Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 periodically losing wifi

ruzicka
Apprentice

Nighthawk D7000 periodically losing wifi

For the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that my D7000 will periodically lose its wifi broadcast.  The only way to get it back is to do a complete reset.  Then everything is fine....for a few days, and then it happens again.

A couple of weeks ago, when it all first started, I also noticed a dramatic drop in internet speed.  I was able to finally fix the speed issue by manually downloading the firmware and totally reinstalling it.  So my guess is that something in the firmware got corrupted.  Unfortunately though, the wifi still goes out on me.  Perhaps something in the firmware continues to be corrupted?

Any chance that something within the D7000 is overheating?  It does not feel to be very hot to the touch, but I am no expert.

Any constructive thoughts on this would be appreciated.  My D7000 is only a little bit over 1-year old, so out of warranty.  I'd hate to have to get an entirely new modem/router so soon!

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk D7000 periodically losing wifi

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 2 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ruzicka

Have you tried to do a factory reset yet?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

Every single time I've lost wifi, since reinstalling the firmware, the ONLY way I get it to come back is to do a factory reset.

Message 4 of 17

Try reflashing the firmware again. This has been known to solve problems in the past. Then do a factory reset.

Message 5 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

Perhaps I should note that I've now reflashed the latest firmware twice, and even tried an older firmware as well.  And then doing a factory reset each time afterwards. 

But you are suggesting that I do what I've already done twice now, redoing the firmware and then resetting, for a third time?  That somehow doing this again will do something that the previous attempts failed to do?

Message 6 of 17

@ruzicka wrote:

But you are suggesting that I do what I've already done twice now, redoing the firmware and then resetting, for a third time?  That somehow doing this again will do something that the previous attempts failed to do?

You did not mention this history in your earlier messages.

I was just going by what I read here.

Message 7 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

Fair enough.  I did though at least mention having reinstalled the firmware once, as well as doing a reset every time the wifi goes out.

Message 8 of 17

@ruzicka wrote:

Fair enough.  I did though at least mention having reinstalled the firmware once, as well as doing a reset every time the wifi goes out.

Once doesn't always stick, which is why even the Netgear people here sometimes advise it. More than once suggests a continuing problem.

A factory reset – using the "hole" in the back if there is one – is also recommended after a firmware update, even though it is not always needed.

Message 9 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

Understood.  Again, resets (pin in the hole at the back) have been done many, MANY times.

One thing that now looks encouraging....I recently switched the wifi channel selections from "auto" to specific channels.  So far, my wifi has not gone out, but I'll wait a bit longer before I have a final verdict on that.

Message 10 of 17

That reminds me, I have also seen reports here of people fixing wifi issues by limiting the upper mode for the allowed speed.

Perhaps the local wifi environment causes problems. I have the delight of living in effect in the middle of a field, with no other wifi sources within 50 metres or more.

Message 11 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

To be honest, I'm not sure why ANY changes in settings should be needed, as nothing appears to have otherwise changed.  My D7000 was, aside from some bufferbloat, working just fine until a few weeks ago.

Message 12 of 17
gregg6471
Aspirant

I have been having similar problems and just built a cooling pad out of one half of an old gaming graphics card.   If it makes any difference I will report back and let you know

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 13 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

I made one setting change that, so far at least, seems to be working.

I changed the wifi channel selection, for both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz, from "auto" to specific channels.  I did that a week or two ago and have thus far not lost my wifi.

Message 14 of 17

@ruzicka wrote:

I changed the wifi channel selection, for both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz, from "auto" to specific channels.  I did that a week or two ago and have thus far not lost my wifi.

Good move. "Change channels" is a standard suggestion but not normally in those circumstances.

So you could mark your explanation as Solved, so that if anyone turns up here with a similar issue there is a better chance that they will read this and try the same thing.

Message 15 of 17
gregg6471
Aspirant

I hope that works for you but I have had mine set up with specific channels for over 6 months and still seem to suffer dropouts. 

Message 16 of 17
ruzicka
Apprentice

I will wait longer to see if this "solves" my repeated loss of wifi.  I do not know if is related, but I have noticed that since I changed the channel selection from "auto", my download speeds seem to have decreased some.

The bottom line is though, Netgear designed and built this device to be able to operate properly using auto channel selection.  There should be no reason for it to totally lose all wifi with that setting unless something is wrong with either the firmware or device itself.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7