Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D8500 "No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router Internet Port " after NB

Chad2672
Aspirant

Nighthawk D8500 "No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router Internet Port " after NBN is turned on

Subject lines says it all, the modem was working fine on ADSL2 connection with Telstra early this morning and then my service was changed over to Telstra NBN around 8am and no matter what l have tried l still get "No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

I have update to the latest firmware TWICE just to be sure, l have done a factory reset and still no change and so l am pulling my hair out it is stated that this router modem is compatible to use with the NBN.

Message 1 of 9

Re: Nighthawk D8500 "No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router Internet Port " after NB

What sort of NBN do you have?

Is your D8500 compatible with it?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Did Telstra supply any new hardware that you added?

There is a manual for the D8500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 9
Chad2672
Aspirant

Woops sorry about leaving out that detail....the NBN is FTTN which Netgear state the D8500 to be compatible with.

Yes Telstra did supply their Gen 2 Modem which l didn't want and in theory they shouldn't of set it because l wasn't a new Telstra Broadband/NBN customer which l think was their no cost for the modem criterea. But thank god they did because if they hadn't l would not be typing this!

And this is the point, it's fair to say that there is something wrong by default with D8500 because if it's compatible with FTTN NBN then there is something misaligned here. And l've looked at the manual prior to my original post but l'm not aware that it is NBN specific if there is such a thing which l would need because l don't have the knowledge manually to make adjustments because it's not obvious to me what would be the incorrect setting by default.

But it is logic that there is some setting in the D8500 by default that is not compatible because you can't even run the Gennie function.

I have used the same cabling between the computer and the phone line input on the wall for both modems and the same result...Telstra modem works and the D8500 doesn't.

Hope this helps to get a slightly clearer picture of why l posted originally.    

Message 3 of 9

How are you setting up the D8500 to work on NBN?

If it is the wizard, try a manual configuration. Ask Telstra for the appropriate settings.

Message 4 of 9
Chad2672
Aspirant

Well initally l tried a manual approch but trying to find any support pages from Telstra's website that stated the settings for FTTN using a compatible modem other then theirs was not successful....hence l thought l'd try the automted wizard but the outcome was the same.

If anyone can point to where Telstra has documentation for the applicable "advanced" settings for modems other than their modem which is dumbed down...."If the green light is flashing etc...." then that would be great because l searched thoughout yesterday and couldn't find any info on Telstra's site.   

Message 5 of 9
80njc80
Apprentice

I had this issue when I was setting up the D7800 with a new FTTN Telstra connection.  From what I remember the error was only for display purposes, but the configuration was actually working in the background.  Did you let it run when the error appeared?  It could be a timeout error display, but everything is working in the background...

It annoyed me at the time, but it did eventually work.  I think I posted something about it in the past.  Try search for it.

Message 6 of 9
Chad2672
Aspirant

No l didn't wait as l had no reason to think it was GUI issue mainly because the connection light on the modem never went off orange.....so l would assume if the light on the modem is orange then you are going no where....but l'll give it a shot.

Message 7 of 9

Message 8 of 9
Chad2672
Aspirant

No sorry unfortunately none of those settings made a difference.....I'm ready to smash this piece of $600 scrap over my knee! 

This is a fundemental flaw when it is suposedly compatible for NBN FTTN use, yet it can't even see that there is a connection, and that Netgear obviously has no idea why otherwise they would have documentation on how to address.

The fact that other Netgear modem routers seem to have this problem and if it is solved from what l've seen on posts its like "factory reset, stand on your head, wait til the moon is at a certain orbit to the earth, restart the modem....and see if that works cos that was the only way l could get it to work" 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7