Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7800 AC2600 NBN with FTTC

DarcyVM
Initiate

Nighthawk D7800 AC2600 NBN with FTTC

I have the exact same issue as this thread

Netgear Nighthawk Router D7800 - NBN configuration    

I'm with the same ISP (iinet) and my line is also FTTC.
If the moderator had answered the question I wouldn't be creating this new thread.
Yes, other people have made posts about configuring NBN with this device. I haven't found one that is about FTTC connections (except for the above link, where the question was dismissed).
Could someone PLEASE provide instruction as to how to set up this modem/router to work with FTTC NBN.
Every bit of advice from Netgear for NBN is in relation to FTTP, FFTH, FTTN or FTTB.
FTTC isn't mentioned once in this link:
https://kb.netgear.com/30439/What-is-an-NBN-network-and-is-my-NETGEAR-DSL-modem-router-compatible

I'm sure if this issue is addressed, this thread will be instructive/helpful to future users like myself that have been wracking their brains trying to get their FTTC NBN to work with a Nighthawk D7800.  

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 18
DarcyVM
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk D7800 AC2600 NBN with FTTC

My ISP said their technician has reported that this modem/router is incompatible with FTTC NBN. So... if you have FTTC NBN and you're with iiNet. Get a different router/modem. That appears to be the answer. Really annoying it took that long to figure out that "NBN Ready" on the box, doesn't actually means all types of NBN.
Message 2 of 18
dJOS_500
Guide

ignore what the ISP says, It's really easy to configure Nighthawk routers with NBN FTTC, just plug the supplied ethernet cable into the FTTC NBN NCD (aka Modem) Ethernet port and from there into the WAN port on your Nighthawk.

In the Nighthawk setup, manually configure your internet config and at the top of the page where it says "Does your Internet connection require a login?", select "No" and leave everything else as "Get from ISP", then Apply the settings.

Wait a couple of mins for the Nighthawk to connect and voila, the Internet is all your.  

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 3 of 18
TedDeane
Aspirant

Please look at these setting int eh image
There was a very samll settin change I had to make but can remember what is was so follow all the settings int eh image

Message 4 of 18

@DarcyVM wrote:

Yes, other people have made posts about configuring NBN with this device. I haven't found one that is about FTTC connections (except for the above link, where the question was dismissed).

No one dismissed your question. But you clearly dismissed the answer. That just told you where to look for answers and that you had put your message in the wrong place.

Let's get back to basics.

The D7800 is a DSL modem/router. FTTC in Oz is not DSL.

The problem with the label FTTC is that it means different things in different places. In the UK it means "fibre to the cabinet", the green box up the street. In Oz it is Fibre to the Curb, which may or may not be the same thing.

Don't take my word for it:

nbn Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) | nbn 

You have actually come up with the answer yourself. The D7800 is not compatible with DSL but it is compatible with the modem that you use to connect to the Internet.

That is what @dJOS_500 is telling you.

In other words, bypass the modem and you are in business.

The problem is that Netgear's KnowledgeBase article is misleading. (It really would be a good idea if @ChristineT got the support team to update that article.) It says that the D7800 is compatible with NBN. That is true, but it does not say that this is only if you use the D7800 as a router and bypass the modem.

In that case, the D7800 is compatible with any Internet you care to throw at it, but it is the wrong thing to buy, or sell, if you don't need the modem bit.

The fact that NBN and Netgear don't know what they are doing should surprise no one. NBN is a case study in how not to introduce a national broadband system.

How Australia Bungled Its $36 Billion High-Speed Internet Rollout 

I gather that the bill has gone up since then.

Message 5 of 18
dJOS_500
Guide

The NBN was a great idea and being well executed ...... until the Conservatives got in and destroyed it on behalf of Murdoch who saw it as a threat to his Foxtel PayTV monoploly. The LNP even launched their #FraudBand policy, aka MtM, at Fox Studios in Sydney, doesnt get more blatant than that!

Message 6 of 18
Simon-C
Initiate

Hey mate, all you need to do for NBN FTTC with this router is the following:

log in to your router> select internet tab> country Australia> select service provider if not listed select other> do not check the use VLANID> check no for does your internet require a log in> internet IP Address check get Dynamically from ISP> Domain Name server (DNS) check get automatically from ISP> Router MAC Address check Use Default Adress.

one final step you may need to do is go into your advanced tab at the top left of the page> click the setup tab> click on WAN Setup> under WAN preference select Must use Ethernet WAN.

You should be good to go from here. Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 18

@dJOS_500 wrote:

The NBN was a great idea and being well executed ...... until the Conservatives got in and destroyed it on behalf of Murdoch who saw it as a threat to his Foxtel PayTV monoploly.

Politicians get in and upscrew a decent engineering project? Who would have thought it?

Message 8 of 18

@Simon-C wrote:

Hey mate, all you need to do for NBN FTTC with this router is the following:

log in to your router> select internet tab> country Australia> select service provider if not listed select other> do not check the use VLANID> check no for does your internet require a log in> internet IP Address check get Dynamically from ISP> Domain Name server (DNS) check get automatically from ISP> Router MAC Address check Use Default Adress.

one final step you may need to do is go into your advanced tab at the top left of the page> click the setup tab> click on WAN Setup> under WAN preference select Must use Ethernet WAN.

You should be good to go from here. Hope this helps.

Good input.

If @DarcyVM can confirm that this works for them, it would be good to mark this as Solved. That would help other victims who turn up with the same issue.

Message 9 of 18
gskiathi
Tutor

I’m with Optus have FTTC(curb) , I’ve used the NBN “device” successfully with the 7800 as a router. I’m looking at utilizing the 7800 as a modem too , FTTC uses VDSL2. With Optus no user I’d is needed , I’ve taken the MAC address from the NBN device, my fist test failed, the 7800’s firmware is up to date , any ideas on vectoring?
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 10 of 18

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Message 11 of 18
dJOS_500
Guide

You can’t use anything but the NBN FTTC modem, NBN won’t allow it. They learned from the mistake they made with FTTN which is a real crap show from a support point of view.
Message 12 of 18

@dJOS_500 wrote:
You can’t use anything but the NBN FTTC modem, NBN won’t allow it.

Really? Some people seem to succeed.

Then again, NBN is implemented by many different Internet service providers.

Here's a good place to start:

“NBN” - Whirlpool Forums

Message 13 of 18
dJOS_500
Guide

You are getting FTTC and FTTN mixed up, FTTN can use consumer modems, HFC, FTTP and FTTC all require the use of the NBN supplied NTD.
Message 14 of 18
gskiathi
Tutor

Thanks dJOS, I’m new to NBN and all its platforms, (was on ADSL2+) , looks like to NBN device is here to stay. 😞
Message 15 of 18
bmm
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks  @Simon-C.   This got me most of the way to connecting for iinet fttc.

The only differences I needed to use for iinet came from the webpage  https://help.iinet.net.au/o/iinet-broadband-settings-list

I needed to change:  service provider to "other", set VLAN ID to 2 and to leave the login name and password active.  All other settings (including "use ethernet/WAN") were the same.  Hope this helps the next person.

Message 16 of 18
YGray
Aspirant

Hi I have used the above instructions but cannot connect to NBN.  It's all very odd as I connected fine a month ago. The NBN box stopped working. It's been replaced but I can't get back on and my ISP have been no help. What can I do next?

Message 17 of 18

@YGray wrote:

Hi I have used the above instructions but cannot connect to NBN.  It's all very odd as I connected fine a month ago. The NBN box stopped working. It's been replaced but I can't get back on and my ISP have been no help. What can I do next?

You have just joined in on an year-old discussion.

We have no idea if your system is anything like the original.

We don't know what instructions you followed and where it went wrong, or why you took a ride on this conversation.

Remember, FTTC on NBN is not DSL (see above), which is what the D7800 works on.

You'd stand a better chance of getting help if you started a fresh conversation with more details of your set up.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7