I noticed that after a factory reset without changing settings I was able to successfully reboot the device. I went through changing settings and rebooting the device until I experienced the same issue again and isolated it to the admin password that I was using. I won't put any details about the password I was using but changing the password fixed the issue with both devices. As far as I'm aware, I wasn't using any illegal characters or too long/too short, so I'm not sure why this was an issue.

In summary, if anybody else discovers they have this issue as well, try changing the login/admin password.

Message 3 of 4
oxeightyfive
Aspirant

i recenctly upgraded from the D6200 which has worked without fail for 3years,i thought it was time for a new one anyway and went with the D7000 because it looked and sounded good for my budget..

after the intial setup FW (V1.0.1.48_1.0.)1 it worked for a few hours then i it started dropping out the white INTERNET and DSL led would go out then within 30seconds or so it would come back online and reboot itself! very frustrating as this was happening every 20 minutes.

many calls to my ISP tried reseting and changing profiles and that to no avail!!

so i decided to revert back to FW V1.0.1.44 and have not had a drop out in 2 days touch wood

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7