Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000v2 is the bane of my life

JCMD
Tutor

Nighthawk D7000v2 is the bane of my life

I have owned a D7000v2 since the last black Friday sale and today I sadly had to give up on it.  Issues encountered have included weekly Internet drop-outs, loss of WiFi SSIDs for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks and frequent complete failure of upnp (my household has two xbox ones and even with devices showing under upnp they frequently conflict.) 

Temporary resolution for these issues has ranged from tweaking individual settings, to software restarts and firmware rollback, to hard resets, to complete factory wipe with limited and short-lived success.  Nothing has fixed the issue.   A second replacement unit even had THE SAME ISSUES. 

Some may claim this is a fault on my network yet nothing has changed since updating from an aged belkin device which was retired only due to critical hardware failure.  Also,  I am not an IT lamen having worked as a network security engineer for the last 8 years, with a total of 14 years spent working in the IT industry...

There are dozens of similar posts across various forums (and by this stage I can claim to have read them all!) claiming the same issues with zero resolution provided by Netgear. 

So that's my plight.. 

I wanted to post this here, almost out of desparation, as I KNOW that many others are still having the same issues and am genuinely hoping that Netgear will respond with some news on a firmware post 1.0.0.53 that actually brings these in line with both their own superior devices and their competitors as I can honestly say this has been the worst experience that I have EVER had with home computing equipment.   My faith in Netgear is sadly broken. 

P. S. This is not the fabled Google driver issue with network connected devices...  Everything IoT on my network is fully up to date. 

Message 1 of 8
nicola1234
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D7000v2 is the bane of my life

I have exactly the same problem - I kept attempting to change and tweak all sort of parameters until I had to accept

that there is nothing I can do to stop the D7000v2 freezing at random times (usually once per day).  It is clearly

a firmware bug.  Looking forward to a firmware update that fixes the issues.

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 2 of 8

Lots of stuff in there. Hard to know where to begin. But on the basis that it helps to sort out one thing at a time, let's look at this one. It may be a symptom of an underlying issue that causes some of the other issues.

@JCMD wrote:

(my household has two xbox ones and even with devices showing under upnp they frequently conflict.) 

There's a load of messages here about Xbox issues. They boil down to getting the setting right on the router and the Xboxes. Talk of upnp rarely gets mentioned here as a cause of issues or a way to mend things.

The usual forum search is a good place to start.

There are dozens of similar posts across various forums (and by this stage I can claim to have read them all!) claiming the same issues with zero resolution provided by Netgear. 

We don't need you to read them all, but because there are so many, it can help to highlight one or two that you reckon to be the same thing. I'd be particular careful to follow anything that talks of putting two Xboxes together. Have you also take this issue out to the Xbox world? Sure, there are Xbox users there, but probably few real experts.

The fact that you had "limited and short-lived success" suggests that there may be something subtle going on elsewhere in the network.

It is a sad fact of life that these things are complicated. Most people sail by with no problems – they don't show up here because it is all about stuff that goes wrong – but that doesn't help the people who get clobbered.

Message 3 of 8

@nicola1234 wrote:

I have exactly the same problem

You have two Xboxes on the network?

@nicola1234 wrote:

It is clearly a firmware bug. 

Have you tried loading an earlier version?

Message 4 of 8
t1m_
Guide

If we don't get firmware fixes for these issues that are currently plaguing the D7000, I'm going back to individual devices. 

I recommend Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, Unifi Nano HD AP and VDSL modem of your choice in bridge mode. Being a network security engineer, you'll appreciate this setup.

Message 5 of 8
JCMD
Tutor

The xboxes shouldn't be an issue whatsoever (in 2019...) because these are the kind of devices that upnp is designed to accommodate. Most issues encountered by people adding these to the network is due to upnp being disabled or by port conflicts which can be easily rectified on the console itself. The fact that on occasion neither device appears on the upnp listing suggests that they are not being handled correctly.

Additionally, short lived success from restarting a router does not automatically point to underlying issues with the network - it could literally be anything from how the router handles the traffic to simple overheating. This isn't an enterprise grade network at the end of the day. I have literally disconnected every device for periods of time to see if they could be a factor, as well as updating individual device software and firmware just incase. On each occasion the router became unresponsive after a few days and needed either a power cycle or factory reset. The router is the common factor.

To provide an update to my OP, I have been running a TP-link AC-1900 for the last few days (a competing router in the same. Price range) since giving up on the nighthawk and I have as yet encountered zero issues. Upnp is working flawlessly and I have not had a single instance where the router has become unresponsive. Its early days so I will update accordingly.
Message 6 of 8
nicola1234
Aspirant

I experience exactly the same daily issues with the D7000v2 - it simply stops responding for no reason whatsoever and the only way

to get my network back is to reboot it - and I don't have an Xbox.  My network is the simplest possible home network: an internet

connection, and a laptop and a mobile phone that connect to the router over WiFi.  The previous router I had in exactly the same

configuration worked absolutely fine.

To be fair, the problem started a few weeks after I installed the D7000v2.  I don't know if this helps, but for the first couple of weeks

everything was working fine (same as with the previous router).  Unfortunately that lulled me into a false sense of security so I gave

away my old router and now I'm stuck with the problem.

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 7 of 8
JCMD
Tutor

This seems to be the same story for everyone experiencing issues sadly.

Its a shame that Netgear don't have the integrity to admit that the product is at fault. A lack of firmware updates over the last 4 months just solidifies the fact to me that they have washed their hands of it.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7