Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000v2 won't connect to internet - authentication problem

jemini344
Tutor

Nighthawk D7000v2 won't connect to internet - authentication problem

I have just switched to fibre-to-cabinet broadband and now my router won't connect to the internet.  In the house everything connects by cable & WiFi.  My ISP advises me that it is an authentication problem but they do fix Netgear routers.

I've done a factory reset the settings and they aare now

Transfer mode: PTM(VDSL)

DSL mode: VDSL2

multiplex: LLC

encapsulation: PPPoE

How do i get the router to authenticate?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jemini344
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk D7000v2 won't connect to internet - authentication problem

Problem solved.

I notice the contribution telling me "don't say don't" has disappeared which is good because if I want writing advice I'll go to acreative writing forum 🙂

The solution is setting the VLANID.  The tick box was blank as was the ID.  Using the genie again this time came back with:

PPPoE

VC instead of LLC

VPI =0

VCI=38

VLANID=101

If I untick the VLANID box the connection breaks.  I'm not sure what all this means - I think it is related to Plusnet offering IPTV.

However, a good connection with the Guest login protecting the rest of my kit.  And at least the Netgear box is configurable whereas the Plusnet router is a black box that doesn't reveal what settings it uses 😞

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies

@jemini344 wrote:

I have just switched to fibre-to-cabinet broadband and now my router won't connect to the internet. 

Missing details include what sort of Internet you get. You say VDSL, but there are different flavours of VDSL. Bonded DSL, for example, which Netgear's modem/routers do not support.

A quick way to get help might be to tell people which ISP you have.

Does this unnamed ISP have a list of modems known to work on its network?

If the ISP has a user community, that might also be worth consulting.

My ISP advises me that it is an authentication problem but they do fix Netgear routers.

Apart from not understanding the last bit of that sentence – is there a not missing? – I wouldn't take an ISP's advice as gospel. A default response is "blame the router".

Do the DSL connection logs give any clues as to what is going wrong during the connection process?

Message 2 of 8
jemini344
Tutor

Thank you for point out my omissions.  The ISP is PlusNet; they do not support Netgear routers.  Plusnet actively discourage their techies from tackling 3rd party kit.

However, I got through to a helpful guy at PlusNet this afternoon & we spent 3/4 hour trying to resolve the problem without success - I could hear his frustration.  He thinks it is an authentication problem which for him means it's not logging in succcessfully.  The login name checks out and we reset the password a couple of time without success.

1.     he didn't recognise what Bonded DSL is so I can't answer tht question

2.     after a factory reset and reconnecting to the line the router adopted these settings

Transfer Mode:  PTM (VDSL)

DSL Mode: VDSL2

Multiplexing: LLC   

Encapsulation: PPPoE

3      My reading of this is that the router is detecting the line and adapting settings but fails to log in at the ISP's server

4.     After changing settings & clicking on Apply the Internet light flashes for the first 1/4 of the progress bar, then goes blue but at the 3/4 point becomes steady red

He thought the settings should be VDSL/VC/PPPoA but the router doesn't seem to like that.  In the end we gave up.

Just a note the Plusnet router works fine but it looks low-powered (no aerials swinging in the draughts 🙂 and doesn't have a guest account to keep visitors away from my home network. 

I run a motorcycle club and with GDPR need to keep things secure.  I've tried using the Netgear as an access point but then the Guest account can access the whole network with no option to turn this off.

So I'm really hoping you guys can help

Jem

Message 3 of 8

@jemini344 wrote:

Thank you for point out my omissions.  The ISP is PlusNet; they do not support Netgear routers.

Unless they mean that they do not understand how to use Netgear routers, which is quite likely, whoever you talked to at PlusNet was telling porkies.

PlusNet is just BT with annoying ads and lower prices. Thousands of people, like me, use Netgear on BT.

1.     he didn't recognise what Bonded DSL is so I can't answer tht question

Telling us who you have as an ISP is the key. Now that we know that, we can ignore that one. PlusNet (OpenReach) doesn't do bonded.

@jemini344 wrote:

Plusnet actively discourage their techies from tackling 3rd party kit.

Yet more proof that they are a bunch of sh*ts who need a good kicking.

I had an OpenReach techie here last week. (It maintains the network that BT, OpenReach and others use.) He said that OpenReach had told ISPs to stop supplying modems and to deliver combined modem/routers. Unfortunately, BT supplies junk hardware that denies the use of modem-only (bridge) mode. I suspect that PlusNet has a similar "stuff the customer" approach.

Did you tell the D7000v2 to use its wizard to set up the connection?

He thought the settings should be VDSL/VC/PPPoA but the router doesn't seem to like that.  In the end we gave up.

BT uses PPPoE.

Try this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – plusnet

Not all of that stuff is relevant.

You could also look at BT's advice on connecting.

You have left out a few details.

Login is your email address, or justthe dimain bit.

Password is blank.

Message 4 of 8
jemini344
Tutor

Problem solved.

I notice the contribution telling me "don't say don't" has disappeared which is good because if I want writing advice I'll go to acreative writing forum 🙂

The solution is setting the VLANID.  The tick box was blank as was the ID.  Using the genie again this time came back with:

PPPoE

VC instead of LLC

VPI =0

VCI=38

VLANID=101

If I untick the VLANID box the connection breaks.  I'm not sure what all this means - I think it is related to Plusnet offering IPTV.

However, a good connection with the Guest login protecting the rest of my kit.  And at least the Netgear box is configurable whereas the Plusnet router is a black box that doesn't reveal what settings it uses 😞

Message 5 of 8

@jemini344 wrote:

PPPoE

VC instead of LLC

VPI =0

VCI=38

VLANID=101

Good one.

Those are DSL modem settings. Mine are buried away in the modem in front of the router.

The  manuals tells us:

"Select the Use VLANID check box and enter the VLAN ID, as indicated by your ISP."

It is a pity that Plusnet makes it hard for people to find those details.

When you say "Using the genie", Netgear makes life entertaining by having two or three different genies. Was that the browser graphical user interface (GUI)? The Internet setup wizard?

It isn't relevant to your current issue, but the desktop genie is worth having if you haven't found it yet. (Netgear wants ti suppress it and keeps moving the files around.)

Fortunately, it is still there in the support pages for your device. Catch it while you can.

A persistent troublemaker who turns up here from time to time, with the sole aim of upsetting people, as you have discovered. Keeping them out is a game of whack-a-mole.

Message 6 of 8
jemini344
Tutor

Michael,

thanks for your comments.  I did a factory reset then selected Genie after it restarted.  I hadn't seen that bit in the manual about "use the VLANID your ISP supplies" so I'm disappointed the tech advisor thought it wasn't needed.

Curiously Plusnet do not give an e-mail address for broadband support only a phone number & I'm not going to sit at the phone waiting for it to be picked up so I can update them.  I think they are missing the point that while a phone number is great, online chat & e-mail also have their place 

Message 7 of 8

@jemini344 wrote:

Curiously Plusnet do not give an e-mail address for broadband support only a phone number & I'm not going to sit at the phone waiting for it to be picked up so I can update them. 

Typical.

That's why I usually suggest using BT's support community. More customers and a bigger community.

Plusnet is essentially the same thing as BT. The settings are mostly the same. Most DSL in the UK rides on the back of OpenReach and BT.

I see that there is a Plusnet community.

The trouble is that you have to know what you are looking for.

Search - Plusnet Community – VLANID

That's great, after the event. But not much help when troubleshooting.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7