Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000v2 login connection reset, cannot log in again

MartinMorrisMan
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7000v2 login connection reset, cannot log in again

I have reset my modem and successfully connected using both the genie and 192.168.0.1 - ONCE

I now cannot gain access to the login page. This is not a username/password issue as I cannot even get that far. Genie now just shows the 'timer' wheel while the browser responds with 'The connection was reset'.

I reset the modem because this problem had cropped up. It worked OK for my first login, I was able to set the name for a device on the ethernet and to make its address fixed. However when I did the same for another device, the web page just showed the timer wheel, I gave up after five minutes. Now all attempts to connect to the modem home page fail as described.

Any ideas on how to kick it out of this mode and how to prevent it next time, as I assume that I will have to reset it and try to set it up again?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MartinMorrisMan
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D7000v2 login connection reset, cannot log in again

It works now at least - using 192.168.0.1 from PC and phone, the same address I have always been using.

Solution, or at least temporary fix: After trying many times resetting the modem, ipconfig release and renew on PC, shutting PC down and restarting and still with no access to the modem (by access, I mean getting the admin username and password request) I did this:

Switched modem off for over one hour, restarted and reset the modem. Simple. It does not have a battery - I looked when I first got it.

Perhaps it's overheating. All I can do is to stand it higher off the table.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Martin

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

@MartinMorrisMan wrote:

I now cannot gain access to the login page.

How are you going about this? Mobile app? Desktop browser? Wired? Wifi?

What address are you using?

What happens when you try?

"Cannot gain access" misses important diagnostic clues. These things usually throw up error messages or some other clue as to what is going on.

Is this it?

Genie now just shows the 'timer' wheel while the browser responds with 'The connection was reset'.

You refer to the "genie". This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

The Netgear genie for mobiles does not claim to support the D7000v2.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

But that may just be a mistake on Netgear's website.

What does this bit mean?

I was able to set the name for a device on the ethernet and to make its address fixed.

Which address? Which device? Fixed how?

Do you mean you "Reserved" an IP address for something in our network?

Message 2 of 7
MartinMorrisMan
Aspirant

Michael. Thanks for taking time to help.
1. Desk top, wired
2. 192.168.0.1 ( as did work previously)
3.Browser times out with the message previously mentioned.
4. No other message.
5. Sorry, is this what?
6. All this is on desk top
Sorry, was a bit unclear in my last statement, I was trying to allocate a fixed IP and change the default name of an item connected via wifi. I feel that this is where the Nighthawk fell over. I managed this once and applied the change. I then called up the managem screen again to fix another IP. On trying to apply the change, the application froze with just the timer wheel ( radial lines).
When this first happened, not even powering off the modern would clear it which is why I did the factory reset, only to find that after one successful connection, it locked out again. Access to internet and some other devices on the wifi is ok.

I have tried 192.168.0.1 from other PCs and mobile, these too just time out.

Once again, thanks for your time.

I would suspect a software bug in the modem management.
Message 3 of 7

Tried a different browser? These are getting increasingly severe in things that they block.

Sorry, was a bit unclear in my last statement, I was trying to allocate a fixed IP and change the default name of an item connected via wifi.

Where possible, it can be easier to set the IP address on the wifi client itself. Printers usually allow this.

When this first happened, not even powering off the modern would clear it which is why I did the factory reset, only to find that after one successful connection, it locked out again. Access to internet and some other devices on the wifi is ok.

If this is a windows PC, this too can block access to what it sees as a "new" network. 

I would suspect a software bug in the modem management.

If you mean the firmware on the D7000v2, that's possible. But I don't recall seeing a pile of complaints here. You could always try installing older firmware on the modem/router.

Which firmware do you have now?

Message 4 of 7
MartinMorrisMan
Aspirant

Thanks again,

I normally use Firefox, I have tried Edge as well as Firefox on another PC and from phone. All get the same result - timed out.

I accept what you say about setting the IP address, but as the modem claimed the ability to retain the address allocation I thought I would be able to do that and set all my devices in one place.

Don't know what the current firmware is, it won't let me in! But I think it did claim that no updates were pending, so I assume the latest.

I had hoped that this was a known issue so to save taking up any more time and while I have not yet set up the modem, usb, share access e.t.c. I will reset it once again and see how I can provoke it again so at least I will know what not to do.

If I find anything consistent then I will report it here.

Regards

Martin

Message 5 of 7

@MartinMorrisMan wrote:

But I think it did claim that no updates were pending, so I assume the latest.

Not, sadly, a reliable test.

The latest firmware is pretty recent.

D7000v2 Firmware Version 1.0.0.82 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Ever tried playing with the desktop genie for Windows?

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

I will reset it once again and see how I can provoke it again so at least I will know what not to do.

Good move.

I had hoped that this was a known issue

Nothing I can see with that particular bug:

Search - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 7
MartinMorrisMan
Aspirant

It works now at least - using 192.168.0.1 from PC and phone, the same address I have always been using.

Solution, or at least temporary fix: After trying many times resetting the modem, ipconfig release and renew on PC, shutting PC down and restarting and still with no access to the modem (by access, I mean getting the admin username and password request) I did this:

Switched modem off for over one hour, restarted and reset the modem. Simple. It does not have a battery - I looked when I first got it.

Perhaps it's overheating. All I can do is to stand it higher off the table.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Martin

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7